QFC23 - Mafioso Motoring [Results out!]

That would be intriguing enough to deserve its own thread, but it doesn’t have to be an actual round of QFC/CSR.

1 Like

8th not bad, That was an awesome challenge GGs everyone!

3 Likes

I could see that working and being an interesting challenge - but better not to repeat my mistake, and let it sit and cook to well-done levels. (Plus, some people may enjoy some variety now)

The IAS Serpent that the Imperator replaced needs a new model though, so I could see myself participating as well, though I’m not the greatest of engineers (coughs in 54 reliability car)

2 Likes

I never expected to get to the finals, let alone a top 10. Really happy with 7th, but I have to improve my designs for the next one.

Well done to everyone who participated and specially to the host.

3 Likes

I can totally see myself hosting “The Imperator got roasted in a shootout, we need a replacement” but two times the same setting isn’t the idea of QFC. So I second the idea of a seperate challenge.

I will post a lot more and how it will go on this evening. I will be hosting.

7 Likes

hi guys thank for win

i win quik fire chaleng

new round comeing next week

Just kidding, congrats to @Happyhungryhippo for 1st place and thanks to @shibusu for well written round.

13 Likes

Bahaha, I had a good laugh reading some of those reviews (especially mine)!
gg everyone, wp @Happyhungryhippo and great job hosting @shibusu

2 Likes

As promised, now a larger post.

My thoughts that a mix of an S73 AMG and a Lotus Carlton/Omega was the way to go, seemed to have been right.

It was a pleasure to compete with Ventnor! Its not only the customers that force a brand to improve, its also the competition that never sleeps. I remember being Ventnor one of the oldest nameplates, invented by @BobLoblaw , and your car was absolutely up to the nameplate.

You are free to do this, if you enjoy hosting this. If you do not, I will build a spin-off AFTER I hosted QFC24. I dont want to step into the trap failing to fulfil two tasks at once. The 1998 Primus Cognoscenti will serve as a reference, and it will be a pleasure to see who beats it (however, my own car would NOT compete, since that`s a rather bad idea, but its surely a help to have an actual automation car as inspiration).

My thoughts on the hosting

This was not a “real” QFC, and I will put an emphasis on the QFC charakter in QFC24. However, that was rather a fast CSR which doubled the hosting pain (in-depth reviews AND short time). Shibusu managed that self-caused trouble with ease, to my astonishment, being a first-time hoster. The “late binning” is totally made up by the fact the amount of entrants was totally crazy.

If you want to have it easy, just make a boring setting nobody would consider entering. You wanted it extra hard with a cool choice of subject.

This was a rather memorable QFC, in a positive way. The hosting featured great and elaborated reviews with quick response in an interessing setting.

And well, the brief was clear (at least for me).

6 Likes

Hell yeah, second place. I’m happy with the return on my effort.

@shibusu you bit off a lot more than you were meant to in a QFC and then chewed theough it like a champ. Where I aim to finish my hosting of CSR acceptably, you’ve gone above and beyond with this QFC - despite some inconsistencies with forum tradition. As one evil bastard said, “we will be watching your career with great interest”.

7 Likes

If he builds cars like he hosts, we will see him soon hosting again.

4 Likes

Thank you all so much for the kind words! Really made my day. I’m glad to have been able to make a good round for you all, and thanks to all of you for submitting superb cars.

Just had to take a break for a couple of hours, wasn’t entirely awake. Anyway, here’s my longer feedback.

Summary

Unsurprisingly, your bet on the grill was correct.

The styling is very anachronistic for the 90’s; all the inspirations I provided still have clear front bumpers and seperation between the bottom and the top of the front fascia.

Along with that, the grille is quite small and not that wide, leaving a lot of empty space to the sides of the fascia, before the foglights and headlights.

All of the inspirations additionally have rectangular grilles, while the Fenrir has the odd, but recognisable triple grille. I’m sure it would work with some fudging, but in its current state it doesn’t look great to me.

I think my point stands with the rear; it looks a bit too modern with the wrap-around brake light line.

I understand the Mustang also had a similar arrangement, but no cool light line.

The rest is fine, and I can’t really think of anything other than that.

I expected someone to come around with a 100+ comfort and prestige stat, and absolutely demolish the competition, which is why I made the comfort and prestige have less benefit the more you have. You got caught in this system the most, but you still hit the brief excellently, while the system was meant for people who just min-maxed the comfort and prestiged and screwed everything else.

5 Likes

Did not expect to even make it to the semifinals given the competition and the fact that this is the first challenge I ever entered, but very pleased with a 12th place for the Litchfield.

Excited for the next round!

2 Likes

I suppose I should’ve paid attention to the Inspirations more. I was going for a cross between a slightly later Audi…

…a contemporary BMW…

…and an Alfa…

…while still being uniquely recognizable, bold, and aggressive in a dignified and elegant way. I wanted the sight of it in one’s rearview mirror to trigger an instinctive merge to the right, for it to state not only “here comes money” but also “here comes trouble.”

I’m less keen on my own taillight design. I find it half-baked, a mediocre attempt to get that body to fit this idea:

A better approach would be more like this:

I hear you on the diminishing returns, even while I’ve a hunch Fenrir did in fact have the highest comfort, among the highest prestige, and no weaknesses apart from styling and price.

Purely for your amusement, I’ve a facelift in the works. I’ll call it a revision to meet Gasmean front bumper regulations.

3 Likes

TBH, when I first saw the triple Edsel front, I thought that it looked terrible. But the more I looked at it, the more it made sense. It is of course not styling that will appeal to everyone, but I kind of liked it after a while. You clearly have your own design language, so try to develop it, is my suggestion.

2 Likes

The more I look at it really, I agree. It could indeed work out to be very unique and beautiful if worked out further.

I mean, @Ludvig has been very successful with his Swansons, which have a clear but individual design since his giant VW until today. So this definitely works.

2 Likes

Thanks. Edsel, huh? Definitely not the association I’m after!

Speaking of the “giant VW”, I have its descendant ready for the followup challenge if it happens.