Video - More Engine Designer Updates

On that subject, any idea where we might be able to find out what fuels were available where at what times in history? Current info is easy, but its really hard to work out who got Unleaded, premium unleaded etc when.

Having only looked for UK based things so far I’ve only found this:

ukpia.com/fuel-prices-historic-data.aspx

Which includes this:

ukpia.com/files/pdf/ip-historical-series.pdf

It only covers the UK, but it does include prices as well which might be helpful.

I’ll have a look for others, but I suspect I’ll get bored shortly. Half an hour of concentrated effort and my mind goes…

Still, this kind of organisation should exist elsewhere and may have similarly helpful information.

Edit: It appears that other similar organisations do exist, but finding the information looks like being harder. It might be easier to contact the organisations rather than ploughing through their archives.

Very cool.

My only question about VVT is will it be tunable?

Nope, you can select valve timing for non VVT engines, but for VVT it automatically optimizes the timing for the best performance possible at all RPM (and gives you bonuses to emissions and economey, on the assumption that under light loads it goes to a more economical timing)

[quote=“Daffyflyer”]

On that subject, any idea where we might be able to find out what fuels were available where at what times in history? Current info is easy, but its really hard to work out who got Unleaded, premium unleaded etc when.[/quote]

Since 1975, ethanol was avaiable in Brazil. A percentage of it that can be found on regular petrol (as an antidetonant when lead was phased out) has varied over the time, from 10 to 25%. Currently, it has 20%.

[quote]Having only looked for UK based things so far I’ve only found this:

ukpia.com/fuel-prices-historic-data.aspx

Which includes this:

ukpia.com/files/pdf/ip-historical-series.pdf

It only covers the UK, but it does include prices as well which might be helpful.

I’ll have a look for others, but I suspect I’ll get bored shortly. Half an hour of concentrated effort and my mind goes…

Still, this kind of organisation should exist elsewhere and may have similarly helpful information.

Edit: It appears that other similar organisations do exist, but finding the information looks like being harder. It might be easier to contact the organisations rather than ploughing through their archives.[/quote]

After WW2 the same apllies to all western Europe. I don`t know about estern Europe under USSR. Nowadays is the same in Europe including estern part of Russia.

For Brazil and more about Flexfuel and ethanol,

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ethanol_fuel

And a question: Why HP and Torque are the same using regular or premium fuel.

Regards,
Bragametro.

It doesn’t make more HP or Torque, because you only make more power on premium if you run more agressive ignition timing, or up the compression ratio to take advantage of the higher octane.

Higher octane fuel doesn’t have more energy in it, it just is more resistant to knock.

Not to all western Europe, Spain is diferent… I’ll upload the info when I have some time.