The Car Shopping Round 65 - On the Case in Diesel City

I think we all are

7 Likes

Reading the review. The only reason my car getting a bin is because he doesn’t vape.

6 Likes

Trim nearly falling off for me. So…body quality sliders? Or just general trim placement improvement?

trim placement. It’s caught out a few people here.

1 Like

Right. Best get to improving that then for next time.

I’m sorry but Diesel City MUST be heavily polluted.
Venom Motor Company, in contrast to the municipal administration, helps to make the city characteristic for tourists and visitors.
Buying a Venom you contribute to the environment up to 1000 times more than buying a Prius, and we are proud of it.
Choose the tradition.
Venom Motor Company CEO

6 Likes

Oh no, I forgot the mufflers, r.i.p. me…
These reviews are proving very interesting so far

@Alib Yeah, the trim along the side was very rough. In a profession where style is very important, Henry can’t risk that. Other than that big issue, it was quite a pleasing design.

@F17Francesco There’s where the “dieselpunk aesthetic but realistic engineering” part comes in. I didn’t think I’d need to specify that a cat would be mandatory by this year.

2 Likes

Glad to see the design was pleasing. I feel as if not only my designs but many others have gotten overall much better after the inspirations and criticism from the car design competition.

Don’t worry, my reply wasn’t a criticism but only some role play. The reviews are very well done, good job.
P.S. In this period i have very little free time, this is my first competition in a looong time and I’ve spent 80% of the time designing the car and only 20% at engineering it. So I’m glad you like it.

1 Like

Reviews Part 3

Henry steps out of the cab a few blocks away. No sense walking through the garment district. Lighting up yet another cigarette, he steps up to the next dealership…

@szafirowy01 Zavir 99 Turbo Six

With Zavir being another of the more well known brands, the dealership is predictably busy. With a quick look at some other models along the way, Henry quickly sets his eyes on the 99 Turbo Six. What a car. It’s another of the beautifully detailed cars he’s seen today. Quickly finishing his cigarette, he gets a closer look at the blue bodywork. The colour is a bit bright but excellent, with a subtle pearlescent effect to it. The subtle details on this thing are just right. It’s not very showy but has plenty to catch the eye when paying attention.

Inside the 99 Turbo Six is a well appointed premium interior for five with a HUD. The safety features are good though not the most advanced of the day while the 8-speed automatic suits the character of the car quite well. At $49,500, it seems well appointed for its size. Thinking about future stakeouts in this big car leave Henry confident that he’ll be very comfortable.

Having a look under the hood reveals the namesake of the car: a 30-valve turbocharged 3.8L DOHC I6. The unit should be good for 334 hp and a whopping 500 Nm, enough to propel the large car to 100 km/h in 6.4 seconds. Maybe a little excessive, but not nearly as much as some of the other cars. A look under the car reveals some big brakes and an aluminium chassis, as well as a few high end suspension components. Feeling fairly confident, Henry decides to take it for a test drive.

Driving the car out of the lot, the I6 is noticeably smooth and quiet. That’s exactly how Henry likes his engines. He feels the turbo pull a little by at times, so he knows it will spool quite quickly as he turns onto the Skyway ramp. What he didn’t expect was a mountain of torque. As he feels the turbo spool up he’s suddenly pushed into his seat as the big Zavir rockets up the ramp to an increasingly loud engine note. Bypass valves. Regaining his composure at the top, he takes the next exit and carefully returns to the dealership. This looked to be a decent car, but the engine is loud and brash when pushed only a little. Lighting a cigarette, he shakes his head in disappointment while heading out onto the street.

@Fayeding_Spray VenomTech Rattlesnake

The next dealership to visit is VenomTech. Henry saw the stylish coupe online and had to have a closer look. Seeing it in person, he agrees with his brief impression from the internet: it’s very stylish. Also menacing. It’s nothing too crazy, so it shouldn’t be too hard to blend in, but it’s still a very stylish coupe so it’s bound to get some attention. Looking like such an expensive car, he’s surprised at its affordable asking price of $49,200.

Moving to the interior, he finds a premium design with a heads up display and 6-speed automatic. What is a letdown is the 2+2 seating arrangement. There’s barely a seat there, enough to be used as some storage area or for hauling kids which are not present in his life. That’s disappointing, he really liked the design, but a 2+2 is not what he had in mind for a proper back seat. Leaving the dealership with a cigarette in mouth, he looks across the street at the next car on dsplay.

