Trafikjournalen: Cars that influenced Swedish car culture (The end!)

Well, it is inspired by COP, unfortunately it will be very much more like COP than I had thought about in my head, so I guess I will look like a copycat, but on the other hand I have asked Vic for permission.

Generations was mroe about cars set within the days of production, as COP is mostly history related

1 Like

Thanks!

The new Zerve PS51 saloon: your reliable freind. A modern, rear engined, aerodynamic 4-door with your name on it! More history/lore coming soon!
[spoiler]The Zerve Agriculture & Truck company is an eastern-bloc automaker that started out making tractors in the early 1850s. The company was part of Zerve holdings, a Ukrainian holdings company that originated making boats in the early 1800s. The company was dissolved shoetly after Ukraine joined the Soviet Union, into its many branches. Only the auto arm kept the Zerve name. Zerve continued to produce tractors (still the 4th largest agricultural machinery producer in the world), and trucks for the Soviet Union into WWII. The Jobmaster van and Trekmaster feild truck (which rode on the same chassis) were originally made for the war, and the boxer-4 engine originated from a small amphibious transport. The PS32 postwar car was based on the chassis of the WWII Trekmaster, with the same front and rear coil-sprung live axles and 32ps boxer engine. It was a simple 2-door sedan, and was a flop because of critical cooling issues. 1951 brought he PS51 4-door was nade with an upgraded versionof the 32ps boxer, pushed to 51ps. The body was a rather badly executed attempt to copy German and Czech aerocars. The car was a success. In 1952, the Jobmaster and Trekmaster became available to the general public, and in 1955, a larger van, the Workmaster with a stroked version of the PS51 engine was released, and the stroker motor became optional on the Jobmaster and Trekmaster.[/spoiler]

4 Likes

I know it’s a bit late and there’s already been several entries, but does it matter what side the driver is located on? I see that Sweden drove on the left hand side until '67, then switched to right hand drive.

Also, was there any regulations on reversing lights? I didn’t see anything mentioned. And do we require both a front and rear license plate?

1954 Moravia 850 DA "Veverka"

Moravia was founded in what would become Czechoslovakia, then part of Austria-Hungary, in 1887. They got their start building sewing machines and other such equipment for the textile industry. Over time, they began to branch out into other areas of fabrication and in 1928 introduced their first car. All production was halted in 1939 due to the occupation of German forces. After the war, the country was in need of a way of mobility for the people, so the company began work on an all new car.

Featuring a monoque steel chassis, four wheel independent suspension (McPherson struts up from, a swing arm double wishbone in the rear), and an air cooled three cylinder engine mounted in the rear. The overhead valve mill displaced 850cc making 31 horsepower and 40 pound feet of torque. Mated to a four speed manual transmission, it allowed this people’s car adequate performance and fuel economy.

Introduced in 1953 at the price of $11,000AMU, it helped the war torn country get back on it’s feet. It soon earned the nickname “Veverka”, Czech for squirrel, due to it’s adorable looks and sometimes tricky handling characteristics. Import sales of the little Moravia began the following year.

6 Likes

MY46 Tack 20F

Founded not long before WWII, Tack is a Swedish based manufacturer of cars, trucks and light aircraft.

Just after WWII, Tack debuted their first car for the general public, the 20F. This small two door sedan was designed to speedily traverse Swedish backroads and reliably take people wherever they wanted to go. The design was heavily influenced by pre-war Ardent’s and attempted to cash in on the pro USA fervour of post WWII Europe. Tack intended to export the car but realised that, other than to Norway and Finland, exports would have to wait until mainland Europe had recovered.

4 Likes

Good questions!

Because Sweden was a bit odd there. Left hand traffic was a rule from 1734. Since horses has no steering wheel it was never a trouble back then.

When cars started to appear they were for the most part american and left hand drive. Still, with the amounts of traffic back then, it was by no means troublesome.

But it more or less became a standard with left hand drive in Sweden which made for kind of an odd combination. The PV444/544, the car that really brought motoring for the masses, was never even built in a RHD version at all for example. Yet, there was still some RHD cars sold. Mainly some british cars (but not all, I had a 1962 Austin A60 and it was LHD) and I also think some variants of the VW bus.

One of the arguments against switching to right hand traffic was actually that you should not be able to see where the road ended and drive straight down the ditch. :roll_eyes:

So, generally LHD but RHD a bit more acceptable before 1967.

The other questions are more easy to answer:
Reversing lights - optional
License plate - front AND back.

4 Likes

uh oh

I’ll let it slide since I was maybe not obvious enough. Just add them in the future.

1 Like

Thanks!

Here we have the all-new, for 1955, Franklin HiWay 1500. Unlike some British manufacturers Franklin decided to offer our cars in LHD for the export market. This is the base model, of the HiWay, with the base 1500 engine.

The HiWay’s primary design is as a medium sized family car.

Our ethos is the manufacture of reliable and affordable vehicles for the modern family.

5 Likes

The 1948 Courageux Ambronay

First introduced in 1946 using a 750cc 4 cylinder engine from Couraguex’s motorcycle range this produced 28bhp@5000rpm.

