NFS Carbon Automation World (DISCUSSION)

Okaay so like the idea all started when I thought what if we compiled a bunch of cars from Automation into a racing game, what would be in it? Then I started playing NFSC and as dumb as the tuner/exotic/muscle split is it’s still fun to make some sort of faction mechanic and the game really made you feel immersed when you pick a side. So I thought what if we made an NFS Carbon style car list and challenge for the forum?

This is currently a discussion thread so feel free to tell me advice or tell me the thread is shit and I should go away.

##HOW THE GAME IS PLAYED

First, those willing to participate should enter their names in a list. From that list the participants will be split into 3 teams, Bushido, 21st Street, and TFK. If you’ve played the game then you would know where this leads, Bushido can only use tuners, 21st Street can only use Muscle, and TFK can only use exotics. In the game, the hierarchy goes muscle > exotic > tuner. If we tried it with this game I guarantee you exotics would slaughter everything. Now here’s where the rules come in to play.

General rules

1. Excepting tires, you get 30 quality points to play with.
  2. You cannot do any form of intentional weight reduction (Ex. removing seats or stereo, but having a lighter transmission is allowed) due to the game not allowing you to do so.
  3. You cannot put on active components such as aero and suspension. If the car comes with them stock you have to either take it off or leave the aero stock from factory.
  4. The year cap is 2006
  5. I want to somehow include driver skill as a factor. Squidhead’s calculation allows mistake chances from certain factors, therefore I believe a skill modifier could work if i just borrow his calculations if he allowed me. How it will work is that you can trade driver skill for more quality points or an extra leeway in power if you are feeling lucky.

Rules and Perks for Tuners

1. Allowed Semi Slicks to a level of +10
  2. 600 BHP Maximum power cap (Tier 3) 450 BHP Maximum Power cap (Tier 2) 300 BHP Maximum power cap (Tier 1)
  3. Allowed 2x wing and 2x lip

Rules and Perks for Muscle

1. Allowed Sports Tires to a level of +10
  2. 1000 BHP Maximum Power cap (Tier 3) 600 HP Maximum Power cap (Tier 2) 400 BHP Maximum Power cap (Tier 1)
  3. Allowed 1x wing and 1x lip only

Rules and Perks for Exotic

1. Allowed semi slicks to a level of +3
  2. Max 30% more power than stock (Tier 3) Max 40% more power than stock (Tier 2) Max 50% more power than stock (Tier 1)
  3. Allowed 1x wing and 2x lip only.

Events will be discussed in this thread. I initially wanted time attacks and canyon duels but I’m not too sure how the calculations will work.

NOMINATE CARS FOR THE CAR LIST HERE

Tuner

(Tier 1)
x.

(Tier 2)
x.

(Tier 3)
x.

Muscle

(Tier 1)
x.

(Tier 2)
x.

(Tier 3)
x.

Exotic

(Tier 1)
x.

(Tier 2)
x.

(Tier 3)
x.

8 Likes

Well, from having played almost to end-game twice, I can say I’d be interested. (As for why I’ve only ever gotten almost and not quite finished, both times I played Carbon, as I got close to finishing the game, the HDD for my computer failed. I know it’s an unrelated event, but you can see how that might sour my desire to try it again.)

Not sure where I’d stand on the three teams, because I can easily see myself in two different ones. First play of Carbon, I went down the Tuner path, second time, down the Muscle path, so I know a little of both.

Can’t nominate anything into the lists right now, but it seems interesting enough.

2 Likes

You’re entering as tuners and drivers here. Enter per username and they will be divided by lottery.

3 Likes

Which is muscle and which is exotic (don’t mind the quote broke the numbering)

Sorry the percentages one is for exotics… I’ve fixed the OP

TBH I can find the tuners and muscle easy… the exotics though…

I’d definitely be on the Muscle team.

So are we nominating pre-existing cars on the forums to the category they’d fit in, or are we building new ones to the specs?

If it’s pre-existing, could I nominate my own car?

