[PDC] Political Design Challenge Round 16: Rule of Three

@Xepy and I present

PDC16 - Rule of Three

He-he-here we go!

Lore

Bon Jobi came out of nowhere during the 2020 Gasmea Presidential Election. Formerly Vice President under Tony Omama and mayor of Harford, this cycle started with over 20 candidates across the whole spectrum of progressive to conservative. Bon dodged plenty of flak by sitting somewhere in the middle. As his primary rivals dropped off, he remained the larger challenger to sitting president Howard Stump.

Triumph was his after various scandals plagued the incumbent, and on 21st January 2021, Bon and his running mate, Kami Ramirez, took up the roles of president and vice president.

The transition, however, was less than smooth. Stump did not offer much in niceties or notes, only providing the latter a few weeks prior to inauguration. On the 21st, he stumbled out of office as dawn torched the clouds. Bon inherited a pit of debt twice the size from his Omama days. Various offices were stacked with allies of the previous administration. Infrastructure lagged behind the neighboring Fruinia’s equivalent. At least the stock market looked strong.

Though Jobi noticed something more egregious at play. Come inauguration’s end, his motorcade came to pick him up. Déjà vu is expected should a vice president become a president in his own right, but the scene felt too much like 2009. The Edelgard and Thanos convoy looked no different from a decade ago. That coffee stain by his limousine seat looked familiar - perhaps it was that 2015 awfully hot coffee pot incident?

Why is this cupholder broken, too? How does the seat only recline half of what it should? When did this wood grain get so sticky?

“I think they rallied so much they forgot to order new cars,” Bon joked with Kami.

“Right? This interior is more two-thousand-and-late than anything” Kami bubbled back. “It certainly feels safe and all, but it’s not as comfortable as I’d expect from a world-class limousine.”

“Back in its day, this beast was unparalleled in both.”

“Its day was several years ago.”

“As if I didn’t feel elderly already.”

“I’d love to whip my Dextralis around the capital as much as the next guy, but they’d call me senile if I wanted it in the motorcade. I should really drive it one of these days though…”

“It’d add some variety though. Look at it like this: this isn’t a blunder. It’s an opportunity to try something new.”

“You want them to call you crazy, too?”

“No no. I mean, the current crop is a bit stale. Isn’t it a bit boring looking at the same thing every few years? We should break from tradition - bring in some new faces to this lineup.”

“I know exactly what to try. New year, new administration, new faces, new companies. I don’t care if they’re American or not - so long as the limo’s American, I’m fine with what we do.”

“You sure?”

“We’re a worldly power, not just a world power. Collaboration with others will be key going forward.”

The world is a different place from what it was four years ago. C’mon, man. Let’s make our motorcade great again.

Rules

You will be building a whole presidential motorcade for Bon Jobi, the 51st President of Gasmea. This is a daunting task, but to reduce stress, we’ve boiled this motorcade down to three vehicles: a lead car, a presidential limousine, and a multipurpose SUV.

All Entries

• Trim and variant years must be 2020
  • No race components should be used
  • 95 RON fuel must be used
  • Keep things realistic - we reserve the right to bin or penalize unrealistic entries
  • Each vehicle must have a catalytic converter and a muffler
  • Max loudness is 40.0
  • Vehicles must have at least four full-sized seats (no 2+2s)
  • Vehicles must have at least four doors

Lead Car

The lead car is the first car present in the core Presidential Motorcade formation. It guides the motorcade and acts as a buffer for what is ahead. There are no specific rules on what type of vehicle is used - choices have ranged from Secret Service SUVs to local police cars and even premium sedans.

Limits

• Trim ET: 135
  • Engine ET: 135
  • Approximate Cost: $45000

Priorities

:star::star::star::star::star: - Of Paramount Concern

• Drivability
  • Reliability
  • Safety

A car for this task must controllable above all things. Reliability will prove especially key as breaking down while in use will cause problems. People inside the car need to be kept safe should any hostile situations arise.

:star::star::star::star::eight_pointed_black_star: - Of Significant Concern

• Design
  • Comfort
  • Prestige

This leads the core of the motorcade, so while it should not steal the limousine’s thunder, it should still look solid in its own right. Given the occasions used with this car, occupants would appreciate comfort. Speaking of occasions, this car should exude prestige during them.

