Things You've Heard Non-Car People Say

LS7 revs 7000, no need to rev higher than that. Not with a crossplane V8.

2 Likes

They tested that it could rev higher with few issues.

1 Like

Doesnā€™t need to rev higher, no, but the other advantages make the change worth it.

2 Likes

I think it may be mostly due to the improved economy, specifically in the long term. With how restrictive emissions standards are now and how quickly theyā€™re increasing itā€™s inevitable that OHV engines will no longer be put into production cars. Yes the current OHV systems still do get respectable economy but their advancement is considerably slower since there are very few companies producing them now so going to DOHC now ensures a better product in the future.

2 Likes

What gets me is that he discredits himself with his own comment. ā€œMore moving parts = less reliabilityā€
Unless you count the links in the longer chainā€¦ a DOHC system has less moving parts than an OHV system.

1 Like

Iā€™m going to be that person and revive this long dead thread, because thereā€™s always shit non-car people say.

So here is a good one to kick you off:

9 Likes

Someone mustā€™ve put one hell of a sound system in that car if they think they need 3 externally-air-cooled alternators on their shitboxā€¦

Either that, or the trunkā€™s full of somewhere around 20 kilowatts of subwoofers.

Plus, letā€™s face it, Iā€™d have been a little more impressed with that non-car-person if theyā€™d have called those alternators ā€œsuperchargersā€ because at least then theyā€™re starting with something that is driven by a belt. Plus, it could be seen as a ā€˜cleverā€™ joke.

1 Like

It must be an electric car with a front mounted V6 that is constantly generating power to the rear motors, giving a constant 440hp.

7 Likes

I got one from my sister. She knows Iā€™m into cars, so one day back in 2009 or 2010 she tells me all excited ā€œI saw a yellow Lamborghini today!ā€ Being from a small city, I didnā€™t believe her. A bit of Google Image brought me to finding what sheā€™d actually seen, and it wasā€¦

9 Likes

I get it. Heā€™s using thunderboltā€¦ I think he needs to add water for another 100 hp at least.

It seems we both have siblings who donā€™t understand the difference between a muscle car and a Lamborghini.

Okā€¦ so todayā€¦ ehm, I GOT THE COMPACT RUNNING PROPERLYā€¦ ishā€¦ so naturally since itā€™s friday night, itā€™s car meet / hooning / drift time. We go to our regular location, we tandem for a bit (also compact is sh*t in this condiiton, needs lots of improvement). Naturally we end up crashing (not too bad, I slid off the road after a minor contact, ended up in the field, got pulled out). Now among us was one of the passengers who saw this kind of thing for the first time. And now quoting - ā€œThe electronic stability on older models is not effective, modern car wouldnā€™t crash like thatā€. I do not know what to answer to that

4 Likes

Butā€¦isnā€™t that actually a pony car?

I was referring to the sort of muscle car group, which in my eyes includes pony cars.

(And my brother thought a Trans Am was a Lamborghini)

#doyouevendriftbro

reverse entry broā€¦ straight into the field broā€¦