The Automation Ad Challenge (submissions closed)

Don’t make deals with the Devil

9 Likes
i give up trying to make this work

!!!draft!!!

6 Likes

!!!draft!!!

6 Likes

Here’s some ads I’ve done during all these years:

12 Likes

I made this for CSR152 - Hole in one

And this for JOC2D - Rising star

3 Likes

Here is one that was created for CSR 148

At this point, I am a bit busy to document all the steps I took. However, I will also defer to this: Automation Photo Editing Guide V2

11 Likes

18 Likes

bit late to the party i know

and i am in fact throwing shade

9 Likes

My computer became a de-facto leg warmer making these.

3 Likes

Not many compromises for this roofless, faster and better Miata made by the Swiss

1 Like
is anyone even going to read this? I guess I'll just put a spaceship here (_)(_)=====D~~

Quick update and an apology

So, as you may have noticed, there’s only three days left in this challenge and I haven’t posted in here in a bit. Gonna be honest, that one’s on me.

I was planning on doing a round-up of the drafts and what feedback I have that would serve as the one week reminder on Monday, but unfortunately on the weekend I got quite sick, be it covid, a really bad cold, or a really bad cold and something else at the same time, who knows. Whatever it was I just super wasn’t up to spending long in front of the computer, and I kinda just lost track of time and thought I was only a day or two late : /

So because of that, I’ll be extending the challenge a week, and doing the round-up on this Monday, for real this time. That way there’s still an acceptable amount of time between getting feedback from me and the challenge closing.

HOWEVER

One thing I don’t think people have quite grasped is that this isn’t a competitive challenge. Like at all. That means that people are free to share their own feedback and tips. That’s what the challenge was meant to provide from the start, not just one dumb Aussie photographer telling you things, but everyone sharing knowledge.

So see you on Monday (down here, at least) once I comb through all the drafts people have posted!

8 Likes

How about a video ad? you know, a video showing the car

Uhhhh it’s not particularly in the spirit of the challenge, but if you can make something with a gif from one of the photo mode animatics then by all means go for it, but otherwise no, just photos only.

A car that was made by both @happyfireballman and @Danicoptero

is anyone even going to read this? I guess I'll just put a spaceship here (_)(_)=====D~~

!!!ONE WEEK LEFT!!!
ALSO REVIEWS!

Only late by like a day late shut up.

First up, it wasn’t explicitly said but it seems like @yakiniku260 wanted feedback so

Feedback

I understand what you’re going for, that sort of self wank ad style is very sports car, but the concept itself is a bit let down by the font choice. The quote especially is hard to read with how squashed it is. Fonts aren’t really my strong point so I can’t suggest anything, but I definitely feel that the quote and body could do with a font with better weighting and a more uniform look across both.

As for the photo itself, it’s very similar to the ad as a whole. Solid, and I get what you were going for, but the photo itself almost feels a bit flat. The issue comes from the fact that it’s creatively solid enough that I can’t really come up with any firm ideas for improvement other than “Just trial and error it out lol”.

Now, for @the-chowi

Feedback

This one’s basically perfect for a van ad. Good action shot, demonstration of its loading abilities, shot of the van itself, and the obligatory EV “Wow look it’s electric!!!” shot. Maybe if I had to really nitpick the depth of field on the charging shot is a bit off (I’d rather the whole van be in focus than have a bit be out of focus), but it’s a very minor issue and hardly a dealbreaker.

Possibly the only complaint I have is that the bottom bar being colour coded to the van makes it feel a bit boring and flat, but not only does that work pretty well for a van, I can’t really think of any alternative that isn’t white or black, and those aren’t just boring and flat, they’re generic as shit too. Maybe there’s a corporate colour that could be worked in somehow?

Next up is @shibusu

Feedback

The lack of dog in the ad is an unforgiveable crime that will be forgiven thanks to the limitations of Automation (dog builder when???).

Outside of that, the ad wank is pretty typical and solid. Covers all the bases, sells the car effectively, and solid font choices.

The photo I’m a bit more mixed on though. I’m not huge on how the lighting’s turned out, but knowing that photoscene I know a lot of that is unavoidable. The framing also isn’t ideal, and personally I’d move the camera back a bit, and move the car slightly more into the lower right corner (keeping it to the rule of thirds) to sell the movement and action a bit more. Outside of that, however, it’s pretty solid yet again, with good action and dynamics that again maybe just need a slight reframing to really shine.

