The Car Shopping Round 136 - New Millenium, New (old) Beginning - ENDED

I want to do an epilogue with something to that effect, but that will depend on how jacked up my week gets. Right now top focus is getting the finals written so the winner can be announced.

Not what I was expecting for sure - and high praise indeed for what was only meant to be an affordable pony car! 300 horsepower may not sound like a lot these days, but in 2002, it would have definitely been something to talk about. It would also have split the difference between the contemporary fourth-gen Camaro Z28 SS and New Edge Mustang GT - and only the latter would carry on into 2003.

That engine, by the way, is in a mild state of tune; I made a more powerful version with over 400 horsepower, but it drinks premium unleaded at a furious rate (and costs more to service on top of that), whereas the variant I submitted only needs regular gas - and less of it to boot.

And regarding hosting duties for the next round: If no other finalists are able to do so, I will happily take over the reins for CSR 137 - I already have a few ideas for a theme in that case. But regardless of the final outcome, Iā€™m just glad to be a finalist and walk away with a much-needed podium finish.

5 Likes

Whoa! No matter what happens, this is officially already the highest Iā€™ve ever scored in an CSR. Good luck to the other two finalists! :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Itā€™s a deserved finalist placement! The car is clean and it certainly feels like itā€™s fit for a younger person than my car did xD

300 bhp got you a long way with muscle cars back then, and the fact alone that you got it to run on regular already elevates you compared to the premium-guzzling Camaro.

4 Likes

Same for me! Top 3 is the highest Iā€™ve ever scored, but I have to thank @Ryan93 for his consult in convincing me to go with an inline 6. Otherwise, I probably wouldā€™ve been binned for clearance issues.

5 Likes

You are right. On top of that, neither the aforementioned Camaro Z28 nor the '02 Mustang GT had an independent rear suspension, much less a multi-link set-up, which the '02 Corsair has - and the Corsair also has a double-wishbone front suspension for good measure. With all that advanced running gear, the Corsair could easily have been the best-handling pony or muscle car on sale in America at the time, and I made sure of that.

As another reference point, a Series 1 Holden Monaro V2 CV8 of the same vintage (and by extension, the VX Series II Commodore SS on which it was based) also made 300 horsepower, albeit with 0.6 liters less displacement, and if I am not mistaken, on regular unleaded, just like the Corsair. However, the Monaro had a less sophisticated suspension setup (strut front/semi-trailing arm rear). Then again, the Monaro didnā€™t launch in the American market until late 2003 (as an '04 model, under the Pontiac GTO nameplate)ā€¦ Whereupon it promptly flopped, and was discontinued after just two years and a half - but thatā€™s a story for another place and time.

Even so, to combine a 300-bhp OHV V8 with 91 RON compatibility and then slot it into a chassis with a similar suspension setup to a Euro premium/luxury sedan, while still having leftover room in the budget (both in terms of PU/ET and approximate cost after adding a gas-guzzler tax to the latter) for a premium interior and stereo, plus high-performance tires and a Torsen (geared) LSD, is an astounding achievement, especially considering the quality of the opposition I came up against.

1 Like

I actually just bought a Holden last November. 13 Chevrolet Caprice. Car is way more fun than I need, just wish it was a manual, but I have an old Jeep for that.

1 Like

good luck to the finalists!

2 Likes

hey, no problem. You build the engine/car, so congratulations you made a good job. Dont thx me, you made it by yourself into the finals. Good Job!

1 Like

I feared that I would suffer such a fate early on, considering how much space was required to fit my engine in - as it turned out, it didnā€™t take up so much space that the service costs went through the roof.

Speaking of engines, with the mild cam profile itā€™s running, it also makes around 350 foot-pounds of torque low down in the rev range, which might explain why it was so fast off the mark (0 to 60 mph in ~5.5 seconds) - perfect for those impromptu stoplight drag races. And I achieved all this with two reverse-flow mufflers installed for added comfort.

