The Car Shopping Round (Round 64): Tears in Heaven

Oh, I understand. I designed mine around keeping reliability up while making a decent amount of power. I set a few minimum requirements, specifically to drivability and comfort. The car’s expensive, but I don’t think I’ll make it as far in this round as I did in the last one. While I can make supercars/hypercars, they’re a bit out of my comfort zone.

Props to @rcracer11m for cramming a powerful engine in a tiny car, but I am not sure it will convince me if I were the round master due to the compromised reliability and turbo lag. Worse, it has only half the power of some competitors, but on the other hand, it’s really light, which should help with handling.

@strop managed a relatively flat torque curve with less lag. Oh, and he’s right about the pitfalls of using a body that’s too small. @Darkshine5 also faces the same problem, although his car’s engine has a flatter torque curve that kicks in sooner.

I wanted to use that body too, but two problems: 1) as you said, high outputs come with significant compromises 2) small cabins are cramped, and once a car is small enough, its stature as a supercar can be compromised unless it’s obviously a track monster (Radical, Atom etc.). Which we were explicitly told not to build.

I went for a body that I know can put out some incredibly stupid performance figures if everything’s done in its favor. Pitfall for me was making it look good, because an engine hanging out of the engine bay would likely have been a surefire way to end up in last place in the looks department. And once you’re playing “cover the engine” you discover all those messy lines and tears in the bodywork that have to be covered. Hence the Taipan’s overly ventilated hood. Though it does seem to make it look more aggressive, I doubt aggression at a standstill counts for anything.

##2006 Alpheim Reykjavic

Sport is the Game. Ruggedness is second. Design gets Bronze. Everything else goes after.

The Reykjavic, by Alpheim is a Sports machine made to be fun in adverse road conditions. Made and tested in Iceland by the best sheep Drivers we’ve got, and made for your excitement. Paint? Anything, even leopard print, or the brightest of pinks. We’ve made this comfortable but sporty, with touches of class and the burst of fire one needs to be proud, and go f*cking fast.

Making a very respectable 15.67l/100km, reaching 332km/h, a 0-100km/h of 3.2s, a quarter mile in 10.9s, and the green hell in 7:55.05s.

Order now for $154,000.

1 Like

Ahem mr @Madrias …Lawyers from ANZ are pointing out that the “taipan” is mysteriously close to the ANZ mulga with the ANZ’s taipan namesakes…And my other company DSD would like to see how close to the broadhead your model is…

All in good fun btw

1 Like

Looking for a daily - super car? Meet the Revera GTP 73. A super car that you can drive every single day of the year.

7.3 liters, 12 cylinders, all arranged in a V. Producing 755hp and 770NM of torque, which thanks to our new AWD system, translates into monumental thrust. The naturally aspirated V12 is a yardstick of smoothness and throttle response. But the GTP 73 is not all about its drivetrain. It features also a luxurious interior with hand stitched upholstery, kept simple without much fancy gadgetry inside, that will make the car look old after some years.

http://webm.land/media/rnTw.webm

11 Likes

Another beautiful car from Revera, not making it easy for the rest of us. :yum:

2 Likes

another proof that even when i’m putting my all into it, and thought it looked somewhat pretty-ish. someone will come around and smash me into pieces in the looks department.

let’s just hope i competed enough in the boom boom and zoom zoom department

Your Taipan and your Mulga both seem to change from supercars to common sleepers over the years. My Taipan is strictly a front-engine, AWD car, and it’s newer, though not as fast brother is the Mamba. Both the Taipan and the Mamba are powered by large-displacement twin-turbocharged V12 engines, feeding into double-clutch sequential gearboxes. Both the Taipan and the Mamba are AWD, front engine cars. As to the Broadhead, the only comparison is the aerodynamic frame.

Now consider that we are an American company, and not a small one, either, but we’d rather avoid stifling competition in the courtroom.

As you contacted us with this information, and our lawyers have looked over the noted complaints and found the similarities to be in name only, and on opposite sides of the world, for two completely different markets, we would prefer that you pay the court costs in this disagreement.

(Two can have fun in much the same way, and Storm Automotive isn’t afraid to play hardball, they just typically don’t see the point of stifling the market by quibbling over names and shapes. Unlike a certain infamous phone and computer manufacturer who routinely tries to stifle competition over such things as rounded corners.)

