QFC26 - Baby on the Way

Aw, shucks. Well, at least it was decent - good luck to the finalists!

1 Like

Well fuck me, this is what happens when you use the same base for two challenges. :rofl:

Well I did it again…making a car that is average but with a price that is too high. Atleast my car got called handsome. :sunglasses:

Tuna, noooooooo!

Nice, I had a feeling the Palmera+ was a good one. I hope it does well in the finals

mmmmmm
Not sure if i failed this time but i’ll say that i will probably enter a normal car next time.
Troll… Complete? Return to HQ.

1 Like

Thanks for the review and feedback, I definitely appreciate it. Im shocked it had the best driveability, and I really did try to give it a premium-ish look to it, glad that came across in the judging. I struggle on differential choices :weary: as i never know which one to pick and why. Whats your take on the engine tuning and fuel eco numbers, how could those have better? Thanks again for the review and i wish the best to all the rest of the contestants.

And now, I would’ve have losf regardless of if I did or didn’t get binned.

Why do I spend hours on a car for a challenge that I’ll lose anyway.

That’s my rant, yell at me or try to be motivational but I lost regardless and there’s nothing I can do. There is no next time for next time would be a completely different challenge.

1 character does indeed influence how something happens…

Hey, a typical number of entries in a large challenge can be around 30. Even if it was a lottery where everyone had as much of a chance of winning, 29 people would lose in that case. I can’t really get why people sometimes put such a large emphasis on that, as long as the challenge is judged somewhat fair (I especially have a hard time understanding why some people can go on forever about something that might have put the car in 24th place instead of 27th if the flaw was totally ignored…). The chances of winning are slim in any case, and it’s not like if it is money or something involved, so why take a game that is supposed to be fun that seriously?

Yes, I can understand that people get upset when the judging is actually screwed up or when the salt goes over the border, because hearing “haha your car is butt ugly, it just sucks” is of course not fun when you have put time and energy into it. But when the judging is fair, the reviews constructive (both things applies in this case), what are you going to achieve with complaining?

It seems like you’re failing to see the whole bunch of people that got knocked out early (including me) that is NOT complaining, and instead you’re taking it personally. Imagine how the challenge threads would look if everyone that wasn’t winning should start posting rants, they would be pretty cluttered down then, wouldn’t they?

3 Likes

It is what it is, I see your point as to how this isnt something we should get worked up on.

It was just that in the moment, it was something that just felt like a wasted moment of time that I spent on the car.

Regarding the bin for fuel octane being low…

I thought if the brief mentions the customer wants 91 unleaded RON then I assume we use the final octane calculation in the detail card:

(My assumption being as long as it is below <91 then it is acceptable, and we use the number in the final spec card)

My understanding with the new engine designer is that the fuel maps are automatically set by the designer and we are just optimizing for this target fuel (not sure, but that’s one of the reasons that, in this version, the devs mentioned that us players not running into knock as often - as that is automatically set?)

So with this understanding I thought we just use the final octane number in the spec card because in the engine designer we are not exactly defining what the engine runs on, but just optimizing based on this particular fuel type and choosing which family (ie. for unleaded fuels, then it can only run unleaded, not methane etc.)

Because if I set this to an optimization target of 91 Regular, then the final spec card outputs a required fuel octane of 96:

So my understanding is that this happens because I run a quite high compression ratio, and so I think if I optimize the engine settings against 91 regular, then technically it needs 96 octane fuel to prevent knock, whereas if I optimize it against 85 regular, then technically it needs 90 octane fuel (still below 91) to prevent knock…

Can anyone else confirm?

Adding to this, on a previous version I did set it to optimize against 91 octane fuel in the engine designer, but it sometimes goes up to 91 or 92 exact so I thought it was safer to target a final octane rating of 90 instead in the final spec card, so that was why it was like that in the engine designer.

(tl;dr - I used the final spec sheet/card octane number instead of the optimization target number in the engine designer, as I am pretty sure the one in the final spec card is the more accurate requirement)

1 Like

When it comes to differentials, for the most part it comes down to how much wheel spin you have and the car’s intended purpose. Having wheel spin in first gear is usually fine. It’s when you start having wheel spin in the higher gears you want to start looking at the other options.
For most of your normal, every day cars use an open diff. These tend not to have enough power to need anything more. For your more powerful cars, either sports cars or heavy duty utility vehicles, a clutched LSD or geared LSD tend to be a good option. Viscous is most common in AWD vehicles. Electric LSD could be seen as a modern alternative to a clutched one.
Lockers are what you mostly see on offroad trucks and SUVs (though a small number of high performance muscle cars from the 60’s did use them as well). Manual lockers for your more run of the mill trucks and automatic lockers for more premium stuff. I hope this is helpful.

4 Likes

This is DAMN helpful, copy and pasted, thankyou!!

