The Great Archanian Trek - Offroad Endurance and Historical Showcase

The Great Archanian Trek

Work in progress

Introduction

The Great Archanian Trek is an offroad endurance race through the wilderness of Archania, open to amateur and professional drivers. Professional teams can enter a regulation vehicle. Amateur drivers and manufacturers can enter with modified road cars or historical Dakar/Baja/Offroad vehicles.

The stages are long and of varied terrain, but generally accessible terrain. Offroad modifications are a must, but even modified production cars should be able to make the finish line in the amateur class.

Racing conditions

Dust, back breaking potholes,unclear paths, unexpected obstacles, unreliable logistics. Rather than speed or performance, the main determining factors will be reliability, economy, offroad drivability, comfort and engine drone - although of course actual speed will get you there faster when the terrain allows.

Competition

More a showcase than a race, I must admit. The best designs will be featered in The Mud Flap (a The Exhaust Note sub-publication) style article.

That means that aesthetics, character and lore matter. But race events and times will be reported in this thread itself. So even more basic builts will be given attention in the thread itself. The focus might be more on the showcase than the actual winning of the race, but there will be an actual winner of the race.

BeamNG will be used for flavouring and (some) screenshots - but it is not required that the cars are tested in BeamNG - or even that they work in BeamNG. Mild BeamNG editing (e.g. hide chassis) can be dicussed.

RNG will play a role, but in terms of engine high reliability, low noise and high efficiency will increase your chances. In terms of trim, high reliability, high drivability, high offroad, low fuel consumption will increase your changes.

It is a bust period for challenges - I will finilize the exact methodology when I see that there is actual interest in this challenge. But the basis is set out above.

Rules and Regulations

Professional Class

General

• Trim Year 2020
  • Techpool: Anything from 0 to default. (+5) on everything
  • Qaulity points: max. 7 quality points up or down per engine and per trim (max 5 per tab).
  • Ground clearance: no part of the vehicle must touch the ground should put tyres on one side deflate (straight from the Dakar rulebook this - original language French, the French aren’t always that clear - this basically means that the side edges of your body work cannot go down lower than your rims.)
  • Entries must have at least head lights; rear lights; front, rear and side blinkers; and reverse lights.
  • Fuel: entries must run on Regular 91 RON fuel
  • Seats must be sport seats
  • Infotainment must be sat-nav

Trucks

• Minimum Weight: 1800kg
  • Maximum speed (limited or through gearing): 140 km/h
  • Transmission: free
  • Suspension: no active suspension
  • Seats: at least 3
  • Wheels: free

4x4

• Minimum Weight: 1200 kg
  • Maximum speed (limited or through gearing): 180 km/h
  • Transmission: manual or sequential: max 6 speed
  • Seats: at least 2
  • Wheels: max diameter: 810mm; max width: 315mm

4x2 (two-wheel drive)

• Minimum Weight: 800 kg
  • Transmission: manual or sequential: max 6 speed
  • Seats: 2
  • Wheels: max diameter: 940mm; max width: 315mm

Historical Class

• Trim year before 2005
  • Fuel: 91 RON or leaded 92 if trim year does not allow unleaded fuels
  • Max. 7 quality points up or down per engine and per trim (max 5 per tab)
  • Ground clearance: no part of the vehicle must touch the ground should put tyres on one side deflate
  • Entries must have at least head lights; rear lights; front, rear and side blinkers; and reverse lights.
  • Be magazine-worthy :wink:

Inspiration

Some inspiration

Entry

Max. one per class per user.
(So a total of 2 per person is allowed - one professional, one historical)

Naming convention Model & Family: TREK22 - Your forum nickname
Naming convention Trim & Variant: free

• Send a PM here on Discord to me with the .CAR file; and background information on the brand, the car, and any additional lore about the drivers or the car you want.
  • Create a short post in this thread with at least one picture
  • Please also introduce your pilot and co-pilot(s).
  • Indicate your driving style (see below) per stage.

Deadline

20 January 2023

Scoring and Role Play

The intent is this to be more of a showcase event, more than a pure competition - I respect that there as some that might not like that.

Stage times will be influenced by:

• Reliability (engine and trim) - influencing chance of breakdowns
  • Drivability and Comfort - influencing chance of accidents
  • Offroad - giving a bonus over tough routes, reducing chance of accidents
  • Economy and engine efficiency - increasing chances of having to stop and wait for service trucks because of low fuel.
  • Whether or not it looks the part (design and engineering - somewhat subjective perhaps, but I look at realism.
  • Your choice of driving style: meticulous, balanced or gung-ho - influencing change of accidents, breakdowns and fuel consumption.

Stages:

Stage 1: Yelta - Sulinki

Mainly show case event (for the Archanian regime) with a route through the famous coastal city, past the party retreat, to the outskirts and then off to Ksulinki along the unpaved mudy mountain roads, over the infamous Yugo-Vostochny Khrebet mountains.

Stage 2: Sulinki - Elshan

The toughest stage of the Trek, with harsh rock desert and barely any decent roads. The paths are barely a better option compared to just gunning it in a straight line through shrubbery and sharp rock, all the way to the historical site of Eshan, the city of gold of the medieval trans-Archania trade route.

Stage 3: Elshan - Basara (Dalluha)

Following the age old trade routes to Dalluha, with sand dunes and sand desert as far as the eye can see. Rough on the cars if they are unreliable, and not the place where you want to run out of fuel, but otherwise quite fun to put the peddle to the metal - as long as you don’t roll. Expect oppulence once arriving in Basara.

