QFC23 - Mafioso Motoring [Results out!]

In this challenge especially not using the quality sliders is pretty much game over. There’s a stupid amount of budget to work eith, and thus it’s not uncommon to see +15 or roundabout that high. For any challenge, using quality can mean the difference between an ‘okay’ car and a ‘good’ car. (I speak from experience, as my cars used to, and still do have reliability issues, which quality helps alleviate.)

3 Likes

If the Ventnor’s front tires were 10mm wider, it would be even nimbler through the bends, but I didn’t think of that for long enough to consider it. Besides, most customers (except for Jay) don’t usulaly consider top-spec luxury limos to be drift machines.

In retrospect, I should have moved the entire lower grille/foglight/vent assembly a bit lower, but I never thought about that either.

2 Likes

Yeahhhh I had a feeling the stats were pretty mediocre for the price lmao. I was hoping the extreme proven-ness of the age would offset that a bit but it was still a gamble.

As for the steering, I’m pretty sure that was just “It was the most comfortable option when I built the earliest model and I completely didn’t bother to change it when I made newer versions” so that’s entirely on me lol.

3 Likes

I guess I should have waited and slapped a supercharger and a couple hundred more cc to that motor. Oh well.

Edit: also, which of the SUV do people think was the best? I rather thought @lztd15 entry was quite swish and classy.

3 Likes

In all fairness, when I saw better looking entries after I submitted, I kind of expected an early bin. Somehow I felt I didn’t make a fully functional and satisfying entry. And then I got surprised that it lasted this long in the reviews. So I am pretty much satisfied with the results I got…
I fiddled too much with the power unit to make a better design (and handling), so I guess that is something to improve on. Nevertheless it was a great round and I enjoyed making a powerhouse for it and participating. :kissing_heart:

3 Likes

That makes it similar to my WM Deus - and your summary of the Desire also applies to the Deus:

In view of that, I was right to submit the revised Ventnor in place of the Deus.

2 Likes

I liked the review of the Avion. You point out the advanced design for the time frame. I would say that the design was pushed for the time, and still reminescent od the 90s. Glad you liked the curtains. Also, sorry about the computer. I do go overboard with the interiors and detailing a bit.
As for the driftey tail, it is built for getaways, and would help maneuver the tight 90 degree turns a bit easier.
:sunglasses:

4 Likes

Correction: the front tires are actually 235mm wide, not 225mm wide as you originally stated.

Also, had I set the front and rear camber angles to -0.6 and -0.2 degrees, respectively (instead of the -0.4 of front camber and -0.6 degrees of rear camber I eventually went with), I would have removed much of the understeer without losing too much drivability or even causing uncontrollable high-speed oversteer.

2 Likes

Why are people setting land speed records in the 1990s
What is wrong with you

8 Likes

One car actually would have broken the production car land speed record, weren’t it for McLaren going 6km/h faster a year prior…

Average automation player I’m afraid.

In reality most of these cars wold be limited to 250km/h. I limited to 270 and obviously that’s on the slower side

4 Likes

You don’t need a speed limiter if you can’t go fast enough to need to be limited.

download

4 Likes

The Lotus Omega could not even reach 300 and it held the top speed record for series produced 4 door cars for quite a lot of years…

3 Likes

The only reason you aren’t up in the 200mph club with the rest of us is that you’re in a ute #PowerGang

1 Like

Well… The chauffeur asked for first class performance, didnt he? (The Imperator loves hunting Ventnors and eats them for breakfast)

2 Likes

My entry can reach 197 mph and get to 60 mph from a standstill in just 5.5 seconds - a staggering figure for a flagship luxury car back in 1995 - but this is 10 mph less and 1 second slower, respectively, than what my “Plan B” entry (the WM Deus 720R) was capable of. Even then, those figures are still a further 10 mph less and 0.5 seconds slower, respectively, than what the more extreme 720X trim could manage.

In short, although the Ventnor could not out-accelerate the Vauxhall/Opel Lotus Carlton/Omega of similar vintage, the WM Deus (in 720R and 720X guises) could - with both cars having significantly higher top speeds compared to the (then) GM product - but at a much higher price, in keeping with their far more luxurious interiors and standard equipment lists.

1 Like

In reality most of these cars wouldn’t have as much power. 1995 Merc S600 made 394 hp, and there was no factory AMG back then. BMW, Audi and Jag didn’t even come close (yes, even S8 and XJR), Rolls and Bentley also fell behind (yes, even Turbo R from what I can see).

I regret not entering, as it’s a really nice round, but alas, I didn’t have time to finish the design. But if I did, I’d enter with a 5-litre N/A V8, making no more than 400 hp… more likely ~350.

3 Likes

Even then, it’s fun to just drone up ridiculous cars with monstrous performance. I really only asked for it to be well-engineered and in the vague realm of possibility, not for it to accurately reflect market pressures and be in-line with existing designs.

I’m aware of the 150-ish MPH speed limiter that most German (?) brands stuck to, but it can be assumed here that those limiters would be either removed post-purchase, or just not included, because with vehicles this exclusive and prestigious, it can almost be certain that it’s piloted by an experienced driver, and not an 18-year-old nutcase with driving experience entirely gained in Forza.

If I remember correctly the Overlander was making about ~360 hp from it’s 4.8L V8

2 Likes

That would have kept it in the mix in terms of straight-line performance - although it certainly wouldn’t have been the fastest (or slowest) entrant, though.

If we’re being period-accurate, we could replace Forza (or indeed any racing game franchise introduced after 1996) with “(insert name of contemporary arcade racing game here)”, but your point is still valid.

That may be a moot point (as far as placement in this QFC is concerned) if the Imperator in question (which I’m assuming will be mentioned in the next batch of reviews) does not advance to the semifinals, but for the sake of our rivalry, I’m hoping it does.