The Sunbeam Alpine

My little slice of English auto.

My 1966 Sunbeam Alpine, spent 10 years resto-moding it. (all period parts)

1725cc of fun. :smiley:

Forgive poor recordings, I plan to one day do higher quality recordings.

pumpgasracing.homestead.com/files/Takeoff.wav
pumpgasracing.homestead.com/exhaust.wav
pumpgasracing.homestead.com/intake.wav

Very nice, that looks and sounds the business. The forgotten Bond car. :stuck_out_tongue:

That’s a pretty bad ass little car!!! I bet it’s fun to drive! :slight_smile:

Thanks, it was a fun journey and taught me a ton along the way.

If I could go back and change one thing though, I would of done an engine swap to a Ford 2.6L V6 instead of re-building the Rootes 1725.

[quote=“Lordred”]Thanks, it was a fun journey and taught me a ton along the way.

If I could go back and change one thing though, I would of done an engine swap to a Ford 2.6L V6 instead of re-building the Rootes 1725.[/quote]

I think the motor is one of the most fascinating aspects of the car! I have no idea how it drives, but it’s so compact and cute, and it looks fast. hahaha

You might be supprised, tis a heavy car for its size. 2860lbs wet with only 88hp SAE Net (99hp SAE Gross) All steel unibody mounted to a all steel X-frame. Double A-arm front, Solid leaf in the back. Solid-Disk front with power brakes standard!

Tis geared low also, with 4.11:1 final drive. Top speed is only 110mph, and a 1/4 mile time of 18.2 (best I’ve done anyways) But that all said, it is a shear joy to drive.

Great rebuild!

So after my shameful display of letting the car sit for 5 years. (Various reasons, many excuses.) It is time to start getting it ready to run again.

With the valve cover off, I hand spun the engine to make sure all of the lifters/rocker/springs/valves are still free (which they are) and took off the entire rocker assembly so I can soak it with a good penetrating oil before I disassemble and polish the rocker shaft/rockers, I soaked the top end, and wiped it up, then left a thin film of fresh low viscosity oil on the top end. Next I’ll yank off the Webers, pull off the caps and give them a good soak.

How about some pictures of that fun early tech Aluminum head / Iron block!

She will run again this year!

The DCOEs were dirty on the outside, but thankfully I wasn’t dumb enough to store them full of fuel. Still going to order a replacement gasket set for them.

Nice work. Looks like we have some talented gearheads on here. :wink: