QFC23 - Mafioso Motoring [Results out!]

Tbf I feel like that was pretty obvious, to the point of making that the crux of my car lmao.

Can’t get much more proven than something that’s been around for 16 years at this point :^)

4 Likes

There’s a stated budget range and the rules mention losing points for being outside of that range, it just feels bad for losing more points when you’re inside that range :frowning:

2 Likes

The importance of the price was mentioned twice over and cheapness was specifically mentioned; I thought that would be clear enough to emphasise the importance of a high, but reasonable price.

3 Likes

Probably best to think of it as the difference between minimum price to have the required features and get into the right class of car, and the expected price in order to achieve the quality and prestige (a 3-star priorty & recommend to go and re-read the detail text) that would make it desirable.

The other thing to think about is with 30+ entries, judging in any reasonable timeframe is hard. Anything that is not great has to be cut quickly and without mercy. If this comp only had 5 entries, being cheap probably wouldn’t have been as much of a reason?

4 Likes

Personally, I think that mentioning “points off” for going outside the price range was not the best thing to put in the brief. With how broad that range was, you could well have made it a hard limit.

And though I do think this is a good challenge overall - let alone for a first attempt - I also believe it reads and plays much more like a CSR than a QFC. It’s all neat and detailed.

That being said, I think the people complaining about how the judging doesn’t work out to “highest number = win” are being a bit unreasonable. In this challenge, the brief included realism considerations, client considerations (again, why this is kind of a quasi-CSR) and a high emphasis on styling, so obviously you can’t just build “the perfect car” and wait for your supposedly inevitable victory/podium. And it’d be boring if that were how this worked.

Overall, I think we should let the host cook and finish the challenge as it was intended.

21 Likes

Longitudinal engine. Everything about my entry is brave foolhardy at best. I had something objectively better, but it went to another dealer.

Reviews Round 2 (½): Sat in the middle

Greetings,

Today I have a list of thirteen cars that made it through my initial considerations, but faltered along the way. Most of these are jack-of-all-trades and masters of none, but some fall behind, sometimes severely. To start off your day, I will begin with a good one, though the rest will be in no particular order.

@VanZandt_Breda

// 1995 Van Zandt Capstone Grand

(OOC Notes: Odd looks, not bad, but it looks like it’s having a bad day. In general, a pretty good entry. Also, very brave to be one of the only ones not using active or hydropneumatic suspension.)

Long form

The Van Zandt Capstone Grand is another odd vehicle. It’s one of the few vehicles with a front-transverse engine layout, meaning the engine sits sideways, usually reserved for front-wheel-drive vehicles. What makes it more odd is the halved amount of cylinders compared to most of the competition, being a 3.9 liter V6. Like the MJD, it uses advanced CnC machining for the crankshaft, and again, it was not required, with calculations showing that a cast crank was more than enough for the torque and RPM. The rest of the engine is of good quality, and features a turbocharger, though the output is only 283 horsepower, despite very advanced timing, because of an antiquated mechanical fuel injection system. I understand it gives a sense of familiarity, but in my opinion, the benefits of computerized fuel injection outweighs the cons. Furthermore, the exhaust is undersized, and the intercooler is also undersized.

The car is driven by a computerized automatic transmission, giving power to all four wheels through a viscous limited-slip differential. It’s slightly rear-biased, and the system is of high quality.

The vehicle rides on progressive spring suspension and 235/235 tires, more than equipped to deal with the output. It’s again unlike most in the segment which go for hydropneumatic suspension, air suspension or active suspensions.

The brake situation is opposite to the ones that were taken out of consideration; the front brakes are well-equipped for the task, with only miniscule fade. The rear brakes, however, fade quite a lot; not an issue, since they’re powerful enough to continue working normally even after being heated up significantly. A thing to note is brake airflow ducts, which are comically small and barely do anything (at 1/100 brake airflow).

The interior is handmade and of good quality, seating four, and entertaining four with a CD player. Like the Xf Beltiro, the C pillar is extended a bit further out than the most aesthetically pleasing position, but unlike the Beltiro, it actually does give the (this time existent) rear passengers more room.

