TMCC13: Calaber [Final Reviews]

Reviews, Part 2:

8 cars sit at a vacant lot near the movie studio. The director, Richard Brand, heads shakes his head as he walks towards the row of cars.

“All these companies want their car featured in the film?”

Donald Markinson, head of production, replies.

“Product placement is a big thing these days. Companies want their car on the screen, and even more so as a hero car. A feature length film puts the car in the eye of the consumer a lot longer than any advertising space!”

The first car they take a look at is the Markley Palimino SST. Markinson starts, “A very handsome and straightforward design, a bit futuristic even, I think it emits the right attitude.”

Brand: “Markley? These are pretty expensive cars, aren’t they? Might be a little posh for the detective.”

M: “Yes, a little pricey. But it’s a strong performer. The 342ci V8 is no big block, but with triple carbs 330 hp, it’s got the power to rival some engines with a lot more cubes. Will get to 60 in 6 and a half seconds, through the quarter in 14.7, and will run 50-75 in 3.8. In all other metrics, it’s on par or better than the rest. A strong contender in my book.”

B:“I just wish it weren’t so expensive.”

M: “It’s almost identical performance to this one, the AMS Arrowhead 427. With a long-stroke 427ci engine with fully forged internals, it produces a somewhat meager-for-it’s-size 345 hp. Carrying a bit more weight than the Markley, it’s acceleration figures are the same aside from a slightly quicker 50-75.”

B: “It’s uhh, It’s not exactly exciting to look at, is it?”

M: “The stunt driver felt the same way about it’s handling, it’s not especially well composed. But they’re very affordable; $3,600 less than the Markley, at $17,600. Cheap, reliable, and fast make a fairly compelling package, no?”

B: “I like the looks of this one more.”

M: “The Valiant Renegade 262. A novel approach from Valiant to make a high performance machine with a 6 cylinder with an overhead cam. The looks are great, but you can feel the shortage of cubes under the hood; just 250hp yields 0-60 in 7.14, the quarter in 15.31, and a 50-70 of 4.81. It’s not a bad performer, considering the small engine, but it’s more expensive than the AMS by $900. Most other metrics, it’s about average. Oh, also, the stunt driver took great issue with the brakes. Despite front discs (all the cars here have front discs), the Valiant suffered from brake fade far beyond the rest, sapping his confidence in car.”

B: “Hmm.”

M: “Now this one, this is a go-for-broke supercar. The BKOO Stormer Daytona 472.”

B:“you mean 427?”

M: “No, four hundred and seventy two cubic inches. And an otherworldly 490 hp, one of only two cars here with more than 1 hp per cube. This rocks everything else here on the performance tests: 60 in 5.8s, the quarter in 13.98, 50-75 in a mere 2.83s. And it’s no dragster; show this thing a corner and it knows exactly what to do.”

B: “So this flashy fire-breather comes at a cost, then.”

M: “Quite some cost. $22,400. Reliability isn’t especially strong either, and as you’d expect from a such a beast, it wasn’t too happy putting around town.”

B: “this might be a bit much for the detective. What’s the next one?”

M: “Another favorite of the test drivers, this Hinode Mahkota ST.”

B: “This is big for a Japanese car.”

M:“It’s a full size there, which puts it close to the pony cars and compacts here.”

B: “So, does it make any power?”

M: “certainly less than anything else here. Now, the little motor can sing with it’s overhead cam, and it’s fuel injected, too, not the most proven tech but it seems bulletproof reliable so far. But power? 215hp. 60 in 7.74, the quarter in 15.78, and 50-75 in 4.68. Outside of the acceleration tests, it’s a gem, both sporty and easy to drive.”

B: “It might not be powerful enough for what we want. It’s the right size and it looks the part. What else?”

M: “GSI Martinet Speedway.”

B: “Didn’t we say we didn’t want a full-size car?”

M: “we did sir, but they sent this anyways, and it’s affordable for it’s size, $18,700, and it’s got a 390ci with dual quads making 330 hp. Performance figures, due to the weight, are less than impressive though, and reliability has been poor”

B: …

B: “This is far more like it! Now this is what I’m talking about.”

M: “Avantii Thelorma GST. It’s got a 364 under the hood, 310 hp. Performance is a bit slower than you’d expect, 7.26 to 60 and 15.31 in the quarter. 3.96 in the 50-75 is better though; the open diff makes getting out of the hole difficult. The stunt driver loved it though, flat cornering and well behaved.”

B: Yes, this one I quite like."

M: "Another car similar in size and color palette, the Cabrera Fulgor 320. A different approach at a high performance car, this Spanish import doesn’t have the power of most of the other cars, 260hp from a 320ci V8. Acceleration is still fairly good though, 7.03 to 60, 15.31, but 4.41 in 50-75, where the it’s power deficit really shows. It’s got an unusual tire setup, but the results are a car that corners excellently yet is easy around town.

B: "The looks are aggressive, sporty, and futuristic, but it might be too flashy. But it’s compelling, with close to sports car looks in a more practical package. I’m gonna think on this.

