Peregrine Motors

Hi there, and welcome to the Peregrine Motors thread!

Peregrine is a car company based in Daytona Beach, Florida, specializing in cars with uncompromising performance and innovative features, yet with plenty of consideration for everyday usability.

Starting things off, we have the 1989 Peregrine VTS. At the time it was new, this was one of the most technologically advanced cars in the world. Designed from the ground up as a track car that could be used on the road, it was renowned for its truly awe-inspiring handling as well as its comfortable interior (even though the actual ride was still rough thanks to its stiff suspension). Even with such a nice interior, the car’s liberal usage of exotic and lightweight materials throughout its construction means that it tips the scales at just 3,047 pounds.

However, the light weight is only partly responsible for the handling. Underneath the gorgeous exterior lies the heart of a Group C racer. Double wishbone suspension front and rear reduces body roll to nearly zero, while a Group C-derived underbody sucks the car to the ground without creating excessive drag. Under the engine cover sits a longitudinally-mounted twin-turbo V6 good for 450 horsepower, mated to a five-speed manual transmission. The engine is designed to make most of its power higher in the RPM range, so while the VTS isn’t very quick off the line, it more than makes up for that once it gets up to speed. In fact, a new, bone-stock VTS set a Nurburgring Nordschleife lap record of 7 minutes and 29 seconds, a time that would take decades to beat.

Technological innovations include a digital center screen with a lap timer, Peregrine All-Claw all-wheel drive, and a beautiful digital instrument cluster with only the info you need to go fast and not much more.

Detail highlights
The Peregrine VTS features an unrivaled level of detail covering every square inch. Just some highlights:

• Cast aluminum stalks with beveled lettering
  • Huge door pockets with dedicated bottle holders
  • Shifter offset towards wheel for shorter shifting times
  • A Peregrine badge on the passenger side of the dash
  • Beautiful three-tone interior with liberal usage of body-color materials
  • Sun visors that match the door card designs
  • Fully lined roof
  • Two dome lights and a map light between the seats for night drives where a map is needed
  • Cast aluminum interior door handles
  • Washer jets for the windshield
  • Peregrine Race Switch Pack - ignition and starter switches near the dash-mounted keyhole for a racecar-like feel. With the car in neutral and the handbrake up, you simply insert the key, turn it to “ACC,” flip the ignition switch, and hold the starter switch until you hear the powerful twin-turbo V6 fire up.

Screenshots
Interior - item descriptions in lower right

Exterior

9 Likes

For something made in 1989, this is quite a futuristic design - and one that’s still fast enough today. Back then 450 horsepower was quite a lot!

By the way, how big is that V6, and how much torque does it make?

1 Like

It’s a 2.8-liter V6 that makes 301.8 lb-ft of torque at 7,200 RPM. All the power is up high in this car, which is why it takes a while to get going. That and the fact that it only has 5 gears since that’s the max for 1989.

2 Likes

How quick to 60 is it, then? And how fast is it at the top end?

In Automation, the 0-60 time is 5.7 seconds, but in Beam I’ve been able to get that into the low 5s/high 4s by letting the clutch out slowly to keep the engine at peak power. Top speed in Beam is 202 mph, but just barely. It’s limited by gearing otherwise 5th gear would be too long to be usable on a track.

Wow… I’m very impressed.

1 Like

Aaaand the VTS is finally out! Peregrine Motors VTS 1989 | BeamNG

If the VTS was made in 4.24 (as I am expecting), then it has since been rendered obsolete by the arrival of 4.27 - but considering how detailed it is, it deserves a re-imagining for the new game build, which is now in its stable release phase.

1 Like

As it happens, I’m working on a 2023 successor to the 1989 VTS in 4.27 right now, as well as its GT3 variant :smiley: I might post some WIP pics later

I forgot to post the pics XD But! I’ve made some detail shots. Without further ado:

1 Like

And a couple wide shots of the VTS GT3’s interior:

4 Likes

Been thinking about this. I’d love to make a remaster with a few adjustments, but at least a few of the mods the original VTS uses are incompatible with UE4.27 so wouldn’t work. Would be a fun project though