QFC37 - Checkered Carriage [FINALS RELEASED]

SALON TOURING 2.0 LS

The second generation of Salon Touring has been on the market for a number of years now, but has proven itself to be a dependable vehicle for families and fleet drivers alike. For the 1986 model year, all Touring models will receive fuel injection as standard equipment.

Fleet model shown in the pictures includes the basic exterior package without extra trim pieces, cloth interior, faux wood dashboard, as well as cassette entertainment as well as a smooth 3-speed automatic gearbox and power steering for an effortless driving experience.

14 Likes

1986 Viverna Nostrum 2000 IGI Taxi

POV: you’re lost in the countryside; a wild taxicab has arrived.

Dare you get in?

15 billion lira, or 15.000 Autodollars gets you:
2.0 16V multipoint fuel injected inline four , coupled with the Infinitronica gearbox ensures perfect gearing at all times.
Mature platform, with proven legendary Italian reliability and compliant independent suspension.
0-100 in 8.9 seconds, 80-120 in 6,2 seconds, 210 km/h top speed - high performance for a taxi, despite the bargain basement engine.
6.9 L/100km and future-proof WES9 compliance for low operating costs.
Large booty to carry lots of cheese, and not a dirty, smelly Diesel, unlike our german competion.

5 Likes

'83 Uxor E O32 1.6 CH

5 Likes
Made by RAZR

1986 Moretti 186 GA

More Images Made by RAZR Made by RAZR Made by RAZR
Information Made by RAZR
4 Likes

EXTENSION ANNOUNCEMENT

In order to enable submissions from people who are too busy on Christmas, I am extending the deadline for this challenge to 2 PM CST on December 26. Judging will still be posted in its entirety before the end of that coming week.

3 Likes
is anyone even going to read this? I guess I'll just put a spaceship here (_)(_)=====D~~

The 1986 G0F series Harrier GTP

By Halvson

The G0 Harrier has been freshly updated for 1986 with its F series, with new lights, bumpers, and equipment, and the GTP (General Taxi Package) improves on that even more with fleet specific features such as a simple to clean and comfy interior, standard quiet, smooth, and efficient BlueBlock six cylinder, and easy to replace bumpers. All capped off with EFI now standard across the range.

Available now for $15,400, call your nearest Halvson dealer or fleet rep for more details, to book a test drive, and to discuss fleet buying options.

3 Likes

Since I was politely asked to not enter a fake diesel, you are competing against an Astrona 180 GLT (GL Taxi).

3 Likes

Dalluha Coach & Motor Works presents…

1986 DCMW Marqaba Special

Starting at $14500

Rumor has it, some of these accidentally left the factory with the interior of a Marqaba Supremacy costing nearly 20 times a Special. DCMW sent out letters to all purchasers, indicating that they may exchange any such cars for another one with the correct interior, or may keep it at their discretion, in either case for no charge.

Could yours be one of the lucky ones?

7 Likes

24 HOURS REMAINING

Merry Christmas! We’re almost home.

List of complete entries:

@abg7
@xsneakyxsimx
@ArizonaCaseo
@Riley
@Ch_Flash
@AndiD
@Happyhungryhippo
@yakiniku260
@Mad_Cat
@Ludvig
@RAZR
@lotto77
@moroza

@K4kW1R31 has an ad but needs to actually send in their car. Please direct-message me with the .car file attached and/or any questions.

@TheYugo45GV has sent in a .car but no ad. Please put one up.

Everybody who’s sent a .car in so far is rules-compliant, and no resubmission is required from their end.

IMPORTANT EDIT: I ask all last-minute competitors to double, triple-check that their car is in compliance with the rules prior to submitting. While I will work with contestants to bring their entries into compliance as the deadline approaches, it would make my job a lot easier if you were to not break any rules right off the bat. It would also make the first batch of reviews come out that much faster.

7 Likes

Eberwalder Motorenwerke - Apparatschik

Cheap, Big, Reliable. Made in Archania.

3 Likes

LECLERC 44

Vehicle Specifications

• 3.8l DOHC V6
  • 225 Horsepower
  • 346nm of torque
  • 0 - 60 in 9 seconds
  • 4 Speed Automatic
  • Passes WES Level 8 emissions restrictions.
6 Likes

1986 Caplan Cardinal

Info

1986 marked a facelift for Caplan’s fullsize Cardinal. While the majority of sales for this 211" long sedan belonged to better equipped Gran Cardinals, the basic Cardinal was still available for budget-conscious and fleet buyers. The basic powerplant remained the carbureted Caplan/Bolland 238 crossflow straight six, a long-serving OHV workhorse that produces a respectable 137 horsepower from 3.9 liters in this application, connected to a GM sourced THM200-4R automatic.

