QFC46 - A Most Luxurious Ride [DONE, reviews out]

Automation is infamous for sometimes labeling bodies wrong; that entry does appear to be a 3-box, 5-door fastback design with no particular offroading features or pretensions.

The rules do ask for “sedan bodies,” which does suggest it’s based on Automation’s label, so the host’s rule was clear enough; but I sympathize with @thpethalk’s confusion since what they sent was, objectively, a sedan.

2 Likes

This body is based on the Skoda Karoq, a crossover… this one sized up to a 3 meter wheelbase. So it’s huge but with entirely wrong proportions for it to be even visually considered a sedan.

If I had to guess, this car is probably rocking at least 23" wheels with huge tyres, for them to look that big relative to the body. In what world would a sedan look like that and have those features :skull_and_crossbones:

This is just a bad choice

6 Likes

Yeah we’re getting into “featherless biped” territory in regards to what is or isn’t a sedan, but both IRL and in Automation that would be considered an SUV, IRL maybe a crossover or a coupé SUV.

3 Likes

Reviews

Morimasa Descendant
@MrCheez

Weirdly proportioned front and back graphics, everything seems quite big and the taillights stretch way too much to the side. Still, it doesn’t necessarilly look awful, with good use of body molding fixtures to create character lines. The interior is incredible, with great design and attention to detail. Scores very well in drivability, with decent comfort and reliability bolstering its score. It is also the most practical car here. The light truck monocoque chassis is a strange choice and not really fitting of a luxury sedan, which likely affected all other stats negatively.

Illuminare Prime
@supersaturn77 @moroza

The design is pretty strange, with elongated overhangs, a panel between the doors which doesn’t really fit the brief, the taillights seem tacked on and the exhaust is too aggressive, it’s not low effort but is weird looking. Gearing is too long and spaced out, reaching top speed in 5th gear. The huge brake discs with single-piston calipers is a strange choice. Otherwise, it scores well, making up its lacklustre drivability with excellent comfort, prestige, safety and reliability. The engine is somewhat small and the turbos spool somewhat late, though not awfully so.

Fletcher Ravena TT Edition
@zeromight

A bit older looking, like a Lincoln, not impressive but looks nice. Interior is incredibly well-done and detailed. Top speed severely limited, again two gears below top gear. A magnesium block V10 with late-spooling turbos is strange choice in a luxury car. Another strange choice is the spaceframe chassis, which likely lead to the fact that drivability is very low and comfort is not impressive. It’s also the least reliable of the entries. Its shortcomings put it next-to-last.

Authie & Dallier 8/30 Q.P.
@Knugcab

From the A-pillar back, it is a great looking sedan, with incredible fixture work in the C-pillar and the rear haunches. On the other hand, the front end is somewhat strange-looking, almost like a pig’s nose. It is also stubby when compared to most other entries, with the wheelbase on the shorter end of the spectrum. The small, turbo V8 is an interesting decision in this segment, with late-spooling turbos and quite a bit of power stress, which hurts its reliability. It doesn’t score particularly well in any category, a lot was left on the table, especially seeing how the budget is maxed-out.

Wolfe Regalia V12 75th Coach Edition
@karhgath

Another design that is not quite up to snuff, the front end looks good and fits the era, same for the side, which is quite aesthetically pleasing until it gets to the D-pillar quarter window, which is way too straight and angular when compared to the rest of the window line. Likewise, the use of single-axis patchwork lends to the weirdness in that area. Finally, the rear end is way too long and the taillights are quite large and blocky. The large-profile sidewalls make it look almost like an armoured version of the car. Conversely, the interior is one of the best here, with realistic design and great attention to detail. As far as the engine goes, it’s smooth and decently quiet, though the turbos spool way too late and the hight-flow cat hinders quietness. The rest of the car is good, utilising its budget to score well in most categories, only floundering somewhat in the drivability aspect.

Cavaliere Nobile Superiore V10SC
@Happyhungryhippo

Another stubby car, with bulbous styling and retro touches, which don’t quite mesh together that well. The rear doors are extremely short, the door handles are too big and it almost looks like it has no taillights. The bonnet scoop is just tacked on and the rest of the front end looks like it was just lifted from an old car. I have to give props for the interior, which is well detailed and nice looking, though the angle of the gauge display doesn’t seem practical. The massive, N/A V10 with 800 hp, relatively stiff suspension and the 403 km/h top speed make this car somewhat miss the brief, with unimpressive stats all-around besides drivability, which no doubt is helped by the sporty tuning. A bigger focus on smoothness and comfort would have made this score better.