Photo to show the semaphore trafficators

SCCR1_-mart1n2005-_Courageux_Ambronay_Berline_Luxe.car|attachment (108.2 KB)

9 Likes

Didn’t know that semaphores existed in Automation. They are OK in this era but I don’t know when they were outlawed, got to check that up. :face_with_monocle:

I don’t think they were ever “outlawed” just that normal indicators became a better solution in the late 50’s/early 60’s.

b e a u t i f u l

1955 HSM V8

Lore

Andreas Holtzmann was a wealthy industrialist from the town of Schaffhausen, Switzerland. An avid automobile enthusiast, he owned a successful trading company that sold various European brands, as well as a coachbuilding company contracted to a couple of manufacturers. More importantly, he founded his own auto company on the side, HSM - Holtzmann Schaffhausen Motoren - for designing & building racers that he himself often drove. At first, these were largely based on components from existing cars, and were bespoke examples that nobody outside of him or the racers he sponsored would drive. With the global economy on it’s way to recovery though, and no longer content to simply kitbash parts together, he decided to try his hand at creating his own car for sale. Given his experience in luxury brands and in racing/motorsports, and the new trend of GT cars, it was almost a given that his first creation would be a sports GT too. Thus, the HSM V8 was born.

To create the engine, he brought in an engineer associate of his as a partner, Sandro Kobelt. Both Sandro and Andreas agreed on going with a V8, hoping that such an engine would make a splash. The engine ended up being a 3.0L, flatplane V8, using the slightly more modern DAOHC system as opposed to valves; carbureted with DCOE carbs, it generated a respectable 143 hp/145 PS. Mated to a 4-speed manual, the car could hit 100 km/h in a speedy 9.5 seconds - though the gearing was quite long.

Every car was hand-made, thus no two individuals were exactly alike. It used a tubular space frame chassis - derived from HSM’s experience with racers - and a classic steel body. It came as a 2+2 coupe as standard, but a 2+2 cabriolet version was also offered. Though Andreas had wanted to create an aluminum body for the car, HSM lacked the proper tooling and it proved to be too expensive to create with his limited resources. The suspension was rather innovative, being fully independent and based on double wishbones both back and front, for better handling and a softer ride. The interior featured both a high-end radio and plush leather upholstery with wood accents as standard, aiming for an ideal balance between luxury and sportiness in this GT car.

Ultimately, it was clear early on that the HSM V8 assembly cost way too much to make any substantial profit, despite it’s high price tag ($29,990 AMU) that put it in the realm of the (also unprofitable) BMW 503 and the legendary 300SL. From 1955 to 1959, only about 256 were produced, the vast majority of them being the coupe model.

In a way though, the lack of profitability of the HSM V8 was a good thing. Immediately after it’s launch, Andreas and Sandro decided to continue their partnership and focus on designing a more manageable, mass production car. They founded the company Automobile Munot on the basis of HSM in order to market this car, which would eventually become the Helvetia.

Gallery

5 Likes

1953 Ardent 422 Deluxe Coupe

Ardent had opened the doors to importers in Scandinavia in 1948. Before the introduction of the Spanish-built Wren, choices were limited to the “traditionally American” models, such as this 400-series model.

With the V8 remaining exclusive to North America at the time, the largest motor importers were allowed was the 240 cubic inch Orion-6. This 2-door coupe featured this motor, connected to a three-on-the-tree manual, with front and rear bench seating. This particular model was also upscale, with a standard AM radio, blowout resistant tires, and full wheel covers.

5 Likes

I asked a friend that have worked with the annual safety inspection of vehicles we have here and he said that semaphores are actually OK until 1983. Since they faded away into oblivion long before that I will not care about any date there. Use common sense. Semaphores on a 1982 car is just silly.

Also, with just a little over 5 hours left, I have submissions from:
@interior
@cake_ape
@abg7
@Petakabras
@Edsel
@Tez
@AMuteCrypt
@AndiD
@conan
@BannedByAndroid
@Restomod
@Maverick74
@HighOctaneLove
@Jaimz
@Mart1n2005
@Quneitra
@VicVictory

Shout if you are forgotten. Also, 3 slots left according to the rules but since it is so close to the closing of submissions, I will accept all entries I get before the time runs out.

4 Likes

Maestrum M32 800 Manual

The 1955 Maestrum M32 is a small, RWD hatchback released in 1953 by Maestrum Motor Company England (or Maestrum for short.) Featured is the 1955 800 Manual, a relatively high-trim version of the M32. It featured a 800cc Inline 4 newly-developed for the “M” series (typically small RWD hatchbacks) that produced 27.8 horsepower, and could get 22.8 UK MPG under test conditions. This was paired to a brand new three-on-the-tree manual gearbox that allowed for relatively fast acceleration but was still easy to drive. (A two-speed automatic was also available, however it was quite outdated by the time the M32 released.)

The M32 was also known by another name: the Karuma Fruitfly, a Japanese exclusive car sold by Karuma Motor Company, a small Japanese Kei Car company. 3251 M32’s were shipped to Karuma for a small payment, where they were sold to allow for Karuma to develop new models.

The M32 was exported to Sweden during the mid '55, around 3 months after it’s release in the UK.

The M32 800 cost £472.59 when new.

More Pics

5 Likes

The 1951 Anhultz Mimas

With this post i am entering AMP Holdings (Anhultz Automobile Manufacturing) and it’s subsidiaries for this competition.
The subsidiaries include:

• Keika Automotive (bought in 1978)
  • Moover Mobility (bought in 1958)

Lore surrounding this car:
With the German invasion of the Netherlands to get around French defenses, Anhultz basically ceased any and all operations and erased any traces of them existing. The most important assets and people were moved to the eastern coast of Canada. Not much happened until 1941, at which the damage of the war was becoming increasingly clear. As such, the small remaining team started work on making a bare-bones economy car to revitalize the economy once the war is over. The prototype vehicle was done in a little over three years, at which point it went into testing and refinement until the war was over and they could move back to the Netherlands. Upon arrival, they found their factory building largely intact, but stripped of it’s contents, leaving space for new production lines. As such, in 1946, the primitive Anhultz Mimas made it to the market. Shown here is the 1951 update, featuring only few changes from the 1946 model.

5 Likes