2 Likes

Any updates on this?

2 Likes

You’re not alone in feeling this frustration. I have an idea to address this very thing. Will DM you now, otherwise will make a thread before long.

FINAL ROUND

Go Go Drive! July 2003 Indonesia Edition - CBU Family Car Comparo!

Narrator:

When talking about family cars, two cars would always come into mind: either the Hinode Rusa or the Pikemen FAR-Q. Things are changing quickly however, as the country recovers from the 1998 crisis and the local car market is opened up to imported cars. Now, cars of all shapes and sizes from all corners of the world compete where the Rusa and FAR-Q once dominated.

In today’s issue, we will be looking at five family car offerings from Hakaru, Capriolo, Bazard, Arundely, and Umbra. Each offer their own blend of practicality, comfort, economy, and more to meet the transportation needs of the country’s ever-growing middle class.

Hakaru Zenza Lanio 2.0 Auto

@executive

The Zenza Lanio is the only Japanese car in today’s issue, which just goes to show the sheer diversity of cars currently entering our market. The Lanio looks handsome and very contemporary, with careful attention to detail both inside and outside.

And the Zenza Lanio’s insides are wonderful indeed. For something that looks relatively anonymous from the outside, the Lanio is well-equipped with premium upholstery and soft touch plastic on the dashboard and doors. Interior fit and finish are among the best in class. Rear cargo room is also massive, mostly due to the lack of third-row seats which would have been welcome in a car this size but is unfortunately not possible to incorporate due to technical issues.

The car does will in most day to day driving metrics. The Hakaru has the most powerful engine of all the cars in today’s issue, at 142hp. However, this power is achieved with relatively aggresive engine tuning which makes the car the thirstiest of the bunch at 8.9l/100km. Reliability is also a major concern, with ratings lower than even the Italian Capriolo CrossTurismo.

The Zenza Lanio is a very good family car, especially if aspects like acceleration and cargo space matter a lot. However, there are issues that must be addressed before we could consider it a truly exceptional family car.

Capriolo CrossTurismo 180 Progresso

@kookie

The Turismo was first released in 1996 as Capriolo’s line of sports wagons and for 2003, the car has been facelifted, inside and out. In addition, the company has also introduced the new CrossTurismo, a combination of a traditional station wagon and the ruggedness of an SUV, with a selection of engines ranging from a beefy 3.2l V6 to the more common 1.8l inline 4 offered in the 180 Progresso.

The CrossTurismo and other Turismo models commands attention wherever it goes, with its distinctive front grille informing the onlookers of the car’s Italian heritage, performance, and prestige. Plastic cladding is present on the bottom surfaces to both hinder paint chipping and to give the car an air of toughness normally reserved for more utilitarian cars.

Despite being an offroad-oriented model, the CrossTurismo still shows its sporting pedigree, trumping the competition in terms of sportiness. The car’s 1.8l engine features individual throttle bodies, which improves throttle response and makes for a distinctive exhaust note that enthusiasts are likely to appreciate. Despite the purported performance benefits of ITBs however, the engine is tuned to produce more low-end torque in keeping with the offroad theme. In addition to ITBs, the CrossTurismo also makes use of a viscous LSD, which together with the front-biased AWD system aids in the car’s handling in offroad conditions and during spirited driving sessions.

While the CrossTurismo makes for an excellent sports and offroad wagon, everyday performance may not be the best. There is cargo room and seats for five, but overall passenger and cargo volume is limited compared to other cars. This and the sporting nature of the car mean that the car isn’t the most pleasant to ride in. And due to the relatively complex AWD system, fuel consumption is relatively high and concerns about reliability persist. In addition, while the CrossTurismo uses high-tensile steel on its construction and standard ABS and traction control, its safety ratings are still somewhat behind comparable rivals. Even at the rather expensive 162,5 million IDR however, the CrossTurismo is a relatively cheap way to own a stylish and capable Italian car.

If you prioritize on- and off-road handling as well as design, the CrossTurismo is an excellent choice. However, if everyday performance is more important, there are other options that fulfill this need better.

Bazard Prancer

@Edsel/@Vento

The Prancer is by far the smallest and cheapest car among the cars in today’s issue, costing 126,5 million IDR. Yet for the money, the Prancer has a lot to offer. For a car its size, it is very spacious. Comfort is good, although there is room for improvement in many areas of this car.

Despite being new for 2003, the Prancer uses a lot of older technologies that compromise the car’s efficiency. This includes the single-point fuel injection system, which have been phased out in most cars by the 1990s. Even though the engine makes use of VVL technology, the outdated fuel injection system means that the car consumes an average of 7.1l/100km in mixed city and highway traffic. This is good, but for a car this size it could be better.

In addition to the engine, the Prancer’s suspension tuning could use some work. While comfortable, the Prancer can feel unsettling on rough roads due to the overly soft front springs. Same goes for the dampers, which could use some stiffening.