M: “don’t think too long. We’ve got a window on these permits for the street closures.”

B: “Screw it then, bring these 5 to set.”

Brand selects the @Petakabras Cabrera, @EnCR Avantii, @S_U_C_C_U_L_E_N_T & @66mazda Hinode, @abg7 AMS, and @Maverick74 Markley to bring to set.

The next cars to be eliminated are the @oppositelock GSI Martinet Speedway, @mart1n2005 Valiant Renegade 262, @conan BKOO Stormer Daytona 472. The GSI is too large, not reliable enough, and not fast enough. It’s only standout stat is safety, thanks to it’s massive size and monocoque construction. The Valiant Renegade 262 is one of the top contenders on looks, and the performance isn’t too far back considering the power deficit. However, with just 9 sportiness, it’s among the worst in a valuable stat, and based on the detailed stats page, brake fade is it’s biggest issue. The BKOO is proof you can have too much of a good thing. With a power above and beyond the real class of '68 with an engine far larger in displacement, it scorches the acceleration tests and is highly sporty, and falls short everywhere else, and has a big price tag.

Gross hp figures were used in this review, using a 1.15x equivalency rounded to the nearest multiple of 5.

14 Likes

A top-5 finish for my entry? After barely missing out in the previous round, it’s a relief for me to qualify for the finals this time! Mainly it has something to do with this:

That stems from my decision to give my car a traditional body-on-frame chassis, while sticking to a leaf-sprung live rear axle and using a relatively under-stressed big-block V8 (with a four-barrel carburetor and standard intake) for propulsion - I could have fitted a second carburetor to unlock even more power, but at the expense of eroding some of the reliability and affordability that the Arrowhead was known for.

I knew the inline 6 would be a problem, hard to sell something other than a V8 for these rounds. I did think my brakes were ok though, maybe I should have used larger discs

Reviews: Final

Once on set, director Richard Brand gives the cars over to the stunt driver for some quick takes, to see how the cars look in motion on the streets.

The AMS Arrowhead 427. While this car gives plenty of speed for a low cost, it’s the least composed handler of the group, sitting on a full-frame and leaf sprung rear axle. The lack of handling precision is something the driver could work around, especially given it’s healthy power and torque, but the real killer for this car is the appearance. The chosen car will be a action movie star, after all, and the AMS just doesn’t look exciting.

The Markley Palimino SST brings almost identical performance to the table despite much smaller displacement. It’s also a far more competent handling car, albeit not on the same level as the Cabrera, Avantii, and Hinode. Nonetheless, with great looks and plenty of punch, it would be a shoe-in for the role… if not for the price. $21,200 is lot of money in this crowd, and with the triple-carb setup giving lower reliability ratings than the other remaining options, it’s facing an uphill battle.

The Cabrera Fulgor 320 seems to love the camera. It’s ultra aggressive, futuristic front end means business, and more so than ever when in motion. It’s a solid handler as well, and even impressed with a surprisingly comfortable ride when driven more sedate. Unfortunately, it’s 317ci V8 really lacks the punch of the larger V8s here, and the staggered tire sizes and low profile rear tires aren’t easy to come by, but nonetheless, it’s an impressive machine.

More impressive, though, was the Hinode Mahkota ST. The car’s appearance is straightforward and business-like, with a purposeful stance, and unlike many Japanese cars, it’s not so small as to look out of place among the V8 compeitors, even if it doesn’t quite have the panache of some of the others. Carrying around 240 lbs less than the next lightest Cabrera and a whopping 687 lbs less than the full-framed AMS, the Mahkota behaves truly like a sports car, with flat cornering, eager turn-in, and a playful but controllable rear end; the stunt driver’s favorite car. The shorter ratios of it’s 5 speed transmission help the fuel injected I6 move the car with some pace, but on the steep hills of San Francisco, the torque deficit to the other cars can be seen loud and clear. Unfortunately for the Hinode as well, it’s excellence doesn’t come cheap; less than the Markley, but more than the Cabrera and significantly more than the Avantii and and AMS.

The Avantii Thelorma GST is the budget option of the group, with the cheapest price, not just of the remaining cars, but of all the cars considered. But you wouldn’t know looking at it: it’s an incredibly handsome and well detailed machine. That low price doesn’t sacrifice brawn either; 364ci and 310hp are healthy figures. The stunt driver felt the engine had a lot more to give, but was hampered by a long rear axle ratio and open diff. Somewhat lazy acceleration aside, the car was still athletic when hustled through the streets; not quite on the Hinode’s level through the bends, but a match for the more expensive and more-exotically-tired Cabrera.

With an impressive combination of value, power, and style, the Avantii Thelorma GST is selected to be Brock Calaber’s hero car.

Final Standings:

1. @EnCR
  2. @S_U_C_C_U_L_E_N_T & @66mazda
  3. @Petakabras
  4. @Maverick74
  5. @abg7
17 Likes

Congratulations EnCR! A very well done entry.

