Regular Coupes (not sports cars or supercars) thread

Hello, everyone

I would like to present my premium coupe, The Berserker 250CI…

2 Likes

1988 VAUGHN CHAMPION COUPÉ

(Yes, it is a new brand from me, figured I had a gap that needed to be filled. More info coming soon)

7 Likes

1995-2005 VAUGHN FIREBOLT

The fourth generation Vaughn Firebolt was introduced for the 1995 model year. With a much more aerodynamic bodyshell than its predecessor, the relatively simple technology remained underneath with McPherson struts up front and a torsion beam rear axle.

The station wagon was now a thing of the past, leaving only the 2 door coupé and 4 door sedan in the lineup. The sportiest model was the GTC version of the coupé. With a 2.4 litre twin cam 16V inline four that had a power output of 150 hp, it could do the 0-100 km/h sprint in 8 seconds and had a top speed of 230 km/h.

Other things that made the GTC special were four wheel disc brakes, 3 spoke 16 inch alloy wheels, dual tailpipes and a rear spoiler. The fourth generation Firebolt was produced until the 2005 model year.

6 Likes

If the Champion recalls the contemporary Grand Prix, then the Firebolt brings to mind the Cavalier/Sunfire. I reckon the Firebolt was built on one of the '88 S15 body sets (most likely the smallest one, with a 2.42m wheelbase) - but with the morphs manipulated to give it FF proportions instead of the usual FR look.

Nope, it is actually on the 2.6 metre 2 door Commodore body, showing the versatility of the morphs that bodyshell has. It doesn’t look much like a Commodore anymore…

Sorry for my mistake - the '84 Commoner body sets can be morphed to such an extent that it’s possible to make them not resemble a Commodore/Omega/Carlton very much, if at all. I actually tested that theory once with a test mule using the smallest of the Commoner body sets (~2.4-2.5m wheelbase) and it turned out well in the end, design-wise.

I was considering using the S15 body, but IIRC it is one of the bodies that weirdly enough won’t let you choose McP up front, despite having room for shock towers. DW feels a bit overkill for a 90s FWD economy car, even if Honda was using it frequently.

I get why the S15 body set can’t have struts up front - the bonnet line is generally too low even after morphing.

OK, maybe true for that one then, but there are some other bodies with the same problem that should not have it.

1986 Mayland Imperator 55GT

An oddball American Muscle GT, that happened to be one of the very first cars to ever be offered with a V10 engine. Reason being? Emissions regulations tended to restrict the power output of V8 engines. So, instead of adding displacement, two extra cylinders were deemed to be more feasible to give better power from a smaller displacement, thus was born the Mayland Imperator 55GT, a new chapter in Mayland Motors’ history.

8 Likes

Rigel Odiel Coupe 1995

Rigel Odiel Coupé: The Odiel three-door coupé arrives on the market with its 155 hp engine willing to demonstrate all the power of its engine and the rigidity of its chassis combined with new suspension settings, perfect for dominating any European road. The interior is exactly the same as the one we enjoy in the Rigel Sport Sedan, only with the variation of its seats that can be chosen in red or black. The exterior is finished off with a front spoiler, new three-spoke wheels with a sporty character and a golden-ocher color reaffirm its unique and indomitable character.

6 Likes

Burgsmuller Typ 1-GT (1950)

Premium version of WW Typ 1 in configuration Coupè 2+2

5 Likes

Burgsmuller 1200 GT (1955)

The coupè 2+2 born whit a sinergy by WW, for the engine, Ghia, for panels designe and Burgsmuller for mechanics and assembly.

3 Likes

Burgsmuller 1300 GT (1961)

The exterior restyling of 1200 GT ,New handle, new rear lights and new front and rear air intakes.
The novelty is the 1300 cc WW engine.

4 Likes

2018 Omota Arachnid Spider
The Arachnid Spider was introduced in 1998 for the boom of Sports coupes (In the U.S) in the late 90s/Early 00s. It had three styles: Sedan( known as Saloon) 1998-2010, a Coupe (Known as Spider) 1998-2018, and a Shooting Brake (2010-2018). The Final gen (2016-2018) marked the end of the Tiny coupe and wagon, due to a decline in sales. even after production had stopped in August 2018, the Arachnid Spider & Shooting brake remained on Omota’s website until January 2020, due to leftover cars.

3 Likes

1989 AMS Albatross 2.0

I cooked this one up in my spare time - it wasn’t intended for a competition of any kind. This build was mainly inspired by several contemporary compact AWD turbocharged cars such as the DSM coupes (Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser and Eagle Talon) and Toyota Celica GT-Four of the same era, as well as the Ford Sierra Cosworth 4x4 and Lancia Delta Integrale, among others.

