QFC15 - Cheap and cheerful [FINALS OUT]

My puny little E15 inspired turbo for some reason made the car too fast and I could not get rid of brake fade inside 13" wheels otherwise :cry:

1982 GASCAR 1015 1.6 GTi

Made in Orgeval by craftsmen.

6 Likes

I worry the design I am working on for this will be too far ahead of early 80s styling language for cars now…

The original Ford Tempo came out in 1983. It was actually an interesting time for car design, I think there’s a little more wiggle room than people remember.

1 Like

The ford sierra came out in 1982 and that was pretty revolutionary for it’s time. So more rounded cars can work, just bear in mind design cues of the time

3 Likes

I looked but could not find: what was Germany’s law about headlamps back in the time? For the US, it was only sealed beam rectangular or round, very specific. I know the US was behind on lighting.

Hilarious webpage of modern cars with sealed beam headlights, What Would Modern Cars Look Like If America Still Only Allowed Two Kinds Of Headlights? - The Autopian

1 Like

Nothing specific afaik, and this is QFC anyway…

bild

Some 1981 German cars with the headlights used in the home market. No special regulations regarding shape, but keep in mind that they were most often still quite simple by 1981, more advanced shapes is more of a late 80s thing.

1 Like

Yeah that Opel looks like it’s sporting sealed beams.

Ok might do a rework b/c mine is US-Spec and uggs because of it.

Yeah, I feel this maaaay be a bit too modern…

My mother had a 1981 Rekord when I was a kid…I can tell you we wished it would have had sealed beams when it needed a new headlight… :rofl: ($$$$ :expressionless:)

HELLO THERE!

IT’S THE 80s!!

EYE OF THE TIGER PLAYING ON THE RADIO!!!

YOU DRIVE A CONVERTIBLE!!!1!!! !

IS IT FAST? NO!

IS IT SAFE? NO!

IS IT COOL? FUCK YES!!!

AND IT’S YELLO!!

IT’S A CONVERTIBL!!

CONVERTIBLE!!!!!!!!!!!!

9 Likes

For you considerations, the Ascot Janissary ES 1.6. This fine automobile is Ascot Automotive’s first export model for the 1980s

4 Likes
13 Likes

Alright, since everyone seems to be happy with the rule set, the challenge is now open for submissions.

Added one more inspiration, and game version shall be the latest STABLE one.

By the way, there is no advantage for an early submission, I’ll be on the road all week anyway, and won’t open files until in a week.

I just entered early cause I was happy enough with it as is, and if I keep tweaking it I’d end up hating i more and more then scrap it entirely…

Ive already got my ideas buzzing in my head…as soon as my game starts to cooperate

Damn, I have built the perfect car for this for my lore earlier this year, it’s 1982, its ultra cheap, it’s reliable and even comfort stats are bearable… BUT IT’S SO F—ING UGLY! I didn’t think the base model of my cheaper brand would ever be needed in a competition so I made it ugly on purpose…

That will take a few hours until that boxy clunker looks ok. The technical part, however, is sound and doesn’t need a change.

5 Likes

Beongsae Motors presents the 1921. Its name is a throwback to one of the company’s oldest vehicles, as is the place in the market. Comfortable, fast, and safe, at an affordable pricepoint. It applies everything BM has learned since their privatization in 1978, including a high-tech five cylinder motor, yet fueled by an available, reliable carburetor.

Note: I wonder why the stat prop thinks it’s 100% rear weight.

4 Likes

Why are you running it to a 7K redline when your peak power is at 5200?