The Car Shopping Round (Round 64): Tears in Heaven

I know, Ill post it in 8-9 hrs from this post

Alright, I’ve got an entry for you! I’ve also PM’ed you the Exported Product for your review.
(I apologize in advance, I am using US units in my description. Of course, you’ll be able to see it with your units of choice once you bring it into your file)

The car is

The 2016 Kirk Flauta!

img.photobucket.com/albums/v80/Carskick/Frontal.png
img.photobucket.com/albums/v80/Carskick/Side.png
Gorgeous! A hint of sleeper in the front, boy racer in the back, and class all around! Look and be practical and sporty all at once.

Design
img.photobucket.com/albums/v80/Carskick/Design.png
The 2016 Kirk Flauta is the car for you, Strop! In fact, anyone looking for a $30,000 sports car that can be used as a family sedan, this is for you! This particular variant has been spec ordered for Kirk’s dear friend, Strop.

Here we have a sporty hatchback, shown in our Vibrant Lime. It is built upon a very sturdy AHS Steel frame with an all Aluminum body. This makes for a high strength package, which is great for safety and reliability. Double Wishbone Front and MultiLink Rear Suspension give a tuned balance of extreme track sportiness, while still being comfortable on the road. The power plant is a high revving Aluminum Naturally Aspirated 3.7L V6. Power is fed through a 7-Speed Double Clutch Gearbox, which can operate in manual or automatic mode. This hatchback is no lightweight, but makes efficient use of it’s packaging. At just under 3650 pounds (1655kg), we had to work hard to make this family Hatch handle like nothing else. And we believe we’ve succeeded.

Overview
img.photobucket.com/albums/v80/Carskick/Overview.png

Balancing sportiness and drivability was a huge priority in this car. Anyone in the family can drive track day warrior. There are 4 modes the car can operate in: Automatic, Economy, Sport, Custom. Each mode tunes the suspension, transmission, and engine to meet what the name implies. Custom is a preset that users can tune themselves on the infotainment system. Active suspension, VVT settings, Geared Differential Tunes, Shift Profiles, Fuel System, TCS, and ESP are some of the things that can be adjusted with this feature.

We believe this platform gives a sense of “pure sports car”. The NA V6 has a very flat torque curve, which has at least 85% of maximum torque available between 2k & 8.1k RPM. The engine is centered longitudinally, and hooked only to the rear wheels with a geared differential. While there are electronic goodies and controls, they are fully defeatable and/or adjustable. The premium double clutch transmission can operate in 3 modes. Full manual uses a stick shift and petal clutch. Semi Automatic disconnects the shifter, where a computer takes over the double clutches, and you just use the stick or flappy petals as electronic shifters. Or just put it in full automatic, and the shifter simulates a PRND layout. This makes everyone able to drive the car based on how they choose.

That brings us to comfort. To keep costs and weight managable, we’ve not gone super plush with interior. Not that someone buying a sporty hatch would want too much luxury. We use good, high durability, but light materials, and design it to be comfortable for the family, as well as stain resistant and supportive. You’ll find enough to seat 5 comfortably. Even 6ft tall (183cm) people will have plenty of head and leg room in the back. And lets not forget about the easy to use child safety seat hookups.

On that note, Safety was a key priority in this car. Not only do you want to survive a 160MPH (257KPH) crash, should it ever happen, but you want your family to have no injuries in any normal accident. That’s why there are full side & curtain airbags at every corner. Extra structure is put into the doors to help in side collisions, and crumple zones have been tested and tuned multiple times to ensure minimal stress on your loved ones.

The Technology Package in this car has a Bluetooth/USB Infotainment system with full phone integration. The 9 Speaker Polk sound system provides Mid-Woofers and Tweeters at each of the 4 corners, and a 10" sub integrated into the floor of the trunk, nestled within the custom spare tire.

