The 2021 24 hour clunker run (Epilogue part 1)

Any rules concerning the amount of aero fixtures on the car?

Since I haven’t put any up, I guess I can’t change that now, but if something seems unrealistic I can still bin it. No production cars have 38 spoilers.

2 Likes

Our team: Team Slow,
We’ve got this Hakumai CS-2 (Compact Sport 2-Seater) used for $550AMU. A car which is a very fun midship 2 seater
Yes, we indeed have the truly slowest vehicle to ever hit the market as an mid engine car.

We’ve used the power tools and the Chinese eBay turbo to an advantage. We also decided to deck it out to
make it ready with Rally lights, spare tire from an suv along with a bullbar. I’ve also removed all the unnessesary weight on the vehicle

Before:

4 Likes

The annual 24h clunker run is getting closer, and we can give you a little teaser that our own entry this year will be a 1987 IP Urbana 1000 GTT. Yes, the forgotten little hot (lukewarm?) hatch that nobody bought, with its wheezing little 1 litre turbo four. Stay tuned for more info.

(Trafikjournalen web, 3rd of may 2021)

8 Likes

Team Racing Stripes

The Car:

After managing to get rid of one troublesome Traville, they got another one!

This is, or more appropriately, was a 1993 Sinistra Traville LX V6 in the color “Imperial Purple”, packing five very comfortable leather seats, a proud 3.9L V6, and steel rims with fake-wire-wheel hubcaps that, at least in their favor, were still made with real wire threaded through cheap aluminum.

Once it was stripped and straight-piped, the team had to agree, the V6 sounded way more rowdy than the far-more-powerful 5.2L V8 in their old GS-HO.

The Team:

Kayden Grayson - 7 feet, 8 inches tall, 415 pounds. Twin brother of Kaylie Grayson. He is a Panthirian Tigrilan, a race of aliens who look like walking tiger-men, but unlike his smaller siblings, he has a unique genetic mutation known by the nickname of “the warrior’s blood,” making him stronger and taller than most of his kind. Kayden has white fur with black stripes, and his eyes are blue.

Kaylie Grayson - 6 feet, 5 inches tall, 175 pounds. Twin sister of Kayden Grayson. She, too, is a Panthirian Tigrilan, and as a quirk of being born under the same conditions that produced her toweringly-tall brother, Kaylie is a little taller than the average female Tigrilan. Kaylie’s fur is also white with black stripes, and she also has blue eyes. Kaylie’s left arm, however, is mechanical, a result of space being dangerous. This arm is chrome with black stripes, matching Kaylie’s natural pattern.

Jaden Grayson - 6 feet, 7 inches tall, 230 pounds. The older brother to the twins, Jaden is also a Panthirian Tigrilan. His fur, like that of his siblings, is white with black stripes, though his stripes are thinner than the ones his siblings have, and his eyes are also blue.

Rukari Khakrin-Veldrothan - 8 feet, 3 inches tall, 450 pounds. Rukari is an Aetheriian Valraadi, a race of aliens that loosely resemble the Tigrilans, if the walking tigers were to have horns on top of their head, the mane of a lion, the ear-tufts of a lynx, a double-set of canine teeth, and a tail that is as long as they are tall, which ends in a tuft of sharp quills. Rukari’s fur is a dark gray with black stripes, with his mane, beard, tail quills, and ear tufts all being a deep, rich black. His eyes are a vibrant, bold orange. Unlike the others, Rukari’s blood is a dark blue color, and causes steel and iron to rust at an accelerated rate on contact.

The Story So Far

(As those of you who have seen me doing these team introduction posts before already know, I tend to get a bit long-winded in these. Other than some character development, it isn’t necessary to read this, but some of you may find it entertaining.)

Kaylie breathed a sigh of relief. The 1989 Traville had been sold, and now they could get something new for their next great race. Jaden had already pointed out a 24-hour endurance event for clunkers, and Kayden was scouring the internet looking for something that he thought would hold up. Still, Kaylie had a sense of unease as she sat in their rented warehouse, looking around for where Rukari had gotten off to. The Valraadi was, at least in Kaylie’s eyes, perfectly suited to finding trouble wherever he went.

Kayden looked to the garage doors as they opened, followed by seeing a dark purple sedan drive in. “Our resident Emperor has returned,” Kayden quipped.

