TMCC13: Calaber [Final Reviews]

If it were me making an OHC engine, I’d stick to an I6. Realistically, they were much more prevalent in Europe at the time. Even Pontiac had an OHC 6 in the '60’s.

Ford did make a SOHC V8 that made it to production, but it was short-lived… and extremely rare (basically just built for NASCAR).

2 Likes

One of the first OHC V8s I know of that reached any larger production figures was the Mercedes V8 that arrived around this time. That one was installed in cars that were much more exclusive and expensive than what we are talking about here.

There is a reason why OHC technology arrived in inline engines before V engines, it is so much more straightforward, you only need a simple chain or belt drive from the crankshaft to the camshaft. On a V engine it gets much more complicated since you need twice as many camshafts, a much more complex transmission for the cam drive, etc.

1 Like

Always the conundrum with these American muscle car rounds of challenges. You can build a ohc inline 6 that is mostly better than the ohv V8 but most of the time the buyer at that time would prefer the V8 anyway.

1968 Valiant Renegade 262

The base engine in the Renegade was the 262ci six cylinder, however this could be upgraded with the Super Sprint package offering more aggressive cams, a twin double barrel carburettor setup with sports intakes and more free flowing exhaust with sports mufflers and twin exhaust tips. This package upgraded the power from 183bhp@5000rpm to 218bhp@5000rpm. This manages to offer the power of a V8 with an engine 50ci smaller.

This particular car also comes with the VS45 appearance package which includes pressed steel 14" wheels, RS grille with spotlights and contrast hood with ram air intakes.

6 Likes

1968 Kingdom GT8 4000

A fast british GT with a fierce powertrain.

Kingdom Backstory-
Kingdom was a british car marque that started having some amazing success in the US market in the 50s with big V8s and I6s. By 1965 they were building cars in the US. The GT8 was focused on blending EU and US market tastes to make a world class sportscar. It was luxurious, brutally fast, somewhat affordable, and had an understated beauty remeniscent of 60s Kingdoms. The Best part was the 244ci OHC V8, which, when combined with the optional 5-speed manual, made the car hilariously quick, able to keep up with american muscle cars with 150ci more displacement.

A couple more pics

5 Likes

Cabrera Fulgor 320

Lore

Cabrera´s response to the Ford Mustang, the underpinnings of a boring family car were part of a much more attractive package now, with a beefier 320 cubic inches v8 engine and reinforced (some may say that they were still not enough) brakes to help control this beast.

210hp, sports tyres and decals for days, what else do you want?

12 Likes
Trust the legend

1968 Deer And Hunt SuperCoupe SuperRoad

7 Likes

1968 Denison Widow Sig Stylo.

’Powerful, Euro styled body that’s made in the US. Proven reliability even by the our boys in Vietnam.'

Car Backstory

(Cue the music)

Denison Motor Company, or simply Denison had seen the explosion of American pony cars and wanted in on the action. The Widow among DMC’s other lineups is one of their flagship muscle. bleeding out horsepower due to its DCR OHC 380CI Injection producing a modest 242HP at a top speed of 169MPH*
*(at a controlled straight shot track.)

One of the Widow’s claim to fame, five was imported to Vietnam in 1965 painted matte olive green and used as a US runner for sending an unorthodox fast time sensitive message. The SIG Stylo package was that top tier package offered in that import. However come to find out, the commander who started it just wanted the car for him and his boys. the effectiveness of the car was a side effect.

Official DMC dealerships offered them with its unique dark gem stone flake colors and sport that every salary man can normally buy but second party dealers offered second party features on the cars for some additional costs.

Company Lore

Denison Motor Company making their own waves in their slice of the auto industry. priding themselves in vehicles ranging from small adorable little hatch back buzzers to monstrously luxurious and large land yacht cruisers. some of their models could be considered gimmicks cooked up at the design room, but their reliability and speed rival companies Europe side.

DMC is nothing more than a simple car company that learns and knows whats best.

More Pictures

3 Likes

Zephorus JB8

The kind of car which has british engineering and Italian reliability.

5.4L V8 320hp, 165mph
That’s a muscle car, right?

lazy forum post :agony:

17 Likes

For Markley’s second generation of their pony car, they decided to turn it into a bit of a giant slayer. Hence the Super Sport and Track, or SST, version arrives for the 1968 model year. They started by taking their small 326ci V8 and boring it up to 340 cubic inches. It utilizes steel peened forged connecting rods and pistons for increased strength. With 9.5 to 1 compression, a hotter cam, duel exhausts, and triple two barrel carburetors, it makes 288 hp at 4,700rpm and 247 lb-ft of torque at 3,500rpm.

