QFC47 - Fast 4the Family (Submissions Closed)

A specialty sultan wagon isn’t necessarily a bad brief even, it’s unique and interesting. But it isn’t this brief.

5 Likes

I was excited to see some Japanese-esque sports wagons at first… not really sure what this challenge is ngl

4 Likes

We’re waiting to hear from @GAlexZilla at this point. The expected performance and price levels are their call, not mine.

As for expected price/performance level, we need Alex’ input. We both agreed on “high end” at first, and I’m not sure how far we’ve shifted from that. I had in mind Alpina Biturbo and Brabus-level things, not quite blank-check-from-the-sultan like that Ferrari, but with E55 AMG and RS4 in the middle or even back of this pack. V16 would be a minor stretch.

I know that QFC isn’t for realism and is meant to be simplified a bit, but… the inspirations list (sporty wagon), budget (supercar/limited edition superwagons), and lore (from a 300ZX, singapore, engine size & cylinder tax?, young couple?) don’t really make sense if a "V16 is a minor stretch and you’re asking for a couple of V12s and a V16 in the running…

I believe that, lore-wise, the couple would probably like a turbo inline-4, a simple inline-6, or maybe at the very extreme at most, a V8.

5 Likes

did you guys not communicate :joy:

8 Likes

So sending the cars to moroza is just a precaution for the V16 DLC that I do not have and did not ban. We plan on reviewing each entrant together (so yes I will also review them).

First of all, thank you very much on the feedback! That definitely sheds more light and gave me more perspective on things.
From what I can gather so far:
  • Yes the price will be lowered.
    As of writing this the considered price change is to 37,000/41,000. Leaning on the lower end of that, though I’m slightly concerned I’m unintentionally cutting off the premium options with it.

For clarification the mules I built went all out and came about the 70-75,000 range. From there I thought decreasing the price to 58-55,000 should cut some options off the table and give people choices. Clearly now, that was not the best way to go and I have much to learn on setting prices.

The E55 was meant to be the peak of what was achievable with the pricing, its quite more powerful than the 270-290hp avg of the bunch and no less comfortable maybe even more comfortable than some of the other inspirations. Hoping it would be balanced by the high general cost to own.(fuel eco, svc, reliability, and outright price)

• Techpool.
    From what I can gather, techpool is recommended default, or at most fixed to keep the simplicity. I can’t say I know what or how to decide on a full custom techpool, so as of now it will be changed to default +5 on everything EXCEPT body being +7 for more variety and body choices without being far too futuristic.

• Diesels.
    I agree on capping off more complexity and twists from this challenge, especially being QFC, therefore diesels will not be included.

• V16s.
    That’s a good point, V12s aren’t too realistic in this scenario let alone a V16. That somehow flew past my head. I just didn’t see the need to close those options outright given its risks. Thought a madlad could but that wouldn’t go far I reckon. Anyways, if y’all want that option to be fully removed, I am very well open to it. (in that case submissions could go back to me, and serve as more valuable learning experience)

• Brief
    I feel I could have written the brief’s line of thought better, seeing the confusion. Basically; “Need bigger car” “SUV!” “Can’t afford 2 cars. Still want sports!” “sedan?” “Bigger than sedan!” “…ESTATE!” “ESTATE!

That should be all the concerns so far, hoped I didn't miss any, I have just woken up after passing out shortly after posting this thread.
10 Likes

I do have one quick question: is the a minimum/maximum wheelbase rule?

1 Like

Thanks for reminding! That’s a good one. How does 3.0m sound? Rounding based off the automation numbers. Basically whatever you see 3.0 in the body selection

I’m very happy with those changes. This is looking to be a good round

1 Like

A minimum wheelbase of ~2.6m or so would also be reasonable.

1 Like

Done and done

2 Likes

I’ll participate in this challenge for sure, since I like station wagons, but I’ve never really made one. And the funny thing about it is that the day that shows in the image (November 30, 1998) is just two days before I was born. But anyway, I’ll try my best to make a station wagon, even if I have to work with its interior, because every submission I make must have interiors, because I upload cars to BeamNG. But if I see that I can’t finish it in time, I’ll probably only make the most essential interior (darker glass, seats, dashboard, steering wheel).

3 Likes

shouldn´t that be family and variant year?
In that case, my 1994 model… will sadly be out of the competition.

Facelift would be in 1999, so… lore wise I have to use the early model of it.

4 Likes

Changed it. I was confused for a second there. I copied and pasted the wrong thing on the body and engine requirements.

Basically for all intents and purposes yeah whatever was being produced in nov 1998 is fine. Not so sure about technology but design wise, its a month till 1999, and the Auto Show was meant to show off new cars while selling current and near future so you can stretch the design a little too.

One additional thought: since you are judging corner Gs - do you want to limit aero? (e.g., to negative values or max fixtures front/rear?)

4 Likes

hear me out for a loop whole. Most manufacturer release the next year cars in November or December of the previous year.
So a 99 model being released in November of 98 wouldn’t be unheard of.
Example: 1992 Buick roadmasters had several hundred cars made and sold late 1991 as 1992 models, as reflected by the door stamps.

1999 Primus Merit X280TA

For 1999, Primus completely overhauls the best-seller Merit, one of the most competetive midsize cars on the market. Sporty, yet elegant design, comfortable, high quality interior and as safe as a car can be.
The Merit X280 combines a potent and responsive six-cylinder engine with an AWD system, guaranteeing you safe and fun handling under any circumstances. The Avance trim adds impressive alloy wheels and a sportier design. This car here is one of the very first 1999 models, and it has full options except for the SatNav, that is displayed as well, in case you want to order a Merit with the state-of-the art OIC-N Professional system.

The OIC-N Professional will be available starting from 03/1999.

9 Likes

Great point… uhh shoot, its submissions open date, I just landed on the other side of the planet… not the best circumstance. Ill make the final changes and open the subs.

1 Like

Knightwick K6 Turbo-R