Engine
img.photobucket.com/albums/v80/Carskick/Engine.png
We are asking a lot out of this V6. Gobs of power and revs. Smooth and quiet operation when desired. Low emissions and fuel consumption. We needed every possibility accounted for. And we are very excited. Nearly 25MPG combined in a car that is 3650lbs is no small feat. Account for the 352 Horsepower @ 7800RPM, and it’s down right unbelievable. This is done without turbo, or spending ridiculous amounts of money. And to top it off, it’s reliable! While it doesn’t have burst a turbo gives, or the low end grunt a huge V8 gives, it has a linear, predictable, and down right fun powerband that is great to ‘wind out’!

Dyno
img.photobucket.com/albums/v80/Carskick/Dyno.png
The dyno shows what this engine is all about. Smooth, even delivery. 225-267ft-lb of torque available anywhere in the 2000RPM to 8100RPM range. Heck, with the torque and sturdy frame, this car might be down for some moderate towing! The 2500RPM to 6000RPM range is great for your daily fun. 120 to 310 HP throughout, and this is where the engine is at it’s most efficient. This is in part thanks to the seamless VVL and VVT, which if it were not for the gradual change in exhaust note between 4500 and 5500 RPMs, would go unnoticed. At low RPMs, the engine is subtle and subdued. But as you climb into the ‘fun’ range, that all changes. The angry sounding V6 screams all the way up to the 8200RPM red line, where valve float begins to limit power output. Eco mode limits the engine to only 7000RPMs, as fuel consumption past that is significantly higher. Who really needs more than 320HP anyways?

Track & Performance
img.photobucket.com/albums/v80/Carskick/Green%20Hell.png
So believe it or not, the sport tuned active suspension does unspeakable things on the track. One would have a hard time believe that this car is not AWD, does not have an electronic differential, weighs 1.8 tons, and does not have racing slicks. It sticks to the road unbelievably, and that’s without super aggressive down-force, though the adaptive wing helps make up for this as needed, or perfect weight distribution. But the 56F/44R RWD monster glides through the turns. With 245/35R18 in the front and 245/35R18 in the rear, these custom Toyo Tires have incredible grip. This plus the incredible active suspension system creates pure magic around the Green Hell track, completing it in 8:20. It also ties a Jaguar F-Type S on the airfield at 1:21.

While 0-60 in 5 seconds flat may not be super impressive, doing that without Launch Control with only RWD in a car of this weight is. And there are only 265s in the back. But it continues on to pull a 13.26s in the quarter mile @ 111mph. Fun, but that’s not what this car is about. It’s about winding through the mountain roads with your family. Or going to your local race track and showing up Mitsubishi Evos in a cheaper, heavier, RWD hatchback. But most of all, it’s about Strop forgetting that his Civic ever existed!

Market
img.photobucket.com/albums/v80/Carskick/Market.png

Sorry Strop, we are a little over your budget. But not much! Kirk believes that the extra dollars to make a couple of tweaks to make this car perfect for you is worth the $31,100. Plus, that price (5% markup) allows us to include a 5 Year 60,000 Mile Bumper to Bumper and a 8 Year 80,000 Mile Powertrain Warranty. Plus, we’ll cover your first 30,000 miles worth of maintenance.

So Strop, when would you like yours delievered?

nooooooooooooooo i discovered a huge fault on my car
 and no revisions :frowning:

also. ^ that is a VERY nice engine. flat torque and constantly climbing powerband.

What was the fault in yours koolkei? I won’t necessarily amend it, but I can comment on it.

i used partial alu panels instead of full alu panels because i forgot it’s 2016
 and it’s not a limited production thing anymore.

price dropped from $31K to sub $28K. minor penalty here and there, big bump to sportiness, prestige, fuel consumption. dangitzzzz
car changed from good to good-er

so i lost my will to write an ad/lore. just just
 here’s the car.

1 Like

@ carskick Technical question. How did you manage a stick shift with a double clutch? Is it some electronic trickery that simulates a clutch and changing of gears? Because I believe a double clutch can only be a sequential due to how it works.

