QFC15 - Cheap and cheerful [FINALS OUT]

Because it sounds cool to say it revs to 7,000 RPM, mostly.

Marketing moment.

1982 FMC Siskin 1.8 Sport
Shown in Metallic Quill Red with the Sport trim’s all gloss black exterior treatment

A sleek 3 door hatch for daily enjoyment!

Summary

The Deets

The Siskin seats 4 adults comfortably, and makes the most of its diminutive size. The specially engineered short overhangs front and rear to make city navigation a breeze.

The Siskin’s front fascia includes the latest in composite headlamp technology.

The 1.8 Sport trim is equipped with an economical, yet punchy 1.8L Overhead Cam engine connected with a 5 speed manual transmission. The Sport also comes standard with 4 wheel Anti-lock disc brakes, sport handling suspension, 4 seat cloth bucket seats, and the latest in audio technology - the cassette! Marvel at the ability to rewind your music!

The 1.8L is a marvel of 80’s state-of-the-art technology, with multi-point fuel injection. It maintains over 100lb-ft of torque as low as 2300 RPM, making daily driving the Siskin Sport a true joy.

12 Likes

This is absolutely gorgeous

Oh no! Another yellow car!

1982 Kessel Vogel Turbo

A true s***box for not a lot of money. And it’s a TURBO!

9 Likes

I REALLY like this TBH!

1 Like

I know there is already a car company with the name Vogel, but this is an individual car and not a whole manufacturer, so nobody will confuse the two for each other.

1982 Globus Stallion

Do you remember the late 60s, when our pony car Stallion was THE looker at high scool parking lots?
We do, but times have changed. Economic depression, acid rain, so when the Stallion nameplate is said to be revived, don’t expect a coke-bottle V8.

Our compact sedan Globus Intruder was meant to intrude foreign markets with reliability, thrift and affordability. However it was designed for the third world, making a simple car fancier is sometimes more profound than stripping down something complex.
Based on the Intruder, the new Stallion comes with a modern 2.2-liter engine as well as a five-speed transmission, this is surely very sporty in it’s price range. Especially in Europe, where smaller cars are popular, the new downsized Globus cars from Tampa FL might score a surprising success with exceeding it’s domestic competitors in power and equipment while undercutting it in cost. Simple but reliant American Engineering in a compact shape.
Go see your local PRIMUS dealer for Globus imports and compare us to the competitors. You won’t be disappointed.

GLOBUS. Buy clever, regret never!

USDM model shown in pictures. EU-spec models with wider plates can be customized by your dealer - for example if you hate the wood from a Pennsylvanian plastic tree, EU dealers have some fancy silver plast,… eeee, eh, aluminium for you.
The 22S model aiming for EU buyers has a stickshift and a slightly stiffer suspension, however, it is still the American Way of Drive with a little more effort.

6 Likes

Oh sorry, i didn’t realize. I was just running with the German bird theme I started in the LHC challenge. I don’t think I’ll use the nameplate again.

That’s hilarious because you know what a Siskin is. Damn bird.

2 Likes

1982 Harris 1300 Turbo-tronics conversion

Launched in 1980 this was to be the last vehicle from the Harris brand before it was removed. Available as either the “1300” or “1500” this small saloon car aimed to bring a premium feel to the small family market.

The particular car here was an aftermarket conversion by Turbo-tronics, taking the 1300 model with its rather basic 1275cc ohv engine and adding a small turbocharger and intercooler increasing the power output by 20bhp compared to the standard model. Other changes are graphics and stripes to the exterior, a small spoiler to the boot lid and wider cast alloy wheels.

13 Likes

Well - it’s very-very far from finished… But sorta based on the early 80’s hatchback Econo box… Not hopped up versions such as the March… No turbo’s, no EFI (because very very very few econo boxes in 82 would have come with EFI), and either 4-speed manual or three speed auto (because 1982)… But it does have wind up windows and AM/FM Cassette.

Then again - looking at the pic’s for inspiration, it clearly does not fit the brief either. Well, at 8,000 and no negative sliders - it is cheap and reliable. :wink:

6 Likes

Got any more pics of this one? Running a low-cost solution has won many competitions in the past, as long as the rest of the requirements / priorities are handled well.

The Cambridge Kobold family is all new for the 80’s, featuring an all new front wheel drive chassis and an overhead cam engine.Available in a number of trims, colors, and equipment packages, there’s something for everyone! The SL 1.7 as pictured here comes with a few chilies stuffed up it’s exhaust pipe, cranking out 93 horsepower. Alloy wheels, stereo cassette, and bold side striping come as standard. Pricing starts at $10,700AMU.

11 Likes

Not right now - I can get more pics this eve (just woke up - got to head to work soon though). Mechanically, it is fully fleshed out though.

But physically, there is very much work left to be done: haven’t named it yet; minor details on the exterior (badging); the interior is truly a mess - hence the low angled shot (hide the partially finished interior); and need to find some more part’s as the rear seat should be more poverty spec - big thing I need to find is a plain bench (rear seat headrests just wasn’t a thing even moving up to more costly intermediate cars in '82 - yes, I’m that details oriented).

I should correct myself - the inspiration was from cars such as the Nissan Micra (March - just not the beloved March Superturbo of the late 80’s), Honda Civic (Shibikku), Mazda 323 (Familia), Dodge/Plymouth Horizon/Omni (not the Shelby breathed on GLH/GLH-S hot hatches (Goes Like Hell - what a great trim name - LOL), etc.

Well, the interior is in but as I said, that really needs work, the front bumper needs a redo (don’t like the positioning and size of the built in lights), and I want to see if I can do something else with the grill. Don’t think I’ll be back on it tonight though.

7 Likes

How do i do the techpools for the challenge?

2 Likes

Next to the quality sliders you should see a button with most likely a +5 in it. You click on that and changed all the values to +2. Then, you have an additional 25 that you can allocate anywhere you see fit.

Presenting the 1982 Canmo Sprint, the spiritual successor to the 1965 Canmo Sprint from the Power to the People competition. Powered by a 2.2L 4 cylinder, it makes 107hp via high tech fuel injection and carries up to 5.

10 Likes

Awesome, I agree with the bumper, looks cool though.

2 Likes