The Heart of The Desert [Challenge]

Correct one of the basics of hosting is first making samples of vehicles that meet or exceed the requirements. Making a car in Automation takes hours if not days. So by hosting, you are literally asking people for their time. Same with requests I’ve seen in other threads.

For this “challenge” I have a vehicle at the ready and will show it but I want to ask a question of you. Do you value others’ time? The way the posts have gone so far does not reflect this. IMO maybe worth review and go from there.

1 Like

I really have the time to make cars now as school takes over. I had 2 tests this week, the PSAT, some Pre-Calc homework, and an essay tomorrow. I try to build stuff during my free time but I rarely do get the time to do so. I’ll reduce the environmental resistance to 50 and maybe increase the comfort ratings. Just know i don’t have time on my hands.

Additional edit:

1. Environmental resistance is now 50

2. For the luxury class. The minimum comfort required is now 60.

Then don’t run a challenge.

1 Like

As stated before, I don’t have much time. What would you want me to do? Make all 3 classes in all weight categories regarding emissions and fuel economy? I would have to make 9 cars in total, and look.

I understand coming from as experience from self can improve the expectations of others. However with all the things posted, I believe that I am liberally giving exemptions left and right.

The weight class system goes for the user instead against. I’ve even stated that if a vehicle could be envisioned to be used in commercial usage then it may be allowed emissions exemptions.

If the vehicle was a truck or an SUV, it would be given a 5 MPG tolerance meaning that they can be 5 under and still be compliant.

I tried implementing $6,000 for the max that annual engine service cost can be. I tried set low standards of comfort to allow people to enter the luxury class easily.

Any car can be made, even a sports car.

I tried everything to be fair, and I don’t know what else to do.

Tell me what you want me to do and I’ll do it.

The easiest thing to do, if you want to run a challenge, is first be sure you have time to actually run one. (It sounds rich coming from me, I know).

You should set your scope narrow, if you know you don’t have much time. Do 1 type of car, don’t do nine. Make a few test builds of different ways you would approach making a car for that class.

This is not a good idea, unless you’re not judging the cars off one another. But in that instance, a one off challenge is not a good idea for such a thing.

Your best bet as it stands right now, is to not bother hosting anything until you have the

TIME

to look at everything. Don’t drop a wall without knowing the wall.

TL;DR: Don’t do anything now, make something in a smaller scope when you have the time.

2 Likes

None of this is intended to make you feel bad. Do you think you have a good understanding of the build process for cars? Do you know what impact simple changes will have on a cars stats? For example,
I simply changed the interior fittings of my test car (“cheap” class), and hit your revised targets for “High end” again, for 32500AMU.
If you don’t have the time to do it now, build one car a week. Get to know what you want us to make, so we can make it. Pulling numbers out of a hat does not work. 6000AMU ENGINE service costs would be a jet engine. In under 1 minute I built a 680KW 5L V10 with a turbo, VVT and VVL, with annual service costs of only 1300AMU.
You’re not really giving exemptions, nobody said they couldn’t do it. The rules don’t mesh. Any car can be used commercially, I’m sure you’ve heard of Uber/Lyft/DiDi etc, or… Pizza delivery.
Have a read of some challenges that had a good turn out. Try to see what made them work. I have been on here for years, and can’t engineer straight yet, ergo, I don’t set challenges.

Get some practice, and then we can do this again. Agreed?

5 Likes

Op: how many competitions have you entered into?

From experience of running one of the shorter ones, do not engage if you do not have plenty of spare time. In order to properly review a bunch of cars subjectively and objectively, it took me about 25 hours. Again it goes back to that respect for others’ time. In order to be of service to others, I took that time because they were giving theirs.

Let’s say that you do have the time to run a competition. How many have you won? Do you have the mechanics down well? Have you tried the single-player campaign to better understand the nuances of the program? (I realize it is still changing all the time with updates so this can be difficult)

Idea:. Let’s narrow down the competition to a single class, and get the variables down to a few solid options. Build a spreadsheet of your plan, and see what develops. I’m all for a competition, but if I give you, say, my Emu twin turbo luxury SUV, and it’s going against an economy car,…how are you going to judge that? What’s your criteria? Priorities?

5 Likes

Here, allow me to take first crack. Here’s my offer. 2020 EMU SportTrack AWD. 550HP of luxury SUV.

Gets 18MPG despite the neck-snapping performance.

3 Likes

New edit: For the regular class, engine service costs must be less than $3,000.

Another thing: I’m started to build some cars to see if it is possible and to allow me to see if any rules need to change due to unreasonable standards.

I would like to thank Lanson and others for their criticism as without them i would have not seen the folly of my plan.

1 Like

Here is my car for the middle east:

It’s the Mokhatsu Traveler, which is in the cheap class and weighs arounds 3200 pounds(Placed in respective emissions and fuel economy standards).

Mokhatsu_-Traveler.car|attachment (28.0 KB)
here is the .car file as well.

I have now made a car that fits the requirements, I’ll make a second one that would use the exemptions

As long as you keep in mind it is just constructive criticism, all is well.

Yeah, I know :slightly_smiling_face:

Ok, I have one for you, the Basset is a bigger dog from Miller then the “Pug” from “QFC11 Sweet Sixteen”. This is the cheapest base model at 29900.

The Basset have a I4 2.1l eco turbo at 184hp.

This is an example of a car that may not be eligible for emissions but if it can be made for commercial use while being over 6,000 pounds, it would be exempted from emissions regulations.

Mokhatsu_-_Lokai.car (33.8 KB)

just a tip on engines by what I see here:

Trucks such as this, if they had a V10, it would likely produce far more torque than HP, and run a very mild cam to get the most out of that. Your V10 as-seen here seems like it cuts abruptly at redline, but otherwise seems good for a sports car. Make sense?

Yeah, that makes sense. I was trying to make a heavy vehicle to demonstrate what would be allowed for exemptions. Maybe I’ll use this engine in a sports car in the future. Thanks for the tip.