The Automation Gamer Challenge [NEW THREAD]

Ah, now that was a fun challenge!

I can’t remember the last time i did get through one without either having a very mediocre car or ending up in the bin for setting the year wrong, If i ever did.

This probably also was the challenge i’ve put the most work in, The kart took me about a week of working on daily to achieve MAXIMUM BOMBASTICITY, along with also being my first major full 3d build ever.

Competition was Red-hot too, with what i can only describe as a little bit of everything; Something you don’t see too often.
Congrats to @Xepy on the Win!

3 Likes

A bit later than I said I would be doing this but I will be passing it down. I have spoke to the Sendo team as well and they are also passing, so…

@TheLapTopX20 ?

2 Likes

Congrats to the top 3! If needed I can co-host but I’m absolutely unavailable to host solo.

2 Likes

Oh, that sounds like it could work. I absolutely am not taking my first time hosting alone :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

The next round is on the works, With @kaybee along to Co-Host!
Initial set of rules Should be in by next week. Get ready for a trip back to the 90s!

2 Likes

AGC21 - Special Touring

THE TEA

The Tea - Comic edition (Thanks, kaybz!)

It’s 1994, And a big Stock car racing title has hit the markets, Both at home and at the arcade.

This has caught the attention of executives at Deuterium Entertainment. They have been planning on dipping into the racing market for some time, And now was a good time to take a piece of the cake, Setting the project on the hands of DE Viaje Grande to develop.
They’ve settled on a Group 5 racing game, With High speeds all around and grippy mechanics; Codename "DE Special World Touring"

(Mockup cover - This could be your car!)

Now they must decide upon what cars to include; Planning to have licensed cars in the game to have an edge over other racers with nameless ones. That’s where you come in.

THE GIST OF IT

Design a Group 5 car for inclusion in DSWT, A 90s Arcade racing game by DE Viaje Grande, Published under Deuterium Entertainment.

You must enter a Homologation car, As Group 5 cars were still touring cars based on production vehicles, If loosely.
Using vehicles you have already made as a base car is encouraged.

This is largely a Design challenge, So having a car with incredible stats won’t win you it over a really nice design.

THE REGGS

Essentially Gr.5 Regulations

Year must be set between 1976 and 1982. (to align with Gr.5 Gen 4)

A homologation car must be submitted, It’s design is free for convenience’s sake, However it must be street legal: This includes inclusion of Catalytic converters and unleaded gasoline.

The modified car must keep the shape of the original bodywork Except for Fenders and Aerodynamic elements.

The Modified car shouldn’t be over 2 Meters in overall width. (Applies to Homologated car for… obvious reasons)

Chassis cannot be modified from the Homologation model. This includes drivetrain orientation (No Front to Rear, No Trans. to Long.)

Mechanical components cannot protrude past the body, Unless covered by Fenders.

Engine should keep the Block from the original car, Any other modification is allowed.

Driving wheels should stay the same from the Homologation car. (ex. RWD stays RWD.)

Tyre size varies depending on Displacement.

Tyre Sizes

Up To 1000 cc - 280mm Max
1300 cc - 300mm "
1600 cc - 330mm "
2000 cc - 355mm "
3000 cc - 380mm "
Over 3000 cc - 405mm Max

Non-Homologated Aero should (loosely) Fit within the frontal projection of the car.
Front aero may not exceed overall wheelbase by over 10%, And should be installed under the height of the wheel hub.
Rear aero may not exceed overall wheelbase by over 20%.

(Numerical values except for year allow for slight excess for convenience, But it’s not reccomended.)

THE STRATS

The META
:star: :star: :star: :star:

-Design Realism-
The Design should look like something from Group 5, Though some innacuracies or deviations will be accepted as the game isnt meant to be 101% accurate. Feel like doing something a little outlandish? If it looks like it meets regulations, Go crazy!

-Design Flare-
This is pretty much a given in this kinda class, But if your car looks awesome then it may draw in more players, which means it’ll be more likely to be a Cover car.

PRETTY EFFECTIVE
:star: :star: :star:

-Engineering Realism-
We are talking racecars here, This should be the place where you put all your latest tech and efforts into. An economy inline 4 driving the front wheels probably isnt gonna cut it. (But hey, If you can make it work, then do whatever you want)

-Lore-
Does your company have a racing pedigree? Maybe you had a miraculous win once? Tell us! A car with an interesing story will probably stand out for enthusiasts.

NOT NECESSARY BUT PREFERRABLE
:star: :star:

-Submission Presentation (Your Forum post)-
A nice looking presentation for your car might just be what it’ll need to appeal to the Execs. Yeah, a folder of pictures will do, but some effort will be benefitial.

WON’T REALLY HAVE AN IMPACT
:star:

-Automation Stats-
(We’re not judging the cars by how fast they are at ATT, or how much you can max out this certain stat, etc. As long as it vaguely resembles a racecar you’re good.)

-Interior Design-
The game engine simply can’t support interior models, And if it did it would be a bit disorienting with the existing game physics.
(We know it’s fun for some to make interiors, and we aren’t stopping you, but realistically they wouldn’t be rendered in-game, so they wont be counted in judging, at least not as much as other aspects.)

Inspiration

unnamed

rx7-1550594773
carmia FF

Naming convention
AGC21 - YourForumName
(Applies to Model and Family name).

If any parts need be hidden, Please include them in the Model name.

Send your submissions via Discourse DMs.

Submissions open December 05.
(Ruleset prone to change before this date.)
Submissions close 23:59 GMT (midnight) December 26.
hey, that’s right after christmas!

18 Likes

(if it isn’t already obvious, we’re emphasizing liveries and such moreso than interiors for this challenge)

2 Likes

this looks really fun, huge fan of these style racecars; i am now plotting something

2 Likes

If I’m reading the rules correctly, we’re entering two cars, a street homologation variant and a race one? Will we be needing to send those by different names or anything?

you only need to enter the group 5 car specifically. you’re permitted to present a homologated car in your presentation/lore, and are encouraged to do so, but it’s not required.

1 Like

Any engine regulations we should worry about? Is there a maximum size, cylinder count, etc?

Nope. The only “regulation” is that the engine block is shared with the homologation car (If it’s not included, then it’s simply free, though its cooler if you do include one)

Any limitations regarding 3D fixtures? Some bodies don’t have the arches sit high enough to get that true Gr.5 look, so 3D fixture wheels would be needed.

Not necessarily, The challenge was designed with 3D fixtures in mind. As long as the car meets the already stated regulations then it’s fine.

Cool. So, Automation stats don’t matter, including base wheel/tyre width?

Generally they don’t matter in terms of competitiveness, But Realism is to be expected. They should follow the rules stated in the regulation section of the post.

3 Likes

the first two priorities are design-related and automation stats are almost irrelevant; firstly no, and second off yes this is indeed a design-oriented challenge. as long as the wheels are realistically designed and positioned it’s no biggie.

2 Likes

This seems to imply that you do have to submit the homologation car, as well as the parts that say X thing can’t be changed from the homologation model.

how strict are you guys going to be on this? is it more of just a “if it looks similar to Group 5 cars then it’s fine” sort of thing, or are you going to measure each car?

3 Likes

First off; Yes, you have to send in a Homologation model along the racecar. Faling to send it in won’t be a bin, but it’ll take away “points”.

As for aero measurements, They should be roughly under or at the threshold, With slight excess of it allowed. It’ll look bad on the review if it’s too over it though.

I’ll clarify on the post and discuss some with kaybee.

1 Like

The tyre rules I am assuming is for front / rear width, not front and rear combined?