AGC22: Nostalgic Revival (Final results in!)

Previous Round: (AGC21 - Special Touring)

AGC22: Nostalgic Revival

Scenario

Shibuya City, Tokyo, Japan.

The year is 2022, a number of former employees from White Box, Paradise Games, Punkstar, and RZei banded together to create a company (“Birb Software”) to provide a new simcade game franchise to give a nostalgic delight to racing game fans worldwide!

Absolute Revolution would be the first in hopefully a long line of nostalgic-feeling open-world street racing games. It would be inspired by Desire to Speed, Test Driver Infinite, High Noon Club: 3, and AutoTurismo.

Absolute Revolution would let you create your own character, buy houses, new or used cars, tune them up, and street race as well as engage in police pursuits in a dynamic weathered constant free-roam racing game around a 1/2 scale Japan!

Next up was to choose your first car! Be it from a new or used car dealership, even auction-house for a bargain or a private seller with a restoration-job to toy with before racing in Absolute Revolution.

The developers are interested in creating a “Recommended selection” for first-time players from complete new-comers to experts. The so called true starter cars of the games will be these. The best will become the cover car!

Introduction & Rules

The aim is to create the best “starter car” for the budget allowed, so it can be anything from a sporty family hatchback to classic sports car, muscle car, entry-grade sports car or used premium car.

• This will be held in Automation 4.27 Alpha, any 4.24 entries will not work and will automatically not qualify.

• Magnesium block, Semi-slick tyres, Racing parts, Carbon Fibre parts are all banned, it’d be unlikely you’d find any of these on a starter car!

• Quality sliders are allowed to go from a maximum of +3 to -3.

• Must have at least one muffler and a loudness below 45.

• Super 98 RON/Leaded 98 RON are the maximum octane allowed. Leaded fuels will only be acceptable on cars from 1989 and before that do not have a catalytic converted from factory.

• The car must not be able to exceed 155mph/249kph with or without a limiter. (I use mph, please make sure to check before submitting) ((To help clear further confusion, this implies the car’s top speed cannot go 155mph+, the slider can go wherever, and the speed limiter can be used to limit to 155mph.))

• The car must not be faster than 5.5 seconds 0-60mph/96kph.

• Maximum ET of 150 on engine trim.

• Maximum PU of 80 on engine trim.

• Maximum ET of 150 on car trim.

• Maximum PU of 160 on car trim.

• 35,000 soft limit & 45,000 cost maximum (Approximate cost in Detail Stats)

• Drivability above or at 30

• Sportiness above 0 but below or at 50 (With the exception of cars before and including 1955, I realise they struggle to achieve any sportiness sometimes, so long as the car is reasonably fast don’t worry.)

• Pre 1970’s cars can have tyre sizes ending in “0” {Example: “230”}, but 1971 onwards will only be allowed to end in “5” {Example “235”} (I could not find much information about the ISO international sizing for tyres, but 1970s seem to be when regulations were about)

• The transmission in-game would be more sophisticated than most racing games, forcing you to use the gearbox that comes with the car trim in real-life! It can be changed out in a tuner shop, or completely turned off through settings options. In the case of Adv. Automatic, DCT or Sequential transmission, they are interchangeable and so are in-game too. (All transmissions are allowed)

• Attention to detail and realism is key here, anything that is questionable will be scrutinised! Plain and simple: Don’t min/max or expect an instant bin.

• An interior is required, this is to compete with triple A games, so it must include interior camera view!

• A post in this thread with pictures and some info on the design/engineering is required.

• The car will be tested inside BeamNG as well as reviewed in Automation.

• No resubmissions - Make sure your build is fully complete before sending it in. (This rule will be over-ruled if a game update breaks a submission)

Design Inspirations & Ideas

The range of starter cars in game would be anything up to around £25-30k (IRL) new or used from all ages. For example you could potentially select anything from a Pontiac Firebird '77, Mazda RX-8, Lotus Europa S2, Chevrolet Camaro Z28 '69, Subaru BRZ, Alfa Romeo Brera, Buick Riviera '63, Civic SiR, Porsche Boxster S.