I must I’m surprised that the Markley wound up being one of the better performance cars in the bunch. Most the stuff I build seems to be on the other end of that spectrum. But the performance came with a price, literally. :smile:

3 Likes

Thank you>, also since I still hold the responsibility of hosting CSR. I’ll have to pass this to @S_U_C_C_U_L_E_N_T & @66mazda .

6 Likes

We will be passing it down
@Petakabras catch!!!

Sadly there´s too much stuff going on Christmas, so i´ll past it down to @Maverick74

If he passes, then I will host the next round in his place.

I will be handing this down, so tmcc 14 is yours agb7.

OK then, I will come up with a rule set within 72 hours.

3 Likes

A quick post script on the tire realism section, after a bit more research:

G-width tires, roughly 235 wide, did exist in factory fittings, with G70-15s seen on some full-size offerings, too large to be in the hunt here. G60-15s, with their shorter sidewall, started showing up on factory high performance cars in 1970, too late for this competition. Wider options could be found aftermarket, but it seems the roughly 235 wide G width were as wide a factory fitted tire got before proper radials started showing up, and many cars, even high performance models, stuck with slightly narrower F-widths.

When this round started, I looked for conversion tables. The ones I found show G cross-plies to be much closer to 205. They also show L width, indicating that it is close to 230… with an aspect ratio of 78. They do, also, include a little disclaimer about interchangeability.

Looking at the dimensions of a G60-15 tire, they have a section width of 9.76", or 248mm, and a tread width of 8.4", 213.4mm. Since bias-plys have a rounder shape when inflated, comparing straight section width to section width doesn’t give a good comparison to radials, and I am in no way asserting that a G60-15 has a wider contact patch than a 245 section width radial. But, considering even the tread width, let alone the section width, is wider than the 205mm section width of a modern radial, I have a hard time seeing how they could be closest to a 205 wide modern tire in width.

I’d say, the effective width of a G60 would fall between a 235 and 225, but out of curiousity, I’m going to try to take some measurements of reproduction bias-plys as comparison and future reference when car show season starts.

tyre-chart
I’m not saying this is accurate, it’s just what I found and am using for reference. I am, of course, more working with a very basic approximation of overall height, not actual fitted.
From right to left, it shows a 225/70 x 15 is close to a G78 (with 78 being aspect ratio), 225 x (70/78) = 201.9mm

Looking at the Firestone web page, they say G70-14 has an o/d of 26.8" (680mm… ish), something like a 215/70.

I should have done the math from the start instead of guesstimating, we have all the information we need to determine this with some algebra given fixed conditions, and I do enjoy a bit of algebra.

We know that the tire’s overall height is (sectionwidth*(profile/100)*2)+wheelsize.

So, for the 215/70r14 example you provided, the overall diameter would come to 656mm, 25.85". Given 14" is 355.6mm, we get:

(215*(70/100)*2)+355.6 = 656.5mm, or 25.85". This lines up with the rounded figure given by tiresize . com

So, since we know the G70-14 from Firestone or Goodyear show an OA diameter of 26.8", 680.72mm we can actually calculate it’s width by solving for x.

(x*(70/100)2)+355.6 = 680.72
x
.72 = 325.12
x
1.4 = 325.12
x = 325.12/1.4 = 232.23

So, not taking into account pressure, fitment, weight, etc. we can come to the conclusion that a G70-14 has an effective width of 232.23mm, not too far off a 235.

We can use use the same math for an F70-15. 15" is 381mm, and Firestone shows a F70-15 OA diameter also at 26.9", so:

(x*70/100)2)+381 = 683.29
x
1.4 = 302.29
x = 302.29/1.4 = 215.92. So on that math, an F70-15 is damn close to a 215/7015.

How about the quite common F70-14. Goodyear and Firestone show 26.2" diameter, 665.48mm

(x*(70/100)2)+355.6 = 665.48
x
1.4 = 309.88
X = 309.88/1.4 = 221.34.

So, based on this, we can see that the letter width ratings are not exact, but seem to vary based on the wheel size and tire profile.

For fun, lets see what we get for the biggest, baddest factory sizing from the era: the G60-15. Goodyear shows their Wide Oval G60-15 at 26.8" diameter, so:

(x*(60/100)2)+381 = 680.72
x
1.2 = 299.72
x = 299.72/1.2 = 249.77. A whopping 250 section width on the highest performance cars of the early 70s!

So, based on this math, that the letter-width ratings used at the time scaled based on sidewall profile and wheel size, as this G-width G60-15 is considerably wider than the G70-14 we calculated earlier, despite both being rated G.

My only point of confusion on that, both the chart I posted, and the other one I found, show 78 a/r, not 70. Naturally, a 70 series will allow for wider rubber, but were they 70 in reality? What if they were 67 but marked 70:
The F70-14 (665.48) diameter on a 14" rim would then be 230 wide, wouldn’t it?.

It more implies that the letters were a range of widths at the manufacturers discretion, not a scaling value: they wouldn’t need to have the aspect ratio moulded on if that were the case.

I did the math on an F70-14 above and got 221.34, where are you getting 230 from?

Switching to DM, so we don’t clutter the thread any further.

TMCC14 is finally up - you can find it here!

2 Likes