Powerful American Insanity National (COMPLETE)

How did you get the time trial thing set up I can’t find it on the map

there’s a section in the main menu with time trials, just go to there and select american road, then the time trial in the post

Yeah, I can probably cough a car up for this. Not sure whether to give you a front-wheel-drive Sinistra or a rear-wheel-drive Bricksley. Either way, I think I can get either one of them up to the needed speed.

Edit: Okay, if you’re letting in two cars… I may not have to choose which brands, just which car in that brand you get.

Edit 2: Note to self: 20.7 comfort, 66.6 reliability, 2009 model year. I’ll have to see if the '09 Bricksley Grand Warden and the '09 Sinistra Traville can manage that. Especially considering one of those two will be packing some serious potential stupidity.

4 Likes

…kinda temped to just send in my entry for the weekend warrior challenge since I don’t think it violates any of the rules of this challenge.

Two very different ways to accomplish a similar goal.

The Sinistra on the left is a factory sleeper with a roughly 600 horsepower twin-turbo V8 driving the front axle.

The Bricksley on the right got a trip to Twin Hearts Racing, where they fitted the Bricksley 532 for a pair of snails, so it can properly fry the rear tires.

The Sinistra is a dual-clutch, the Bricksley a 6-speed-stick.

Both will surely be a handful.

5 Likes

I’m assuming that 98 RON fuel of some sort is actually mandatory, and not merely an upper limit.

I take that as “the maximum techpool limit for each and every area is +5”, and not “all techpool areas must be set to +5”.

Also, entrants may equip driving aids on their cars if they want to, but I’m presuming that traction and stability controls will be toggled off, if either or both of them are fitted.

This is not only a hard limit, but also applies to all decades, in contrast to FM4 which had different price limits for different decades.

However, when testing entries before the actual challenge, you may want to keep these in mind:

• Active aero is not implemented in the exporter, and any spring types other than standard or progressive (i.e. hydropneumatic, air, and active sport/comfort) do not operate in Beam. I’m not sure if adaptive/semi-active dampers and any sway bar type other than passive works properly in Beam, though, but on the assumption that they don’t, I’m fitting mono-tube dampers and passive sway bars to my entries.

• According to the OP, tire tech pool may be set to +5 at most, but there’s a good reason why cars are more drivable if tire tech pool is set at 0:

It also explains why I’m setting the tire tech pool on my entries to 0, unless the rules are changed so that tire tech pool must be set to +5, without any exceptions, in which case I’m bumping the tire tech pool up to 5 for my entries.

Now this sounds rather interesting TBH… :thinking:

3 Likes

Tyre techpool and quality at zero isn’t a bad idea at all actually since they seem to export a bit weird

yes this is one of my entry

9 Likes

For my first test mule, I went to the trouble of cloning the oldest of my three FM4 entries (including its engine), and making a multitude of changes to its engineering, to bring it right up to the $40k limit. My second test mule costs exactly the same, and is also V8-powered, but its (mid-mounted) engine is smaller, revs higher, and makes a little more power.

And after seeing the Crista, I tried creating a third test mule from the same body set - it’s quite a sleeper sedan, what with all the performance mods I made to it, but I’d rather be brave and enter something that leaves the start line later, but can record a faster lap time.

I also have this. My 2nd entry.

Not the most original idea, either irl or in Automation. But it is what it is.

4 Likes

…did you do this with a keyboard
holy shit

even better
controller with about 20% of the left thumb rubber remaining

i should really buy a wheel soon

even if that’s the case, i just know that would mean a whole fraction of the budget gone

i’ll test out some things myself and see what can be done about the tire techpool

edit: I don’t really notice much of a difference between the same car with 0 tire tp and 15 tire tp but when I give the latter +15 quality as well HOLY SHIT it’s horrible

edit 2: since techpool has less of an effect than quality on grip, it will remain unchanged, but i will mandate tire quality at 0

2 Likes

Yeah, tires in Beam seem to get greasy with positive sliders, especially over +3. Don’t know why that is.

What are the expectations regarding historical/market realism, if any?

for once, go wild, as long as it complies with the rules

2 Likes

An idea I had for a similar challenge was to reward comfort by having it be some sort of multiplier on finishing time, to reflect quality of time spent behind the wheel, not just quantity. F.e. if it were me, I’d assign a higher score to a W140 that took 35 minutes than a Baja Bug with bare-minimum qualifying comfort that took 34. Where to draw that optimization line is the tricky part, of course.

Would love to send you the Howitzer for a run but it won’t meet budget being a high powered midship monster that I am trying to tame.
The Gatling is competing in Weekend Warrior
So it’s more than likely going to be the Ruger for this one

You see this quite outstanding piece of engineering? This right here, is a 1995 Crooper Modena SS, one of the finest american sports sedans. 345hp 5.0L V8, Rear-wheel drive, aerodynamic package, all that you expect to find in the finest of performance sedans. Though, there is one thing, one thing that we have noticed about this fine car.
It's not enough.

In a collaboration between Crooper Motors and Hines American, one of the most important houses of tuning for the american market, we are proud to present the Crooper Modena Hines 500SR. The original 5.0 3V engine has been bored out to 5.2L, and its heads have been replaced with DOHC 4V heads, creating an engine that is appropriately nicknamed “Behemoth”. These modifications, along with an almost entire overhaul of the remaining engine components, allow it to reach 500hp instead of the original 345, hence the name 500SR, while remaining naturally aspirated.

It allows this 4 door sedan to get up to an aproximate top speed of 220 mph, or 354 km/h, a result so outstanding that it blows Italian supercars out of the water. And not only that, it is also extremely stable and, while its tail likes to drift a bit in between corners, as expected from a 500 hp, live rear axle American sedan, it can also keep itself planted when needed thanks to the sports suspension, aerodynamic package reminding you of late 60s NASCAR stock cars, and high-performance tires mounted on single lug-nut, Formula 1 inspired wheels. If this is not the definition of a high performer, I don’t know what is.

8 Likes