Diversity on what you can create is quite vast, but inline with the rules the car shouldn’t be faster than entry-mid level sports cars. The games which inspire Absolute Revolution’s starter car list would be NFS Carbon, Test Drive Unlimited 2, Midnight Club 3 & LA, Gran Turismo and Tokyo Xtreme Racer games. Use these game’s starter cars for your inspiration and rough performance indexing!

Do keep in mind the car you’ll be creating is intended to be a starter car: it has to be easy enough for younger gamers to drive without crashing or spinning out at every corner!

Exterior Inspiration: American cars

Buick Riviera 1963

Chevrolet Camaro Z28 1969

Chevrolet Camaro 4th Generation

Pontiac Firebird Formula 1977

Plymouth Sport Fury GT 1970

Cadillac Escalade

Pontiac Solstice GXP

Dodge Challenger 1969

Buick Super 8 1948

Chrysler Prowler

Ford Focus SVT

Cadillac Seville STS

Interior Inspiration: American cars

Buick Riviera 1963

Chevrolet Camaro Z28 1969

Chevrolet Camaro 4th Generation

Pontiac Firebird Formula 1977

Plymouth Sport Fury GT 1970

Cadillac Escalade

Pontiac Solstice GXP

Dodge Challenger 1969

Buick Super 8 1948

Chrysler Prowler

Ford Focus SVT

Cadillac Seville STS

Exterior Inspiration: European cars

Alfa Romeo Brera 3.2 JTS Q4

Austin Healey 3000

Jaguar XJ Sport X300

Porsche Boxster S

Lotus Europa S2

Mercedes C36 AMG

Marcos GT 1600

VW Golf GTI (Mk1)

Range Rover Sport

VW Corrado VR6 Storm

Renault Clio Sport

TVR 280i

Interior Inspiration: European cars

Alfa Romeo Brera 3.2 JTS Q4

Austin Healey 3000

Jaguar XJ Sport X300

Porsche Boxster S

Lotus Europa S2

Mercedes C36 AMG

Marcos GT 1600

VW Golf GTI (Mk1)

Range Rover Sport

VW Corrado VR6 Storm

Renault Clio Sport

TVR 280i

Exterior Inspiration: Japanese cars (Domestic Market)

Subaru BRZ

Subaru Alcyone XT

Nissan Fairlady 300ZX Z31

Isuzu Piazza

Nissan Silvia S13

Nissan 180SX

Toyota Sprinter Trueno

Mazda Eunos Roadster/MX-5 (NA)

Honda Civic SiR

Honda Integra Type R

Mitsubishi FTO GPX

Mazda Eunos Roadster/MX-5 (ND)

Mazda RX-8

Interior Inspiration: Japanese cars (Domestic Market)

Subaru BRZ

Subaru Alcyone XT

Nissan Fairlady 300ZX Z31

Isuzu Piazza

Nissan Silvia S13

Nissan 180SX

Toyota Sprinter Trueno

Mazda Eunos Roadster/MX-5 (NA)

Honda Civic SiR

Honda Integra Type R

Mitsubishi FTO GPX

Mazda Eunos Roadster/MX-5 (ND)

Mazda RX-8

Priorities

:star: :star: :star: :star: :star:

Style and coolness: The ideal car has to be something awesome that performs as well as it looks!

Drivability: We don’t want whoever plays the game to get fed up because they can’t handle a fast/unstable car at the beginning.

Sportiness: We don’t want it being too slow it can’t compete with the rookie drivers, however the fastest car won’t necessarily win.

:star: :star: :star: :star:

Realism & Lore: What makes your car ideal for an open-world street racing game set in Japan? What is the brief summary of the car for players in-game to read?
Uniqueness: Sometimes the oddball car can make a racing game give players a completely new experience or enlightenment!

