Wronged1's former engines thread

Ferrari Dino 246 GT V6 engine recreation. (above)

1 Like

Ferrari Dino 246 Tasman racing V6 engine. (below)

Been doing research into classic F1 engines, was excited to find out Ferrari for awhile used the Dino V6 and kept reading on to find that line of engines resulted in this 4 valve per cylinder version for the Tasman series here in Down Under and so gave it a go!

1 Like

Ford Cosworth Double Four Valve (above)
and inspired by this thread: F1 engines, because why not? - #13 by AMuteCrypt
Ford Cosworth DFZ (below)

Also go to that other thread to see a TERRIBLE 1.5L V6 turbo meant to be similar to the '88 Honda

Chevrolet 350 (L48 / base Corvette spec) competitor (above)
So I only aimed for 200 hp, being led to believe it was an accurate number to go for based on this quote:

Though after rereading the same page now, it went on to mention “L82 (250 hp rated), 6.7 seconds”, so… yeah, that would suggest the factory quoted 300 hp was maybe quite accurate despite being in SAE gross, perhaps a fail on my part.

Chevrolet 302 (Z28 Camaro spec) competitor (below)

By extension, this engine is perhaps super underrated as well, though it did seem 270 hp would be about the limit I could get from this engine (by using High instead of Mid range intake and headers) without going crazy, so, I’m not sure what to make of that.

Also, check this thread for a 264 ci 151 hp engine meant to compete with the original 1955 Chevy small block: So, I think I went overboard making variants of these two engine families - #10 by Ray_V0lut10n

I decided to look more into how realistic a racier version of my 303 would be and use it as an excuse to mess with the Buick small block, after all, it’s (originally) an all Aluminum block making it perfect for a racier build!
I was able to hit around 235 hp without too much trouble, though getting so close to 250 so soon just meant
I wanted to hit that target all the more, one of the ways of archiving that was making the family bore larger,
so I decided why not? Lets just give it the max capacity of the Buick 350:

Stats of the above engine were for a quick build I just slapped together to get an idea of what year to make the family, 79.1 months after January 1955 is August 1961, engine was meant to be released in that year, so, there you have it I guess. Probably should have made it earlier, though that would have required increasing the family tech pool.

And there it is! a 250 hp engine with the bore and stroke of the Buick 215 ci, it only has quality above zero
on the values, at +5.

Probably should have had the engine running for that screenshot to show nice glowing hot header, eh?

So… yeah… 2.9% fuel efficiency, don’t feel like that’s appropriate for a road engine, even if that would suggest 325+ hp from my 303.

Though the messing around with Buick engines hardly ended there, what if Buick cut a 300 V8 in half?

Maybe something like that, who knows for sure.

A thread from 5 years ago was about someone expressing difficulty recreating the L78 396 Chevy Big Block, so I decided to give it a go myself:

I felt it necessary to use light weight forged conrods, and since that would have required more tech pool in order to still have it be engineered in time for 1965, I decided “you know what? Let’s do +8 on everything” (except family), I was able to get to 91% of the factory gross ratings, though that was largely due to using Avgas since well, 11.0:1 compression?! Seriously?! Yeah… that’s way too much lol! So what about 20% less, 8.8 compression? Well, that works, can run it on super then:
These other two versions have no extra quality, just +7 tech pool on the bottom end to unlock the rods: “Two other versions? Where’s the other?!” 11:0:1 compression running on Avgas version found here:
https://discourse.automationgame.com/t/trouble-making-chevy-bigblock-l78/23381/10

1 Like

Can we see your other charts? How do your flow utilization and fuel maps look, for instance?

The V8s from yesterday put into perspective

just how expensive the fuel system on my 303 actually was!

Also shown there are a '72 unleaded mandate 353, '75 catalytic mandated 353 and a '91 LT1 competitor.

More original design V8s

First: We have the longer stroke, detuned for better economy version of the LT1 competitor from last time.
Second: The new, all alloy larger V8 to replace the pervious ones, that’s the Camaro spec LS1 competitor.
Third: Since the second engine fails to match the first on economy, this even larger version got made!
Fourth: Corvette spec LS1 competitor, sadly doesn’t match LT1 competitor’s efficiency despite Premium 95.

I’m probably gonna redo all of these soon as it seems perhaps I should have been using reverse flow mufflers all along while all custom designed engines and most recreations so far have been baffled.

Reverse-flow mufflers are generally worth the extra expense for most applications - they provide greater noise reduction and better airflow compared to baffled ones.

1 Like

A couple of Chevy 454 recreations

First is an early 90's version with EFI, torque 100 RPM too late, otherwise matches the little on Wikipedia. (Except for apparently real thing has 2.5 inch rather than 2 inch exhausts, but, didn't want to retune lol!) Second is trying the first version after the change to SAE Net, makes well below the 468 claimed torque...

I really should start doing some non-GM engines, huh, so I’ll probably try doing the Ford GT engine (2003) and try some Barra I6s as well as their V8s to see how they compare to today’s offerings, the LS1 and 7

They share the same +8 quality family, perhaps incorrectly given LS1 is meant to be Gen III and LS7 Gen IV, otherwise LS1 is +6 quality everything else and LS7 +8. LS1 has standard mid intake and cast mid headers, LS7 has performance high intake and tubular mid headers. Torque too early by 300 on LS1 and 500 on LS7.