The first of these trims is the Albatross 2.0 Turbo. It’s powered by a 2.0L turbo I4 mounted transversely, driving all four wheels via a 5-speed manual gearbox and geared LSD, developing 200 horsepower and 204 lb-ft of torque - on regular (91RON/86AKI) unleaded fuel.

It may not look like it, but this was built on the Juliet body set (2.54m wheelbase) - it’s a pity that the smallest size (2.4m wheelbase) isn’t available as anything other than a hatchback (yet). Even with the weight slider cranked up to its heaviest setting, it still weighs 1,210kg - a flyweight by today’s standards.

With a 0-60 time of 6.2 seconds and a top speed of 140 mph, the Albatross 2.0 Turbo was a rapid straight-line performer for its time - especially at its price of $21,700 AMU. That would have made it quite a bargain among performance cars, since 200 horsepower was quite a sizable figure back in 1989.

On top of that, ABS-assisted 4-wheel vented disc brakes and 15-inch alloy wheels, clad in 60-profile 205-section high-performance tires (as fitted to this example - they are optional on the standard Turbo, but standard on the Turbo R), hooked up to 4-wheel independent suspension (strut front/multilink rear) make it especially sure-footed and agile in the bends, with a 200m skidpad grip figure of 1.01g.

Albatross 2.0 Sport

But what about those of you who had tighter budgets back then? There’s also a normally aspirated FWD version, the Albatross 2.0 Sport. On this trim, the LSD is a viscous item, and the tires are medium compound items that are narrower by 20mm front and rear. The suspension tune is also softer compared to that of the Turbo, but even so, it still manages to notch up a 200m skidpad figure of 0.9g. It’s lighter, too, with a weight of only 1054kg, thanks to fitment of smaller rear brakes, but inevitably this trim is slower (0-60 mph in 7.9 seconds and a top speed of 131 mph). This is due to its normally aspirated engine producing only 140 horsepower and 137 lb-ft of torque - but at least it can still run on regular unleaded. Oh, and this trim costs only $16,900 AMU - $4,300 less than the Turbo.

The Sport package is optional on the base model; it includes the Turbo’s aero kit (including a functional front and rear spoiler) and alloy wheels (which are optional without the Sport package). However, only the Turbo comes with fog lights and two-tone upholstery as standard, along with an optional black roof and mirrors on some exterior colors. In addition, the Sport package does not include fog lights or body-colored side mirrors (both of which are separate options).

Base model Albatross 2.0

If your budget is really tight, you can order an Albatross 2.0 without the Sport package, and at an even lower price of $15,500 AMU, the resulting car is even more affordable, but you’ll have to make do with 14-inch steel wheels, non-ABS brakes, an open diff, and a basic cassette tape stereo (although alloys, ABS, and a standard stereo are all available as separate options, and the Sport package includes all three items as standard). Also, the Albatross looks somewhat plain without its aero kit. Finally, the naturally aspirated FWD trims can be ordered with a 4-speed advanced automatic transmission (for an extra $400 AMU) as an option, but the Turbo cannot.

Option package availability

The Sport package is the only option pack available for the base model; in addition to this, the Turbo can be ordered with either a more luxurious Premium package or a sportier R package, but not both.

Premium package description

As for those who can afford a Turbo with some cash to spare, you may be tempted by the Premium package, which is exclusive to the Turbo, and adds a premium sound system with CD player, as well as leather seats and trim. It doesn’t add much weight, but it does add quite a bit to the price - all told, an Albatross 2.0 Turbo Premium costs $24,600 AMU, or $2,900 more than the standard Turbo.

R package description

Also exclusive to the Turbo, this and the Premium package are mutually exclusive; you cannot order both of them at once. However, this is meant for the serious driver, and as such comes with a sports interior, forged magnesium wheels, stiffer suspension, lower-profile high-performance tires, and a more aggressive aero kit. It costs $23,700 AMU - a good chunk more than the Turbo’s base price, but it’s still cheaper than the Premium package, and saves 30kg over the standard Turbo.

As far as safety is concerned, all trims come with a driver’s side airbag and manual 3-point seatbelts for all four occupants as standard.

The entire range at a glance

3 Likes

Currently working on a late 80s American/Gasmean Coupe and wanted to get some opinions and suggestions on what I have so far. I’m trying to draw inspiration from cars like the Chevrolet Cavalier, Ford EXP and the Dodge Shadow/Plymouth Sundance but if there are any other suggestions of cars to look at I’m all eyes

Edit: Slightly updated looks and more photos.

4 Likes
2018 Rosenthal Lynx S-Type

Adding more cars to my main lineup Rosenthal, the lore is still being worked on.

8 Likes

1968 Pleionia Leonia SC2000

6 Likes