Centurian Sultana Five-7 (SWB)
@GAlexZilla

This is my favourite design in this competition, with great proportions almost everywhere (I think the rear is a bit long but it doesn’t really look bad and meshes well with everything else), great use of fixtures for body molding and graphical elements Everything is very detailed and it all blends together into an incredible design. The chunky tyres also give it some of that armoured limo vibe, but no doubt contribute to its comfort. The interior is the best here, with incredible attention to detail, great custom materials and great consistency with the exterior design. Though its pretty middle of the pack in drivability and is not quite reliable, it scores very well in the other high-priority stats, as well as safety. For some reason the rear dampers are considerably stiffer than the front, giving it a weird suspension testing graph, which would cause some queasiness IRL but ultimately doesn’t have much negative effect on stats. The carbon fibre chassis is a bit unrealistic, but it works to give it its great stats. The engine is very powerful and is quite smooth, but the journal bearing turbos mean it doesn’t really spool until 4400 RPM, which wouldn’t be acceptable at this point in time and makes the powerband somewhat unusable. Ultimately, even with its few shortcomings, it ends up with the highest score.

Accurate LX600
@fabiremi999

This entry presents a simple, fixture-light design, which works really well and is easy on the eyes, especially in that green on green colour scheme. There’s nothing wrong with it, but its simplicity in comparison to some of the other designs keeps it from scoring higher in this regard. Mechanically, it offers decent stats all around, except for practicality, where it is the lowest-scoring car. Its prestige, however, is second to best. The engine is smooth and offers a nice powerband with turbos that spool pretty low in the RPM range.

Mills Tauraco S
@ErenWithPizza

An incredible showing in the design department, with English-inspired retro elements implemented very well in a modern, flowing body. The grille inserts and blingy trim denote its position as a high-class vehicle without looking tacky or tasteless. This car is the second V8 of the competition, another small displacement, turbocharged unit. Its powerband is nice and flat, also spooling quickly, and its smoothness is commendable. There is a bit of engine knocking stress but not enough to have negative effects on engine reliability. It doesn’t score particularly high anywhere, though it has great drivability and safety, as well as decent comfort. Otherwise, its pretty middle of the pack.

Triton 600LX
@Elouda

Generic, vanilla fixture soup, where there are no body lines, nothing meshes together or is placed where you’d expect and certainly doesn’t look from the era it’s meant to be. The engine is an all-iron, N/A V12 with tubular headers and ITBs, with good smoothness and an extremely responsive throttle. The body and chassis are all carbon fibre, which doesn’t really fit a luxury sedan, but gives it the highest prestige score. Comfort is decent but elsewhere it’s unimpressive.

Allure GS500
@DuceTheTruth100

While this design isn’t necessarily ugly, some elements keep it from looking great, like the mustache on the numberplate holder. It’s also somewhat bare, with a short rear door, tiny door handles and a vent slapped on the doors. The mirrors also don’t fit the design, not to mention the fact that they clip with the windows. Another smooth N/A V12, though with a more realistic aluminium construction and intake setup. Its drivability is hindered by a very oversteery demeanour, with terminal oversteer at high speeds due to the lack of aero devices. The suspension is on the stiffer side, which lowers its comfort score but doesn’t quite work to improve its drivability.

VOLARO Verleden VLS V12 7.0
@DoesStuff

A well detailed, high effort design, with great use of body molding and 3D fixtures to create bodylines and a portruding grille. It’s classy, era-appropriate and very consistent. Its engine is on the larger, heavier side, with a 7 litre N/A V12 with an iron block. Its heavy but its smooth and has good engine reliability. Sadly, the choice of a luxury interior rather than handmade hinders its comfort score. Even though it excels in drivability, its not quite great everywhere else.

TBC The Superlative
@Ananas

All of the front and rear fixtures are placed way below the beltline, nothing really flows or has any consistency. It all just seems a bit slapped together. Another cast iron V12, this time with a quad-turbo setup, which spools way too late to be usable, powers this car. While it has decent prestige and safety, the rest of the stats leave a lot to be desired, especially comfort, which is low even with a handmade interior due to its strange powertrain, with helical differentials, a front biased AWD system and a dual-clutch transmission. It also, for some reason, has an off-road skidtray underbody.

@insertcleverbshere

The design is extremely simple and some of the morphs are strange, like the Panamera-looking roofline or the A-pillar area which seems to sink down. The fixture work is extremely simple and doesn’t flow in any way and the rear area doesn’t fit with the shape of the body at all. The engine is a decently tuned turbo V8, with turbos that don’t spool too late but still a lacklustre powerband. The choice of materials there is strange, with a billet block and crank that aren’t realistic for the segment. It has the lowest scores everywhere except for reliability and practicality, which by a stroke of luck manages to be the second highest. A semi-spaceframe construction and rear pushrod suspension miss the mark completely, as does the viscous AWD system and the non-advanced automatic gearbox, not to mention the recirculating ball steering with hydraulic assistance, which is as unrealistic a choice as you can make in this regard. An invisible aero fixture would also constitute a bin in most competitions.