To round it off: The engineers at Van Zandt did pay a fair amount of attention to weight reduction, unlike (which is becoming a common theme with this car) most manufacturers, which instead opted to make the vehicle as heavy as possible to further comfort and reliability. It results in one of the lightest cars that I looked at, weighing in at a mere 1529 kilos. It does not improve the drivability though.

In conclusion, a solid entry, which is a shining example of jack-of-all-trades and master of none. All stats are solid, and save for some odd design decisions, makes for a good car. There are however better entries, so unfortunately it fell out of consideration.

Verdict: Not taken in to consideration, partially due to styling and partially due to better options being available. It was, however, an edge case, and I doubted taking it to the semifinals several times.

@Madrias

// 1995 Minerva Solarian ELX

(OOC Notes: Holy shit. 12 liter V12? It’s cool as hell, but also hits the stats a bit, though I don’t think that’s a thing you didn’t know already. It looks okay, the headlights are a bit big and anachronistic for the 90’s though.
Also, the (lack of) techpool hit it in the stats as well, though more in the cost than anything.)

Long form

The Minerva Solarian is another car which is unconventional in design, but in one key aspect; the rumbling 12-liter V12. The engineers at Minerva decided that ‘No replacement for displacement’ is still a modern way of going about things, and slammed a nearly half-ton monster in the thing.

The engine, understandably, makes a lot of power, though airflow is slightly restricted through the use of a compact intake manifold (most likely to conserve the little engine bay space it had) and a slightly choked exhaust.

The 643 horsepower and 810 lb-ft of torque is bravely punched through a five-speed computerized automatic, driving the rear wheels only through a viscous limited slip differential. It understandably leads to a fair amount of wheelspin in first and second gear, though the addition of traction control and electronic stability control help manage this power.

The brakes are good and don’t fade at all, and it handles pretty well, even with the ridiculous amount of power smashed through the rear wheels, no objections there.

What is objectionable is the… 9.6, you read it right, 9.6 average miles per gallon. At cruise it improves to 14-or-so miles per gallon, but if my foot is heavy with lead one day, we will have to foot a significant bill. So yes, a 12-liter V12 does have its disadvantages, so not exactly a surprise the two-V6’s-smashed-together engine is the least economical I put to the test.

What’s good is the interior, which is of good quality and comes with a CD player, and can seat five. It also comes with the most modern safety technology available, and active comfort suspension.

In conclusion: Insane 1-liter-per-cylinder V12, very poor economy, and average in most other statistics, though it is too expensive to consider over the other, more cost-effective options.

Verdict: Not taken in to consideration, mainly due to high costs and average stats.

@S_U_C_C_U_L_E_N_T

// 1995 Hinode Lucent

(OOC Notes: Looks great, just isn’t in the segment. Looks much more premium than lug-shur-y, and even then, it does remind one of some of the mid-priced sedans and such.)

Long form

The Hinode Lucent was introduced in 1991 and for 1995 it received a facelift. It shares a lot in common with Toyota-Lexus… in fact, it uses the 1UZ-FE V8 verbatim. It’s a fine automobile, driving the 293 horsepower through a viscous limited slip differential and a four-speed computer controlled automatic transmission, which power the rear wheels. It drives fine, but the brakes are quite overpowered for the grip that the tires allow, which results in a pedal with a small range of actuation before the dead zone kicks in where ABS takes over. At least you sit in a high-quality luxury interior, which differs from most who’ve settled for hand-made interiors instead, though it does have a top-of-the-line CD player with it. It comes with all the latest safety gubbins and optional air suspension.

In short: A very excellent luxury car, but this is a market segment above. The looks don’t exactly announce its class even when studied, and it has a below-average score for both comfort and prestige. It also faltered in speed, where ìt’s a solid 30 mph slower than most entries.

Verdict: Not taken in to consideration, due to not being ‘opulent’ enough.

@IDK158

// 1995 Helron Duke Mallagan Special

(OOC Note: While the user has been regrettably banned, I will review it anyway, and boy, there’s a lot to talk about.)