“You know, Kay, you shouldn’t tease him like that,” Jaden chided. “It’s not nice, and even if you only believe half of what he says he can do, you don’t want to be on Rukari’s bad side.”

“You have got to be joking!” Kaylie groaned, recognizing the late-80s/early90’s blob in front of them. “We just got rid of one of these and you bought another one! What on Earth is wrong with you!?”

Rukari stared at Kaylie, then slowly got out of the 1993 Traville LX. “You said we needed a car for a challenge. I buy this car for $150, and you ask me what is wrong with me?” Rukari replied.

Jaden looked around the car, shrugged, then said, “Well, considering I would have easily paid ten times as much, I’d say Rukari’s a shrewd negotiator.”

“My mother made sure that I-” Rukari started to say, before Jaden cut him off.

“I wasn’t insulting your negotiating strategy, Rukari. Negotiations are part of diplomacy, after all, and you got a good deal on this car,” Jaden replied.

“How did you get such a good deal on this car?” Kayden asked, now genuinely curious.

“I told him, ‘no pictures,’ he took one anyway. I told him, ‘Car for $150, or I break both thumbs.’ He took that deal,” Rukari replied proudly.

“At least,” Kaylie said, smiling, “you didn’t challenge him to a knife fight.”

“Sword fight, not knife fight. I am the son of an Empress, I do not fight with knives,” Rukari replied.

With the interior stripped out and the seat rails altered to slide the driver’s seat back far enough for their team to all drive comfortably, the exhaust system cut off before the catalytic converters and straight-piped, and all the fluids checked, the 1993 Sinistra Traville was ready to race.

6 Likes

You mean AR?

I meant boost, I know you can’t put it on exactly 0.8 bar but I did not remember what the closest decimals were… :rofl:

And of course, you mean “bar” whereas, being a Brit, I still use PSI!!! :rofl:

Does this rule mean that every quality slider (apart from wheels & tyres) must be set at -2 (or worse) or do you mean that, if we go negative then we cannot go below -2?

The later.

1 Like

Team Chinese Dragons(中华之龙赛车队)

Team Members:

Jiang Hui (蒋辉)- He is a 34-year old medical engineer from Wuhan. Besides that, he is also an amateur racer and often posts videos about his racing events in Bilibili (Pretty much the YT of China, also known as B Site by the Chinese). He is the leader as well as the main racer of the team. He is a hot-tempered but focused guy, loves to wear casually, and an avid listener of AC/DC.

He Qi Qian (何启谦)- A friend of Jiang from Shanghai, and a month younger than his friend, is currently works as a UX designer in Baidu’s branch in Wuhan. He is also a fan of motor racing, as his father was a motorcycle racer when he was younger. He is the main engineer of the team. Unlike Jiang, He is a pretty chill and funny person, loves drinking energy drinks, playing strategy games and making memes on the Internet. Some call him “the next Steve Jobs” as he also has a lot of ideas in his mind.

David Tsai (蔡俊賢)- Also a friend of Jiang and He, 29-year old Tsai was born in Kaohsiung City, Taiwan, but posted to Wuhan due to his job 6 months ago, which is a manager for the Chinese branch of MSI. Just like his friends, he is also an avid automobile enthusiast, and he recently owns a Toyota GR Yaris back when he is still in Taiwan. He is the second racer of the team. He doesn’t likes talking too much, as he is a quiet person. On free time, he loves to watch anime and listens to J-pop. He also has an avid fan of Taiwanese pork buns.

Vehicle:

2006 Nanjing Xianfeng (南京先锋) K2 1.5 CVi

He and Jiang got the car in October 2019 in a local junkyard. When it was sent to He’s garage, the car looked very much like this. The 102 hp engine is certainly does not generate that much thanks to various issues, the electronics does not work, the body is rusted like hell, and at best, it was barely driveable. Thanks to a turbo kit bought on Alibaba, a LSD found from the junkyard, used rims from Jiang’s old K2, some other stuff bought from various places and of course, repairs imposed by all of the team, the car is finally working as intended.

But then COVID-19 came, with Wuhan being the first city to hit with the virus, and the fact that everyone is seemingly busy with a shitload of things, the project kinda halted. It was only until December when He found the car on his garage, and the project kinda resumed.

When the guys heard of the race happening in Sweden, they are very, very interested. Probably because they haven’t left the country for a long time, and the fact that they wanted to prove the car’s capabilities and their skills.