Ryusei GK660
@vero94773

While it looks a bit newer than 2015 in my opinion, it is an incredibly well done design, with impressive fixture work, creating new bodylines that all flow together quite nicely. The grille is a bit on the larger side, but otherwise the front and rear areas are very nice looking and work well with the body shape. I will say, the colour choice makes it hard to see al that body molding work, even if it does fit the luxury car vibe. Mechanically, it has the best drivability here, though it comes at the expense of comfort, which isn’t great. Top speed is reached two gears below the highest. Engineering choices are realistic and era-appropriate and it all works together decently well, with good but not great scores in other categories, except for reliability, where it is second to the top. The engine is a powerful, smooth and reliable twin-turbo V12, with a quick spool and a very usable powerband.

Rankings

1.- @GAlexZilla :crown:
2.- @supersaturn77 @moroza
3.- @karhgath
4.- @vero94773
5.- @ErenWithPizza
6.- @MrCheez
7.- @fabiremi999
8.- @Elouda
9.- @Ananas
10.- @DoesStuff
11.- @DuceTheTruth100
12.- @Happyhungryhippo
13.- @Knugcab
14.- @zeromight
15.- @insertcleverbshere

Here’s the spreadsheet I used, thanks to @Riley for the template

Thanks to everyone for participating and congratulations to the winner! A lot of great designs here, so props to everybody, it was a great round! There were a lot of entries and I’m pressed for time so I apologise for the uninspired photos.

15 Likes

Damn, I knew I should have gone for the TT V12. It had better stats all around, but I figured the V8 was more appropriate given the budget. Anyway this is probably my best build so far

2 Likes

What a turnout! Some real lookers in the mix, makes me wish there’d been just a little more time to refine the Illuminare…

Big congrats to @GAlexZilla !!

5 Likes
Thank you very very much to the-chowi for coming up with the challenge and hosting!
Without them and this challenge, the pride and joy of our country, the successor of our halo flagship, might stay pre-Ellisbury, untouched until god knows when.

Uh oh… that was unexpected. Not gonna lie I thought someone was going to out-engineer me as that was far from my strong suit as evident from the somewhat questionable engineering choices that were made. Not to mention the lack of window buttons and the unfinished glovebox cutlines amongst other things :sweat_smile:

9 Likes

Damn, just made some bad decisions which really held me back. Just glad to finally have an entry make it through a challenge lol. Also glad the interior work got noticed, thats def what took the majority of the time.

2 Likes

Oh hush. Your win is deserved.

Re: panel

Re:gearing

Overdrive, folks. Relaxed rpm = relaxing ride.

I appreciate interiors noticed, ironically as this was one of my few without one.

8 Likes

I gotta check the moustache thing most definitely.

The vent slapped on the side, I put it on as body molding.

My door handles are always on the small side, I have no idea why. I guess I should just increase the size at least 25% from when I deem them ok.

I questioned those mirrors as well!!, but ultimately gave the ok.

I appreciate your feedback, and definitely take what you said into account.

2 Likes

Usually found on severly lengthened versions, almost a limo, rather than just a lwb sedan.

I’m aware, it just looks a bit on the “extreme” side, however that affects your build is reflected only in the scores.

Still, you did very well.

1 Like

Are you taking up hosting of round 47? :slight_smile:

Most likely yes.

4 Likes
Here's the Poll based on interest in doing them (In decreasing order except suggestions)

The Ideas so far:
  • 2020’s (2022-2024) Sports Estate/wagon
  • 70’s Early Super-Car
  • (Wild Card) 2000s Mini/Compact MPV
  • Others (Reply for suggestions welcome)
0 voters
Additional options further below! (sorry cant edit poll after 5 mins of posting)
1 Like

How about sport wagons, but an older era than what we just did?

*Ill reply here too in case anyone wants to know without digging through discord.

I have a slightly hard time finding inspiration for them.

Mitsubishi Evo Wagon (Stagea) / Impreza Wagon
slightly older Volvo 850 stretching the era

then there’s the wood panel Buick Sport wagon or the Plymouth Sport Suburban
which is the late 60s early 70s quite bordering JOC6B territory. By JOC6B brief the sport wagon is a viable submission option as it melds both the lore characters demands of a sporty and practical family car.

An additional option!
  • 1990’s (maybe early maybe late) Sports/Atleast fast Wagons/Estate
0 voters

5 Likes

I would be happy with the wagons being a slightly older era, like 2018-2020, but it probably doesn’t make much of a difference and just restricts creativity…

I think it might also be worth looking at availability of bodies for various eras, which could be a problem for some of them.

The reason for the higher years is for design and looks, sure it’s not that different but I feel people could go more creative with the LED and aggressiveness. 2018 shouldn’t be that far off, just fewer LEDs perhaps, but body shapes are far from different. Also the trickier modern front fascias are works i’d like to see from the community, as those are highly impressive when done right.

I’ve checked the bodies and there’s a good amount of choice all the way to 1997. Though the 1997-1995 wagons are a little dated in looks, modern front and rears should hide that really well, or its easily swapped for a another wagon body. 1994 is where its clearly a 90s wagon. but hey maybe a retro styling modernization could pull it off real well.

1 Like