13 Likes

1986 IP ICARUS 2000 SX

Sacrifice costs. Not space.

7 Likes
Subsidiary Rivalry Time

Bushido Regent 2.4i FleetSpec, co-designed with @Falling_Comet

Pictured in advert is the consumer spec. A mockup taxi version has been sent to the company for better representation with slight changes regarding fleet-spec requirements.

Photos, including taxi-spec

13 Likes

Tarquini Voglia FLT

It’s not great, but it’s cheap and reliable.

2 Likes

ENTRIES CLOSED

Welp, it’s time. Most reviews have actually been written up by now, so I believe I am more than capable of delivering them before the due date.

List of additional complete entries:

@HermannMatern
@TheYugo45GV
@donutsnail
@Knugcab
@GetWrekt01
@Danicoptero

That makes for 19 entries so far. Not record-breaking turnout, but pretty good considering the holiday season.

@K4kW1R31 still hasn’t submitted their .car file. As they are new to the forum, I will contact them with an option to submit if possible.

Everybody who’s sent a .car in is rules-compliant, and no resubmission is required from them.

7 Likes

fuck i missed it

oh well…

QFC37 - ROUND 1 REVIEWS

Okay, Judgement Day is here. I would like to use up some space here up top to demonstrate how the reviews are going to work:

At the beginning of QFC as a challenge series, the prescription was to limit reviews to Tweet length, 140 characters. I am expanding that to the current free-user Tweet limit of 280, with each review briefly going over a car’s advantages, drawbacks and its fate in the challenge.

XB: But for cars that warrant some out-of-character challenge commentary - similar to what I do in full-length challenges - I will also write a less abbreviated meta-commentary on the bottom. Such a commentary shall be known - quite topically - as an X-Blue, or XB for short. I will only write XBs for cars that do not advance to the finals, as they will receive slightly more detailed write-ups in that post; and, as stated above, only for ones where I feel meta-commentary is useful. An XB is not an endorsement or a condemnation, simply a note.

Without further ado, let’s begin.

SVM Savoy - @abg7

This modern midsize sedan is rock-solid and surprisingly powerful, having fetching looks on top of that. It doesn’t have any flagrant deficiencies, but its fuel economy and comfort are only acceptable - while its price is steep for what it is.

Verdict: Eliminated

Super Drop Fleur Classic - @ArizonaCaseo

A classically-styled “taxi-flavored taxi”. Very large and spacious, and - thanks to a… novel turbocharged five-cylinder, pretty zippy. Unfortunately, its reliability is not on par with other fleet cars, and the advanced engine makes it hellish to service.

XB: The SDFC’s five-cylinder engine is built like an “imitation turbodiesel” - something that I asked one of the other competitors to change in their build. The reason I did not do the same for the Fleur is two-fold: for one, it is explicitly described as a gas engine, and for another, the engine was too unreliable and service cost-heavy to benefit from its faux-diesel configuration.

Caplan Cardinal - @donutsnail

An nigh unreasonably reliable, spacious American full-size. It provides very good driver and passenger comfort and an imposing image at a low purchase and maintenance price, which goes a long way to help operators overlook its barely-acceptable dynamics and unacceptable thirst.

Verdict: Advances to Finals

Mara Kavaler - @AndiD

A bargain price, a heart of oak and an iron will make the Kavaler the obvious favorite for miserly operators. It squanders these boons by being an outdated, misshapen, lethargic communist hulk unfit for civilized society.

XB: For a time after it was submitted, the Kavaler was set to have a perfect score in both the three-star priorities - but after two entries crossed the 90-point line in reliability, it was not quite as dominant. An abysmal performance in the 1-star priorities as well as classic AndiD design sunk it the rest of the way to not even make the finals cut.

Primus Astrona - @Happyhungryhippo

Like the Mara, the Primus is a winning offering with a fatal flaw - it’s amazing from the perspective of economy and maneuverability, but it’s also the size of a Die Hard villain’s shoe. In other aspects, it is unremarkable.

Hemsley Meteor - @xsneakyxsimx

Let’s be honest, most people flat out wouldn’t get into this rickety, misshapen, tubby, slow-ass rear-engined car if it came to pick them up. Now, it is very cheap to buy and own, seats six and is easy to drive - so it has its pros. They just can’t surpass the image problem.

XB: It occurred to me that the review came across as too harsh at the start, but it’s not telling lies. This, the only rear-engined entry and one of just two six-seaters, is very slow and has by far the lowest prestige score in the competition. The low design score was mostly an unfortunate body/morph choice; it really is difficult to get over the steep angles of the hood (really the frunk) and trunk (actually the hood).

