The Car Shopping Round (Round 64): Tears in Heaven

Congrats to @oppositelock :slight_smile: and thanks @DeusExMackia for the excellent reviews!

I love the Car Shopping Round :D, can’t wait for the next round. @strop another shout out to you for the great idea.

3 Likes

Bugger…bugger…bugger…bugger…bugger…bugger…bugger…bugger…bugger…bugger…bugger…bugger…

Once again FOA have let ourselves down by not reading everything properly…we now have a vacancy for a mathematically competant barrister…

Bugger…bugger…bugger…bugger…bugger…bugger…bugger…bugger…bugger…bugger…bugger…bugger…

Anyway…gratz to the winner…

3 Likes

Congrats OppositeLock! I was so close this time :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: I’m looking forward to the next round as well.

Great reviews @DeusExMackia, looks really nice, another great round :slight_smile:

@Sillyworld when I saw your car Nobel m400 came to my mind… coincidence? :smiley:

And was 47 drivability really that bad? Not even enough to get an honorable mention? :stuck_out_tongue:

The driavbility wasn’t the issue for me, it was the ratio of drivability to sportiness, just a little too high really.
But, as a race car, I can see the Mist having an excellent future :smile:

Ah, I see. Thanks for the advice, I will definitely take it into account in the future :wink:

:open_mouth: A mere coincidence, I never knew that car existed, but I can see why you see the resamble!

1 Like

Wonderful variety in this round. I wonder what would happen if somebody pretended to be, for example, a free lancer courier or delivery guy or tradesperson needing a utility or living in a completely wilderness environment etc. etc. etc.

What I’m saying is I would not at all be opposed to people pretending to be people they were not for the purposes of this exercise, if they so wished.

I must apologise to @DeusExMackia as I forgot to update the link to the rules in the original post for the entire week!

Well, my gamble on making a pukka muscle car didn’t work very well… I tried my best to make it handle but it’s hard to make a silk purse out of a sows ear! :grin:

Congrats @oppositelock on the well deserved win; making track day cars is a dark science and your alchemy was proven to reign supreme!!! :sunglasses::triumph::sunglasses:

Can’t wait to see what’s due in the next round! :smirk:

Don’t feel too bad, my efforts for a tame modern muscle car didn’t fare as well as I hoped either, doesn’t matter, it’s all in good fun.

1 Like

I enjoy trying to build left-field choices for this competition so that the competition stays edgy and fresh (at least for me, :grin:) but I was seriously pushing a big stone uphill with a 427ci Iron-blocked land barge against road registered racecars!

I badly underestimated @DeusExMackia’s desire for a razor, hoping to tempt him with a drag car that’ll look cool when cruising… But that’s what makes it fun; the day I win with a dark horse entrant will be a very sweet victory indeed!!! :heart_eyes:

Whoo hoo! Thanks to @DeusExMackia for a great round. I’ll try to have the new rules for you guys soon, but expect something a little bit different this time. Hint: Tell your corporate bean counters they’re working overtime.

Don’t you mean bright blue? :smiley:

1 Like

Hahaha, yeah, a bright blue horse is indeed a more accurate description! :laughing:

1 Like

Wow! The engineers/designers and builders from A.N.Z would like to humbly accept 5th place and congratulate all entrants. Special kudos go out to sillyworld, Asdren, thecarlover, oppositelock and their company’s for the amazing competition.

I would say persist with the left-field entries, they do liven things up quite a bit. You made a big impact with your left-field entry that pandered to my wink-wink-nudge-nudge hints, and if it had just had a bit more bang for the buck it could have taken first. But that’s the way these things go.

Absolutely. They helped to spice the competition up greatly.

congrats.
now. what could that mean…

and thx to @DeusExMackia for hosting this and the reviews.

Congrats to @oppositelock and thanks to @DeusExMackia !

I knew I should have put wider tires on smaller rims, oh well, lesson learnt. :relaxed:

Looking forward to the next round already! :grinning:

TCSR12: African People’s Car - 1982

Greetings! My name is General Charles Ndweke III, President and Benevolent Dictator-For-Life of the glorious African nation of Mumbojumbo. As part of my master economic plan, I have summoned the executives of various automakers to my golden palace to decide whom shall have the honor of building the very first car factory in my country. You must propose an automobile which will be well suited to the needs of my people, and must therefore meet the following criteria:

Maximum vehicle price of $8000 at 10% markup.
Build year 1982 only, no body older than 10 years.
Body style must be a hatchback, sedan or wagon.
Minimum seating of 4, but 5 or more is preferred.
Both the chassis and body panels must be rust resistant.
Engine must run on regular unleaded fuel (91 RON) and feature no less than one muffler.
No negative quality sliders.

Beyond these “hard” guidelines, remember your vehicle must be designed to operate in regions with extremely limited infrastructure. Although there are no strict restrictions, operating costs, fuel economy, reliability, off-road capability and comfort will all factor into my end decision.

And finally, as an avid motor racing enthusiast, I will personally drive every vehicle around a circuit of my choosing to assess how each one performs at the limit. Just because the car is inexpensive doesn’t mean your engineers shouldn’t take the time to carefully optimize the suspension settings, brakes, gearing and so on. As they say, the devil is in the details. Plus, it basically costs nothing!

Good luck, gentlemen!

SUBMISSION DEADLINE THURSDAY MAY 5TH

Accepted entries:

AirJordan
CadillacDave
Madrias
Sillyworld
HighOctaneLove
TR8R
BobLoblaw
Ornate
HowlerAutomotive
t3rr0rm4n
koolkei
Denta
asdren
rcracer11m
phale

Rejected entries:

The_Dziuras: Second revision still over budget. I’ll still do a review, but car is ineligible for victory.

Example vehicle: glhs386 - GSI Shrew.zip (88.7 KB)

8 Likes