The car is not all bad though. Much like the bigger cars, the Prancer is equipped with the latest safety features, with ABS as standard. Due to its small size, it is also easy to manouver around tight spaces compared to the larger cars. And thanks to its mechanical simplicity, the Prancer is much cheaper to service than its competition.

If you are looking for basic, economical transport with extra comfort and amenities, the Prancer is the car for you. But compared to the other cars, well… you get what you pay for.

Arundely 600 Touring Classic

@vouge

The Arundely offers outstanding luxury and attention to detail, not just for the price but for a car in general. Although all cars in this issue come with premium interiors, the 600 Touring Classic goes a step further with a premium, four-speaker entertainment suite. That, combined with the superb fit and finish makes for a very comfortable car with minimal noise, vibrations, and harshness.

With the added weight and complexity of the Arundely, one might expect reliability to be bad. Consumer reports say otherwise however, with the 600 Touring Classic earning high marks in reliability ratings. Service costs are estimated to be on the high side, but that is a small price to pay for the overall experience this car offers. Fuel economy is also the best of the lot, with the average being 6.1l/100km thanks to the use of VVL and direct injection technology in the engine’s valvetrain and fuel system respectively.

As for practicality, the Arundely offers ample passenger and cargo space which, while not the best in class, certainly makes the space a very pleasant and elegant one. There are seats for five, and the car comes with the latest safety features as well as ESC, which makes the car much easier to control in extreme conditions.

The Arundely offers a very good combination of comfort, practicality, economy, and safety that few can match, especially for the relatively low price of 158.6 million IDR.

Umbra Palmera+

@Danicoptero

The Palmera+ is the largest car in this issue, both inside and outside. It is also the only car to have seven seats distributed across three rows in a 2-3-2 format. Because of this, the Palmera is without a doubt the most practical car of the bunch, being able to carry loads of people and cargo.

Despite being such a large car, the Palmera+'s fuel economy is decent at 7.9l/100km which is much better than the Zenza Lanio’s considering that both engines are 2l and make around 140hp. This is thanks to the use of dual VVT and direct injection in the engine’s valvetrain and fuel system respectively, as well as the more economical engine tuning. Reliability is also stellar, beating the Arundely by just a hair. The same could not be said about the driving experience of the Palmera+ however, as the Umbra has yet to upgrade the automatic transmissions in their lineup with a modern, computerized unit. On one hand, that’s part of the reason why the car is so reliable. But on the other hand, they upgrade may have just been worth the reliability tradeoff.

Otherwise, the Palmera+ is a compelling package especially for larger families, or small families that like to go on holiday with their entire extended family, especially given the good 155.7 million IDR price tag. We wouldn’t mind paying a little extra for a more advanced gearbox which would undoubtedly improve drivability and comfort.

Thank you for watching this month’s issue and as always,

Go Go Drive!

CONCLUSION

After discussing their options and visiting dealerships, David decided to purchase one of the cars recommended by the automotive magazine. Neither David or Merry expected themselves to buy the car they bought but thanks to its practicality, safety, economy, style, and other factors that can’t very easily be rationalized, they feel very happy with their purchase.

Six months later, Merry gave birth to their second son. And wouldn’t you know it, their first daughter! Henceforth, David named them Shinji and Rei, respectively. Surely their newborn children will not grow up to become mech pilots who kick biblically accurate angel ass and serve as a medium for a Japanese guy to tell weebs to touch grass, only for those very same weebs to use that very same medium as a form of escapism, bringing themselves further away from any form of greenery and instead find themselves cultivating niche internet nanocelebrity status in the Mongolian Yurt Building Simulator Tycoon forums and Discord server.

Just kidding. David and Merry probably named their twins Joe and Jolene or something like that. Regardless, after getting released from the hospital, the family of five got into their brand-new Arundely 600 Touring Classic and drove straight home where a new life awaits them.

RANKINGS

1. @vouge
  2. @Danicoptero
  3. @Executive
  4. @kookie
  5. @Vento/@Edsel

The end.

Thank you for participating in this round and most importantly, thank you for your patience. I originally wanted to finish writing on time but things have not gone as planned due to circumstances both within and outside of my control. I apologize for the delay and any inconvenience caused by it.

It will (hopefully not) happen again.

22 Likes

Sweet! Thanks to @S_U_C_C_U_L_E_N_T for hosting this round and for the beautiful reviews. Am going to take up hosting, the next round will be up in a few days.

10 Likes

This has got to be my best result ever in a conventional challenge like this. :D

Thanks for the collab opportunity @Vento, I think we made something pretty neat! And great work to the host, too!

1 Like

This is my best result in a challenge too. I thought about having an advanced automatic, but I was afraid to go too premium.

Thank you the design you made was very good!