Quick-Fire Challenge

I’m not going to speak to any specific entry, but I do want to note that rapid iteration and improvement of design skills is part of the aim of this challenge - both stuff from me and from others. Feel free to share your .car if you want more than 140 characters of constructive criticism.

4 Likes

We all started at zero with this game, I try to keep that in mind as I see things go.

2 Likes

Exactly. My initial reaction to it was one of revulsion.

Be nice @abg :wink:

3 Likes

1996 Pocono Sport Spider

The best solution is the lightness.

Because light is fun to drive.

9 Likes

And your cars always make you yawn with boredom. Interestingly, are you specially trying to create something boring? Just looking at your view you doesn’t feel that it’s sporty car. Besides, I still have not understood, which car of your inexpressive lineup went to competition - the most advanced, with weight of 1135 kg, or a standard one? After all, there’s nothing info on your creation.

On the contrary. I explicitly designed the Shadowcrow line to have simple, clean yet attractive (and definitely not inexpressive) styling.

Not the most extreme trim - but the next fastest one:

That’s the trim I submitted - and it weighs 1195 kg. That makes it the second-heaviest trim of all, but it’s still light in absolute terms.

Here’s the entire Shadowcrow line-up:

Top left: 3.0 (blue, 240bhp 3.0L I6, 1195kg, submitted trim). Top right: 3.0 Lightweight (yellow, 280bhp 3.0L I6, 1135kg). Center: 3.0 Touring (red, same engine as 3.0, but with premium interior and CD player, weight increased to 1210kg). Bottom left: 2.8 (purple, 200bhp 3.0L I6, 1175kg). Bottom right: 2.5 (green, 170bhp 2.5L I6, 1160kg). So there’s something for everyone - it comes in many different flavors, from budget-friendly sportster to comfortable freeway cruiser and hardcore trackday warrior, as well as everything in between.

1 Like

Can we please 1) stay on topic and 2) be civil toward each other please?

Reminder that constructive criticism is always very welcome, but rude and condescending comments are not. Constructive criticism consists of politely pointing out something specific that could be improved on, and making suggestions on how to improve it.

“This is revolting” or “This makes me yawn with boredom” are both examples of unhelpful and rude comments.

Try instead something constructive like “Kalan, next time perhaps try a colour scheme that is less brash and harmonious; the bright gold and blue exterior and red gold interior, the purple mirrors are just too much for the eye. How about sticking either to one flashy colour for the whole car, or doing a bi-colour with less bright colours (e.g. gold and black)?” Or “abg7, I find your car a little bland for a spirited sports car; especially the side profile looks empty. Perhaps a crease or leading line along the sides would spice it up a little.”

8 Likes

Thanks.

As for the Touring trim of the Shadowcrow, the only reason I didn’t submit it was that I didn’t consider its improved comfort to be worth the extra outlay (and weight gain)- after all, in this first round, comfort is a minor priority compared to price and weight (and especially sportiness and drivability).

1 Like

Also, lesson learned here, it’s best to keep the color match when using and mix-matching between fixtures and 3d parts, because the merge points are always jaggy. Using the same color makes this less obvious. I would love to have a “smoothing” tool some day.

Edit - @kalan the Shadowcrow is in the data sheet so if you want to DM me yours you can do a “by the numbers” direct comparison. This is why I’m doing that project - so we can tell from a numbers standpoint how our creations differ.

PRESENTING:

1995 AERO KEAI

Version 2.1

A kei sports car that was originally designed for a previous challenge, but which failed to actually make it to the competition for reasons. It hasn't given up on trying to compete, though! This version, with an engine detuned to 91 RON (while retaining the 63hp figure), is trying again to have an O-kei time! :D

Specs

Engine: 660cc I3 (Turbo)
Weight: 885kg - 1950lb
Transmission: 5-speed manual
Weight Distribution: 57% front - 43% rear
Fuel Economy: 7.9 l/100km - 29.7mpg

Peak Power: 63hp @ 8400 RPM
Peak Torque: 46lb/ft @ 5900 RPM
Top speed: 140kph - 87mph (limited)
0-60 - 13.0 seconds
Cornering: .958g @ 20m

[/details]

7 Likes

The 1998 BMA Compaq 286:

• 2.8L V6, FWD
  • 236hp @ 7000RPM
  • 262Nm @5500RPM
  • 0-100kph 5.0s
  • Top Speed: 247kph
  • 7.4L/100km
    (No it’s not a 306 ^^)
8 Likes

How? With FWD? Witchcraft!

3 Likes

I know X) even that surprised me, with all the wheelspin I get !

1 Like

More like a Corrado VR6 on steroids, then? Besides, the closest real-life mechanical counterpart, the Alfa 147 GTA, wouldn’t debut until four years later.

1 Like

check the specs I put in, it looks formidable!

2000 Shirua Coupe SRi

26 Likes

Oryu Destriero Cabrio

For when you want a V8 chorus in the open air

Specs
  • 4.0L all aluminium V8 with 325bhp
  • Agile and grippy with less than 1400kg kerb weight
  • Reaches 100km/h in under five seconds
  • Soars all the way to 275 km/h
3 Likes

1996 Schnell LX50 Cabriolet

An rather interesting V8 premium convertible that does not break the bank.

The XL53’s desolate convertible replacement, except it never really replaced it, and it was the most standing-out car of the lineup. It however did share the same V8, The LX50 has became the open-top luxury cruiser to fill in the gap of the lineup. (Did first ever 3D-fixture interior on this one)

7 Likes

2000 Daniloski KimiKup

All-Alu 16 valve engine assures great progress with its 170hp from 1922cc inline 4
Powering 1220 kg never seemed so nice

Design is far from being instant hit or future classic, but offends noone and gives clear presentation of its purpose

We are of thought that no unnecessary details should be atributed to a car, and with that we excel.
Its 2+2 configuration allows you to bring some friends with you as well

Best news?
Unlikely to break your bank either: combined fuel economy is 7.7 liters per 100 km and service costs are just 921 AMU
Combine that with its 28.9k AMU price and you can marvel at its greatness.

3 Likes
12 Likes