1 Like

Well, looks like we have a slightly slower V6 luxe cruiser, a more powerful V8 premium muscle, and a peppy little I6 roadster. Itā€™s great to see the variety of this line-up! Iā€™ve loved the write-up so far and canā€™t wait to see how Andrew will make his choice (and what drugs heā€™ll be on while doing so).

4 Likes

Thank you. I had to get slightly contrived to get his last prescription into the narrative, but the 4 drugs make the chorus of a song which might make it the longest running joke in the story. I tried to squeeze in a line about Stuart meeting his fiend, and Ramon at the Cinnabon about some window panes, but 1, it seemed like too much, and 2 I couldnā€™t work it into the dialogue organically. Mostly the first one, Andrew is the victim of big pharma burying research. Didnā€™t want to trivialize that.

Come on, donā€™t do the car like that. Bit of unfair judgement. lmao. Also, why Los Santos? Arenā€™t we in the real world?

Really? That was an accident? I though you were making a reference, so I was responding. Itā€™s not why you got binned, just an observation.

Itā€™s alright, the car does have a gangster vibe to it and I would be able to see in the hood. The reference was completely unintentional on my part so you neednā€™t worry. And maybe one of Andrewā€™s neighbors bought one, you never knowā€¦

3 Likes

FINALS - Test Drive

Thursday Andrew awoke late in a daze after sleeping off a Lortab. Heā€™d fallen up the stairs after climbing them too excitedly the night before. After a long day of filing paperwork his full settlement payout was in escrow at the behest of his attorney. Once the car was chosen, and the house for that matter, the money could be drafted out simplifying his transaction. After the typical grizzly bachelors breakfast Andrew pocketed his JHP, and climbed into his Colt Vista for what he hoped would be the last time.

Mons Ghibli

The first stop on the car buying adventure would be the Mons dealership. After the obligatory gladhanding with the salesman Andrew is led to a deep black Ghimli. With the door open, he was struck by the slight dichotomy entering the cabin. The interior, while of the utmost luxury, felt unbalanced compared to the unassuming exterior. The car was a sort of comfort sleeper. Starting the engine produced a very clean note that hinted at a faster idle speed. He attributed this to the engine being cold.

In the dealer lot Andrew began exploring the cabin. Every panel was carefully designed to flow together, and a dizzying array of controls, lamps, and storage cubbies were sensibly placed. The air conditioning was capable of accepting a temperature rather than the hot to cold slider he was accustomed to, and the passenger had a unique control on their side.

Once on the road the comfort focused steering manifested in an arguably detached feeling. As stated in the article there was no hint of torque steer endemic in the FWD platform, but the cost was road feel. The car had the expected control in the corners, and any jounce was predictably controlled by adaptive dampers, but the lack of steering feedback meant that the body roll was the only indicator of how severe the car was taking the corner.

In the parts between corners the wheel sat perfectly still, and the car floated along like nothing Andrew had ever owned. Small bumps, and road gaps simply melted into the suspension, and larger imperfections were met by a gentle float rather than the jolt he was accustomed to.

Entering the highway the small car began producing a low drone on acceleration indicating a higher than ideal engine load. Andrews mechanical sense began nagging him about oil temperatures, and valve concerns related to high engine load.

In all, the Ghimli was an almost surreal driving experience compared to anything Andrew had ever driven before. Itā€™s foibles were more comparative than anything really wrong with the car, and he could certainly get accustomed to the luxury it provided.

Durendal R2-C

Leaving the Mons dealer, Andrew next made his way to the Durendal dealership. Another song and dance with a salesman, and he had the keys to a creme R2, and the convertible version no less. Outside looking in the R2-C had a similar interior to the Ghimli color toned to the new car, but the radio had many fewer switches and knobs. The simpler control layout would surely mean less fussing on his part. All the luxury here was arguably less out of place inside the R2-C where you could expect it, or even an ultra lite no nonsense interior complementing the performance oriented chassis. Starting the car produced a near whisper with a very smooth runup.

