The Equestrian Motor Company- On the Wings of Excellence

Okay, first of all, elephant in the room: Yes, the name is based on My Little Pony. Get over it.
Incorporated in 1986 in Halifax, Canada, the EMC was formed around the goal of proving that Canada could prove themselves a competitor in the global auto market. But the world’s economy had other ideas, and EMC faded away following Black Monday…until 2013, when a yet-to-be-identified private interest group revived the shell of a company and started producing car designs.
THE 2015 EMC LINEUP:

EMC Magic

The EMC Magic is an interesting breed. Our not-quite-sedan, not-quite-hot-hatch is powered by a 4.0L turbocharged straight six making around 400 horsepower and good for 175MPH thanks to a six-speed sequential AWD gearbox. Inside, you’re treated to a leather interior, and 80’s style violet LCD gauges. The Magic is our dedicated tarmac rally car, designed to take on the Mitsubishi Evo and Subaru Impreza STi.

EMC Angel

EMC Angel: For those who want a minivan, but still want to blend in amongst the hordes of crossovers. Loaded with enough safety features to make a Volvo look Chinese, the Angel is for the driver who always plays it safe. It’s green, too; the 2.6L twin-cam four-banger won’t get you a lot of power, but it’s good for 40mpg on the highway/motorway! But for those dads out there who are worried about their masculinity, don’t worry. It’s a turbo.
And boy, can this van take a beating. Most will be on the road long after their competition. Namely the Toyota Sienna and the Honda Odyssey. And best of all, a V6 is well on its way.

EMC Barnstormer

EMC’s foray into the muscle car market, the Barnstormer is for the older gentleman who always wanted a Dodge Charger or Chevrolet Corvette back in the 1960s, but just couldn’t find the money. Powered by a small-block V8 with a classic four-speed manual transmission (though a 5-speed is optional), the Barnstormer is designed to take on the new generation Chevrolet Camaro and Ford Mustang. There is an Achilles’ heel to the Barnstormer: no entry-level trim. None of this toned-down, V6-with-an-automatic rental car grade nonsense.

Given “Equestrian” is a word widely used since centuries before MLP (let alone MLP:FiM), I didn’t get the reference at first. But if you dropped the n, or referenced Canterlot or something… :stuck_out_tongue:

I notice the Magic seems more likely to capture the spirit of the days when WRX versus Evo was actually kind of bonkers, as opposed to the “grown up out of necessity” state that rivalry is in now, and therefore perhaps might target a different demographic. 80’s style violet LCD gauges oh my wow.

[quote=“strop”]Given “Equestrian” is a word widely used since centuries before MLP (let alone MLP:FiM), I didn’t get the reference at first. But if you dropped the n, or referenced Canterlot or something… :stuck_out_tongue:

I notice the Magic seems more likely to capture the spirit of the days when WRX versus Evo was actually kind of bonkers, as opposed to the “grown up out of necessity” state that rivalry is in now, and therefore perhaps might target a different demographic. 80’s style violet LCD gauges oh my wow.[/quote]
I was actually trying to fuse a BMW 1-Series with the Ford Typhoon (the engine is based on the Barra 270T), but once I made it AWD, I knew it would meet resistance from Evos and Soobies.

[Continued from first post]

EMC Diamond

We spent quite a while trying to figure out the target demographic for the EMC Diamond. We finally settled on “cigar-chomping stockbroker”, and went on to design a tribute to the outrageous designs of the 1950s. Corinthian leather upholstery, Rolex-designed instrument panel trimmed in blue suede. Power comes from a 390 cubic inch V8, but since most Diamond buyers have someone else do the driving, it doesn’t really matter.

EMC Firefly

There’s really not much to say about the EMC Firefly, because there isn’t much to it. A 454 cubic inch V8 sends power to the rear wheels via a 6-speed manual gearbox. Two seats, carbon fiber interior. The Firefly is a GT car, designed to take on the Chevrolet Corvette and Dodge Viper (sorry, SRT Viper.)

EMC Celebration

Another standout. The Celebration is, like the Angel, a family car for people who are too old-fashioned to join the new age crossover herd. Classic station wagon design, easy-to-clean leather interior, rear entertainment for the kids, the works.
Powered by a turbocharged 1.6L twin cam four cylinder connected to a FWD four-speed automatic gearbox, it’s got some pep in its step. Not a whole lot of station wagons left to compete with, but the Celebration will likely face stiff competition from full size sedans, such as the new Ford Taurus and Chevrolet Impala. We’ll need to upgrade the engine if we have any hope of selling this thing in Europe, so that will have to wait until 2016.

2015 EMC LINEUP- PAGE 3

EMC Songbird

A toned-down version of the Magic, but with the Diamond’s luxurious feel, the Songbird is our “affordable” luxury car. Marketed towards potential Cadillac and Lexus customers, it’s powered at the front wheels through the Angel’s 1.6L turbo four cylinder and four-speed automatic transmission.

EMC Switchback

This one was a real treat to design. If you’re on a budget but still want to turn heads, look no further than the Switchback. Ever since 2004, mid-engined sports cars have been a treat exclusively for the incredibly wealthy, as the only companies still making them are supercar builders like Ferrari. Not anymore.
Again using the 1.6L four cylinder, the Switchback has it connected to a 5 speed manual transmission (though a 4-speed auto is optional)
We’re not sure exactly what the Switchback will compete against, since Japan seems to have abandoned the concept of sports cars entirely in favor of hideous eco-bricks. Maybe we’ll have better competition from Europe’s hot hatches.

EMC Rancher

The Rancher was a tricky car to make. We needed a utility vehicle, but didn’t have access to any sort of pickup truck designs. So instead, we took the Celebration platform, made it body-on-frame, shoehorned a straight six and 4-speed automatic gearbox into it, powered all four wheels, and tada! The EMC Rancher! The back seats are removable to allow carrying of sheet goods, and the stout rear suspension supports up to 700lbs of stuff.
Four wheel drive, big tires, and high ground clearance means this car isn’t afraid to get dirty. But don’t think for a second that it can take on your neighbor’s WRX, or Cletus in his lifted Silverado. Nope, it’s just for tackling rough country roads.
And for those of you who like fill-ups to be a monthly ordeal, we have plans to make a diesel version.