Long form

The Helron Duke Mallagan Special is the result of a partnership between Helron and the coachbuilder Mallagan. It’s got an interesting face, and a funny shape. Many people have commented on the strange look, and some proponents have commented on the looks possibly being an interesting look in to future styling, possibly 20 years in to the future.

Unfortunately, the engineering of the vehicle is not a 20 year leap in to the future, not that you would enjoy that anyway. The engine is a 6.3 liter V-10, which uses CnC machining for the crank, which seems to be becoming a recurring theme. It then uses heavy-duty forged conrods and cast pistons, and a performance intake, which significantly increases intake noise, and even with a choked exhaust, it still violated the maximum noise regulation that I put on potential entries.

Regardless, it’s unfortunately not that great even disregarding the violation of the rule set. The driving system is not much out of the ordinary, being a computer-controlled five-speed automatic and a geared limited slip differential driving the rear wheels. It runs 225/225 tires, which aren’t entirely sufficient for the 480 horsepower it’s putting out, but not as bad as some of the earlier ones.

Now what’s offensive, and really did it for me, was the brakes. The rear brakes are just as powerful as the front ones. I’m not sure who thought that was a good decision, but they surely have to have been fired at this point. As I looked in to it further, it was constructed with no quality components anywhere, and the technology was antiquated compared to most of the competition. I didn’t need to look any further, and it was crossed out soon after.

In short: Very low comfort, no quality nor techpool, poor engineering. It had to go in the bin, even after I thought I was finished with them.

Verdict: Bin.

@Ducethetruth100

// 1995 Wells i6 GT R12-L

(OOC Notes: Looks okay, small door handles, but let down by the odd choice of a premium interior instead of luxury or hand-made.)

Long form

When I read “Wells i6 GT R12-L”, I thought it was powered by an inline-six at first, however, 12-L was actually representative of what it came with, being shipped with a six-liter V12 engine. It’s a bit loud due to a performance intake, but overall pretty average.

What wasn’t average was when I stepped in to the vehicle on my test drive. It wasn’t lavishly furnished with leathers and handmade components, for it was instead made like any other premium car. That simply wouldn’t do, and thus this one was also crossed out. Regardless, I took the opportunity to take it out for the test drive. All-wheel-drive, another computer-controlled automatic, and, surprisingly, sports tires. That didn’t redeem its comfort flaw though, and thus I remained unswayed about the car.

In conclusion: Least comfortable car in the list, not all that prestigious either, and is also just too cheap in general, coming in at 33600 AMU.

Verdict: Bin. It’s less comfortable than the car I submitted for QFC19 (50 flat comfort), which wasn’t even hyperluxury.

@Rise_comics

// 1995 Otori Neptune

(OOC Notes: Strange suspension setup, but quite good looks, barring the six fog light situation. Also violated tire rule and was on the cusp of being illegal noise-wise at an exact 45 flat.)

Long form

The Otori Neptune was introduced in 1994, and was revised for the 1995 model year. It comes with a twin-turbocharged 3.4 liter boxer-6, with crank, conrods and pistons being of the most advanced materials money can buy, with a CnC’d crank, CnC’d titanium conrods, and lightweight forged pistons, it comes with all. Unfortunately due to the twin turbos, it doesn’t actually perform well until 4500 rpm, and good luck getting it there, due to the heavy harmonic dampers. Either way, it’s an odd engine, but not particularly out of line from what we’ve seen before, barring the performance intake.

The 511 horses are sent to the wheels through an all-wheel-drive system connected to a conventional automatic transmission and viscous limited slip differentials. The AWD is rear-biased by a good margin.

Unfortunately, it runs on race tires, namely 230/230mm. Would have been somewhat acceptable, if they weren’t medium compound, and thus extremely hard to find. Along with that, the brakes are rear-biased, not making much sense, with again the front brakes fading first, leading to unpredictable braking behavior. Along with that, the suspension is oddly a double wishbone on the front and pushrod on the rear, and combined with a standard luxury interior plus active sport suspension, it fails to satisfy the comfort needs. It also rode low enough for the front tires to rub against the fender, damaging both the race tires and the fender when turning. Great.