Zephorus 305 - @Riley

One of a couple fleet cars offered by luxury manufacturers. Comfortable and easy to drive, it’s nonetheless nigh prohibitively expensive, thirsty and vulgar-looking - and also on the smaller side with crappy brakes to boot. The fashionable V8 does not save it.

EMW Apparatschik - @HermannMatern

This big front-driver is economical, imposing and easy to service. On the other hand, the brakes are atrocious, the ride is bone-shattering, the price is too much… And Jesus Christ almighty, this is a 3200-pound car with manual rack and pinion steering.

XB: I tended to critique and mull over specific engineering choices less in this competition than in lengthier ones - and I didn’t penalize any of them on points. However, if there was anything I found /really/ questionable in this field of contenders, it’s the choice of a manual rack in this heavy full-size sedan - as opposed to at the very least a ball steering box.

IP Icarus - @Knugcab

A machine-washed and modernized take on the Caplan Cardinal. Trading raw haft for some sophistication, this is still a credibly spacious midsize, and is refreshingly cheap to buy and service, comfortable, and reliable. It’s also actually decent to handle, if a bit slow.

Hamfa 3000 - @Ch_Flash

The 3000 is an old but well-liked design, excelling in space, grace and swank. The price is reasonable, as well; unfortunately, though, it’s a pretty needy car compared to the competition as well as positively anemic - second-worst in this regard.

Halvson G0F Harrier - @lotto77

Here’s a real stylish cab, futuristic in just that right municipal way. You can’t help but dig its look, and it’s comfortable. Sadly, the massive blue stick of cast-iron the Halvson has for an engine drags it down somewhat - both dynamically and economically. And it isn’t cheap.

Salon Touring - @Mad_Cat

This Salon offering is masterful in its comfort per buck, and drives well, too - as long as you don’t have to get anywhere anytime soon. While a presentable car visually, the Touring - whether in civilian or taxi use - is worth precisely what you pay for it, and no more.

Tarquini Voglia - @Danicoptero

Five figures seems to be the line where “real cars” begin. The third cheapest choice at AM$10,000, the Tarquini is also reliable, efficient and performs all other functions very decently: You wouldn’t even be jeered at for driving or riding in one. Basically the Mara but better.

Enso Presto - @Yakiniku260

The Presto is very cheap to own and very easy to drive, not to mention extremely if not excessively spry. It’s also cheap-feeling, has a very poor implementation of futuristic design, and is absolutely, prohibitively tiny as a taxi.

XB: Apart from quite simply missing the brief in terms of size, this car has a very… un-1980s front-end design. And it’s not even a preset: The lights are built using modular fixtures, they’re just not era-correct. Remember: When you are designing a car, always try and make sure it could exist in the era that it’s built for.

Viverna Nostrum - @Ludvig

A left-field pioneer, this. The CVT-equipped Nostrum ties the Presto for the lead at economy and beats it dynamically while being on a different plane entirely of size and comfort. It’s also easy to drive and service. This offering is pretty expensive, but perhaps it’s worth it.

Moretti 186 - @RAZR

The muscular and luxurious Moretti 186 is a worthy sports saloon, not putting a foot wrong as a driver’s car. But the value of such a car - a compact sedan with a big six-banger - is questionable even before you find out about the extortionate price and, uh, Italian reliability.

Bushido Regent - @GetWrekt01

Another higher-performance, nimble taxi meant for the streets of Tokyo. It’s not as comfortable or well-handling as some other contenders, but its great looks and speed in combination with high reliability and good economy mean it wins out on allure as well as on sensibility.

DCMW Marqaba - @moroza

A fleet vehicle built by Dalluha’s royal suppliers, this cab benefits from technological unification with proper luxury cars. It’s a bit hard to drive, and isn’t the biggest looker - but its dependability and absurdly high-for-size fuel economy command one’s respect regardless.

Leclerc 44 Fleetmaster - @TheYugo45GV

If the Marqaba is hard-ish to drive, though, the Leclerc cab is a bucking bronco. Couple that with its other sin - that is, housing an overpowered, overthirsty, overcomplex engine that the transmission doesn’t talk to - and you get a car for maniacs. Size can’t save this one.

To recap, the following users’ submissions advance to the finals:

@Danicoptero
@donutsnail
@GetWrekt01
@Knugcab
@Ludvig
@moroza

And holler at me if I somehow missed ya.

15 Likes

Treated steel is just too expensive and advanced for 1986 - with a +8 chassis techpool setting, it costs a whopping $3600, and besides, the fact that environmental resistance is not a judging criterion at all in this QFC makes it pointless to use. That explains why my entry was cut early on.

I was honestly expecting my car to make it to the finals, but in hindsight my bargain bin premium approach with a medieval engine might not have been ideal for this challenge, despite being in line with Salon lore.

Great reviews from our host, and I wish luck for the contenders that made it to the finals!