:star::star::star::eight_pointed_black_star::eight_pointed_black_star: - Of Concern

• Fuel Economy
  • Sportiness
  • Offroad

While this vehicle must go the distance, fuel economy is a lower concern than the previous factors. Should hostile situations arise, aggressive and even offroad driving may be needed, but this car would be less of a target than others.

Presidential Limousine

The presidential limousine is the focal point of the motorcade. It swathes the president in superior safety and boasts plenty of unique capabilities and countermeasures. The game’s safety options do not encompass these defense measures, plus building a modern limousine out of the game’s current mod options would make replicating this in Automation unreasonable. That is why instead, we will convert a submitted sedan to this specification. With that, we will provide a diesel engine that must be used in this vehicle.

Limits

• Body type: only sedans
  • Design should look distinctly Gasmean (American)
  • Trim ET: 200
  • Approximate Cost: $100000

Priorities

• Design
  • Comfort
  • Drivability

The limousine is the focal point to this procession; it must be the star of the show. Bon, Kami, and company must be kept not just safe, but comfortable. As for drivability, imagine how viral a video of this limo spinning out would go. We do not want that.

• Safety
  • Reliability
  • Prestige

Safety is down here because the base car has to be safe, but the car’s will be truly safe when it is modified for presidential use. Repairs are the last thing needed in this convoy, especially for something as complex as this. As the central focus, it must demonstrate its prestigious nature to all who see it.

:star::star::star::eight_pointed_black_star::eight_pointed_black_star: - Of Concern

• Fuel Economy
  • Sportiness
  • Offroad

Aggressive driving, be it on-road or off-road will be needed should a hostile situation arise. That being said, fuel economy is less of a concern, and it will be even less of one when the added armor packs on tons of weight.

Diesel Engine

All limousines must use the same diesel engine. You must not modify this engine. In order to use it, you must download the following .car file and select it as the engine used in the limousine. This .car should not be used for anything but transporting the engine.

PDC16P_-_Limousine_Engine.car (13.7 KB)

Multipurpose SUV

The multipurpose SUV will play a plethora of roles in the motorcade. Multiple of these will be purchased and converted into security detail, electronic countermeasure, control and support, counter assault, intelligence division, and communications agency vehicles. Just like the limousine, conversion efforts will be conducted independently, so a consumer-model version will be used.

Limits

• Body type: only SUVs
  • Trim ET: 135
  • Engine ET: 135
  • Approximate Cost: $45000

Priorities

• Drivability
  • Reliability
  • Safety

As supporting vehicles, these need to stay controllable under any circumstances. They must also stay functional away from and under pressure, and they must also keep people inside of them safe at all costs.

• Offroad
  • Comfort
  • Prestige

Offroad ability is needed should the motorcade scatter. People will appreciate comfort as the convoy may travel long distances. Prestige will also play key in a similar sense to the lead car.

• Fuel Economy
  • Sportiness
  • Design
  • Total Storage Capacity

Fuel economy is not as necessary for these types of vehicles, but some is appreciated. On-road aggressive driving may be needed should push come to shove but less so than off-road driving. Design will help, but these vehicles’ focus is more on what they can do. As for total storage capacity, you add both the passenger volume and the cargo volume together to get it; the higher, the better.

Inspiration

Aside from the limousine looking distinctly Gasmean, you are allowed to pull inspiration from anywhere else. Similar design languages can be used across these vehicles.

Lead Cars

He's the leader of the bunch, you know him well

He's finally back to kick some tail

His coconut gun can fire in spurts

If he shoots ya, it's gonna hurt!

He's bigger, faster, and stronger too

Presidential Limousines

He's the first member of the DK crew!

Huh!

DK

Donkey Kong!

DK

Multipurpose SUVs

Donkey Kong is here!