@accent DeLacy 4000

As he walks across the street, getting closer and closer to the display window, Henry finds himself enamoured by the big red sedan within. This thing looks very sci-fi. Having a look at it inside the showroom, Henry lights a cigarette as he has an internal conflict. He loves the looks of it. But this aesthetic is so modern and different that the car will stand out no matter where he goes. Conflicts between his heart and his brain are never easy. Hmmm. That settles it, the car he’s looking to buy is an extension of his equipment, so emotions should not matter with a tool. At that he finishes his cigarette and heads out the door, looking back at the DeLacy 4000 in the window one last time before he walks away.

@BrafMeToo McKeown T3

Seemingly just to tug on his heartstrings, the McKeown T3 in the window down the block looks quite similar to the DeLacy 4000. Dammit, it’s not like he hasn’t had some cruel irony after a heartbreak before. Taking a long drag to finish his cigarette, Henry tears his eyes away to talk inside. Having a look at the T3 inside the showroom, Henry finds the unusual colour strangely attractive, and not just because it’s close to the 4000’s luscious red. The design on this one is also very modern and bordering on sci-fi, but it’s not as overtly so. He might still be able to remain inconspicuous in this, especially if ordered in a dark colour. It passes the first inspection.

Moving to the cavernous cabin, Henry finds premium seating for five and enough space to be comparable to his first studio apartment. At this point the heads up display is nothing new, but the 7-speed sequential transmission is. Safety features are very average, however, and while the car should be very comfortable based on the equipment, it’s simply… not. He can’t place his finger on why, but most of the other cars easily felt more comfortable than this one. With the $49,650 he would expect something more.

Putting his worries aside for now, Henry begins the mechanical inspection. The engine’s a 32-valve turbocharged 4.0L DOHC V8 said to produce 348 hp and 466 Nm. The T3 is said to hit 100 km/h in 6.3 seconds. Quite fast considering its size. The customary look underneath shows a fully clad aluminium chassis and another active suspension system. All checks out. While the mechanicals seem fine, this car’s not all that safe or comfortable. Placing another cigarette between his lips and lighting it, Henry debates himself again. When placed with the borderline sci-fi styling, the faults of the car can’t be excused at this point. With the sun slowly working its way toward the horizon he still has cars to see and won’t be taking this one on a test drive.

@Jaimz Marshall Raptor 3000

Next down his list is the Marshall dealership. Finishing his cigarette on the way in, Henry heads to the small Raptor 3000 for a look. Not bad. The colour is very nice, different yet subtle. It should pretty well look black on those night time stakeouts. Overall a tidy modern design that is sure to blend into traffic quite well, except maybe for the wheel accent but that’s an easy fix. Costing a mere $35,550 will leave him with enough for a new set of wheels anyways.

Moving to the interior, Henry finds himself in an average premium setup for five. At this price, extra attention to detail isn’t expected. The second 6-speed manual of the day graces the centre console while the lacking safety features don’t make a good impression. Other than that, it’s a simple cabin not too different from his old car. As he walks around to look under the hood, Henry notices the information board for the car. It’s a 2019 model. That explains the low price, Marshall’s trying to get rid of it for the incoming 2020 models. No sense buying a car that’s already out of date. Henry walks back out the door, cigarette already in his mouth, and lights up as he walks away.

@Mikonp7 Propeller Turbine

Propeller is a company Henry’s heard of before, making strange aircraft-inspired cars and he’s here to look at their Turbine model. The little silver station wagon stands out amongst the cars he’s looked at so far. The styling is modern yet classic, brash yet subtle, and overall pleasing to his eye. The aircraft inspiration is readily apparent from it and remind him a little of his time in the war.

Moving on to the interior before his mind wanders, Henry finds himself in a premium cabin for five with a build quality that is not spectacular. Stepping out to double check the information, he’s glad to see it’s a proper 2020 model year. After his experience at Marshall, the low asking price of $37,350 had him worried. Back inside, Henry admires the glass roof fitted to the Turbine and can appreciate the practicality that the wagon body style offers. Safety features are nothing special, but it has a 6-speed manual. Strange how similar the Turbine manages to be to the Raptor 3000 in terms of price and equipment. Satisfied for now, he pops the hood.

In the engine bay lurks a 32-valve turbocharged 4.0L DOHC V8. It’s rated at 205 hp and 442 Nm and should get the turbine up to 100 km/h in 7.3 seconds. So it’s very underpowered for its size. That’s strange. A quick look under shows a completely mundane design except for the active suspension. That’s a surprise. Deciding it should be alright, especially so far under his budget, Henry waves down a salesman for a test drive.

Starting up the engine gets him the quiet burble of the V8. Pulling out of the lot, the harsh bump jars his spine as a loud clang is heard from behind and the engine noise is suddenly much louder. Stepping out of the car, Henry sees that while the Turbine is in the street, most of its exhaust system is still on the lot. Time for a smoke. After a profuse apology by the salesman and a promise of a discount on a different model, Henry refuses the offer and walks away lighting another cigarette. Damn tin can exhaust, that’s how they made it so cheap.