Of course, Tsai was later involved in the race too, due to the fact he overheard his friends talking about it and being interested in it.

With the car finally being ready, 2 months before the race starts, they are pretty much interested in it. Will they have a chance to win the race? Maybe, but we’ll wait.

Lore about the car

What is supposed to be

Well, the K2, launched in 2005, is the first car ever made from Nanjing Xianfeng after years of only making buses and trucks. The company decided that creating a new car is pretty much needed as the economy of China is booming, people getting richer and the younger people can actually afford a new car. So, they grabbed a dated 1.5 liter four-pot straight from Japan, fitted it with some questionable quality like most Chinese automakers at that time, and sell it. It’s a hit, with more than 100,000 units sold per year in China alone, and some even break the Great Wall and be seen in countries such as Russia and Vietnam. Even when the car has a lot of problems. A lot. But still, its a wonderful compact and by the time production ended in 2014, there’s still a lot of them in the streets of China.

More pics

7 Likes

Should cars be running production aero (e.g. maybe a wing and splitter), or are realistic track modifications (e.g. a sensible number of dive planes) permitted?

if any, then the stock aero i’d imagine as the cars being raced are beat-up cars from various eras

most teams probably lack the budget to do proper aero

my two cents

4 Likes

Absolutely right, Elizipeazie. The inspiration for this is a race that was run every year for cheap beaters that were more or less stock, not for much more than the sake of fun, and that’s the spirit I want to catch.

3 Likes

Team Double Dip
Lars, a local mechanic in the suburbs on the outskirts of Gothenberg, was browsing the web one day when he came across a car he simply had to have. A 1995 Akira Metro S. It was cheap, Lars had never seen one priced this low before. The previous owner plastidipped it, quite badly, which isn’t really a big deal for him. More importantly however, the seller stated that the car was in working order so Lars did not hesitate, and bought it sight unseen, knowing that should the car have any minor mechanical issues, he should be able to sort them out himself.

The day came, Lars, and his close friend and co-worker Markus, went to collect the car. There it was… Green, dirty, a gawdy aftermarket tailpipe, and chromed out ricer wheels that belong in 2 fast 2 furious.

They had come to find out that all was not as it seemed… The car’s registration was expired years ago, it barely starts, and there was some serious corrosion on the floor panel. There’s no way this thing is roadworthy, let alone road legal.

But Lars and Markus decided to take it anyway, because the Metro has one of the most iconic engines, the 1.6l C16. The engine was small, but it packed a punch, and it revved to the moon. It would be perfect for Rally cross, something Lars and Markus always talked about participating in.

Car: 1995 Akira Metro S
Lars and Markus got to work prepping the car. Fortunately, the mechanical issues were relatively easy to fix. Spending a good few weekends in the workshop rebuilding the engine was well worth it, the engine was running smoothly, like she just rolled off the lot. They then replaced the ugly aftermarket bonnet and mirrors with some standard ones they found at a local spares place, and replaced the ricer wheels with some cheap steelies they had lying around. They also completely stripped out the interior and electronics.

What they were left with was truly amazing. She was light, and thanks to that engine, she was powerful. It wasn’t all sunshine though, the C16 engine, while iconic, was known to have some reliability issues, and this one would be especially problematic, having been rebuilt over a few weekends. There were also some issues with electronics that the two of them were nervous of.

Lars, Markus and a few other co-workers registered for the Rally Cross as Team Double Dip, named in honour of the plastidipped pocket rocket that will (hopefully) drive them to victory.

Pics

4 Likes

Totallynotacivic? :joy:

3 Likes

definitely100percentnotacivic

But we can’t have a clunker event without a civic.

5 Likes

The 2nd pic to me gives off geo metro/Daewoo Nubria vibes.

question regarding the tyres: if they’re staggered if the 225 max a hard max or an average max?

meaning can it have 200 front 250 rear? for example

Another clunker run…another Franklin Marshall entry.

Car #68

Drivers will be Jaimz and Lara Marshall. Both are in their early 30s and have both done well in some of the lower racing categories. Unfortunately this didn’t pass through to the higher racing series…so both are relatively good amateurs!

The car is a 2005 StreetSport, with the optional X-Pack (upgraded engine & gearbox for higher top speed). Fitted with a 2L naturally aspirated inline 4 engine. This was going to be a refurb project but when the clunker run was announced it was decided to do the refurbishment with whatever was left at the end of the race!

4 Likes