Another thread from a couple of years ago shared several recreations of early Ford Windsor V8’s without mufflers to try simulating SAE Gross, it’s an interesting idea, though I’m unsure if I want to try it myself, however, there was one engine I was willing to try, a racing engine he claims was drowning in myths:

He mentioned the engine’s rumored to be capable of 8000+ RPM and given it’s super short (72.9mm) stroke, that’s very plausible, though he concluded, 6300 was probably the real thing’s power peak speed and managed 6500 as his power peak speed, however, the newer game version has absolutely nuked outputs and so I needed to go up to the rumored faster speeds, BTW I used cast bottom end parts, 13 tech pool is needed to unlock lightweight forged conrods in 1954 tech year (heavy duty forged was probably enough lol) and I found that using the 13 tech pool on cast gave better results, so I did that lol!

Cleveland 351 based on the source in this thread: 351 Cleveland 2-V recreation

He wanted a 2 barrel, but his source says 4 barrel and I needed +8 quality to deal with 8.9 compression (source claimed on another follow up page), at least while using 92 RON leaded. Rest of quality is 0.

Ford GT engine and the Mustang Cobra R engine it’s based off of:

Both have +3 quality everything. Cobra R cast mid headers and standard mid intake, GT has performance intake but I can't remember if it mid or high.
1 Like

So when I said I wanted to do Barra engines, I obviously mainly meant the turbos, but, it has proven hard as they keep wanting to make way too much torque for the power and I’m wondering if that’s perhaps because they have torque limiters which as far as I can tell, would go along way in explaining the flat torque peaks and the overboast feature. So instead, two N/A Barras, them being the '08 till end petrol and '11 till end LPG:

LPG has no quality anywhere, Petrol only +2 on pistons and fuel system, both have exact same intake, header and exhaust system settings, part of which being standard and cast mid respectively.

I wonder what the downside to LPG is in this game, for I was able to get away with like a third of the fuel map (low 70s verse high 20s I think) in the LPG engine and so higher compression would have been an option, LPG is usually way cheaper at the pumps around here IRL and the servicing costs in the game aren’t higher, just straight upgrade it seems lol!

Don’t see myself returning to the turbo versions for awhile, think I’ll start doing some European engines or maybe Japanese next and for awhile onwards to balance out the American ones so far.

1 Like

So I decided to try the M3 GTR’s engine as my first European recreation, in part inspired by that car I’ve seen made to look like a certain Mustang form a certain game

Wikipedia claimed a rather high 354 lb-ft of torque and so what's what I tried first, +10 quality everything later and still only 333 archived and the cam down to just 30, this was getting ridiculous... at least I thought so, therefore I decided to check the source they linked for the road car, suspecting perhaps the 354 figure is for the race version and sure enough, source gives very different 269 lb-ft and 500 RPM earlier than Wiki does. Started from scratch giving that a go, noticed how the torque curve held fairly strong after the 306 lb-ft peak and so checked how much torque was still being made at the 7K RPM power peak, it was still more than the source claimed 269 which if I'm not mistaken makes those specs mathematically impossible lol! So... yeah... guess I need to find better sources and come back to this one. BTW, not sure when I'll next be able to upload anything again, certainly can't tomorrow but should be back by the weekend.
2 Likes

One of if not the very first(, certainly the earliest I’m aware of) fuel injected engines, the three litre six which powered the 300 SL into the record books!

Could’ve gotten away with super retarded timing, we’re talking 8, nearly all the way, though restoring it to normal seemed to boast the power in comparison to the torque just enough to archive decimal perfection.
+11 quality everything except fuel system which needed 15 tech pool to unlock this early, would have made it in an even earlier tech year if not for this last fact.

I wanted to make a three cylinder, so what better than the homologated road version of the one currently dominating the WRC? Bit of a funny story with this one, given how I’ve heard the claim Toyota kept trying to the the FIA to nerf the 2nd gen body EVOs since a certain Finn kept winning the drivers championship in the late 90’s, yet they teamed up with said Finn to develop the race counterpart to this!

Made two versions, first with standard intake and second with performance intake, performance was able to get away with one less click of boast and normal ignition timing, though both use super unleaded (which I'd like to think isn't true of the real thing) and that's despite both having 20% less compression than the real thing's 10.5:1 (8.4:1 as per the variant name, boast level also in the name) and running less boast than the "1.4-1.81 Bar" it's apparently meant to have according to the Wiki page, maybe the game's direct injection isn't direct enough, IDK. +5 quality everything.

automobile-catalog.com sadly didn’t have any specs for the M3 GTR, though I found another site claiming the same torque but only 350 hp: https://www.bmw-m.com/en/topics/magazine-article-pool/bmw-m3-gtr-strassenversion.html
Perhaps this means 350hp/269lb-ft is the brake figures and the more familiar 380 hp and therefore roughly 292 lb-ft (269x1.086) would be the net figures to aim for in game, those are at least mathematically possible, though the standard quality version was already using just 11:1 instead of apparent real 12:1 compression and so it seems somewhat unlikely it will want to make less than the 300ish lb-ft it’s already making, IDK.

I wanted to try the Carrera GT’s V10 as well and also found it made too much torque, that one I feel more confident would definitely be brake figures however given the Clarkson review back in the day, therefore, would it be best to assume 1.086 times quote ratings and so 655hp and 472lb-ft as the target numbers?

What if I used a straight six instead of a V8 and DOHC 4V? Perhaps something like this would be the result

Compared to Corvette's '95 lineup, we have 1: LT1 level long stroke with cast internal and standard intake.

2: LT4 level short stroke with cast internals and standard intake.

3: LT5 level long stroke with forged internals and performance intake, available by '91 for '92 model year.