:star: :star: :star:

Submission presentation: A few nice looking pictures with some written detail alongside it (see Realism & Lore) will do!
Interior

:star: :star:

Logical engineering choices
Comfort, Prestige, Safety, Off-road, Fuel economy, Reliability.

:star:

Is “drivable” in BeamNG: I will test all the cars inside BeamNG around (undecided course) to see if they are drivable.

Deadline and entry guide

Entries open for submission on the 7th March 2022 @ 12PM GMT and close on 29th March 2022 @ 12PM GMT

Please DM me your thread post & .car file through the forums in this format:

Model name: AGC22 - (YourUserName)
Trim name: Name of the car
Engine family name: AGC22 - (YourUserName)
Engine variant: Name of the engine

Birb Software logo created by @Reizei, thank you!

21 Likes

Oh… Do i smell the chance to re-reutilize a car i’ve already made? Fantastic!

Does that mean we will need a used car price calculator to determine the current prices of our cars, especially older ones?

It is likely but I have no idea how to make one that would work :thinking:

You could use a car’s sportiness and prestige as factors that determine its current price, based on a fixed depreciation rate based on the difference between the game’s release date of 2022 and the car’s trim year. Alternatively, if you somehow find the whole used car price calculator idea to be unworkable, you may consider setting a set of maximum prices, one for each decade - for example, cars from 2010 or later have a higher price ceiling than those from the 2000s, which in turn have higher price ceilings than those from the 1990s, and so on.

Major update to the title! Please let me know if you think it works, or any holes in the rules etc!

Are there any limits on trim and/or engine production units and/or engineering time? If not, why not? Also, would a maximum power-to-weight ratio (in bhp/ton, where 1 ton = 1000 kg) limit make sense, and if so, how much?

This is a wide range of capability. I’m liking this, could probably modify an existing car to fit this.

3 Likes

This is 249km/h for anyone playing along at home

5 Likes

What is Absolute Revolution’s transmission system going to be? Will it be like the traditional NFS/Forza model of “Regardless of the actual transmission on the car, you can leave it in automatic, or you can do sequential or even clutch-manual shifts”?

2 Likes

Slight note - your modder side is showing slightly. The beta version is 4.2, and uses Unreal 4.27. This is the version to use, regardless extra numbers. The stable version is 4.1 and uses Unreal 4.24. This is the version not to use.

I have edited the OP again with further changes and additions to the rules from comments earlier, please let me know if it works better now! :sparkles:

2 Likes

Does that mean “car can’t exceed 155, either by limiter or by gearing/power,” or “car can’t exceed 155 by gearing/power, even without a limiter?”

Are these values required? If so, you might want to mention this in the rules so it’s easier for competitors to check their builds.

2 Likes

It means the definite limit is 155mph with or without a limiter, meaning two things, it either doesn’t reach 155mph or is limited by a speed limiter to 155mph. So whichever way you set up your car make sure it doesn’t go over 155mph.

Also good point, I’ll add those to the rules now :ok_hand:

Edit: Added further edit to the rules, and dropped the 0 to 60mph time to 5.5s.

6 Likes

So as for the no resubmission rule, I’m assuming that may be overlooked in the event of a stat breaking game update like what we’ve seen with a few of the other challenges?

Yep, for game updates that cause things to go wrong I will consider resubmission for those affected!

4 Likes

Am I allowed to use the advanced trim setting in order to shrink down the transmission tunnel in a MR car?

Yep, feel free to use advanced trim setting!

Awesome, thanks. I’m working on a tiny kei car at the moment, and was wondering if you figured 120 front and 170 rears were realistic enough, or if I am pushing it on those rears?

I’m pretty sure modern tyre sizes always end with a “5” but if this is a very old kei car from the 60’s, I’d say it would be okay. I will make a new rule about this that states pre 1970’s cars can have “0” but post 1970’s must end in “5.”