Current Round master: conan
Current Round Rules: The Car Shopping Round (Round 64): Tears in Heaven - #9915 by conan
This will hopefully be a little ongoing entertainment in which different people can take the reins of the thread, a la ‘Guess That Car’, or VicVictory’s ‘Pay It Forward’, except with a difference. Think of it as similar to pyrlix’s ‘Car Theme Challenge’ except the premise is, um, ‘individualised’.
One day, for whatever reason, you find yourself in need of a vehicle. You know a certain degree about what it is you would like in a car, but you’re not entirely sure what your options are, or which one you’re going to buy.
It’s time to go shopping!
(come to think of it I could do with a bit of a Roald Dahl binge right about now…)
How It Works:
- Each round is controlled by a Round Master. They’re the one who sets the challenge. It’s like being the Card Czar of Cards Against Humanity
- Everybody else enters a car and posts the relevant pictures and stats on this thread
- The roundmaster can specify the duration of the round, up to seven days (and no longer unless they have special permission)
- At the end of the deadline, the Round Master has strictly up to 72 hours in which to post their writeup along with a list of the top three cars, with the exception of a publicly posted request for extension and the overwhelming majority like 80%) being in favour of it, pending further requests for extension.
It’s as simple as that!
The Round Master’s role:
- (Optional) Describe who you are and why you need a car. It can be as true to life or as fictional as you want it to be. Or you can skip this step entirely
- Specify a sale year. You do not have to specify a model or trim year, only the sale year. This applies especially if you’re, say, buying second hand, or you’re willing to look at slightly older models.
- Describe the kind of car you want, or the function it has to perform. You can be as vague or as specific as you like about the conditions, but try to be reasonable
- Also give a list of the aspects you consider important in the car, be it price, reliability, looks, etc. Since you’re shopping, it’s your choice, and it’s inherently subjective
- Specify a budget. And by budget, we mean here the car’s sale price
- May not change the conditions of the round once the first car has been posted
- Once the deadline has passed, declare the winner, and pass the crown of Round Master onto the next user
- Must indicate whether or not they would be able to host the next round when submitting a car. This is an opt-out thing: if you say no it won’t preclude you from winning, but it will preclude you from hosting the next week, which is useful for us to know when, say, you’re in a busy period of your life.
- May ask questions of the Round Master to their satisfaction. In fact they may find it pertinent to clarify everything before making their car
- Should make one post to present their car on the thread
- May talk up their car if they so wish, or explain how it fits in with their company’s brand etc. etc. (optional)
- Must post a screenshot of their car’s appearance
- Must post a screenshot of the Market tab clearly displaying the car’s sale price and appropriate sale year (and trim year if specified)
- Must post a screenshot with any of the relevant criteria as specified by the Round Master
- May submit ONE car only. Once you have submitted your screenshots, you may not change your car
- Unless otherwise stated, no Barth bodies. They’re specifically designed for ridiculous morphs and chesty engine bay sizes and don’t constitute feasible, realistic bodies for real cars.
- Obviously don’t cheat. If anybody calls you out for stats that don’t make sense, you must either amend the figures, attach your car to the thread, or send your car to the Round Master for perusal. If this does not resolve the conflict before the deadline, I will ask you to PM the car to me directly. If the conflict is still not resolved by that point, or I rule unfavourably, you will be disqualified from that round and the subsequent round
- If the Round Master does not declare a winner within 72 hours of the deadline, no extension has been granted and/or the Round Master has been silent for over 48 hours, they will be assumed absent, and the job of hosting the next round will be passed onto the next available runner-up of the previous round
- The requirement to indicate whether you are able to host is so the Round Master can compile a list of not only the people whose cars the host likes, but also a list of people who can be quickly called upon to host.
- Therefore, while the ability to host the next round should not be prejudicial for whether the host likes the car or not, it is at the host’s discretion. Ideally, the host should compile a list that includes the winner and/or at least 3 eligible hosts. The list may be longer if the host wishes and include other non-eligible entries.
- Finally, it is at the host’s discretion to limit the number of reviews they write per round. This will not be a very popular action, but it’s really hard to write meaningfully for 40 cars as is now happening. For this to be fair, the host should specify how many reviews they’re going to write, or in what format, before the start of each round. It doesn’t have to be a number, it can be “top half” or “up to 20”. For example, you could say: “I’ll cut the cars I dislike with one sentence, write short blurbs for the top half, and full reviews for a short list of maybe half a dozen”. Or you could say “I’ll write the lot in detailed story form” (but don’t run late!) Be sensible and know your limits.
- Note that stating you can host is a commitment of sorts. If you state you can host and then you renege, you will be barred from participating in that round. I assume the extenuating circumstances that cause you to be unable to host would be enough that you would not be able to anyway, so this should not be an unreasonable penalty.
- Please do not tag anybody in posts about results of a round as it constitutes a spoiler . We thought that muting notifications would be enough to work around it but that turns out to be too clunky for too many people, so this is simpler.
To Summarise the Rules
- Round Master specifies what they’re shopping for and picks duration of round (up to 7 days), and, if they intend to limit the number, how many reviews they will write and how
- Users submit one car with screenshots to the thread and PM to Round Master, specifying if they are available to host the next round or not. This shouldn’t affect how the Round Master judges the car but there’s no rule against this happening, however if this will happen then Round Master should declare so from the outset or there will be complaints, it’s common sense!
- Round Master must at least pick the winner and/or an ordered list of at least 3 users who are available to host. The list can be bigger, but not smaller
- The top eligible host must then host or be barred from participating in the next round, this applies to all eligible hosts if the user above them bails
- If no judgement is reached with the following conditions: 72 hours post deadline and 48 hours silence from host or no extension granted, then we go straight to user poll only with cars fully displayed on the thread before deadline. If we are halfway through reviews and there are meaningful results (i.e. cars have been cut) then we may proceed from where the host left off.
- Dragawn → strop
- Rk38 & koolkei
- phale ->Kubboz
- Leonardo9613 → rcracer11m
- phale → abg7
- strop holy fucking shit finally
- Leedar → HighOctaneLove → Dragawn
- AirJordan → gridghost
- NormanVauxhall → Leonardo9613
- enryGT5 → phale
- TheElt → conan
- NormanVauxhall → accent
- kubboz → Der Bayer → asdren → titleguy1 → goblin95 → Mr.Computer → abg7
- nialloftara → dragawn
- strop → theElt
- NormanVauxhall → Leonardo9613 → koolkei → conan