What If? - A Community Thread

What if...

Top secret made another V12 Supra today?

Who is Top Secret, and why did they shove a V12 into a Supra?

Top Secret Co., Ltd. is a Japanese automobile tuner and parts manufacturer. The company was founded by Japanese automotive engineer and driver, Kazuhiko “Smokey” Nagata.

Smokey used to work in Trust, another well-known tuner. Eventually he left the company to create his own tuning shop: Top Secret

On one hand, Top Secret participates in motorsports such as D1GP drift championship, time attack and many others, but what they are most known for, are top speed runs.

Smokey himself participates in illegal public road high speed runs, Overseas, he infamously reached 317 km/h on British public roads, before being arrested and jailed for the night.

In 2007, he built the TS8012V Supra. The goal of the build is to go to the Nardo Test Track and break 400km/h. Top Secret being Top Secret, instead of keeping the 2JZ engine, they sourced a 1GZ-FE V12 5.0 engine from a Toyota Century. Fitted with many custom one-off parts and a pair of turbos, it now makes about 950 horsepower

The engine fills up the original engine bay completely, they have to reposition the radiators to the back of the car, similar to many drift cars today.

During the speed run at Nardo, due to overheating issues, the car “only” managed 358 km/h

Thoughts behind this build
This imaginary 2020 remake of this car is obviously, based on the new A90 supra

Because of the much smaller chassis compared to the A80 Supra, they have to manufacture a custom front subframe and custom bodywork in order to accommodate the massive V12 engine at least that’s my excuse of using the FT1 body

Since the new Toyota Century switches to a V8 Hybrid powertrain, the new engine is still 1GZ-FE based

Like the original V12 Supra, the radiator has to be repositioned to the rear. An intake duct is used to draw air from above the roof into the trunk-mounted rad.

The design uses custom headlights that differs from the base car, similar to the original “Final Evolution” A80 body kit with its vertical shaped projectors

I tried.

Gallery

Aww he brought his friend with him!

Both cars by yours truly, the local Supra simper

28 Likes

What if
:flushed:

GT-R shoting br ak

18 Likes

What if…

The Saturn Sky was a 90s sports convertible?

Although Saturn faced imminent demise in the recession of the late 2000s, they still found themselves a decent amount of success in the 90s. This (doesn’t really, but I think it) begs the question: what if the Sky was produced in the 90s to compete against the Miata and 240SX?

Welcome to the 1995 Saturn SKR. Conceived using a new longitudinal space frame platform derived from the S-Series and L-Series Saturns, the new front-engine, rear-wheel drive layout gives it a more traditional sportscar driving style. Propelling the car forward was GM’s 2.3 Liter “Quad 4” DOHC I4, with 180 horsepower being sent through a 5-speed manual and a viscous LSD. The “polymer” panels (fiberglass - who remembers when polymer was actually an option?) keeps weight low, and 0-60 could be done in under 8 seconds with an aggressive launch on the right surface. It’s probably okay to drive, although I didn’t really tune it that much. A long wheelbase and stubby proportions aren’t quite as sporty as the contemporary Sky and allows for a +2 rear seat arrangement.

Upon Closer Inspection

Saturn_SKR_-_SKR.car (57.1 KB)

32 Likes

Interesting idea, but in all likelihood it would have used Saturn’s own DOHC 1.9L. GM had a really different outlook for the Saturn brand during the 90’s and insisted that it didn’t share any of the mechanicals with the rest of GM’s lineup.

5 Likes

What if…

The Polestar 1 was conceived as a Y2K sports GT?

Volvo’s current racing division, Cyan Racing, traces its roots back to Polestar and Flash Racing, which began in 1996. Although Polestar Performance was spun off into its own electric-performance brand and Cyan Racing became the racing handle of Volvo and Lynk & Co, I envisioned what the Polestar 1 could have been, given that it was a fully-fledged Volvo product.