Performance of the Palomino SST, when optioned with the four speed manual transmission and “Posi-Loc” differential, is quite phenomenal. Zero to sixty comes in 6.55 seconds, quarter mile times of 14.7 seconds, and a top speed of over 150mph. Standard radial 205/75/15 tires, “Pleasure-izer” gas tube shocks, and optional front disc brakes also allow superior handling and braking as well.

Finished in Aztec Gold Metallic with a black lower stripe and vinyl top with a Bahia vinyl interior, this Markely Palomino SST came be yours for $3213 before dealer options, destination charges, and taxes.

5 Likes

1968 AMS Arrowhead 427

427ci. 300bhp (net). 410 lb-ft. 0-60 in 6.55 seconds and the 1/4 mile in 14.7 seconds. All this for just $17,600. Need we say more?

Interior

4 Likes

1968 Fowler Buckshot 305 Special

Dive, Fritz

To join in on the pony fun, Fowler put their racing-derived, 270 hp V8 into a small coupe usually powered by awful 4-6 cylinder engines.
As the top-of-the-line Special, it has a 3-speed automatic for comfortable, effortless everyday cruising.
Need to go? Documented quarter mile time 14.47 seconds, top speed 153 mph.
Need to stop? 60-0 in less than 162 ft, is great.
Equipment is adequate with power steering, Leatherlike upholstery, reclining seats, air conditioner and a Hoes high fidelity radio.
Interior is spacious for such a tiny car, and the trunk will hold two golf bags or an intact adult body comfortably. Fuel economy? Get a bike.

3 Likes
hey shitass wanna see me have vigorous amounts of unprotected sex with an orca

i have no lyrics this time i am so sorry

why cant i just give this a 427 ci big block fuck you automation i need my big block fuck suck cock yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeehaw

how much more do i have to write to fill this shit
probably this much idk that’s enough

SPECIAL SPORTS
RM TAMARAW
283ci LE MANS 2+2
What the fuck?

So what the fuck is this thing, and how did this car become?

Asked literally no one, like, fucking ever.

Whatever, fuck you. So basically, It all starts in 1962, a certain V8 hot-rod sports coupe comes out to rival another V8 sports coupe, and another manufacturer wants in on that action.

Enter Marcelo Rodriguez, a famous Philippine drag racer, who in 1963 decided to answer that call. Big Company in Detroit says “provide us with an ample chassis, and we’ll provide an ample engine.” And as such, one thing led to another, and now you’ve got a 283 cubic-inch small-block V8 forcing its way into the cramped engine of a 30-Series Quezon Supercab.

It’s an instant hit on the drag strip, with blazing acceleration times and quarter miles. Handling is also surprisingly very good despite the archaic platform its on. Increased popularity meant increased demand, in the Philippines anyway, which means nothing, no one bought these things brand new in America because they never sold them there anyway.

So out of the fuckall amounts of Quezon Supercabs made, which was around 100, or whatever the fuck, Marcelo Rodriguez managed to convert a couple of them into a car he calls the “Tamaraw”, with some versions packing a 302, a 327, or fuck, somehow a 409.

Towards the tail end of the 70s, with the arrival of the Quezon Coupe (an actual car that isn’t a actual fucking willys jeep with a coupe body), the Supercab fell out of favour, but still there was room for improvement and the “Le Mans” edition came out of bum-fuck nowhere with 2+2 seating and a 283ci race-derived V8 making somewhere in the range of 300 gross horsepower. Literally only five of these shitboxes were made, which is five too many.

Now you’re wondering why it made its way into the US, or rather towards some film studio making whatever the fuck kinda movie that totally isn’t related to bullets…
… cause fuck you, that’s why.

Oh yeah, it’s not like the movie producers would know about this shit anyway. Unless the person who provided them the car has extensive knowledge about niche South East Asian bullshittery behind their back. Whatever, their life I guess…

… wait a fucking second…
fuck

i need sleep
cope
bye

14 Likes
13 Likes

13 hours remaining

15 Likes

Submissions closed, and 22 cars entered. If you did not receive a like on your DM, please let me know.

10 Likes

That’s amazing you managed to get 187hp from 3 liters. But holy shiz man that is, to put it lightly, one strongly worded ad. Holy hell you’re trying to sell the guy a car and you just told him he “chows down on a triple cholesterol cheeseburger in his nearest KFP 16 miles away from his house in some strip mall because of shit urban planning.” I found it absolutely hilarious though :laughing:

2 Likes

Reviews, Part One:

These cars ran afoul of the rules.