@undercoverhardwarema Orion Minotaur 6100

The next place is the Orion dealership. Oh boy, this car. Henry can’t believe they’re trying to pass it off as a 2020, he had a run-in with one back in 2017 when it was new. A high speed chase after that loud and obnoxiously painted thing showed a massive aerodynamic flaw that led to the car flying off the road. When he pulled up next to the wreckage, the four circus contortionists were climbing out and surrendering to him and his partner. They truly were the only ones who could use the back seat in the small car. Smiling to himself at the memory of one of his strangest cases, Henry lights a cigarette and keeps walking.

@Chickenbiscuit Leviathan Automotive Epoch GT

A couple lots away is the Leviathan Automotive dealership. Henry walks inside and straight to the main display for the Epoch GT. He’s smiling again. This car is breathtaking. It’s not the most subtle thing in the world but it exudes class. The styling is very modern without being outlandish. All the little details can also kee wandering eyes happy for a decent amount of time. He’d love to stand around and admire it longer, but evening is quickly approaching.

Sitting inside the Epoch GT, Henry finds himself wrapped in a comfortable premium leather seat. Looking around, there are three more seats like it, along with the most advanced safety features on the market. Like the other low-slung coupes, it’s not the most spacious, but it’s comfortable and oh so stylish. The 6-speed sequential fits for the sportier design of the car. Let’s see what powers this thing.

Under the long hood rests a 48-valve turbocharged 4.3L DOHC V12. Leviathan claims it produces 477 hp and 509 Nm, and it should get the Epoch GT to 100 km/h in about… 3.6 seconds. Holy hell, this is a supercar. A $49,800 supercar. Henry lights a cigarette. This car’s looks are purely sensual, but those hide a ferocious beast. Too much. Maybe as a fun ride after the reward for his last case, but not now.

@NormanVauxhall Rudolf Motor United Super Six

With the shadows getting long and a slight pang of hunger, Henry enters the last dealership he’s planning on visiting: Rudolf Motor United. The Super Six stands on a podium as a centrepiece of the showroom. The design is quite classical but very stylish. It’s another of those cars filled with a lot of detailing to catch the eye in a cohesive package that simply works. Henry can see himself pulling up in style in a Super Six.

Climbing aboard, Henry finds himself in a cozy premium seat. This car also sports a rear bench and 7-speed sequential transmission. Safety features are nice but nothing special. Overall, a solid design that would make a good stakeout post, and plenty for the asking price of $47,550. The Super Six feels like a very practical overall package. Time to pop the hood and see if the engineering holds up.

The Super Six’s namesake is the 24-valve turbocharged 3.6L DOHC I6 that produces 273 hp and 443 Nm. A decent powerplant. Under the car, Henry spots some active suspension elements and an AWD system visible through the fully clad underbody. RMU’s engineers appear to have designed a well sorted car. That’s three passes so far, now on to a test drive.

Starting up the buttery smooth engine is as expected and slipping out into the early Friday rush hour traffic is predictable. The suspension is well tuned and the car can practically drive itself yet it still has a sporty side to it that many others lack. Driving up the Skyway, the turbo spools up quickly and while offering a decent kick it’s nothing excessive. A thoroughly enjoyable drive and a good way to end a day of car shopping. Henry returns to the dealership with the Super Six on his shortlist. Now it’s time to hail a cab, go home, have a stiff drink or five and consider the choices.

That’s all for reviews! A few stats:
Dealerships visited: 26
Cars test driven: 13
Cigarettes smoked: 30.5
Finalists: 6

Congratulations to all the finalists @Grandea @Der_Bayer @Lordred @TheRoadRunner36 @Chipskate @NormanVauxhall . Henry will have a hard time comparing the various designs that hope to be his next car.

Of course it’s now 1 AM here so I’ll write up the final showdown tomorrow morning. I realise I’m stretching beyond the three day limit a bit and I do apologise; I would have gotten started on the reviews earlier had I not tried waiting for the update. I hope this isn’t a serious issue.

21 Likes

Yeah, I feel like a made a Bond car and not one for a private eye. There’s a lot of nice designs going on overall. That grill on the Super Six is a work of art.

Bond car is a good way to put it. It looks great, too bad the performance is will beyond Henry’s requirements :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Oh well, I’m an idiot :laughing: So, bin because of a bypass valve and wall of torque? Would it pass without the valve but with the same torque curve?

