Power to the People 2 - '98 Budget Muscle [Complete]

Usually you have to make a few posts, read a few threads, etc before it lets you PM. Anti-bot measure.

ah shit. guess im out then. damn shame

You just gained the ability to DM

Submissions are now closed. Results will be out later today or tomorrow.

Results
Ascot Carabinier

The most responsive entry of all, the Ascot Carabinier blurs the line between muscle and sport. It carries strong design and engineering notes from the C4 Corvette… a beloved car to be sure, but not necessarily muscular. To boot, it has the service costs of a premium vehicle despite its fairly average comfort and not stellar horsepower.

Helron Paradise LJ-R

Affordable and reliable to be sure. Unfortunately, this comes at the cost of throttle response, horsepower, and comfort; it’s among the bottom in all regards. Worse, this manages to be below ten miles per gallon; while some inefficiency is normal for a muscle car, that’s in the territory of heavy duty work truck, and puts buyers off. Thankfully it’s nice to look at, the unusual front bumper working despite the oddly small grille.

SVP Bearclaw GTS

Good practicality, reliability, and power are matched with a good power band. It’s not terribly comfortable though, and it has somewhat high service costs. The styling, though, is ultimately what takes it down, despite being an overall good entry. Something about the headlights strikes critics and consumers oddly.

FM Cuda 3500 GT

Stylish! With its turbocharged V8, the FM Cuda is certainly unique as the only 1998 turbo muscle car. Unfortunately the good ends there- the turbocharger greatly harms the engine’s reliability and frankly, it’s just not a comfortable car. It’s a shame, because it’s really very nice looking.

Mara Kavaler Mk2 4.6 AMM

The engineering on this car is, truly, second to none. In terms of value for money, it cannot be beaten, with comfort on par with strong entries, yet one of the lowest running costs available. Excellent throttle response, good practicality, and amazing reliability. If only it just looked a little better.

Draco

Talk about an all-motor entry. The Draco’s horsepower is above average while maintaining stellar throttle response and a really impressive power band. Unfortunately, it’s very expensive to own, with the second highest service costs of the entries, and it’s just not comfortable. The front end is nice to look at, but the odd egg-shape of the wide bottom and narrow top detracts from its visuals.
Note: this was 04mmar’s first entry. Congratulate them on a well-made first show!

Globus Phoenix Dominator Randy Miller Edition

Squashed catfish front end, immense service costs (the highest by over 400 dollars) and an unimpressive cargo area and ride quality don’t make for a good first impression. However, despite the name that goes on longer than the fuel tank, it is all made up for to some by the fact that this car has the highest horsepower available at this price… by almost 50. Good show.

AMC Eagle AMX

The strikingly dated front end puts off most buyers. It harks back… to not that long ago, and worse, to a vehicle most of us remember and dislike. A sluggish and unreliable engine- the worst in both categories, actually- really didn’t help. But it was a very practical vehicle, with a very large trunk and plenty of seating.
Note: If this was a 2000s challenge, you’d have had a shot. Ironically though this car is a little too ahead of its time, much like the original Eagle. Good work on the styling, though.

FMC Goshawk SP

This car is unfortunately a victim of being very average. It’s not the worst at anything, but it’s not the best either, and falls just below that average in a few key places like comfort and service cost. It has a very nice color scheme though, and the front end is nice to look at.

Arlington Foxhound GS

With its service costs being on the lower side, one may expect the Foxhound GS to have cut costs. But when you step on the throttle, the power is there, and there’s plenty of it. It’s not the most comfortable car present, but it falls in line well enough, and makes up for it with excellent practicality and runner up for engine reliability. And all that is before the styling.
From the beautiful paint to the balance and flow of the body, to the hood vents that never let you forget what you’re driving without being overstated, the Foxhound GS is beautiful without being overdone. A genuinely wonderful entry.

Winner: @Texaslav

5 Likes

Oh shit I actually won something again

Good game, good show y’all

2 Likes

Oh well, I knew I wouldn’t win because my car was - like my PTP1 one - full of compromises to stay within the budget. A smaller engine wouldn’t have been slower because of less wheelspin and the possibility to install a geared LSD, and the disastrous service cost are also caused by the fact that I was crazy enough to mount an engine with well over 7 liter displacement into the front of the car, which became overly filled then. But when a challenge wants me to bring power to the people, then I’ll do it with 454 thirsty horses.

Nevertheless, all I wanted was ROOOOAAAARRRR and with the ancient 4-speed auto and the kingsize leather seats the Phoenix Dominator makes at least a comfortable and impressing show cruiser, holding up the flag of classic American muscles.

2 Likes

Good showing by all and congratulations to @Texaslav for the victory.

I was worried that mine would considered too much like a sports car rather than a muscle car for this, but I also was trying to do some design elements that was pushing me out of my comfort zone so I think it went okay. I think the higher service costs was partly due to the staggered tire set up.

2 Likes

Ah yes, forgot about that. I also have staggered tires AND the car might be the only one to go more than 300 kph. That lets the tire costs raise to the moon.

I also had 302 kph top speed, but put in a limiter to 249 - exactly to save on tyre and service cost.

lmao mine was essentially a sports car with a V8

Mine was so focused on the engine i need to make everything else cheap

You want to tell the buyer you force him to go slower than possible? That’s communism!
Drive Globus, we keep your freedom like you deserve as US citizen!

Globus Dominator anthem used in TV spots!

5 Likes