SUV GT Racing

I’m a little curious about SUV GT cars, is this really a thing? there is any race dedicated to this kind of cars?

I’m working in a strange kind of 6 seater SUV GT in a campaign totally dedicated to Hyper and GT P. cars, since hypers are 2 seaters and GT P. are 4 seater I thought let’s do one 6 seater that can be selled as a luxury P. car!

Am I crazy by putting almost 900hp for this 2200kg car and wanting to race It as a new Le Mans category?

Any thought about how this should look or what would be the specs for a SUV GT race?

4 Likes

I think the only racing series that use SUV real world would be things like pure offroad racing like Dakar. You could probably try to make a road racing style of SUV but I don’t know if they could be as appealing in a real world scenario. Although in Aus we do have SuperUtes which are things like the Chevy Colorado, Ford Ranger, VW Amarok, Nissan Titan, etc with spec engines racing on the same tracks as the formerly V8 Supercars.

4 Likes

Very interesting, I will take a look at this kind of race! Here in Brazil SUV and Utes are normally the prefered car for road travel, some people will drive this kind of car at very dangerous speeds and trying to run over smaller cars.

An SUV is not ideal for circuit racing due to its greater mass and higher center of gravity compared to an equivalent passenger car, and on top of that, I suspect 6 seats is one or two too many for the Luxury Premium category. You deserve full marks for audacity, though.

2 Likes

surprisingly enough been selling it in the campaign now for 7 years, at first it had a 100% desirability in Luxury P. I’ve just started to sell a new trim with a confort version for Luxury P. and Sports version that have a really high demand on Utily Sport Luxury and GT P. The year is 2002 and the confort version is my number one selling car, I’m working with only one engine for all trims, the lattest version has a 1310hp v6 3.0L. The most fun part is that I started to search for real cars that would be like this, and they exist but there is no official race, BMW XM would be problably the closest one to this ideia, maybe in the next years this kind of race could start to appear…

The lattest Sports version is a really nice drive in beamng, capable of 380km/h with a very nice handling.

1 Like

I’ve been thinking in host a community challenge for the SUV-GT racing, the idea is to race production SUV as an endurance class, it could have two categories: SUV-GT, SUV-Super GT.

Why? SuperUtes and Formula Truck (Copa Truck) exist in real world so why not SUV. I Had just realize that Formula Truck is a Brazilian thing… and if you already saw Formula Truck you know what I’m talking about, it’s silly and funny, dangerous and, oh boy, how they struggle to overtake the others.

Secondly what I found that reassembles the SUV-GT:

1. Jaguar hosted the I-Pace eTrophy, all electric SUV with something like 25min race, 2000kg with 400hp.

1. There are two design that can reassemble the SUV-GT from Ford Performance Racing School Explorer ST, and the Supervan 4.2. For the Explorer ST I didn’t find exactly the specification besides it’s uses a “3.0L EcoBoost twin-turbocharged V6 engine”, so no weight or horsepower. The Supervan 4,2 is an all electric 1680kg with 2000hp

Explorer ST

Supervan 4.2

1. There are already a lot of Super SUV in the market, most of them are hybrids but they can achieve more than 280km/h and have 6 or 7 seater trims.

So, I’m thinking in something like these two categories:

SUV-GT:
Car Model Year: 2000
Maximum horsepower: 500hp
Minimum weight: 1500kg,
Allowed body type: Wagon, SUV and MPV
Seats: 6 – 9
Minimum comfort: 30
Minimum reliability: 25
Minimum prestige: 40
Minimum safety: Standard 00s
Maximum material cost: 35.000
Maximum car engineering time: 140
Tech Pool: +0 all

SUV-SuperGT:
Car Model Year: 2000
Maximum horsepower: 1400hp
Minimum horsepower: 500hp
Minimum weight: 2000kg,
Allowed body type: Wagon, SUV and MPV
Seats: 6
Minimum comfort: 30
Minimum reliability: 25
Minimum prestige: 60
Minimum safety: Standard 00s
Maximum material cost: 35.000
Maximum car engineering time: 140
Tech pool:

Why so many seats? To differentiate from the standard GT and Hyper cars, and imagine doing a lap of victory carrying your pit crew, seems funny!

No engine displacement restrictions, the most difficult part probably is the horsepower/weight.

The background of the challenge would be: RGS Racing the Motorsports and Manufacturer company, specialized in high-end GT Premium and Hyper cars is willing to host a race event to boost the big success of the V6 1310 and the Gran GT 2000. The Company wants to prove the high-end stake of using the same engine for different sized cars. The RGS Racing Motorsports and Manufacturer want others company and teams to race and try to beat the Gran GT 2000, as a prove of passion for velocity, comfort, and prestige.

I’m thinking in maybe two tracks, an automation test track and Le Mans 1955.
I don’t know exactly how we can compare fuel economy for a long endurance setup, any suggestions? Will people enjoy and enter this community challenge? it would be my first one.

2 Likes