Cheers - Racer13

Hello! So just letting you know right now that I would love to type up a paragrath like everyone else but I don’t have time atm so here is pretty much all of the stats that you could ask for. :smiley:

The car Is called the Ozo (Prononced O-zo)

Just letting you know the main focus: Design (If you couldn’t tell :sunglasses: )

Yeah I put a V12 in a hatchback, what you gonna do about it? :smiling_imp:

Also if you are quoting this post [size=200]delete all of the image links[/size] :smiley:

2 Likes

[quote=“Racer13”]@ carskick Technical question. How did you manage a stick shift with a double clutch? Is it some electronic trickery that simulates a clutch and changing of gears? Because I believe a double clutch can only be a sequential due to how it works.

Cheers - Racer13[/quote]

Good question

It’s based on a theoretical design I’ve been working on IRL for years, but don’t have the resources to test it or make it happen.

Conceptually, it’s pretty simple. Start with a regular manual transmission which requires two inputs to change gears; clutch and shifter.

The clutch would be actuated automatically by an upgraded hydraulic system, which could disable itself to allow the user to use the clutch. A simple computer controlled pump would do this. I would likely have a second clutch on the output shaft to allow for quicker shifts, similar to double clutch sequential transmissions.

The shifter would have a connection rod like normal, but it would go into a electronic box, where the movement of the rod by the user can provide input to the computer, and the computer can change the layout of the shifter as needed. The electronic box would then move the connection rod from itself to the actual transmission to actual move the gears, as a person would. This would likely tie into the same hydralics that actuate the clutch, giving a single fluid for the owner to service.

The computer would then be programmed with the knowledge of how to move the shifting rod to move the gears, how much pressure to apply to activate/deactivate the clutch, etc.

Once this is done, simulating Full Manual, Full Auto, or Semi Automatic is easy. The shifter would move in a PRND fasion in full auto, and the electronic receiving box would know which mode to use, and act acordingly. In Semi-Automatic mode, the shifter would have PRND±, and then paddle shifters could also control it. Clutch still wouldn’t do anything. Full manual mode would have the shifter simulate a standard shifting layout, in this case a 7 speed plus reverse, with neutral in the middle. The clutch would then act as a standard hydraulic clutch, only actuating the input clutch, not the output clutch.

This is an invention I’ve wanted to come up with for years. But without some funding, the right equipment, and a team, it will remain theorteical until someone else makes it! :laughing:

Soo if I got this right basically you would want to make a double clutch gearbox with an electronic shifter and clutch which can pretend to be manual? Shouldn’t be too hard asides from making the input clutch feel realistic, the output clutch having a “middle” position and some good software. Good idea, but could see this system lagging and having some bugs though. This is something you could try doing in your garage some day if you have the software skills.

(sorry for going off topic)

I’ll throw my hat into the ring.

Would be a lot quicker if I put some 245 tyres on it, but wanted to stick to 50 profiles.
The Ad’s a bit rough and ready so apologies, I was running out of time. I’ll set up some templates in illustrator when I get round to it. Haven’t had time to do a logo yet either.

Anyway first post so hi everyone, your cars all look great.

1 Like

Hey Strop :slight_smile: are you planing on only telling us “ok my money goes to SpecialSomeone
” or can we expect more like little reviews of each car of test drives
maybe a (good night) story of how you chose a new ride :wink: What’s the plan?

[quote=“rapidbacon”]I’ll throw my hat into the ring.

Would be a lot quicker if I put some 245 tyres on it, but wanted to stick to 50 profiles.
The Ad’s a bit rough and ready so apologies, I was running out of time. I’ll set up some templates in illustrator when I get round to it. Haven’t had time to do a logo yet either.

Anyway first post so hi everyone, your cars all look great.[/quote]

Wohohow, where did you come from so suddenly? :stuck_out_tongue:
Liking the car and nice ad! Where did you take the interior from?

Well I’ve got 370 hours on the game, and have been playing along with challenges for a while. Thought it might be a good idea to finally take off the lurker hat and contribute.

Glad you like the car and the ad. I’d like to do a proper brochure at some point in the future.

The interior is from a civic, it’s the first image to come up if you google ‘honda civic front’. Here’s a quick cut-out.

[quote=“rapidbacon”]Well I’ve got 370 hours on the game, and have been playing along with challenges for a while. Thought it might be a good idea to finally take off the lurker hat and contribute.

