Steam Greenlight - Give us a Helping Hand

This link is awesome! Thanks for sharing :slight_smile: It really puts things into perspective. Yes, Automation is doing pretty well - could be better though ;D

Awesome.

Some new information regarding Steam Greenlight computerandvideogames.com/36 … reenlight/

The Greenlight doesnt seem to display Likes or Visitors for any game anymore. Now when I visit Automation’s Greenlight page it just asks me “Would you buy this game if it were available in Steam?” and when I try to press “Yes” it doesnt do anything.

“Visitors” and favourites were unnecessary information.

Also, when you press “yes” it should display this message under the buttons : “Thanks for helping this game get closer to release on Steam!” and it will display the progress bar as to how many of the “required” votes the game has.

There is no other effect. If it doesn’t display that, you most likely need to upgrade your browser because that shit uses modern web design techniques which aren’t supported by ancient browsers.

Heavy: Da.

Yes. This time, Let’s ALL VOTE!
Please Make a TF2 Propaganda to ensure the safe performance of all authorized activities.
Certain objects may be vital to your success.
Please?

[quote=“hanitora”]“Visitors” and favourites were unnecessary information.

Also, when you press “yes” it should display this message under the buttons : “Thanks for helping this game get closer to release on Steam!” and it will display the progress bar as to how many of the “required” votes the game has.

There is no other effect. If it doesn’t display that, you most likely need to upgrade your browser because that shit uses modern web design techniques which aren’t supported by ancient browsers.[/quote]

Yes it was changed from the fly, it didnt ask that question at the beginning. Still It appears to count my (positive) vote in, even tough it changed the question.

Btw, Ive been going trough these Greenlight games voting “No thanks / Not interested” (because like 99.99% of them are shit) and I was just wondering does anyone know what is the purpose of voting “No thanks / Not interested”? There doesnt seem to be any stats about that option and if there arent any stats, then that button is pretty much a no-brainer. I mean them guys at Valve must understand this? Dont they?

I hope they do understand that… TotalBiscuit had some good points in this mailbox video. Downvoting is pretty pointless. :slight_smile:

Total Biscuit is uninformed on the matter, or he was when he made that mailbox video. I have no idea if he has since been informed or not, as he hasn’t addressed this issue again.

Downvoting is not intended to have any effect on a project besides removing it from your ratings queue. Eg you don’t have to skip over a shitty project you aren’t interested in 10000 times to find a new one that you are interested in. The idea is to downvote everything except what actually interests you. Perhaps in the future it will have implications like making it less likely for you get a type of game you tend to downvote in your ratings queue first.

Without the downvote system, using Greenlight would be literally impossible. You keep getting the same games in your to be rated queue until you decide to vote yes. And by the way the term “downvoting” is really a misnomer as you don’t take away votes or anything, and the effect as previously stated is just the removal of given game from your queue.

It is also possible to choose yes after choosing not interested. So the vote isn’t locked.

Sure, but I don’t see how he “didn’t get that”. It was a thumbs down, and even if that is not counted as a negative, it gives the impression of having a negative effect, which is a misconstructed mechanic - at least from a psychological standpoint. The new “not interested / no thanks” button is better in that regard. And yes, I agree that this button is needed in order to make the system work and remove entries from your list, it is just the initial presentation of it that failed to convey the mechanics of a rather sensible system.

On another note: I’d actually love to see the new fee to apply retroactively too (including us), that would clean up the huge pile of mess on there at least a little bit. :slight_smile:

It did give the wrong impression, granted. There was a clarification available by a Steam employee a long time before it was changed to “Not interested”, however.

TB does research this shit, so it’s strange that he didn’t pick up on it, but there you go.
Greenlight is a bit of a mess in general, there are many problems with it right now. For example, in my opinion the progress bar that shows you how many % of votes needed should be removed - and replaced with a favourite counter instead. The % is not really representative of your ability to get on Steam and it just discourages people who voted for your project with the incredibly small percentages.
Indie Stone made good suggestions relating to collections as well which would help it a lot.

I think it’s fine that the fee isn’t retroactive, because for the most part the games that are still on there are reasonable. There are some bad apples, but nothing like before and only kinda weak in terms of quality.

What the hell… First it seemed like it would take forever for even the most popular game to hit a 100% rating on greenlight, and now all the sudden there are 10 games that have reached this goal shrewdlogarithm.com/greenlight.htm#. I remember looking at it yesterday and the best had something like 50% or so.

First I thought that maybe they have changed the voting system “a bit”, but then when looking at Automation it still has just 2%. I dont know if there is some kind of “prudent” explanation for why this is happening, but for me as a just a regular steam client, this whole greenlight -thingie is some weird shit.

I posted a link to the Greenlight on /r/Autos on reddit. Every little bit counts and people always seem really interested by the game, it’s all about getting the word out!

reddit.com/r/Autos/comments/zr83t/automation_needs_help_on_steam_if_youve_ever/

[quote=“FordManFromHell”]What the hell… First it seemed like it would take forever for even the most popular game to hit a 100% rating on greenlight, and now all the sudden there are 10 games that have reached this goal shrewdlogarithm.com/greenlight.htm#. I remember looking at it yesterday and the best had something like 50% or so.

First I thought that maybe they have changed the voting system “a bit”, but then when looking at Automation it still has just 2%. I dont know if there is some kind of “prudent” explanation for why this is happening, but for me as a just a regular steam client, this whole greenlight -thingie is some weird shit.[/quote]

Give Steam a break. They are the only big platform out there that enable independent developers to reach a massive audience through Steam. Of course, nothing is perfect, and there’s a lot of fine tuning to do, but every steps in the right direction is good. They said that they are tuning the level of “popularity” needed to greenlit a project, according to the number of projects, number of voters, etc…

Yeah, this greenlight -thing should fit pretty well into that description :smiley:

:slight_smile: That’s so true. But I prefer an imperfect greenlight than nothing.

Steam audience is nearly 5 million single users per day. If only 1% of them open Greenlight, and see Automation page on it, it means that 50 000 people are now aware that a game like Automation exists. They may speak of it around them, blog on it, reddit, etc… I’m sure that Automation would take benefit of such audience.

But FFS, Steam has to do a lot of work on Greenlight : coverage, filtering, presentation, etc… I’m sure it will come in a near future.

Voted, and passed it along on my facebook, got some people with car interests on there.

Voted on steam, good luck.

Voted as well.

voted

voted before buying