I wasn’t thrilled about learning all that, so I unfortunately had to take this one out of consideration too.

In short: One of the least comfortable, and violated some rules. Also rode too low. Also has a strange engine tune. But hey, super high fuel economy because of it. Still didn’t redeem it though.

Verdict: Bin.

Additional notes: I ran out of time today.
Part 2 of part 2 comes tomorrow. Have a nice day everyone.

21 Likes

Ah well. Ya win some, ya lose some.

3 Likes

Here’s hoping mine does reasonably okay. :crossed_fingers:

3 Likes

Even if it indeed feels more like a CSR, so with more depth than needed, the reviews are profound and convincing, especially considering the amount of entrants. For a first hosting, it’s really solid up to this point. And one should not blame a rather new person here for not clearly seperating QFC/CSR, that’s also rather something you need more experience for.

4 Likes
Reviews Round 2 (2/2): Sat in the middle

Greetings,

This is merely a continuation. No useless flavor text that only serves to lengthen this post unecessarily for you >:)

@Mikonp7

// 1995 Bergmann Geist V10 (USDM)

(OOC Notes: It sure looks stealthy…but not in a “I removed the M badging off of my M3 for some scrub to put on their 318i”, but rather “I drive a Corolla XRS”. Yea, it’ll surprise people with its performance and feel, but it doesn’t really announce “I’m better than you” when closely inspected.)

'Long' form

The Bergmann Geist is another interesting vehicle, being another vehicle with a front-transverse engine layout. It features a 5 liter V10, except it’s actually illegal to have in the US and Gasmea due to completely lacking any kind of catalytic converter, which means we couldn’t actually import it.

It’s perfectly cromulent besides that, but I simply couldn’t acquire it.

In short: Okay entry, low prestige due to regular luxury interior, illegal in the US.

Verdict: Bin

@crwpitman1

// 1995 Canmo Condor Andes

(OOC Notes: Some strange positioning on the front fascia, but not offensive looks. Also brave to use a semi trailing arm instead of the usual multi-link, with progressive springs.)

Long form

The 1995 Canmo Condor Andes is another entry that is quite average in most areas. It uses an aluminum V-12 with a CnC’d crank and forged conrods and pistons. It uses a single throttle with variable length runners and runs completely fine on 87 octane.

The rear wheels are powered through a computer-controlled five-speed automatic transmission, aided with a viscous limited slip differential, nothing out of the ordinary here.

It rides on 225/245 tires to account for sending nearly 500 horsepower down the rear end, with alloy rims. It’s fine at lower speeds, but beyond 60 mph it starts to understeer a fair bit.

Now the brakes, they’re like the Van Zandt. Front brakes are cromulent, while the rear brakes fade a bunch. Again, not particularly an issue, but something to consider fixing in a possible later facelift.

The interior is nice, not as high quality as most of the others, but still hand-made and of good quality, plus a CD player. It also seats five, an additional seat to most.

The Condor is also one of the few that used spring suspension instead of air, hydropneumatic or active suspension. A plus to the reliability, but unfortunately, springs don’t beat riding on a cloud, watery cloud or computers.

In short: Low comfort, brave use of trailing arms and progressive springs, and pretty cromulent besides that.

Verdict: Not taken in to consideration due to low comfort and otherwise average stats.

@Danicoptero

// 1995 Umbra Conquistador V10

(OOC Notes: Again, doesn’t look ‘lug-shur-y’ enough to me, and the big blank area with the hood and headlights are odd.

Long form

The Umbra Conquistador V10, is, as the name suggests, powered by a 5-liter V10. It’s forged for all the internals, but it doesn’t use balance shafts like some other V10s, instead settling with large harmonic dampers instead. It is also remarkable for a performance intake with a throttle per cylinder, and steel tubular headers.

The wheels are powered through an all-wheel-drive system coupled to electronically-controlled differentials and a five-speed computer controlled transmission. Most settled for a slight rear bias with their AWD systems, and this one is no different at a 40/60 power split.
The car rides on 215/235mm tires, with magnesium 18” rims. Due to the stagger and not having RWD, it also suffers from understeer beyond 60 miles per hour.