Glad you like the car and the ad. I’d like to do a proper brochure at some point in the future.

The interior is from a civic, it’s the first image to come up if you google ‘honda civic front’. Here’s a quick cut-out.
[/quote]

Yeah, figured you had to be experienced :slight_smile:
Anyways, welcome to the forums! And thanks for the pic

@carskick From the sounds of what you have explained, it sounds a bit gimmicky. I’m not saying it wouldn’t require a lot of work, but I personally can’t see the advantage. If you have a double clutch system it will be infinitely faster than a stick, and can be programmed to do any number of things that you could do with a stick, and it will do it better and faster every time. My fathers TTS with a double clutch box auto-blipped the throttle on down and up shifts. If a stick is simulated electronically and I know it it doesn’t seem much better than just being a sequential. It’s a lot of stuff to be calculated, so it will probably slow it down even more. The point of stick anymore these days is to be more involved and at one with the car, and if it’s all electronically simulated what’s the point?

Thanks for your interest and feedback. A couple of things

This transmission wouldn’t necessarily shift any faster than a DC sequential. Probably not necessarily worse either in full or semi-auto mode. However, many people prefer a traditional manual transmission with a controllable clutch. This would allow one to have a true manual transmission with a real clutch and shift action, while able to switch to a sequential style transmission on demand. Furthermore, because it’s a manual, gears could be skipped. If you are in 6th and punch it, the transmission could go right to 6th instead of having to go through 4 other gears as with a sequential.

The two big issues would be:

• Could it shift as fast as a sequential
  • Could the shifter provide good feedback in manual mode

If the answer were yes to both of these, then this transmission could easily be better than sequential because of it’s versatility. If not, then it would be an option for some, but not an end all. However, if it shift faster than a torque converter auto, but slower than DC sequential.

At any rate, it’s a theoretical transmission with a lot of ifs, but that’s the concept of it. It could potential allow the best of all worlds in one transmission in best case scenario, and a fun look what my car can do at a worse case. But it’s a fictional care in a fictional game, and if I want it to, it can!

Edit: As a side note, sequential transmissions already have limited use in production models due to various reason, ie smoothness, reliability, weight, cost, etc. The technology I’m proposing may remedy some other non-sporty applications as well.

Wow OK things for interesting on the final day. If I remember correctly, entries shut at the end of the Automation day.

It’ll take me a day or so to finish processing the entries. To answer AirJordan’s question, there will indeed be a story. Given how many entries I have, it’s going to get pretty long.

Carskick, does this mean your shifter is not H pattern, but more of an up/down stick? I feel you’ve touched upon an idea that lurks around in some minds but is not frequently discussed due to just how polarising the manual thing can be. Some GG builds require the use of an additional clutch input despite the sequential transmission too, but for somewhat different reasons than the ones you provide, so you can be sure to see comment on this.

I’ve got rapidbacon, DoctorNarfy and UMgaming’s pms sitting in my inbox, so will process them shortly.

One last entry to finish things off!

In 1997, Rado introduced the Rado Hatch-7, their first economy car with more than 3 doors in 42 years.
It was as dull as an unsharpened pencil, until things were spiced up when the GTS version was released in 2000.

Anyway, this is the 2015 GTS version. In April 2015 the Rado Hatch-7 finally went out of production.
In that time, it went through a few refreshes, most notably dropping the horrible 1.8L 14 in 2008.
This one has AWD and a 1.7L Turbo I4, with 255 hp and 198 ft-lb (268 Nm) of torque.
The cranky old used car guy imported it from the US, so as a result the interior is smelly.
0-60 is done in 6.3 seconds, 50-75 in four seconds. Sale price is $22995.

1 Like

Strop, I feel it’s worth asking. Is there going to be any sort of “cool down” period after each round. What I mean is are the winners of each round going to have to wait a round or two after their challenge before they can enter again so we don’t have the same two winners every two weeks. It was never brought up, but I feel it’s worth addressing.

um
they can’t?
like. the winner becomes the one that decides the next theme and rules and such

how are they suppose to win if they are the rulemaster again?

unless you mean, he wins, he did his version, someone else won, and he won the next one again