QFC37 - Checkered Carriage [FINALS RELEASED]

QFC37 - Checkered Carriage

The year is 1986. The setting… Well, let’s just call it “The Developed World”. Many people drive and many others use public transport - but if you want to get somewhere in a hurry and aren’t next to your car or a bus stop, you hail a cab. A big sedan appears, and a grizzled professional throws your things in the trunk and holds your door. He then proceeds to use the only computer available to him - his brain, so focused on its job that it’s notably different from a normal human’s one - to figure out the best way to get you to your destination.

You are now tasked with supplying the kind of vehicle that a professional cab driver would use in places like Germany, Japan, and the US. In this case, we are not looking for a hyper-practical dedicated vehicle like a London Taxicab - instead, it is to be a regular sedan with a fleet package. It needs to be dignified, spacious, and dependable. Good luck.

RULES

Car Model Year: 1975+.

Car Trim and Engine Variant Year: 1986.

Body Type: Sedan; Coupes with 4 doors are also allowed.

Door Count: 4 doors.

Seat Count: 5 or 6 full seats.

Engine Placement: Mid-Engine forbidden.

Safety: Standard 80s or better.

Fuel Type: Regular or Premium unleaded. The latter will incur a small penalty.

Emissions Standard: WES 6 or higher.

No Racing Parts.

Approximate Cost: $16,000

Techpool: $45M (Your value is the sum of the 2 underscored values below; keep that below $45M)

Negative techpool values are prohibited.

Style Guide:
Make sure your car has lights (headlights, taillights, turn signals), wipers, side mirrors - you know, make sure it looks like a car that could exist.
You are not required to hook up every light properly with automation’s lighting feature.
A center-mounted third brake light will not be required.
Do not make the car look like something it isn’t, either via fixtures or advanced trim settings. If you lose the roof, use ATS to raise the suspension by 10 whole inches, or somehow manage to have your car only have 2 visible doors - you’re out.
You may or may not make a taxi livery or an interior, but extra points will not be assigned for either.

PRIORITIES

:star::star::star:

Reliability

Breakdowns when on duty are unacceptable, and tarnish the operator's reputation. Reliability is thus paramount.
Purchase Price

One car is expensive. Many cars for a fleet, more so. An operator won’t spring for a more expensive car than they need to, unless it proves to be manifestly better.

:star::star:
Capacity

Taxi customers don’t care that much about gizmos and niceties of the cab - but if they or their luggage have to squeeze to get into one, that’s a problem. The passenger compartment and trunk need to have a good size to them.
(This is not a game stat, and will be evaluated using the dimensions the game gives me, as well as visually).

Running Costs

Like with the purchase cost of a fleet car, a cab that’s thirsty or repair-intensive is hard on a taxi company’s bottom line. Keep the expenses low, and the profits high.

Looks and Prestige

A cab that at least looks like a million dollars helps the perception that it is a dependable and dignified machine that will get you to where you need to go.

:star:
Drivability

Taxi drivers tend to be skilled at their craft, but a taxi cab still needs to be easy enough to drive so as to not hurt the credibility of the experience from the passenger’s POV. Would you board a taxi if your last ride had you carsick from sliding around?

Performance

A taxicab driver will often perform maneuvers to avoid getting stuck behind lights, slow drivers, etc. The car doesn’t have to be fast (and I will explicitly not award any points for a 5-second 0-60 run or something like that) but it has to move somewhat well and hold the road, too.

Comfort

While not as important as just being spacious, a taxi will have a somewhat better reputation if it’s nice - and employee retention will also be improved if they don’t have to sit on scalding vinyl all day.

SUBMISSIONS AND DEADLINES

Submissions Open: 12/17/2023 11:59 PM CST

Submissions Close: 12/26/2023 2:00 PM CST

Extensions: There will be a single (maximum 36-hour) extension in case a patch drops on December 23 or 24.

Name Convention: QFC37 - [yourname] as the Engine Family and Car Model name.
Engine Variant and Car Trim are free.

