Sedan/Estate Thread

Agreed… I guess the Turbo should be next :smiley:

2 Likes

2018 Blaire LaFette 3.6 Touring (FL)

7 Likes

That is one of the most visually appealing designs you have come up with. I wonder how well a performance-oriented version would have done in CSR 137, which I hosted a few months ago? After all, judging by the badge, I think it’s powered by a 3.6-liter six-cylinder engine (either a V6 or inline-6), possibly turbocharged - and it definitely has the tuning potential to make it well-suited for such an application.

THE 1960-65 IP ICARUS

In 1960, the Icarus was introduced as a more upmarket model than the IP Lily, since there was a huge need for a model that slotted in between the tiny Lily and the Royalist limousine that was hand built in a few examples every year since 1955. Technically, it featured an unibody construction, a Mc Pherson strut suspension up front and leaf springs in the rear. Three body styles were available, a 4 door sedan, 5 door station wagon or 3 door panel van. It also featured an all new 1.5 litre engine.

In 1962 it got a larger 1.9 litre engine as a companion, and in 1964 you could get a 2 litre diesel (first introduced in the 1963 Celestia), as well as a 3 speed auto as a choice to the usual 4 speed manual. But speaking about the Celestia, it looked kind of ancient when compared to the more modern, crisp design it offered, and since the Celestia was not much smaller, the Icarus sales were suffering. So, in 1966, an all new Icarus was introduced, larger and with a much more modern shape.

Also, evolution of the Icarus during 20 years

Left to right: Gen 1 (1960), gen 2 (1966), gen 3 (1972), gen 4 (1980)

7 Likes

haha, thanks! It’s powered by a naturally aspirated 3.6L V6 as for your typical American sedan from 2018 it seems a bit normal for a more base model, and if it does look familiar I did upload the muscle or performance VST version several months ago on my main thread.

2 Likes

1966 Schnell New 1700S Deluxe

As seen on: Cult of Personality ][ : The Boogaloo [LORE][RD 5 SUBMISSIONS] - #60 by interior

3 Likes

Wells i6 Hybrid

!

1 Like

1973-77 IP WARBLER

With the fifth generation Lily almost growing out of its class, IP released a slightly smaller model to complement it, the Warbler. Being close to the fourth generation Lily in size, the use of a solid rear axle also distanced it even a bit further from the Lily. Though it did not use a primitive leaf spring suspension like the even smaller Commuter, but a K-link system and coil springs. Also, it was available with an 1.4 litre engine, which the Lily did not have, while it never got the 2 litre engine that was available in the Lily. The 1.6 and 1.8 litre engines, however, was shared between the models.

Another thing that the Warbler shared with the Lily was the front suspension, as usual for IPs of the era, Mc Pherson struts. Available body styles were a 2 door coupé, 4 door sedan or 5 door station wagon.

The first generation Warbler was replaced by the second generation in 1978, a car using more or less the same technology but with a more squared off bodywork.

4 Likes

a 90s luxury sedan

6 Likes

a modern luxury sedan

1 Like

1978-82 IP WARBLER

The second generation Warbler was important in the transition from coke bottle styling to a more squared look that most IP cars underwent during the late 70s. But probably, it was a sign that the party was over more than anything else.

Its boxy looks recieved criticism for being bland, unimaginative and dated already as new. Also, with competitors coming out with more futuristic designs, a 3-box sedan with solid rear axle and RWD was not going to cut it anymore. When the third generation was introduced in 1983, the transition to FWD and the introduction of a hatchback kind of sorted those “problems” out.

Technically, it was heavily based on its predecessor. Similar engines, similar suspension etc. And as last time, it could be had as a 2 door coupé, 4 door sedan or 5 door wagon.

5 Likes

1976-80 IP COMMUTER

The third generation Commuter, released in 1976, was the last of the series to use the simple and classic formula that the model had been used since its launch in 1966. A longitudinally mounted inline four, driving the rear wheels by a leaf sprung solid axle. In 1981, the Commuter went to front wheel drive, leaving the Warbler as the smallest rear wheel drive model available.

The Commuter was available as a 2- or 4 door sedan at its launch. In 1977, a 3 door liftback also joined the lineup. Engines available were all of the pushrod IP 4A type, sporting a volume of 1.2 or 1.4 litres. Available transmissions were a 3 speed automatic or a 4 speed manual, both with floor shifter. It could be had as the bare bones “S” or more luxurious “DX” model. The liftback was available in a “GTX” trim, but that was mostly pure cosmetics, and did not feature a more powerful engine unlike other GTX models in the lineup.

7 Likes

The Wells i6 shown in 3 flavors. Sport, Touring and Hybrid

5 Likes

1985-89 IP LILY

The Commuter did the switch in 1981, the Warbler in 1983 and in 1985 it was time for the Lily to turn to a transverse front wheel drive layout. Though, nothing on the outside was really telling the story. Like some other Asian, as well as Scandinavian and American manufacturers, IP was very late on jumping on the aero train. At this time, their chief designer said that the aero styling would just be a fad that would disappear in some years, something that he was not quite right about.

The coupé disappeared from the lineup. Remaining bodystyles were a 4 door sedan and a 5 door wagon. It could be had with 4 cylinder engines with a displacement of 1.6, 1.8 or 2 litres, a 2 litre diesel inline four, or in the more luxurious “V6 America” model, a 2.5 litre V6.

The seventh generation Lily was produced until 1989, when the eight generation took over, with a more rounded, streamlined shape. The V6 version, though, only until 1988 when it was replaced by the new, front wheel drive version of the Vagant.

5 Likes

(Mods plz don’t ban me I couldn’t resist the joke is not nsfw I swear)

1 Like

Wow, another joke from you based on a colour and an IP model, I have sort of missed them. :smiley:

This is an earlier design of my IVERA Executive but since 4.2 is coming it will be lost in that update and I will repost the newest design when I finish it. (Plus the wheels are too big for the 80s)

1986-1992 IVERA Executive

In the late 70s, IVERA Motors AB, felt their model lineup was a bit sparse in terms of larger luxury vehicles. At that time, the IVERA 140 V8 was the biggest and nicest car in the lineup and IVERA wanted to have an even nicer model to sit at the top. In 1976, IVERA began research on the most major competitive brands within the luxury vehicle segment of the market and by 1978 designing of the IVERA Executive (which was known as Project 500) began. The project’s future looked promising and was seeing a supposed deadline of 1982. However, in 1979 and 1980, IVERA began to suffer financially and it negatively impacted the development of the Executive. But, they then managed to pull out of the financial nose dive and by 1982 a prototype was ready. But, the car still needed to go through all the necessary things to make it legal on the roads and it wasn’t until 1985 that production began and finally in 1986 the IVERA Executive went on sale to the public. The car did quite well from 1986 to about 1989 when the Executive ran into difficulties with its outdated looks the car began to lose popularity in 1990 and by late 1991 it had taken a nose dive and in June of 1992 the final Executive rolled off the production line at the Malmo complex.

Obligatory image of the rear:

4 Likes

Had this one stored for some time for the right moment

2 Likes

1979 Wells 500

As seen here Cult of Personality Round 3

2 Likes

It’s technically a 2 door sedan. It’s also technically a truck. The new Haulers Appalooza is just what you need for your weekend escapades.

3 Likes