[Pro MeSS] Proportional Mean Scoring System

I’ve elaborated a scoring system for the challenges on this forum. I’ve used it in the “Chauffeur Service” but it is extremly flexible and adaptable to every situation.

Let’s start the explanition with the name: Why Proportional Mean? Because it’s made of proportionality and mean, and i need a name that sounds cool and was not used anywhere else.

[hide=For who knows enough math]

n= number of parameters evaluated
k= weight of the parameter (bigger the number, more important are the parameter in your score)
c= points (e.g drivability)
m= mean of the parameter (e.g mean drivability of all the entrants)
p= i can’t explain this, i’ve usually use 1, but changing this numer is a possibility (i let you figure out how it works for homework)

If less is better (like 0-100 time) you can multyply (c-m) by -1[/hide]

For a much easier explanation of this, i kindly ask someone to try explain, my english is not so good, i’will link here the post (if there will be one)

For who want to use it without understand it, look at this link:

I hope this can help someone to make better challenge saving time

EDIT: i didn’t clarified why this method is faster; you don’t need to think how to sum point (e.g. a car that have 60 drivability and 8 economy and another 50driv and 7eco, which is better?) with this method you just need to establish wich stats is more important (they also can be the same with all the k equal). If in your challenge drivability is twice as important than economy, just set the relative k’s 2 and 1.

11 Likes

Optional Tips:

How to evaluate Non-Numerical Parameters
For evaluating engine configuration i have assigned values to parts like: V8=0; V12=+0.3; V6=-0.3; etc…if it’s turbo i subtract 0.15. You can use this method to anything from chassis material to swaybar configuration :wink:

Normalized Points
Why i’ve added a column called “Normalized Points”? For claryfing the score. If i present on the forum a classification when the winner have 0.63 points and the last car have -0.62 it’s not so clear. If the points ranging from 0 to 100 it’s easier to read and realize the gap. I know there is clearer scoring system, but if you want to use this for faster elaboration of the results, normalized points is better than nothing.

If anyone have something in mind that make sense to add here, just tag me on the post.

3 Likes