Vintage Grand Prix - (OPEN)

VINTAGE GRAND PRIX

Racing 100 years ago

The 1920s is an interesting but often ignored period of racing, when most people think of vintage Grands Prix, they often think of the early years of F1. Even when talking about the interwar period, the 1930s usually take the spotlight. In this challenge we are going back 100 years, to design a 1920s vintage GP racer.

The 1924 Grand Prix season was ran under the AIACR 2-Litre rules introduced two years earlier. These had a minimum weight limit of 650kg and required a minimum of two seats (for a driver and a mechanic). After the dominance of the FIAT 805 the previous year, supercharging became more common, with manufacturers such as Sunbeam and Mercedes also using them on their Grand Prix cars.

Rules:

• Wheelbase: 2.3-2.7m
  • Front engine only
  • Solid axle leaf suspension front and rear
  • Drum brakes only
  • Must have two seats
  • Must have a white or black racing number visible from both sides
  • National colours are encouraged but not mandatory
  • I won’t look at the engineering since Automation can’t recreate 1920s cars nor open wheelers.
  • Model name: VGP - your username
  • Trim name: Car name
  • Family name: VGP - your username
  • Variant name: Free

The cars will be judged based on design, realism and historical accuracy. Feel free to give some lore on your car so I can add a bit of flavour text to the reviews.

Inspirations:

Any of the cars that raced in the 1924 GP season:

Submissions:

• Submissions open on Monday, 6th May at 00:00 CET
  • Submissions close on Sunday, 2nd June at 23:59 CET
  • You need to submit your .car file to me via forum DMs and post an ad in this thread.

Changelog:

• Solid axle leaf suspensions and drum brakes are required now
  • Link to the wikipedia page of national racing colours added
12 Likes

Here’s a list from wikipedia with examples of various national racing colours for those who are interested and for simplicity.

4 Likes

Should the suspension be all solid axle?
Did they use any other type?

I’m assuming entries should use leaf-sprung solid axles front and rear, unless we’re explicitly told otherwise.

These cars had solid axle leafs front and rear, as well as drum brakes all around. I’ll add that to the main post later.

I was also thinking of limiting engine size to 2L, but some people might want to make custom engines. Just make it look reasonable, no 28L I4s

I’ll put the link to the national colours on the main post too.

That’s kinda surprising. I’m used to cars of that era, even race cars, only having brakes on one axel.

But what if we want to do a Beast of Turin or Napier Railton style build?

Those two are land speed record cars, not Grand Prix ones.

Meet the 1924 Tungsten 143R! This poor excuse of a vehicle isn’t actually it’s fault this time! The chassis and exhaust system was poorly built by the modder, and there being absolutely ZERO open-wheel cars in the creator’s trim set, this is all he could feasibly do. This beast has 143hp(namesake, come on), but packs a punch! This freedom fighter (and probable loser) and it’s red, white, and blue tops out at 264mph! Marvel at the Bugatti Atlantic offbrand that this little buggy, for $135,000.

2 Likes
1924 Viotti Serpente

Italian Automotive company Viotti, known for making small scale vehicles for personal enjoyment, made use of the restriction of engine size to 2 litres in the Grand Prix class to create their first - and only - Grand Prix racer before the company was closed in 1936.

The Serpente - named by founder Alessio Viotti due to it’s “Serpent-like Handling Characteristics.” - found minimal success, with two cars entered into most events. Alessio’s Son, Paolo Viotti (Number 72), was one of two consistent drivers for Viotti, the other being Englishman Robert Oldwood (Number 87).

Viotti would run the Serpente would run from 1924 through to 1927 as a factory outfit, before being a privateer entry by Paolo in 1928. Following the conclusion of the 1928 season, the Serpente would be permanently retired due to poor performance.

The Serpente had a 2L inline 4, making enough power for the car to run effectively as a mid-field competitor, however it found itself a weak entrant following the year of introduction, causing Oldwood to quit the team in 1926, with a rotating cast of drivers in the second Serpente (Numbered 41) until the car was shelved as a factory outfit in 1927.

12 Likes

Out of curiosity: all 3d meshes or also some 2d over a pre-war body? It look very nice!

All 3d, only thing that isn’t is the wheels.

1 Like

If I had the time, I would have named my nonexistent entry after its handling, too, but I would have named it ‘The Brick’

Astonishing work!

In 1922, the German-Austrian Wabrun company, which used to specialize in the manufacture of agricultural machinery; unveiled their second racing car, the Type G, to the world. This car was the brainchild of the brilliant engineer Karl Weber, who dreamed of revolutionizing the automotive world. Equipped with a powerful 2.0-liter inline six-cylinder engine producing 147 horsepower and a groundbreaking aluminum body, the Type G promised to take the competition by storm.

On June 14, 1922, the Grand Prix of France took place in Lyon. Behind the wheel of the Type G was the rising race car driver, Maximilian Lang. With his unwavering belief in the car’s potential and relentless determination, Lang took to the starting line. The crowd was on edge as engines roared and the race began.

Lang had an impressive start. The Type G showcased its superior acceleration and shone in the corners with its stability. Lap after lap, Lang seemed to leave the competition further behind. The harmony between man and machine was perfect, and the dream of victory seemed within reach.

But in the 35th lap, just as Lang was speeding down the long straight, the unthinkable happened. Suddenly, the Type G lost power. The engine began to sputter, and black smoke billowed from the exhaust. Lang tried to keep the car going, but the engine gave out completely. With one final jolt, the Type G came to a halt.

The dream of victory was shattered. Lang could only watch as other drivers sped past him. In the pit lane, frantic activity ensued. Wabrun’s mechanics worked feverishly to identify and fix the problem. But it was too late. The damage was irreparable.

Maximilian Lang stepped out of his car, dejected. The Type G, which had shown so much promise, had fallen victim to engine failure. The hopes for glory and honor vanished like soap bubbles. Yet, despite this setback, there was a silver lining.

The Type G had demonstrated its immense potential in the laps it completed. Wabrun’s engineers analyzed the failure and worked tirelessly to address the weaknesses. The racing car that had dropped out in 1924 became a symbol of determination and innovation. The following year, Wabrun returned with an improved version of the Type G and secured the victory that had eluded them before.

The story of the Type G became legendary, not just because of its tragic failure, but also because of the unyielding will to realize the dream of speed and triumph.

1 Like

Ps. i tried but i sucked at 3D-Modeling. Which makes the Viotti Serpente even more impresssive!