The Face of the Update Design Competition (Final Results are up!)

The submission deadline has how passed. Thank you to everyone who entered!

12 Likes

This was an experience. Learned a metric ton of tricks, did my first ever interior, learned the photoscene along the way, and most (worst ?) of all :
Fifteen minutes before deadline, I finished my photo, exported and closed the scene. I check the renders…

…blurry. Not in a way I saw in the previews, raytraced or not.
So I had to rush out a new one because of course I didn’t care to save a preset (not that I had time to mess with it and find out if it works the way I think anyway). And submitted with less than 3 minutes left.
Also, the MG F body was very hard to work with as it is quite low poly, but a generic short wheelbase mattered most.
Here’s the blurry one if you’re interested, the other one will appear in the contest :

Fisher Manticore : 1992 British Sports Luxury lightweight roadster, front mid-engined, rear-wheel driven, perfect weight balance, less than 990kg, sporting a 2L 211hp V6 and a manual 5-speed gearbox. All for what I figure would be a bit more than a retail Boxster in 1996.
Everything you need from your sunday drive to your Central London commute. And of course it comes in green.

5 Likes

2005 Obsydia Noctyx R50

in hindsight this car probably should've been purple with all the dragon badges I have on it

12 Likes

Well, I missed the deadline because I’m an idiot who can’t work out time-zones. This is what I was going to submit anyway - I call it the Silverfish V6R (meaning a V6 (obviously) RWD):

If anyone’s wants it, here’s the .car file:
Silverfish_-_V6R.car (76.7 KB)

5 Likes

It looks good enough at first glance, although the proportions are a bit too close to that of a similarly sized hatch for my liking. However, if engineering were being judged, its antiquated 8-track player would have put the client off straight away, and the use of standard springs with a high spring rate drags the comfort level down even further. Still, it’s not a bad first try aesthetically.

2 Likes

Pre-judging of the entrants is now complete!

We have narrowed the field down to ten finalists, from which we will choose the winner. Join Killrob, Isaac and myself for the final judging video soon!
26 Likes

Have we got any news?

8 Likes

The final judging videos are in production! We had a bit of a delay because of the unforeseen changes we needed to make in the upcoming beta patch release, and meant we’ve had to focus on our core activities pretty much exclusively - that being, getting the game done!

Rest assured, we should see some results soon!

12 Likes

Update 2: electric boogaloo?

3 Likes

Just putting the finishing touches on the judging videos.

13 Likes

Final Results are here!

Roundtable is still uploading, it will be up shortly.

Congratulations to all the finalists, and a big congratulations to our winner! For those who are wondering, only the finalists got scored in a detailed manner, but every entry got a pre-judging score, based on the submitted photo. Here are the pre-judging scores:

16 Likes

Super happy my car got the win! Also was a fun way to go back to a nameplate I started Tristella with, and now it’ll be part of the game. Congrats to all the other finalists as well, a good looking crowd and wouldn’t have mind seeing the other cars regularly either.

Of course, seeing my own creation there for the game I have the most hours in is definitely going to be quite special, so thank you @MrChips and the Automation team for hosting this!

18 Likes

Ah wow, I’m in the last place :laughing:.
Although I have hoped for the best, I am not at all surprised that I came last. It was my first try at 3D fixtures, I wouldn’t even tried to mess around with that stuff, but this competition put me out of my comfort zone, and taught me how to deal with it at least in a basic level. And I’ve had much fun creating it, and have a cool car to drive around in BeamNG :grinning:.

6 Likes

Your car is a truly deserving winner - it looks ace in any color, especially the bright orange you chose - but many of the other entries, including the rest of the top 10, made a strong case for themselves as well. As for the '04 Corvus, it would serve as a great addition to Tristella’s lore, particularly after the latest batch of game updates.

Anyway, I can tell from the pictures that this generation of Corvus is mid-engined, just like its successors. So what body exactly did you use? My guess is it’s the smaller of the two S7-esque body mods (with a wheelbase of ~2.5m). As for the engine, what configuration and aspiration type did you use, how much power and torque does it make, and is it mounted transversely (as in an Elise/Exige, MR2 or NA1/NA2 NSX) or longitudinally (as in a Boxster, 360 or Gallardo)?

1 Like

Thanks!

For the car, it does use the 2.5m S7 body, with a turbocharged 2.0l i5 mounted transversely. Made around 300hp when it was submitted.

Your decision to use a straight-5 fits right into Tristella’s lore - they’ve used 5- and 10-cylinder engines almost exclusively for much of their history. And the reason you went for the '95 S7 body set becomes clear - it’s very versatile, with lots of morphing zones that have a wide adjustment range; one such zone allows you to move the cabin back and forth (for front- and mid-engined builds respectively).