The brakes are okay, but a little bit weak, fortunately with no fade or outrageous brake balance.

The interior is of excellent quality, and is hand-made by master craftsmen. It also comes with a (somewhat common) top-of-the-line CD player. It does however use out-of-date safety systems like a first-generation airbag for the driver, but also strangely includes electronic stability control.

Finally, it rides on a hydropneumatic suspension setup, and uses semi-active sway bars for some peppier handling characteristics.

In conclusion, a compelling choice, with excellent comfort and good engineering, save for some understeer at speed and using very modern technology, and not too prestigious styling.

Verdict: Passes on to the semifinals. Cromulent engineering, but not the greatest styling. Another edge case like the Van Zandt, but this time the stats backed it up.

@Ludvig

// 1995 Fowler Baltimore

(OOC: What do I hear? ‘Murica. 360ci V8 with pushrods. Wait, twin turbo? Okay then.
Looks nice, but I don’t exactly know what’s going on with that twin hood scoop, and the pop-ups are a brave choice. Also, 88x120mm bore/stroke is odd to say the least, faux diesel much?)

Long form

The Fowler Baltimore is yet another interesting car, ranging from its looks to the engine. Let’s begin with that.

The Baltimore is powered by the 59v8PRFeAl84354-872-24. What all the numbers and letters stand for? I have no idea. Like 5.9L, V8, PushRod, Cast Iron block, Aluminum head, and then it all falls apart what the rest means. Oh well, that’s not the point. It’s an American V8 with pushrods…and twin turbos? You know, I’m not the one to particularly care if it at least runs good.
For your information, it doesn’t, really. It runs quite rough compared to the V12 and V10 competition, and comes with long intake runners. As a result, lots of torque, but not much power.

All that power is sent to the…front wheels? Longitudinally? Is this another GM product? Well, besides that, it sends power through a five-speed computer controlled transmission with a geared limited slip differential.

It rides on 235/235 tires sitting on magnesium rims. Due to the fact that it is (Engineered by GM) front wheel drive, it tends to understeer, like the previous two vehicles. Again, usually not a problem, but I’m not particularly interested in ‘usual’ driving when shit happens.

Moving on, the brakes are cromulent and barely fade at all, not much to say about that.

The interior is of good quality and is hand-made, and comes with a satellite navigation system. Again, security concerns, but it is easily disabled, no favor lost there. Seating four, it’s like most in the list.

It comes with advanced safety, a good 10-year leap in to the future, despite being based on an 11-year-old chassis. As a result, it earns a very good safety score. Along with that, it also has electronic stability control.

Like the Conquistador, it rides on a hydropneumatic suspension system with semi-active sway bars.

In conclusion: It’s a good car, but it’s just painfully average. It’s opulent in a bland way. It doesn’t scream “I have sixteen maids working on one of twelve bathrooms in my mansion”, but it’s more silently saying that you’ve got 30 years of experience in your business segment. The V8 is a bolder option, and earned some favor points from being familiar to the boss.

Verdict: Passed to the semifinals. It’s average, but unlike some, it’s never outrageous, it’s never questionable, it just…is.

@Fantic2000

// 1995 Litchfield 600 LS

(OOC Notes: There’s just something…off about the front. I can’t really put it exactly, but it looks kind of funny. Besides that, it’s good, but perhaps the purple is a bit eh.)

Long form

The Litchfield 600 LS is another okay vehicle. It doesn’t excel at much, being just above average in comfort and just below average in everything else. It’s powered by a 6.9 liter V12, of all-aluminum construction, and has fully cast internals. A single variable intake manifold feeds it air, with tubular steel headers to flow in to the exhaust.

It sends the power through a six-speed computer-controlled automatic transmission and geared limited-slip differential to the rear wheels. The tires are 225/235, and ride on steelies, which is uncommon among the entries. The rims are very large though, and don’t leave much sidewall to additionally absorb any bumps.

As a result of the minimal stagger and rear-wheel-drive, it is very sporty in tendency to either oversteer or understeer. Furthermore, it retains good handling at any speed.

The interior is hand-made and of good quality, along with a satellite navigation system. It also seats five.