@Violent_Lobster Denison Widow SIG Stylo

Naming Convention, 2 piston calipers, exceeded both ET limits (87.3 and 110.4)

@Sky99 Tepest Outrunner 234

Naming Convention

@S31 MAHG Phi SportCruise '68

2 piston brake calipers

@GassTiresandOil Armor Streekhawk

2 piston brake calipers

@Riley Zephorus JB8

2 piston brake calipers

@variationofvariables RM Tamaraw 283 LeMans 2-2

Exceeding loudness limit (48)

@Mikonp7 Deer And Hunt SuperCoupe SuperRoad

Cross-ply tires. I feel a little bad eliminating the car for cross ply tires when they are inferior in every way, and would have in reality been the expected type of tire. Regardless of the tire choice, the car would not have gone too far, with supbar sportiness and performance figures.

Part Two:

These cars did not make the first cut.

@Restomod Kingdom GT8 4000 Coupe

The tagline may say “the best in the business”, but the GT8 4000 is the worst in the business in a very important category: reliability. At 40.3, this car is leagues below the rest of competition in this top tier priority. To point out why is fairly easy: it’s small 244ci (4 liter) is all aluminum, SOHC, and has stressed internals. In another very important category, price, the GT8 is also among the worst; nearly the most expensive entry at $22,400, which is especially eyewatering when this car is just 158" long and 68" wide, nearly the smallest entry and far too small for a conventional American market vehicle of the time.

@Ludvig Fowler Buckshot 305C Special

The Folwer Buckshot may be fast, but it’s not sporty, with just 3.6 sportiness, and one of just two cars to opt for an automatic transmission. The price of $21,600 is on the high side, a reliability is below average, in part due to the OHC V8 with DCOEs. It’s fast, but not much else going for it.

@DuceTheTruth100 Wells 500 Rallye

The Wells 500 Rallye misses the mark on size; with a 126" wheelbase and 211" overall length, this is a full-size car, larger than what is desired here. Although the price is good, the rest is not; the 350ci (5.7l) V8 is aluminum head, flat-plane, and is a bit over matched for the 3600lb machine, making for a rather slow and unreliable car. Despite it’s huge size, comfort is a dismal 4.1, due to basic interior.

@voiddoesnotknow Grouse Valencia 5.0 Firehawk II

So, this car has two things going for it; it’s cheap, and it’s reliable. But it falls apart from there. This body choice is unfortunate; although it’s length is within the expected range, the car is obscenely wide, 2.5" wider than even the largest full-size machines of the time. It appears to not even fit in it’s own photo. Despite the massive width, it curiously uses a an unusual narrow 60 degree V8 with overhead cams, and just 304ci (5.0l) of displacement and the 2nd lowest hp figure in test. Paired with just a 3 speed manual and lugging this massive body around, performance is predictably poor.

@stm316 Sandhurst Louisianno RT 360 “Special”

Another car with an iron block and aluminum heads, and poor reliability; second worst in test after the Kingdom. The price is on the high side as well, $20,900. On the plus sides, performance is strong, and oddly, despite a 354ci (5.8l) V8, a very high 16.1 mpg.

@Fayeding_Spray EAAC Athena “Leopard SSF”

Not too bad a car, but unfortunately outclassed by other entrants. The price is on the high side, $20,800, but reliability and sportiness are good. Unfortunately, it’s acceleration numbers are unusually slow; despite having a limited slip and a better power to weight ratio than the Sandhurst, it’s more than 2 seconds slower to 60 mph and more than 1.5 seconds slower in the 1/4 mile. A good torque curve matters, and this 317ci (5.2l) V8 lacks mid-range. Staggered tire width and 60 profile rear tires are both unusual choices for this type of vehicle in this era.

@cake_ape Mons Astral C

The good news first: the Mons Astral C is quite affordable, $17,800, and it’s relatively reliable. It excels in a few places, running costs a quite cheap, and driveability is very high. But this car really falls short in performance; the 335ci (5.5l) engine is on the weak end of entrants, and paired with a 3 speed automatic, it was the slowest entrant in both 0-60 and 1/4 times.

8 cars remain. The reviews of the rest of the vehicles will be done in character.

16 Likes

Except… it’s not. Not for a V8, definitely not for 1968, and absolutely not for the US. My last 3 cars IRL get figures like that.

The car I tuned to make this only gets 10.