Survival of the Fittest [suggestions, ideas etc]

Ok, who doesn’t know what’s up can read up about the competition here

What Im looking for is ideas for tracks or new limitations or new mechanics, or anything you would like to change or add (and no, the fuel economy stage will not go anywhere, it’s a perfect way to ballance your car’s weight to it’s power output without setting exact limits).

Just a bit of info
Next SOF is going to be

1. Similar tech reglament as 1983
  2. Will be in 1985
  3. Will include economy stage

What I’m thinking to add is

1. More stages and slower removal of players (not halving the grid each stage, but I don’t know yet)
  2. Thinking of implementing repairs between stages (very minor though)
  3. Thinking to implement a rally timing mechanic (you start your next stage with a time penalty that is equal to "how much you lost to your opponent on the last stage)
  4. A surprise weather mechanic - i just check the weather in a set location the day of the race and use that
    5 Tire width limitation (tire damage for overly wide tires?)

thoughts?

I like the look of no. 4.

Seems like it would make it much harder to plan for :smiley:

hmm… anything that might give a modified communitasia a chance :wink:

though in reality, i like your ideas so far, though i have one question, why did it go from 75 to 83 to 85? just doing it in whatever year you feel like it?

yup

I dont like number 3, each stage should be timed normally

On another note hopefully i can participate in this one, didnt have a car read in time for the last one.

I feel like not much difference going from 83 to 85. I’d just submit the same car with some tweaks.

My thoughts:

1: Definitely appreciate more stages and less removal of players each stage. I spent most of the last one ignoring it because I was blown out too soon.

2: I like the idea of repairs between stages. Maybe we can combine that with a modification to 3. Effectively, being able to post in the thread and state, “I’d like to repair my engine” (essentially for this example, allowing one repair each.) Someone who comes up and says, “I’d like to repair my suspension and stop that ticking valve” would fall in a penalty dictated by the idea of 3.

3: My thought for this would be that you could repair up to a certain amount on your car for ‘free’ where you’re not penalized. Past a certain amount (dictated by you and what someone submitted in the thread as their requested repairs), you add a time penalty that basically states, “Hey, you spent 10 extra minutes repairing your car. It better be able to out-pace cars that got ten minutes less repair time.”

4: Surprise weather? Totally cool with that. Less ability to sit there and game the system by poking about with a calculator to make a winning car, more people will make it with cars that may not have been the best for that stage in the dry but had a better compromise when wet. Means the standings will shake up a bit more and someone who’s planned every stage to the millisecond might find themselves worrying about bad weather.

5: Tire width limitations. Definitely needed. Or, an alternate possibility is you could give people with tires sticking outside their car under the sheet metal fender flares a higher chance of an unfixable flat. Set the limit at something reasonable and anyone strongly outside that range ends up getting a flat once their car takes damage, slowing them down enough to offset big sticky tires.

Further thoughts:

I think '85 is too close to '83. I can’t recall any major changes we’d get in that span. If I may make a polite suggestion, I’d recommend '88 to '92 as a range to look in. We get some new car bodies, a bit of new tech, and it might open things up to some interesting strategies.

Thats the idea

85 opens up new fuel which we can use, and i’d rather run 85 because it would mean 83 was a test race in which people would figure which bits of their car worked and which didn’t and could adjust better. It would allow for better resuls for most people.

Also if the rally stage timing is implemented, I think the repairs will be like “1 point of damage repair per minute”, people may decide themselves how much they want to repair.

Tire damage also is interesting

I like the idea of some minor repairs. Especially is next SOF will be even longer.
How about if you link the repair to practicality/utility (or just trunk size)? Like more toolsandstuff you are able to bring the more you can repair.

1 Like

Adding to @AirJordan’s idea, you could add in an ‘Ease of Repair’ equation based on the service cost of the engine and car as a whole. Cheaper = quicker repairs.

or maybe even cheaper servis cost (like how easy is your car to repair) faster repairs.

1 Like

We’d be going into pickup racing or wagon racing then.

Here are my suggestions.

First of all keep the economy stage to get to the main event. Maybe make it more restrictive.

Repairs - you have a budget for your car which includes your repair funds. it costs 1% of your car total cost to repair 1% of damage.

Weather - don’t look at real life weather, roll dice to determine what it’s like.

Tyres - just limit the width to rally spec - MAXSPORT TYRES SPECIFICATION SHEET FOR RALLY & TRACK TYRES - MaxSport Competition Tyres

And lastly…hurry up!! :laughing:

1 Like

Ok, I got a reasonable enough tradeoff idea that i’d like to bounce off you, people.

People who wish to skip the economy stage can only use 91 ron, while those who will go the distance on their full tanks can use any sort of fuel, leaded or not, any octane goes. That would be like “I brought my own fuel that is not widely available” versus “I stop at gas stations and fill up on 91”.
Still not sure if this will ballance things out though, it’s a concept idea.

Also the idea of implementing repairs, im thinking along the lines of simplifying TR8R’s idea by “each 100 bucks you save on your budget can get you 1 point of damage repaired. So you can save 10 points of reliability if you spend 1000 less on your car”

1 Like

I like these ideas, but both sound unbalanced. It takes much more than $1000 to add 10 reliability. And I’m not sure but for the fuel choice I would suspect that one way or the other will always be better.

So… more lenient requirements on fuel economy to people running 91 ron, so they can squeeze more power by running richer?

No, I’d be afraid of the other way - that it will be too easy to go super rich on 91 octane if there’s no requirement.

That is what I was supposed to say. But Im sorta sleepy and not thinking straight.
How does “1.5 times less stringent rules for economy for unlimited petrol group” sound?