Submission Method: DM your .car file to me on this forum; Make a reply on this forum post with at least one picture of the car.

Resubmissions: Unlimited until the deadline, provided the same DM thread is used.

13 Likes

I see no mentioning of fuel type here, am I blind or did you forget?

1 Like

I forgot lol. Will fix now

I advise ignoring the game’s volume stats altogether. FC1 showed me how useless they are.

Must be sedan? Lots of wagons, hatchbacks, and vans doing taxi duty out there.

Fun fact: the brains of career cab drivers are measurably different from the norm.

Note that cabs with manual transmissions are reasonably common to this day, let alone in 1986.

My single favorite job was weekend night shifts as a cab driver in the dead of winter. I came to respect the 2G Prius and loathe Crown Vics.

Comfort should be significantly higher-priority than looks.

I am ignoring game-supplied volume; by dimensions I mean the wheelbase, length and footprint.

I am asking for a baseline, stereotypical cab, which would be a sedan. I am aware that literally every sort of vehicle does taxi duty, with the Beetle basically only being produced at one point because Central American people loved buying them for cheap as taxis. Not the point here.

Yep, manuals were common (and still are in, let’s say, the Balkans) and are allowed in this case.

Comfort is low on the totem pole because I wanted to emphasize the size aspect of comfort, and that kind of takes its spot here.

I really like the “somewhere in the civilized world” philosophy, good for QFC. I know Moroza kind of already asked this but what is your position on liftbacks? How about 4-door bodies the game classifies as coupes?

Good question. Allowing liftbacks wouldn’t hurt because I’m not evaluating “game value practicality”, but I’m leaning towards no. Again, looking for a baseline taxi in this case.

4-door coupes I will look at and get back to you on. The coupe body style in the game does give you a default drag advantage, but I don’t know how significant it is.

A 3-way catalytic converter would be helpful in reaching this target, but in real life, not all markets had explicitly mandated its use by 1986.

But should there be upper and lower wheelbase limits, and so, how much? Especially since the cars listed as inspirations were all quite large, so a 2.8m upper limit and a 2.6m lower limit should be reasonable.

No

8 Likes

SUBMISSIONS OPEN

Welp, you got a week. I will allow 4-door coupe bodies, and will update the OP accordingly.

'86 SVM Savoy 3.0 Fleet Pack

The no-frills, fleet-spec version of our large sedan, starting from $14k AMU.

5 Likes

What I am working on for this challenge…

…I hate it.

5 Likes

1986 Super Drop Fleur Classic

*as seen in the cult classic anime musical film Interstella 5555: The 5tory of the 5ecret 5tar 5ystem

9 Likes

Zephorus 305 but shitbox spec. It still has a V8

Poster

6 Likes

1986 Hamfa 3000 mk IV Taxi

I had this taxi from 1965 made before so I’m imagining this is what can happen if a car model from 1965 survives and evolves for twenty years, to 1985.

Gallery

16 Likes

Budget Tatra? Me likey…

2 Likes

Guess I better officially make an entry. So here ya go, ya filthy animals.

2 Likes

1986 Mara Kavaler 2.5 SF

If we are ready to take the term ‘developed world’ loosely…

4 Likes

1986 Primus Astrona 230D GL Taxi

Do you hear the clatter of a Primus Diesel? rrrRRRRrrrrrRRRRRrrrrrrRRRRRRrrrrrrRRRRR
An Astrona Diesel stands for reliability, low consumption and industry-leading interiors for a competetive price. With last year´s fourth generation, efficient aerodynamics, less emissions and a new engine will make you forget Diesel prejudgements.

PRIMUS. Die erste Wahl.

3 Likes

Enso Presto (Taxicab Edition)

Acheiving a harmony between economical business decisions and stylistic elegance has always been a standout feature of the Enso Presto, and is more prominent than ever in the all new 1986 Enso Presto.

6 Likes