THIS VS THAT: A Unique Review Collection

Brought to you by Rival Motorspot

Inspiration

Hi, this is just a small bit of “out of character” explanation before we get into the nitty-gritty.

This little review thread is inspired by the ongoing Hoonigan series on YouTube by the same name, This vs That, a series in which they pit two cars up against each other in a best-of-3 drag race format. Their format is not the most balanced, with one cars usually just dominating the other. Having watched way too much of their content, I felt the inspiration to bring this sort of thing to Automation.

Disclaimer

I’m going to give a brief disclaimer here that I’m not the best in driving in Beamng, but it’s only gonna be in a straight line, so w/e. I also reserve the right to refuse or not test a car based on arbitrary metrics. You also may not have your car instantly raced, as I want to find “suitable” opponents for cars, rather than just pitting two not at all equivalent cars against each other.

WELCOME TO THIS VS THAT

What the hell is this?

This is a One vs One, Best of Three drag race “review” pitting two different but equivalent cars against each other to find which one is better. This is very straight forward, I dunno what else I need to say.

What the hell are you looking for?

Anything. Stock, Tuned, All-Out Race car. I don’t care, as long as it is interesting, doesn’t threaten to kill the drivers, and actually works. When you drop a car to me, I want the details, the story, and the quirks. I’m not looking for a single car file in my DMs, you’ll probably be outright ignored. You need to make the car interesting to me. I want to know the story of this model.

Was it a special version? is it just uncommon? was it built by a tuning garage for a purpose? Is it just a fucking race car? You need to sell the car to me before I decide to race it

What the hell do you need?

As I said above, I need a story. What I also need is a .car file if it works fine in Beam, or a beam mod file, if you’ve fucked with the car. I’d also like a quick outline of the specs, like drive type, gearbox, Automation rated 0-100km/h time (if Applicable), engine size, layout and aspiration (If Applicable), automation rated 1/4 mile time (if Applicable).

What the hell will the reviews look like?

The reviews are likely to be walls of text with maybe quick video clips of runs, or other quirks. The Format I’m gonna use is the West Coast USA Drag Strip, 1 run in each car (with the AI driving the other car), then a final run (if needed) in the car I like the most. :wink:

You’re free to ask questions in the thread, and react to reviews. Not sure how often reviews will come, all dependent on cars I get, and if I can form logical match-ups.

SEND ENTRIES TO THIS FORM

15 Likes

(post withdrawn by author, will be automatically deleted in 24 hours unless flagged)

(post withdrawn by author, will be automatically deleted in 24 hours unless flagged)

2016 Denver Arachne

This car has pretty interesting lore or story behind it.

The previous gen of Denver Arachne is considered as one of the most boring car ever from Denver Automobiles as they claimed

Picture above is showing 2008 Denver Arachne which is the previous gen from 2016 model

As you can see here, it just looks like grandma’s favourite convertible and it performs terrible too! It’s FWD and powered by sluggish 3.8L V6, 210hp through 4-speed automatic like a true American car at that time.

People was complaining that this car is just bad and such like cheap plastic interior and the afore mentioned sluggish V6 and transmission.

But with the coming of next gen Arachne which is the 2016 model, Denver has changed the formula. It became a convertible sports car with 5.7L V8, 400hp.

But we’re not talking the stock one, this particular green Arachne built by Harriot’s Garage located in Las Vegas and this one has upgraded engine. blueprint 5.5L turbocharged V8 powering up to 715hp, 818nm of torque while keeping the stock look.

10 Likes

6 Likes

SRB-01 Top Speed Trial Car (2020 retrofit)

heading towards WCUSA drag strip

Backstory

Automation Virtual Car Meet (AVCM) @ 2020 (ENDED) - #54 by SpeedyBoi

Specs

The 1993 Overkill Engineering SRB-01 Top Speed Trial car was originally built to compete for the speed record on a closed Yatabe course. In 2020, the car is taken out of storage as a test bed for tuning development of the R20BLM engine, found on the new Hirochi Prasu. The original powertrain is replaced with the new engine and an AWD drivetrain, both sourced from a donor Prasu. The engine is fitted with Overkill’s prototype stroker kit and turbo, making about 1300hp from a 4.1L flat 6.

Being a top speed trial car, it is not quite tuned for drag racing with a manual transmission and super tall gearing. I haven’t tested this thing at a drag strip yet, but compared to a dedicated drag car with similar times, this would most likely get bogged down at launch due to its tall gearing and narrow powerband, and catch back on later using its quite high power to weight ratio

8 Likes

Hakumai Raider HR. Coming soon to WCUSA Drag strip

SPECS
2.0L Turbo I4
a 0-60 of 7.7 Seconds
The first car from them to use the Hakumai Racing nameplate on a retail model. We have also downsized it to a more fuel-efficent 2.0L I4 producing 255HP, and a 0-60 of 7.7 Seconds, thats sure to beat the competition, It was about to be a JDM-Only offering, but it was eventually scrapped so the rest of the world could also enjoy the car. We partnered up with FOOL to have high quality audio speakers (a play on Bose)

I Will be competing with the DTM Variant aswell. Specs of the engine are a regular DTM V8, It has been raced during the 2000 DTM World Championship, they did not win for sure

3 Likes

A THIS VS THAT UPDATE

Because I am a lazy git, I have created an easier way for people to send me cars to review, myself to organize the cars I have been sent, and compare the cars I have been sent to create more interesting matchups.

Anyone who has sent me a car thusfar, I would be very grateful if you would send through a response to the form.

PLEASE SEND RESPONSES TO THIS GOOGLE FORM

7 Likes

are you able to turn that off? @Fayeding_Spray image didnt i pm you a car file anyways

No way around the file upload thing, and I am pretty sure I disabled collection of emails, this is for my ease of reccording because it would take far too long to hand compile the information for comparison.

You can’t deal with the reccording of information that I’m not even going to be looking at, you won’t have your car considered for review.

Sorry.

oh ok
ill submit the thing anyways.

Submitted. Please note you will have to export the car yourself as i dont have a beamng car file right now. and the 0-60 is missing and automaiton quarter mile as i havent tested those things either.

2008 Hakaru Cren EV

This experimental vehicle variant of a 2002-2009 GP9 Hakaru Cren was designed as a basis for all future electric cars made by Hakaru. 150 were produced, with 76 on the SE trim Cren cars, 56 on the SE-G (SE Gold) trim Cren cars, and it is rumoured that 18 were produced on the GT-S Cren cars as specially designed race cars, but never saw the light of day as the 2008 FR Challenge, a promotional race revolving around the release of Autoturismo 4.

8 Likes

I’ll try my luck again :wink:

2020 Crest Tuono III

This car is the third generation of Tuono, a lineup that first debuted in 2003, due to a need in the market for a big, safe, fast and luxurious coupe, for the adventurous parents. You can fit your 3 kids inside for a roadtrip, but also burn some rubber on the track if you want.