The Car Shopping Round (Round 64): Tears in Heaven

Holy mother of headlights!

1 Like

what’s wrong with them :smiley:

I recognise that body, and I suggest you reread the wheelbase requirement on the rules.

looks at the I4 hatchback I was working on before

…ehhehh heh heh :sweat_smile:
No not-Civic by Tare for this, then :sweat_smile:

So, we’re actually talking about something like a MX5/Miata, just a sporty little funbomb? :smiley:

I’ve noticed a body with a wheelbase of 2.57m I considered for this. Would 7 cm more cause scratches on the fenders?
Also, what about the length?[quote=“EnryGT5, post:3728, topic:6447”]
I can’t afford the insurance costs of a large engined, or too powerful car,insurance gets insanely expensive, insanely quickly. A 200hp car would be very hard to insure at 19 years old.
[/quote]
Any hint for the upper limit of displacement? My wild guess would be “the smaller, the better”. Though, I had something with 2.7 liter in mind :grin:

Also, how about limited production stuff?

1 Like

Here’s What I’m Currently Thinking of: http://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/kitchener-waterloo/2004-chevrolet-aveo-hatchback/1199833228?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

i don’t think of “fun” and “Chevy Aveo” much together

Under or equal to 2.50m

this is 2.57 m

Yes and 2.57 is over 2.50

1 Like

i use the same supra like body too :smiley: and some dude said i should re read the rules

he ain’t the round master. under 2.5 or nada.

2.57>2.50

@lordvader1

anyway, this is what i’m working with ATM. nice little coupe

i got 7 days to fix it. im too lazy to do it now

Just in case anyone is wondering the maximum budget for each year is as follows:
1995: $15579
1996: $15111
1997: $14658
1998: $14218
1999: $13791
2000: $13378
2001: $12976
2002: $12587
2003: $12209
2004: $11843
2005: $11488
2006: $11143
2007: $10809
Hope thats helpful to some of you.

13 Likes

Does the maximum budget include the 20% markup?

By the way @Darkshine5 the country depends on the company I am representing in the current round.

And considering how the depreciation calculations work out, do they actually make it easier for us to build older cars?

question what country are you based in? Just for company lore

IIRC Seishido is based in Japan, factory situated near Mt Haruna.

3 Likes

BOOM! Blast onto the scene with the 1995 Dynamite D4 Light SUV! Don’t think it looks like much?

Think again. That, coupled with a 5 speed stick and all-wheel-drive, is your claim to fame. Sure, cast iron’s heavy, and 3 valves per cylinder’s old-school, but it’s an inline 6! And it gets you 30+ MPG!

With totally-independant suspension at all four corners, the D4 quite happily will bound over roads, curbs, through the yards of your neighbors’ homes, and even off-road, should you so choose to do so! Nothing will stop you, except the all-wheel disc brakes!

With four seats, you don’t have to decide which of your three friends you like the most, and the rear bench seat is perfect for other purposes, because no one wants a shift knob up the arse! Available in loud colors such as Atomic Orange and Blast Blue, you’ll never lose your D4 in a parking lot!

Buy your car from Dynamite Motors! More bang for your buck!

9 Likes

Practical and reliable, yet sporty and vivacious, the WMD Xelum 1.6 Coupe was one of the best affordable sports coupes of the mid-90s.

This entry-level example is finished in Light Yellow, and with its purposeful front fascia looks better than you might think. The standard interior included a tape deck and an advanced safety suite.

The engineering behind this car was top-notch - rear-wheel drive, vented disc brakes at each wheel, a six-speed manual with a mechanical LSD, all-independent suspension (double wishbones up front and a multilink rear), combined with corrosion-resistant steel construction with some alloy panels, ensured that the Xelum 1.6 is not only fun to drive, but less prone to corrosion than some contemporaries.

Under the hood of this car is a 1.6-liter all-alloy, dual-overhead-cam straight four incorporating VVT, VVL, individual throttle bodies for each cylinder, forged internals and high-flow intake and exhaust systems (with high-flow three-way catalytic converters on the latter). All this cutting-edge tech (for the era; we take them mostly for granted now) yielded over 150 bhp (achieved using 91RON regular unleaded) and a redline of 8000 rpm, both of them impressive numbers in 1995, and yet this engine is quite reliable for something built in this era. More importantly, though, the wide rev range, linear power delivery, raspy induction roar and crisp throttle response are a revelation to anyone more familiar with today’s quieter, lower-revving turbocharged engines.

Considering that this car weighs just over 1.2 metric tons, that 150-horsepower engine would have been good for a top speed of over 140 mph and 0-60 in a shade under 8 seconds - quite good for the era. And with a rear-biased weight distribution - unusual among compact cars back then - you’ll have no trouble at all living out your drift dreams.

Originally, this car had a post-markup sticker price of $15240 - just under the budget limit for entries built in 1995. However, by 2019, it is expected to have depreciated to well under 7500 euros. Given that many good examples of this trim level still survive today, now is the time to get one!

1 Like

now that’s one unique approach…