He has no style, he has no grace

Th-this Kong has a funny face

He can handstand when he needs to

And stretch his arms out, just for you

Submission

Submissions should be done through one forum PM to either myself or Xepy. PMs must contain all three cars’ .car files, with the names formatted as such:

Model Name and Engine Family Name (Lead Car): PDC16L - <usernames>

Model Name and Engine Family Name (Presidential Limousine): PDC16P - <usernames>

Model Name and Engine Family Name (Multipurpose SUV): PDC16M - <usernames>

Trim Name: make/model/trim of the car

Variant Name: model/variant of the engine

No resends will be allowed unless we ask you for one.

On Collaboration

Given there are three cars to make, we recommend assembling teams of at most three people. Whether you collaborate with others or not, please start early on these. Trying to rush all three of these within a few days will be stressful and leave less time for refinement.

Feel free to make group chats and work in them. Every now and then, a voice call where people stream progress would be beneficial. In any case, communication will be key to your team’s performance.

Deadline

The rules are subject to change from initial posting to Sunday, May 9, 2021, at 11:59:59 PM EDT. Once this rule-adjusting period expires, the submission window will begin. You are free to submit until Friday, June 11, 2021, at 11:59:59 PM EDT, at which point judging will start.

Best of luck to all of you, and remember to have fun!

12 Likes

I take that to mean “at least four full-sized seats, not 2+2.”

This is going to be interesting—I’m kind of looking forward to see how judging goes with three parts instead of one. From the initial look it seems juggling all three spots is the real challenge.

I think you can get rid of the engine ET requirement for the presidential limo, since you’re providing the engine and it is not allowed to be altered in any way.

Looking at the criteria for the lead and multipurpose and they are very very close - there is nothing that prevent reusing the same SUV for both with slight tuning changes and different styling right? (e.g. to save time if needed). They only have offroad/design swapped.

Any storage/size/capacity required for the mulipurpose retrofit?

Yes. I will update the post with that.

Good idea there. Admittedly, I was on autopilot when I put that rule in, so I’ll remove it. :sweat_smile:

Xepy and I talked this one over, and we agreed it would be best to combine passenger and cargo storage into one three-star priority. That’ll be added.

We also noticed some issues concerning price limits on Discord. We imagine that might be down to people trying AHS steel. With that, we’ll raise both the lead car and multipurpose SUVs’ cost limits to $45000.

Edit: changes made! That being said, submissions are now open!

3 Likes

Can you use a vanilla body or tell us what mod body did you use for the limo engine?

Please do, I can’t download it either

You should be able to import it anyway. Just import it without mods and the engine will go in your list anyway

Don’t have the option available to do so

The modbody it is using is this:
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2097979373

2 Likes

Work in progress

5 Likes

Delaine Motors presents the all new 2021 "Fortis" series

No two journeys are exactly alike. The same applies to Delaine ownership. With an impressive number of choices between models, available features and specialty packages, there’s a Delaine that fits your life. Discover the power of choice through three new and distinct models available soon in the Delaine line-up.

Fortis models:

Alarcon

Amberes

Gaillard

"Emissary" package

Our commitment to comfort and safety is now extended to the great personalities of the world. The “Emissary” package bolsters special configurations for each of our cars. Reinforced structures, custom-built all around impact protection and additional functionalities, as well as the possibility to include the “Vanguard” kitted Alarcon, the successfully proven police car in many states across Gasmea.

Gratuitous eye-candy shots

The Fortis Series

Alarcon

Amberes

Gaillard

OOC: I’d like to thank my collaborators @Prium and @HelloHi for being awesome. Although we each had our “own” car to work on, all cars have something from all three of us in it. All three cars benefited greatly from everyone’s input. I cannot thank and commend both my partners in crime enough. It’s been a pleasure working with both of you! Go Delaine!

11 Likes

Good evening folks! Xepy and I received one entry so far, and we did notice multiple other people who were interested but may not have enough time to finish their entries. Due to these reasons, we are extending the deadline to Friday, June 11, 2021, at 11:59:59 PM EDT.

To the team who submitted already, should you wish to revise your entry, you may resubmit once. The post will be updated with this deadline change. We hope this is enough time for people to work on and complete their entries in time. Keep up the good work!

6 Likes

Is this still alive?

How goes it with reviewing?

Presidential MAHG range!

Multi Purpose Vehicule

Presidential car

Lead car