The rebrand would be the first thing to attack - introducing the 1998 Volvo R90. The design is heavily influenced by the 2001 S60 and 1996 C70, acting as a bridge between the two cars whilst also exaggerating the major design features that both cars exhibit. A slim front end and boxy proportions give the R90 a distinctly Swedish flair. Wide rear haunches provide an ideal base for the now-iconic 2000s Volvo taillight design. Under the revolutionary partial-carbon body is the Volvo P2 platform, debuting alongside the S80 sedan to show off the adaptability of the chassis. Powering this nearly 1500-kg piece of machinery is a 3.0 liter turbocharged inline-6 engine, boosted to produce over 400 horsepower and allowing for a 0-62 time of just over 4 seconds with a 6 speed manual transmission. The long wheelbase and slightly rear-biased AWD system gives the R90 an athletic grand touring driving experience, with stability at all speeds.

Upon Closer Inspection

Volvo_R90_-_Coupe.car (61.7 KB)

35 Likes

sorry

Hi bud, I’m glad you’re enjoying the thread! It’s true that the theme of this is “What If,” but there’s a catch; the hypothetical car in question should be a product of an IRL company. The original post mentions Apple, Lancia, and Ford as potential companies, and if you look through this thread, these vehicles are all from IRL car companies or literally based off existing car models; for example, a 90s Polestar, a sedan NSX, or a modern V12 Top Secret Supra. That’s the expectation for this forum, pal.

Your vehicle, on the other hand, looks like it’s entirely a product of your imagination and not based off any currently existing car or company. Thus, it’s better suited for a different thread; maybe you can make your own under “Sharing” and post it there? Thank you, partner!

6 Likes

hey it’s all good we all make mistakes, we’re all human

3 Likes

What if, Bugatti EB110 GT/SS But 1960s?

Presenting the not good 1961 Bugatti EB110 ST

I tried :slight_smile:

Bugatti_EB110_-_ST.car (54.3 KB)

21 Likes

What if...

The Soviets made a muscle car?...

About

The ZAvZ 3155 “Clara” is a sports car manufactured by the Zlatoustovsky Avtomobilny Zavod starting in 1968.

The car was developed alongside the GAZ-24, with slight differences in chassis and suspension design to account for sportier driving.

Powered by the same 5.5-litre OHV V8 in the GAZ-13 Chaika, it produced a blistering 220 gross horsepower (195 net), and could hit 100kph in under 10 seconds.

Staying true to the “muscle car philosophy”, not much is made for its handling ability, it was simply made to excel in one thing; go fast in a straight line.

The car’s styling was inspired by western designs such as the Dodge Coronet and Ford Mustang, with flared fenders, an aggressive front end, and other little design aspects to give the car a “muscular” look.

More images

ZAvZ_3155_Клара_-_V8.car (104.8 KB)

no detailed interior in this car this isn't a Sendo
31 Likes

Phones as Cars #2 - Samsung Galaxy Note7 (2016)

because why the fuck not ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Previous Post: Google Pixel 4 XL (2019)

https://i.imgur.com/ZATcyFO.jpg

The Galaxy Note series is a series of high-end luxury GTs created by Samsung*, a Korean automobile firm. Despite being equipped with high-end hardware like its Galaxy S series counterparts, the Note series of vehicles are always 2 door GTs as opposed to the 4 seater sedans of the S series. Often, the Note series are above the S models in model hierarchy.