10 Likes

wow excited I love a good offroad trek :slight_smile:

For the trim rules it says the trim for professional class must be 2020, but in fuel it says that historical entries from mbefore 1975 can use Leaded 92 RON, but that is impossible since the trim year can’t go back that far, can you clarify that rule pls

What are we doing with the Techpool?

As someone who is quite infatuated with the Dakar Rally, and WRRC, you might want to add a little bit more toward the actual rules of the classes, mainly 4x4 and 4x2.

I’m not sure how realistic you actually intend to be, however, so these suggestions may be entirely moot, they’re also gonna apply almost entirely to the Professional 4x4 and 4x2 classes. I do have a few questions that may change my suggestions going forward.

I assume 4x4 is meant to be T1.1 and 4x2 is meant to be T1.2? If so, the engine size limitations exclude many real T1.1 and T1.2 class vehicles. For example, the most popular T1.2 car, the Century CR6 uses a 7L LS Based Motor, whilst being RWD. Another highly popular T1.2 buggy is the MD Rallye sport Optimus Evo 4 which uses a 6.7L LS V8, whilst also being RWD.

I’d try and lock down rules relating to maximum tyre widths, as well as minimum seat requirements, (especially since IRL, truck classes have 3 pilots, while Cars and SxS classes have 2 pilots.)

Inspirations per class may also be helpful to give everyone a target to aim towards.

Sorry, additional edit after, This rule is incredibly vague, and could do with some elaboration or reworking.

Thanks, that was put unclear.

Professional entries need 91 RON and should be 2020 trim.
Historical entries can also use unleaded fuel since the trim year can be whatever is historical. That should be 92 RON then, simulating the lack of guaranteed high octane fuels in Archania.

7 tech points for the engine
7 tech points for the trim

Thank you for those suggestion, I was trying to find a balance between some realism and limiting the number of classes. Would you suggest to remove engine limitations altogether?
I left the historical showcase very open for pre-2005 builts in this respect.

Seat requirements were on my mind as well, and are now added.

Tyre widths - any simplified suggestions? 375mm for trucks, 325mm for 4x4 and 245mm for 4x2?

That, ironically, is the only actual literal Dakar rule in there.

In essence that means the side edges of your body work cannot go down lower than your rims.

1 Like

How can I check if the vehicle touches the ground with deflated tires? idk how to do that in Automation

You just need to be sure Point A is higher than Point B

Otherwise just clip the car through the ground in photomode to the lowest point of the Rim.

2 Likes

So, the primary reason the T1 classes have such wide variety in engine capacity, (which applies to SxS and Trucks too) is that all vehicles are limited to a top speed of 180kmh (by gearing), and stages have speed limits for classes with Co-pilots/Navigators, which is if I remember right 150kmh for SxS (which are not seemingly represented in the rules (which is good)) and 130kmh for Trucks and Cars.

For simplicity sake, a gearing limitation of 180kmh is probably all you would need.

Trucks I would leave unrestricted, and for the 4x4 and 4x2 classes, I actually found the real wheel that is used by many teams in the Dakar Rally, The BFGoodrich KDR2+ which is a 37x12.5R17 tyre (318/80/R17), so I assume as long as it’s 315 or less on any size rim, it’d work.

1 Like

Should there be any limits to how many points can be allocated to a specific area? If so, I would recommend a maximum of 5 tech pool points in any one area.

1 Like

Are turbos allowed?

Good suggestion, I’ll add that.

Engine limitation were removed, speed and wheel size limitations introduced.

Though, yes, even before that turbos were allowed.

3 Likes

Thought I’d share something that is probably helpful for people looking at the variety of Car, Truck, and Classic entries in the real events.

Full Dakar Rally 2022 Entry List with 97 Cars, 58 Trucks, and 148 Classics.

1 Like

hmmmmm…my question is now how much modification would I need for this to make sense

1 Like

Rules, stages and role playing elements updated in the OP!

Deadline for submissions currently stands at 20 January.

2020 Raidsport Bellator

The 2020 Bellator, constructed by Raidsport out of South Africa, is the most recent overland rally raid vehicle built for Rally Raid competition. This chassis - #001 - was sold to long-time collaborator team Wyndon Racing South Africa, run by retired rally raid champion Garton Wyndon.

The Bellator features a mid-mounted 4L V8 derived from a Walkenhorst platform, making 345hp to the rear wheels. On a 2.6m wheelbase, it reaches a limited top speed of 180km/h and weighs 1180kg.

Wyndon Racing SA presents two drivers for this event, both with over 15 years of experience.

The Primary Pilot for this event is :south_africa: Thys van Jaarsveld, a driver whom has 16 years of experience within Raid events, as well as experience in World Rally Championship and World Rallycross events.

The Co-Pilot for this event is :norway: Åge Solbakken, long-time Co-pilot to Thys, as well as occasional competitor in Motorcycle Raid events, with 14 years of experience in multiple disciplines.

2 Likes

Hey little bit confused on in tech points it says max 7 quality points, how much do we have for tech points?

2 Likes

Techpool and quality are two different things (techpool is rather new). Check e.g. the QFC14-16 briefings for some explanations.

It makes sense to set separate rules and limits for quality and techpool to limit cheese.

2 Likes

Ah yes, that, I completely missed that indeed. I’ve added that. Let’s keep that simple for a competition that focusses mainly on design.

What’s the rules for interior (if any) for the historical class? Satnav infotainment at least is obviously not available for older trims…

That is only a requirement for the professional class for that reason.

You are free to choose for the historical class.

2 Likes