Finally, @DrDoomD1scord

Feedback

Super obvious what you’re going for here (can I call it Saabcore with the fighter jet there? :^) ) but something about the framing just isn’t doing it for me.

The photo itself feels too wide, and I think that could be solved with better framing of the subjects. Having the photo taken more front-on, with a longer focal length and the vehicles sorted largest to smallest (so plane > Eagle > open wheeler) would be a more effective image in my opinion. It may detract from the Eagle, but that could be easily solved by making it a more eye-catching colour like red.

The rest of the ad is pretty bang-on, simple but effective. The red accents on Technologies and Eagle really pop, and really sells the elegant ad from the 90’s/early 00’s look. Maybe the only thing I would do is balance it a bit by using the red to emphasise something on the other side of the ad too, like “Performance” or “no issue.”? Or even just the full stop could be an effective emphasis.

With the feedback done, all that’s left to do is give you the reminder that there’s (slightly under) one week left for submissions! See you then!

4 Likes

considering the positive feedback, and the fact that i’m quite busy, i’ll just be turning my draft into a final submission.

1 Like

This is definetly not just a repost from somewhere else.

This is the ÖKUL S99 model lineup
Brainchild of the NH division, the S99 is Ökul's take on modern hypercar.

In our minds, the art of modern hypercar is finding balance between power and aero.
The S99 NH is powered by an elecrically assisted 4-litre 6 cylinder boxer and features our most intricate aerodynamic solution ever.

It was designed from ground up with one primary purpose - to go fast.
And go fast it will, as Ökul NH Motorsport will be taking the S99 to arguably the hardest race of them all - Le Mans.

Meet the ÖKUL S99 NH & S99 NHMS LM.

Pictures of Ökul S99 NH

Spec sheet of Ökul S99 NH

Wheelbase, length & widht 2.88 m / 4.90 m / 2.09 m
Weight 1371 kg
Chassis Mid-engined
Carbon fiber tub, carbon fiber rear subframe
Panels Carbon fiber
Powertrain Ökul O-EB6 4.0 (A20) NHt
815.0 hp @ 6700 rpm, 955.0 Nm @ 3800 rpm,
redline @ 8000 rpm
+ 3 electric motors
Drivetrain ICU paired to 7-speed dual clutch transmission driving rear wheels
2 electric motors driving front wheels
0 - 100 km/h 2.20 s
Top speed 330+ km/h
Wheels Magnesium rims, sport compound tyres
Front: 21" rims, 305/35R21 104(Y) tyres
Rear: 21" rims, 335/30R21 106(Y) tyres
Brakes NH carbon ceramic
Front: 375 mm discs, 6 piston calipers
Rear: 375 mm discs, 4 piston calipers
100 - 0 km/h 28.5 m
Interior & luggage 2 lightweight carbon fibre sport seats, lined in lightweight leather
2 storage compartments under rear clamshell, in front of rear wheels
Production run 99 units

Pictures of Ökul S99 NHMS LM

Spec sheet of Ökul S99 NHMS LM

Wheelbase, length & widht 2.88 m / under 5.20 m / under 2.1 m
Weight 1100 kg
Chassis Mid-engined
Carbon fiber tub, carbon fiber rear subframe
Panels Carbon fiber
Powertrain Ökul O-EB6 4.0 (A20) NHt MS
804.5 hp @ 7400 rpm, 874.2 Nm @ 5800 rpm,
redline @ 8000 rpm
+ electric motor
Drivetrain ICU paired to 7-speed sequential transmission driving rear wheels
Electric motor driving front wheels
0 - 100 km/h 2.6 s
Top speed 340+ km/h
Wheels Magnesium rims, Duchemin race tyres
Front: 18" rims, 310/45R18 tyres
Rear: 18" rims, 340/40R18 tyres
Brakes NHMS carbon ceramic
Front: 375 mm discs, 6 piston calipers
Rear: 375 mm discs, 4 piston calipers
100 - 0 km/h 25.8 m

Ökul Motorcars AS, 2023

5 Likes

I put the new forgis on da jeep

5 Likes

!!!Submissions closed!!!

Slightly late (less than a day this time!) because of classes, but as of 9 hours ago submissions are closed.

Also due to the aforementioned classes, reviewing may take a while even though it’s rather simple, so at the earliest results will come out on the weekend, but it may end up taking a week or two longer, no guarantees.

See you then!

6 Likes