QFC34 - There And Back Again [reviews in progress]

This debate belongs elsewhere.

1 Like

BTW, why isn’t Vento’s entry among the new cars, since it was advertised as a 1982 model?

Well, shit. I had it as '81 in the sheet :grimacing:

Will append vento’s as fast as I can. My apologies.

I simply used a darker glass than usual for the taillight clusters - and extended the bumper morphing zones to simulate USDM 5-mph bumpers of the era.

Round 1.5: memory of a goldfish

@Vento

'82 Capable Mover

N:“Why’d you drag me here? And this hour too.”

K:“Because we didn’t look at something yesterday.”

N:“Capable motors? Aren’t those that manufacturer who had that brake scandal in Araga?”

K:"That was in what, like 1965? Stuff’s probably changed a bunch since then.

[Placeholder for image]

N:“Which self-respecting business paints their van fleet bright neon yellow?”

K:“Don’t know why it’s like that, but whatever. It’s reliable, relatively quick, carries a lot. Well-built, interior’s nice, though that 8-track stereo is pretty darn dinky.”

N:“Still, the thing is kind of an eyesore and a normal sore, being a van. Can’t put those seats further back.”

K:“I guess you have a point. Eh.”

[OOC:Second lowest comfort in the field. Second highest reliability, but there’s a car that does pretty much everything just a bit better than this; going back a couple years would’ve pretty much guaranteed success with your engineering. Does not advance, and sorry for missing you in the first post :grimacing:]

5 Likes

In case you wonder…the Swedish postal service, until recently when they changed to blue. :rofl:

5 Likes

Judging by the state of the packages I sent and received through DHL, I wouldn’t call that a self respecting business :joy:

13 Likes
Round 2: Utility everywhere

@Knugcab

'78 IP Freeway Star 1500 DX

K:“Now what are we even looking at today?”

N:“So I get that you want reliability and servicability. I want something that doesn’t make me want to gouge out my eyeballs. Therefore, look!”

N:“LOOK AT IT.”

K:“I don’t think I will.”

N:“Why!?”

K:“Because the engine is basically unservicable within a reasonable timespan. It is underneath the seats. Do you want to rip out the floorboards every time something’s up with the thing?”

N:“Well no, but…”

K:“Then we’re even.”

[OOC:engine underneath the seats makes this a dealbreaker despite pretty good high priority stats, although middling mid priority stats muddy the waters a bit. A shame really, this is one of the cars that I could totally see the two driving. Does not advance.]

@skawkclsrn
'78 Atlas Forêt

N:“Now this thing is what you want, isn’t it? The engine is servicable. It’s tiny compared to the engine bay. You can reach everywhere in there!”

K:“You know, this isn’t bad at all. Decently comfortable, very easy to service, tons of room. Bit harder to drive, but should be fine. Probably great offroad, even has a snorkel. Let’s take it for a spin.”

K:“I think the engine’s broken.”

N:“How so? It drives!”

K:“My foot is on the darn floor. It’s not really accelerating, and this first gear feels like it goes to forever.”

N:“Really? How fast are we going?”

K:“130km/h now, and we’re at redline as well, there’s no more gears to give either. Making quite the awful racket. I’m pretty sure it took like, 30 seconds to get to 100.”

N:“Why does every car I tell you to look at not work for you!?”

[OOC:

The car is barely any faster than a beetle. It also has horrific gearing, the short gearing counting for absolutely nothing as the first gear is maxed out at 67km/h. It also has a helical LSD when a locker would’ve made much more sense considering its 4x4 drivetrain. It’s also generally just underpowered at 1541kg and 85.7 horsepower. Very unfortunate, as its otherwise quite okay, and looks great. Does not advance.]

@moroza

'79 Norðwagen Baldur P-6x4

N:“This time, I did research!

K:“I thought you’re supposed to do that all the time in university… Hold the phone, the hell is that badge? Is that a Norðwagen? Why are there so many?”

N:“Because what happens when you buy a lot of things at the same time? They usually get cheaper per piece. And guess what? The postal service is getting rid of these. Norðwagens! They make utilitarian things too.”