The vehicle comes with advanced safety and electronic stability control, with some attention being paid to making the vehicle heavier at the front.

The suspension is, as most, a hydropneumatic setup, but this time with active sway bars to control body roll more.

In short: A good entry, with average stats to back it up. It’s on the expensive side, but it’s also faster than most entries.

Verdict: Passed on to the semifinals. Average, but good.

@FidleDo

// 1995 Senko 830ttx Kessaku

(OOC Notes: The styling is odd, I don’t particularly like the massive chrome blob on the bottom of the car. The headlights and the rest of the fascia is fine though. What isn’t fine is that it’s riding on the default steelie rims lol)

Long form

The Senko 830ttx Kessaku is a very, very unconventional vehicle for this segment. It has an advanced semi-space frame chassis constructed out of exclusively aluminum and bonded with aerospace-grade glues. Already quite off-putting.

It’s powered by a 3 liter V6, of aluminum alloy construction. Forged internals and balance shafts line the inside of the engine. It is strangely enough only a single overhead cam design, though. As a result of being a V6, it runs quite rough compared to the V12s.

It does come with twin turbos, boosting the output to a smidge over 400 horsepower, and comes with gasoline direct injection, a highly advanced new technology, which doesn’t actually increase its thermal efficiency that much, coming in at 18.1%, while most others had between 22 and 26%. The rest of the engine is unremarkable.

Power is distributed to all wheels, driven by a six-speed computer controlled automatic with the help of some viscous limited-slip differentials. It is surprisingly a 50/50 split, unlike most who have gone for a rear-biased system.

The tires are 205/225, which results in yet another case of understeer at higher speeds. The tires are put on a set of magnesium rims.

The brakes are a bit weak, with a very small amount of fade, which is not an issue in this case.

The interior is handmade, but of no higher quality than most cars out there, and it seats four. A bit of a disappointment, seeing all the attempts at being fancy, but leaving things to be desired as well.

It also comes with highly modern safety, and electronic stability control, however, recirculating ball steering makes it hard for me to feel the road, which is a hit to actually driving it at the limit.

As with most cars here, it rides on a hydropneumatic suspension system, this time with semi-active sway bars for rolling control.

In conclusion: Below average stats across the board, with price being the only one that was in the middle.

Verdict: Not taken in to consideration. Just below average in most fields, mostly due to the very conservative use of quality, despite the ridiculous budget.

@Hilbert

// 1990 Vercruz Luxury In America V8 Minivan Ballin’ Jacuzzi

(OOC Notes: You don’t need notes.)

Jacuzzi.

Verdict: Honorary victory

15 Likes

Biggest L that I’ve taken :sob:

5 Likes

The Litchfield looks very similar to some of the sport modes of the Toyota Crown from that period - I think that’s where the inspiration may be.

Glad I got past the first couple rounds. Was going for a traditional American take on luxury with all it’s caveats.

2 Likes

Actually my main inspiration for the frontend of the Litchfield was the Nissan Gloria with a similar headlight setup. Other smaller elements on the car have some hints of the Nissan Cima in them.

3 Likes

I see some Bentley there, too. From some angles it very nicely displays that prominent front/trailing rear that old-school Bentley and Rollers were all about. As a pose, it’s the automotive equivalent of a king standing tall and proud, armor in the front and a long fancy cape in the back:

3 Likes

How on Earth could anyone miss that?! Then again, it wouldn’t have made it to the next round anyway.

I take that as “It’s not going to advance, but at least it has something no other entrant has”.

And since my entry hasn’t been mentioned yet, I’m more confident than ever of at least reaching the semifinals.

2 Likes

The end of bins wasn’t mentioned yet though. :wink:

5 Likes

Yep, that’s unusual, but again, it’s really a lot to do for a first-time host so I think that’s ok.

3 Likes

The workload was much more than expected; instead of thoroughly giving every car an inspection I had to just fill in the stats in to the sheet and move on to the next one, so some rule violations slipped through, and I failed to mention said rule violations to some of the entrants.

5 Likes

You’re doing a great job. No complaints.

6 Likes