Entrants are drawn by lottery to make it fun and will all be in a team.

I haven’t finalized what cars go into what tiers yet… Maybe I’ll start coming up with a limit soon…

How about:

Tuner

Tier 1: 200 HP max stock

Tier 2: 300 HP max stock

Tier 3: 450 hp max stock

Muscle

Tier 1: 300 HP stock

Tier 2: 450 HP Stock

Tier 3: 600 HP stock

Exotic

Tier 1: 180 HP/Tonne (To prevent Elise clones from ruining the competition)

Tier 2: 280 HP/Tonne

Tier 3: 400 HP/Tonne

2 Likes

It’s been a decade since I last played Need for Speed: Carbon, and I only followed the Tuner path (although I had a go at customizing cars from the other two categories), ultimately defeating Darius by overtaking him in the first part of the canyon duel against him - with an Impreza, of all things! Considering how awesome it felt for me to pull it off, my interest is certainly piqued… but I would prefer to join 21st Street and build a muscle car, although I would fancy a go with a tuner or exotic car as well.

Also, will we have a maximum budget to stay under? Can we use semi-active suspension components (even though active ones are prohibited)? And what fuel types will be provided? At any rate, I agree with the power-to-weight ratio and maximum output limits which have been proposed.

The challenge is different in that you don’t have a budget to deal with but you do have 30 quality sliders for trim outside of tires to invest in whatever. If we can get the driver skill mechanic working well (basically trading chances that you will do well for a potentially better car).

I personally be contributing to a few cars to choose from. Not too much though, it would be boring to see an entire car list of Dimensions.

If the car comes with it, it’s ok, but you are not allowed to add it. Active aero too.

Also I beat Darius in a Supra and Impreza… not hard at all if you can not fall into red in the canyon duel, there will be a spot you can very easily pass.

1 Like

So how will this work?

I’ll set my name on a list and then get randomly assigned a car ‘category’ and whether I’m a tuner or a driver? What does a driver do in this challenge?

No, you put your name in, you get assigned into one of the three crews. You pick a car to tune from the available selection. The driver mechanic is kinda inspired by Squidhead’s mistake chance system. So initially you start at driver skill say 1 where the driver is guaranteed to make no mistakes. How I plan it to work is that you can reduce your driver skill therefore increasing chances of a mistake to trade it for quality points or extra power above the limits set.

IDK maybe I’m over-complicating things.

2 Likes

Oh, so it’s actually less complicated than I thought. A challenge based on NFS Carbon sounds interesting, I’ve spent quite a few hours in that game :smiley:

Is it intended for people in the same crew actually working together and planning their strategy, or is everyone on his own? First would be awesome, but is very experimental in terms of working out or not.

I was planning it to be the former so people can actually share what they know about the game.

Also I’ll add it into the rules that effectively bans sleepers so you have the rice the cars for maximum NFSness.

2 Likes

Will entrants be assigned to a crew and tier at random after putting their name in?

Anyway, I never had any intention of submitting a sleeper - I have always preferred to add big wings to whatever car I plan to submit for this challenge.

You do say that quality points are linked to driver skill… driveability doesn’t affect lap times then?

It does. If we were to run with the same calcs squid had on his competition, it would take place of the weather modifier, which fits the game’s theme since weather does jack shit to your driving in NFSC.

5 Likes

Loved this idea! Give me two weeks and you’ll got some cars from Gamma to your cars list, mostly tuners.

Let me ask you, in real life a NSX and a MR2 would fit in tuners or exotics? Because the Gamma Surge is based in this two cars and even tough it has a MR engine position, it’ll only use I4s and V6s for it’s entire life.

The MR2 was in the game as a special reward (not drivable in career mode) and was rated a tuner.

The NSX I’d personally say is an exotic, but could be both. Depends on how much ‘supercar’ your Surge is.

Edit: After looking at the car, it seems like a tuner that wants to be an exotic :joy:

1 Like

:joy: Yeah, that was more or less the intention

1 Like

i’m down for this!