Variable generation Focus pt.3 (2019 Ford Focus ST-Line)

So I decided to go to the snow with a group of friends yesterday. This involved driving about an hour from where I live to the highest peaks in the area situated at around 2150m above sea level, which almost certainly gets snow pretty much all winter long. Since it involved driving up, the obvious choice was to take my car up and while I was there at least get a few snaps of the car.

I didn’t get many pictures though admittedly, I was too busy admiring the views and being dumb in the snow. Also the car is dirty, I know, but I felt it was pointless cleaning the car given the amount of dirt and salt there would be on the roads. I also don’t care that I haven’t blurred out my license plate.

As you may spot in one of the pictures, this is also where a large observatory is located, so plenty of time was taken to admire this as well.

As for the views. Well, they’re just simply stunning.

The drive up was also thoroughly enjoyable. If there is one thing we take for granted in Spain is the quality of our roads. I don’t have pictures of that, but if you look for the A-1178 from Serón (Almería) to Calar Alto observatory you can clearly see from the wide sweeping bends and the fact the road is silky smooth, well maintained, and perfectly wide enough you’ll get the idea of just how much fun I was having hooning the Focus up and down the hill. Well, mostly down, with five people and their stuff going up the hill the 1.0 Ecoboost didn’t exactly feel very quick at all, in fact it felt horribly slow. It was at that point I somewhat wished I’d sat in the waiting list for the 1.5 Ecoboost instead, but it’s only the first time I’ve felt this way so…

Link to the road: Google Maps

9 Likes

Nearly one year of ownership and nearly 20,000km...

A full year of ownership and a number that is rapidly approaching 20,000km has gone by. This is more mileage than I was expecting admittedly. Circumstances changed at the beginning of the year and I am now back to doing far more commuting than what I had anticipated when I bought the car. Still, I can’t complain as nearly a year down the line the car is getting almost diesel-like fuel consumption around the 5.5l/100km (unless I actually really drive it).

So what are my thoughts after the first year? Simple. What an amazing hatchback this really is. Yes, the 1.0 Ecoboost engine is not the quickest, but the performance surprises everybody who has been in it and has driven it. I have done a 0-100 kph run just to see, and to my surprise the mid-9s are easily achievable. Everything else though is simply exceptional. It drives amazingly, it rides comfortably even on the big wheels and firm suspension, the car can be really quiet and eats up miles, it sips fuel, it is spacious, well-equipped, etc. The list honestly goes on. If anybody is in the market for a sensible family hatchback but also wants to be able to enjoy throwing it around in the bends, I highly recommend this car.

Anyway...

A friend of mine recently decided to buy a rather interesting car mid-pandemic with a crisis looming and on finance. Apart from the clear financial risk they have taken, they upgraded from a rather disappointing (their words not mine) Citroen C4 1.6 HDi to a Seat Leon Cupra. Now restrictions are being lifted in Spain we decided it would be fantastic if we head out onto the roads and took some pictures of the cars.

Thankfully where I live is a) fucking stunning, b) almost always sunny, and c) the roads are sublime. To give you an idea, well…

You want more pretty pictures of the area?

There was one other place during I drive we were supposed to stop but it was the best bit of the whole drive so we… uh… forgot. But just for your information, the road looks like this.

If you want to get an idea where we went, it was a coastal drive from San Juan de los Terreros to Carboneras within the Almería province of Spain. Have a look at the route here if you want.

Shockingly, although my car was no comparison to the Cupra along the straights, where my friend rather kindly demonstrated that them going at 50% required me to row through the gears like a madman, but through the bends the Cupra would not get away. Admittedly, they are both on equally wide sporty compound tyres and although the Leon does have independent rear suspension, my 100kg weight advantage probably ruled out most of the benefit that and all the other bits would give the Cupra.

So, without further ado, have some images. I have more but I don’t want to spam too much. I also blocked out my friend’s plate for reasons. I don’t care about mine and I’ve already put it on here anyway so it wouldn’t make any difference.

10 Likes

That must be one of the best roads you’ve ever driven on - it brings out the best in any car, including the most humble mass-market machinery, such as your Focus 1.0.

The Mk4 is sharp looking in that red. I agree, you have some stunning roads, and great timing, my Car club and I just did a back road romp also!