CSR65 Final Showdown

It’s Saturday afternoon and Henry’s having a cigarette with a second coffee. After most of that bottle of scotch last night and the rest of his fresh pack of cigarettes, he’s had a rough morning. There are a lot of cars he had to drown away after getting home, but now it’s time to spread out his files on the finalists across his desk and get to work. He’ll want to be at the dealership bright and early Monday morning to get the car and make it to his office by 11 AM. This is going to be hard, as these six cars all have various pros and cons while following different approaches. Hmm…

@Grandea
The first car to get the axe is the Allistair Nighthawk Custom. It was tentatively put on his shortlist early on, but when compared to the cars that came after it, what shines through is its faults. It’s lacking in safety equipment and the performance is a little wild. Of all the cars on his shortlist, the Nighthawk Custom also has the highest service costs and they’re not offset by a low fuel economy. At that, Henry closes the files and sets his eyes on the next one.

@TheRoadRunner36
Truly painful, but the next car to be cut is the most beautiful one: the Maestro Baton Speciale. Henry would absolutely love to have this car, but for practical purposes it is simply not too good a partner for a private eye like him. It’s set to be the least reliable on the shortlist, something that could have possibly been improved had Maestro spent more on quality. This car was a decent margin below his price limit after all. Its small stature also made it the least comfortable and practical for passengers, even with the amazing equipment levels. Lighting another cigarette, Henry closes this file and sets it aside.

@Lordred
The next car Henry finds himself pondering over is the largest one remaining on his shortlist. The clear winner for passenger and cargo space. But right at the top of his price and fuel economy limits. The biggest drawback with this one is the safety features it lacks. A private eye’s job is not always the safest, so that’s a big concern. It was a nice car and a perfect one to turn into a mobile base of operations, but it simply doesn’t have the value of some of the others. Closing this file as well, Henry takes a long drag on his cigarette and finishes his coffee.

@Der_Bayer
So much debating going on in his mind. Henry finishes his cigarette and immediately lights another. The most expensive of the final three contenders. It’s a great car, it really is. One of the ones that could practically drive itself. But it’s also got the highest fuel economy at this point and is the only one without a full rear bench seat. Not like Henry ever needs to seat 4 passengers in his car, but the more sculpted rear bench for two is just more trouble. Really a shame to let this one go, but life’s all about those hard decisions. That’s another file being closed.

@NormanVauxhall
It wasn’t easy. Henry’s smoked another two cigarettes and mixed the rest of his bottle of scotch into another cup of coffee before finishing the internal debate on the last two cars. The Rudolf Motor Union Super Six is an amazing car. So why is he not going to buy it? The Holman Super Six exhudes the private eye aura he wants. The RMU is a more expensive car. It’s more drivable, more practical, sportier, more reliable, cheaper to maintain, and even slightly safer. But it’s still lacking in terms of safety equipment, has slightly higher fuel economy, and a much smaller trunk. All while costing $3000 more. The Holman Special Six is also the more comfortable choice with the most advanced technology. The Super Six should be the logical choice but it simply does not feel right for Henry. And so he closes the last two files and puts the stack away. Monday morning can’t come soon enough.

Monday, 8 AM. It’s a dark and overcast morning. Henry steps out of the cab at the Holman dealership, his bad knee throbbing in announcement of the impending rain. He’s already had an anticipatory cigarette and is ready to get his new car. He walks into the dealership and smiles as he sees the Special Six in the metal once again. His new car.

Enjoying the drive to his office and listening to some smooth new jazz, Henry knows he made the right choice. It’s almost 11 now and he gets a call from his receptionist through the Bluetooth. His client has arrived. Speeding up through the light traffic, the Special Six’s engine remaining as smooth and quiet as ever, he finally rounds the last corner and sees his office with a limousine parked out front. So it’s going to be one of those. Parking behind the limousine, Henry steps out of the car and lights a cigarette, enjoying the first drag. Time to get at it. After all, he’s Henry Maverick, Diesel City’s most recognised private eye.

Congratulations to @Chipskate for winning CSR65 and Henry Maverick’s heart!

25 Likes

I should have moved those quality sliders a bit. :man_facepalming: oh well, decently well for my first round. Congrats @Chipskate

It’s about time, and deservedly so. What a fun and refreshing round this one turned out to be!

Oh man, I did NOT expect that to happen :astonished:

Thanks to @thecarlover for hosting such a unique and fun challenge, it was a blast! :smiley:
Here’s my car, for those who are interested; most stats are about the same as they were before the update: CSR65 - Chipskate - Holman Special Six.car (52.5 KB)

I’m working on an idea for the next CSR right now, I’ll post a link in this thread when I’m done.

9 Likes

Congrats Chipskate on your win and for submitting such an impressive car! :sunglasses:

THREAD IS NOW LIVE:

6 Likes