Razyx's mods

Fine, Viper, Corvette, Mustang, take your pick. Point being, the MR-2 handles extremely well, and is extremely communicative with its suspension, but the simple fact of the matter is, stuff a big motor in to something else and all that fine-tuning doesn’t matter. A big lump of motor can make up for an astounding amount of cornering.

1 Like

Your shit point doesn’t need explaining.

1 Like

If a big lump of motor makes up for cornering then a Rolls Royce Wraith should mandhandle a Porsche 911 on the Nur.

4 Likes

You are still viewing that expression completely the wrong way.

What it means is that to make a car fast, it’s usually much easier and driveable to just dump a big engine in said car, instead of installing racing cams and reving to the moon and/or installing forced induction on a smaller engine.

Comparing an MR2 vs a super car as an example is just completely wrong.

3 Likes

Fixed stamping and little morphing issues on the Flip off-roader.

4 Likes

While I fully agree that a car set up to be a boat is likely not competitive with one set up to be a sports car, the official times for Nurburgring have the squirrelly Viper ahead of the Porsche GT2, and the very simple Corvette ZR-1 ahead of the Ferrari 488. Sadly, the Wraith isn’t listed for curiousity’s sake.

So again: Yes, worrying about the details is awesome, and something I do myself (See: Lack of power), but it’s pretty damn tough to get around a big power differential.

Then why is the BAC Mono, a 285 HP car, near the top of the top gear test track leaderboards?

And you keep seeing that expression from the wrong perspective, please read my post just before yours.

Plenty of ways to get good power w/o having to use displacement.

I think a big part of it is power-to-weight ratio.

The thing is, a big engine in a small car is going to kick the power-to-weight ratio skyward without needing to really change much. Increase power, you adjust one half of the ratio.

The other half of that is that if you design a car to be as minimalistic and stupidly light as possible, anything can make it fast, because it has the same, or greater, power-to-weight ratio as the bigger, heavier car.

Yes, it’s easier to chuck a whopping big engine into a car than it is to strip a car down to the most bare essentials, and that’s why a lot of companies do it.

As for the argument that cornering can be defeated by raw power, well, I’d like to see a top-fuel funny car lap the Nurburgring. That’d be the ultimate test of that statement.

Otherwise, I’ll stick with the basics: Raw power gives you the straightaways, but handling gives you the corners. A car that accelerates like a rocket is going to take the straightaway if it can slow down at the end. A car that sticks to the road like glue is going to take the corners. The best cars do a little of both.

5 Likes

Also, tire widths, suspension setup, brakes (:exclamation:) etc

It’s not enough to have a big engine

1 Like

If you knew half the amount of things that went into the ZR-1, you wouldn’t have called it simple. Magnetic dampers, carbon fiber components, and ceramic brakes do not make a simple car.

And the 488 makes more HP than the ZR-1. 660 plays 638. So does the Porsche GT2 over the last gen Viper ACR. 620 vs 600.

You cited the ZR-1 and Viper ACR as the cars to support your argument that power makes up for everything when you’ve pretty much picked two cars that make all of their time on setting and tires over power to weight.

6 Likes

OK, right now sharing time between the Maxi (R5) and the new thing to come.

Front engined (I’ve tried a 7.2 v12 till now) and it will be available from 2011.

17 Likes

The Renault is strong with you.

1 Like

Hehe, I cannot deny that it’s a brand that I like (that alpine will come sooner or later).
Got ‘some’ shapes from the Talisman, what can I say… :blush:

More mods from Razyx! This new sedan body reminds me of the Renault Megane Coupe. I certainly hope we can put the engine in the front.

There abg7 I’ve done your job for you!

7 Likes

Better not fuck that Alpine up or I’ll kick yo ass into Espace Avantime where you can enjoy that Scènic view of Alaskan.

4 Likes

That post made me feel twizy

Something something 4CV something.

1 Like

Call me crazy, but I actually like the Avantime… I’d love to import one someday.

Also cool was the one-off five door model seen in Children of Men.

1 Like

My dad actually has a five door Avantime.

The Avantime could also be had with a V6 and 6-speed manual transmission lol.

1 Like

lol, well that sound somewhat like a Renault fan hehe.

BTW, that’s a Grand Espace.

Avantime.

2 Likes