K:“I don’t like that badge on there. Probably means the throttle plate is going to fall off when its wide open and the injectors will fall in to the cylinders. That ACR Lanea wagon I had that overheated in the winter is reportedly just as reliable as the darn L-12. Even have the picture.”

N:“Okay, but Norðwagen put the budget that they usually would put in to making the everything overbearingly luxurious and unreliable in to making it unbreakable. Like, actually unbreakable. I don’t think it’s ever been reported as having broken down. And just look at the laundry list of features!”

K:“Right…looks a bit hard to get to the belts and water pump, engine’s pretty long. Could probably move a mountain with the size and torque. Pretty comfortable, excess of space everywhere. And not slow! Y’know, I say keep in mind for now.”

[OOC:Highest reliability of them all, decently comfortable, probably capable of driving up and down the mountains themselves, decent servicability, and an excess of space. Advances handily.]

@DuceTheTruth100
'75 Wells Land Runner

N:“I thought it would have been bigger than this…”

K:“That’s what she said. Besides, the hood on this is tiny and the engine’s a 1.9-liter V6…?”

N:“More cylinders means more better, does it not?”

K:“No, and its kind of pathetic even with the shag carpet making it pretty comfortable.”

[OOC: None of its stats particularly stand out, and its servicability is quite poor, along with poor space and not even that good performance for having a V6. Does not advance.]

@Ch_Flash

'66 Hamfa Fogg 1300

N:“This one’s already got experience! Ain’t that cool?”

K:“Well, I like it. It’s pretty good, no wonder it probably made it back home.”

K:“Nicely servicable, not stupendously slow, pretty comfortable, though people say these Hamfas are a bit on the unreliable side.”

N:“It’s good?”

K:“I think so.”

[OOC: Holds its own even being the oldest vehicle submitted, very surprising. Reliability low, everything else pretty good.]

@abg7
'80 LVC LC2A Cargovan

N:“Have we gone back to boring crap?”

K:“Well, it is pretty boring. But it’s sensible.”

K:“It’s easily servicable. Not all too comfortable, but pretty nippy and efficient.”

N:“But front-wheel-drive and no clearance? What if we’ve got a crap road?”

K:“Eh, I guess you’re right. It’s not really…special. Or great at anything, really.”

[OOC:I don’t really have much to say. It doesn’t do anything great, but it doesn’t do anything wrong either. It’s just okay, I guess, but there’s better out there. So it won’t advance.]

Advancing:

@moroza Norðwagen Baldur P-6x4
@Ch_Flash Hamfa Fogg 1300

9 Likes

If they didn’t like the FWD open diff, just wait for the RWD open diff!

1 Like

Argh, Not me mounting the engine on a subframe at the bottom of the vehicle…

Hello everyone.

Due to unexpected personal circumstances I can no longer host the challenge. I am incredibly sorry for perhaps wasting your time.

As of now, there is no ranking. I will not be able to suggest a way to end the round as I will be gone for now.

Please do not ask me about the event.

Thank you for the submissions, they were wonderful, and I’m
again sorry I can’t continue the reviews.

Have a good one.

15 Likes

Be safe, I hope all turns out ok.

1 Like

Sad to hear, and it sounds damn serious. In this case, it is the right descision to put your focus elsewhere.

1 Like

I hope for the best, mate. Take whatever time you need.

1 Like

Sounds ghastly, whatever it was. I will not pry. I just hope that the situation gets better, you get back on your feet, and are able to continue living your best life. Obviously, we will not heap any obligations upon you; most likely a new round will start, and whenever things get better for you you may write up the ending of this one if you still wish to.

Best of luck to you; get back to us when and only when you’re confident that it’s okay.

4 Likes

He is really so great as nothing.
What about 280 symbols?

Make sure your ok before worrying about anyone else. Take as long out as needed.

As far as qfc carries on its probably easiest to just go to the next person in the list in qfc 33 isn’t it?

That’s me. Yeah, I can cook QFC35 up if you are comfortable with me doing the last of ARM judging first, which isn’t too far away.

(BTW, Shibusu, whatever have happened, I wish you the best.)

2 Likes

And well… It’s up then!

2 Likes