Once on the road both the throttle, and the brakes felt effortless. The mild floating of the suspension was becoming comfortable, and Andrew decided the R2-C made better use of it, perhaps due to the car being lighter than the Ghimli. It could also be the brisk steering and considerably lower body roll of the low slung roaster. This resulted in a noticeably lower comfort overall, but to the same effect the R2-C being closer to the road meant the sensation of speed was more pronounced, and even a simple drive was more satisfying. Once out on the highway the car provided a sensation of racing speeds. The comparative absence of the driving sensation in the Ghimli was not missed.

MAD Corsair GTE

Andrew returned to the dealership, and began his drive to the MAD dealer which was a bit further out there. One last round with a salesman, and Andrew was handed the keys to a Corsair GTE.

Outside looking in the Corsair had a simpler, but still smartly designed interior, but the entertainment package was more emphasized. This stood in almost direct contrast with the R2-C he had just left, but similar to the R2-C the interior felt matched to the car. There were many fewer storage cubbies to lose things in, and the lights were more what he was accustomed to. Starting the car produced an invigorating V8 lope spoiled slightly by the airiness of too many mufflers.

Out on the roads the Corsair had an eager feeling to the drive that bordered on the urgent. The massive V8 had no hesitation, and the short geared transmission would hunt for a gear at certain speeds. Despite this underlying aggression the ride was supple and balanced. The steering seemed to get more eager at higher speeds, but this followed the sensations presented by the car's urging the driver to speed up more.

Out on the highway the car had the comforting rumble of a V8 distantly behind it, but the feeling of speed wasnā€™t as pronounced as the cars thirst for it. The car had decidedly little roll for its height, and absorbed the road just as competently, and softly as the other two. Andrew drove the MAD back to the dealership. He would pick up his new car tomorrow after connecting the finance department to his escrow. Almost as thrillingly he would be leaving the tired, and frumpy Colt Vista behind, the last material reminder of his old self.

The next afternoon, Andrew awaited the arrival of Stuart. He had a full case of Natural Lite to share with his friend as they admired his brand new...

...car. Yeah, Iā€™m going to stall you a little longer with some honorable mentions:

Most design work:

Has to go to Kyorg & karhgath for the Northstar Transatlantic. The base car is barely recognisable under all the fixtures, and the interior is simply incomparable.

Best looking:

With a combined score of 8.5/10 Camjkermanā€™s Raven Streamliner was the favorite. Now we just need a contemporary engine in there.

Best engineering:

With one of the highest scores in the objective measurements, and a price in the low average range the Branson-Bradford from vero94773 & yurimacs made the best use of the budget.

Best sounding engine:

Bringing a noticeable rumble, and consistent sound the V8 5.0 confort by Arn38fr was the most enjoyable to listen to.

5th place goes to the Raven - V8-M by

@thecarlover

4th place goes to the Watson Ariesa V8 Convertible by

@Arn38fr

3rd place goes to the Mons Ghimli by

@cake_ape

2nd place goes to the MAD Corsair GTE by

@abg7

And here is Andrew's new car!

Congratulations @GassTiresandOil !

Thank you so much everyone for participating. We hope that you enjoyed this round as much as we loved to host it. Truly a positive experience. See you all on the next round.

@mcp928 and @mat1476

16 Likes

Congrats @GassTiresandOil, you surely deserve it!

5 Likes

Congrats to the winner! Well deserved

@ldub0775 - no tags, no spoilers till the winner has seen the post.

5 Likes

I mean, they are tagged in the post, soā€¦

HOLY HELL! GG to everyone who entered, these were truly awesome cars submitted.

I loved this round (retro styling is one of my passions). Thanks @mat1476!

Unfortunately I wonā€™t be able to host next round, and as @abg7 came in second and has already expressed interest, Iā€™ll leave it to him.

I still canā€™t believe I won lol.

11 Likes