2 Likes

Once again @asdren is on point with his car. I suspect it will be tough to beat - its front end reminds me of the Lexus LFA. However, he added an extra pair of cylinders (12 vs 10) for good measure, and basically used the same idea as I would have if it weren’t for my decision to save weight with a smaller body, except that his car’s engine is at the opposite end.

one day left and there no sign for other entries especially from @strop

I’m having design difficulties, leaving it down to the last minute xD

Actually it’ll have to be today, I don’t have time tomorrow. I’ve not had much time this week. It’s just the final few fixtures that I’m agonising over.

There’s 16 hours and 35 minutes left for submissions.

1 Like

Whelp, time to finally enter my entry.

Dragotec Rapier

I went more for a luxury GT this time, since it’s supposed to be dailied, while being capable to hold its own on a track. I really loved the shape of this body, so stuck to it, and I hope thecarlover will enjoy it aswell. One major pain was the limitation it put up with the spoiler though, but ohwell.

edit: oops, looks like cooling glitched on these screenshots, the average reliability is supposed to be 73.4, with sportiness and prestige dropping .1

6 Likes

lol nice ad, that’s a novel approach.

Have you tried Razyx’s wings? Particularly the whaletail, it may have suited your rear bodywork… had it fit. I don’t know if it’d fit.

Thanks! And I tried his arco wing, it looked somewhat odd to me on the car, not sure what you mean with the whaletail though.

of the entries so far, it looks to be a close ass fight

I’ll bring it up when I get the time, but right now I’m a bit squeezed!

Right, finally, entry time. I’ve been trying to squeeze two deadlines: one, a presentation for the unit meeting, and this. Guess which one I finished first :joy:

In this day and age, Canada has, and continues to do well to stay well away from the brooding international instabilities. Whatever its residents say about the vagaries and incompetencies of its local politics, the rest of the world round, it enjoys a reputation for being a mostly progressive, peaceful country of sprawling diversity from which few evils have spawned (considering nobody knew who Justin Bieber was yet…). By extension, Canadians as a people are thought to be a far cry from their larger-than-life, chest beating counterparts south of the border with the notable exception of ice hockey.

How then, to market a supercar that confidently declares itself a supercar in capability and presence, yet remains unpretentious and friendly to both people and environment?

Completely fictional manufacturer from a presumably European country, Empyrean, presents the technological counterpunch to that Teutonic bus of yesteryear, the Infernus!

For a progressive businessowner comes a progressive car years ahead of its time, for years to come. Finally in the flesh nearly twenty years since conception, this is a car rooted deep in supercar values, but evolved with highly advanced technology that grants it a versatility never before seen. For the driver, the twin turbo 6.2L V12 engine has a specific output exceeding 100hp/liter, yet delivers flat torque through its very wide powerband from under 3k rpm all the way to its redline of 8800rpm so you’ll never be left short-shifted. The transmission is a highly advanced AWD with new electronically controlled torque vectoring, catapulting it from 0-62mph in 2.5s, the quarter mile in 10 seconds flat, and breaking 300km/h at the kilometer onto a top speed of over 380km/h. This car is one of the first to feature active aerodynamics and active suspension, harnessing extra control and downforce when pushing to the limits, exquisitely tuned to pull an unprecedented 1.3g on the skidpad while keeping rock steady.

But this is far from only a road monster. For the everyday person, the suspension is capable of raising the ride height at speeds of up to 50km/h for all the bumps and uneven surfaces. The fuel economy is simply unheard of in a car with this unparalleled performance, at over 24mpg. We would be surprised if a car this fast and this well-appointed was this economical within the next ten years. Pair this with a high quality interior and a full suite of driving aids, and you have yourself the city supercar that turns heads, the highway supercar that can cruise endlessly in addition to the most capable road racer the world has seen outside of motorsports.

All this comes for a (frankly ludicrously unrealistic) 158600.

Empyrean: the Divine in motion.

9 Likes

Wow, @strop looks great a truly classic super-car look and those figures certainly look very challenging to beat! @Dragawn I’m digging the look of that. Really puts a really distinctive look I haven’t ever really seen on that body style before. Another beautiful design @asdren with a very formidable power-train to back it up! I just hope my design can put up a good fight. Speaking of which I forgot to submit my rotating gif for my design.

11 Likes