* Samsung actually has an automobile making firm IRL, i.e. Renault Samsung Motors (basically a Renault and Nissan vehicle rebadger), but in this post I meant the IRL Samsung Electronics that made your phones, TVs, and other stuff. The Renault Samsung Motors logo shown on the car is just used for consistency purposes.

https://i.imgur.com/up9pOiL.jpg

The Note7 was launched in 19 August 2016 as a replacement for the outgoing Note5. With its improvements of the vehicle, including improvements to safety, improved Exynos V12 turbos, the use of the newly released Type-C fuel entrance port, and the use of an iris recognition system to help users unlock and start their vehicles easier.

https://i.imgur.com/Nw5hORE.jpg

At the first few days of its sale, reviews from many users and outlets were praising how great the car is, due to the excellent build quality, loads of features, high performance and comfort. But then, the first reports of the vehicle exploding have seen. It seems like it’s a normal phenomenon(for a product that just got on sale, at least) for what it seems, but as time goes on, more and more reports of similar incidents have begun to appear, with caused the destruction of the vehicle and some even causing injuries and deaths.

https://i.imgur.com/01yHJKj.jpg

Prelimary vehicle inspections have found out these explosions have caused by a faulty fuel tank system, which caused the fuel tank to overheat and explode. Because of that the company issued a notice for all Note 7 users to recall their devices in an attempt to fix the problem.

https://i.imgur.com/5b8posO.jpg

Despite all of the recalls, the problem still persists due to another issue that still caused explosions. It was serious enough to the point where many roads have banned the GT from being road-legal. Facing the issues, Samsung has announced the discontinuation of the Note 7 in 11 October 2016, just months after release. All vehicles are recalled again due to the incident, with some users gotten other models (specifically the S7 Edge luxury sports sedan) or a cash refund.

https://i.imgur.com/1tiLJvI.jpg

But, is the GT destined to be canned forever? Not quite. In July 2017 Samsung released a refurbished version, known as the Note Fan Edition (FE). The vehicle remains the same as in the original, but it is now equipped with a smaller, yet specially designed fuel tank to mitigate the problem. Thankfully, the refurbished model doesn’t pose a serious issue to all.

12 Likes

What if… The Renault Twingo was produced in the 80s

The basic premise with this thing is that Renault wanted a car to accompany the Renault Super 5 to create a dynamic similar to the Levin and Trueno from Toyota, however, they did not want to spend too much money on development.

The engineering is pretty simple with this one, it uses as much parts from the Renault Super 5 (the actual replacement of the 1st gen 5) as possible. This means it uses the same 1.1 C1E engine, transmission, brakes, suspension, chassis, steelies and even the rear lights of the Renault Super 5.

Not just the engineering is borrowed from the super 5 but also some of the styling cues: as mentioned as before the tail lights are ripped straight from the renault 5 but the upper grill is also the same as the 5. The rest mostly resembles the mk1 Twingo. The smug frog eyes are represented by some cute pop-ups and some blushing indicators next to the grill. The lower grill was inspired by the phase III since the psychopatic smile from the phase I looked a bit out of place. The interior is an 80-fied version of my mk1 phase III Twingo.

I plan on creating a 1.4, a GT Turbo and perhaps even a group 5 version of this cheese wedge, a Turbo I/II was also considered but not only wouldn’t that make sense with the Trueno-Levin Dynamic since the 5 Turbo I/II was already in Gr. B, but also since there’s no mid/rear engine layout.

Downloads:
Renault Twingo 1.1 Campus: Renault_Twingo_-_Mk_0_Phase_1_Campus_1_1L.car (120.4 KB)

Alpine Twingo GTA PRV: Alpine_Twingo_-_Mk_0_Phase_1_GTA.car (126.2 KB)

Renault Twingo 1.4 GTS: Renault_Twingo_-_Mk_0_Phase_1_1_4_GTS.car (122.9 KB)

Renault Twingo 1.4 GT Turbo: Renault_Twingo_-_Mk_0_Phase_1_1_4_GT_Turbo.car (178.5 KB)

18 Likes

What if … Citroen creates a true rival to the Renault Clio RS?

Especially in a retro style? A four-cylinder turbo engine of 2 liters, which will make this “baby” accelerate to 100 km / h in just 6.4 seconds? French flag right on the window line? - This is really exciting!

Admit that many people would want such a hot hatch from Citroen.

16 Likes

What if...

...the Isuzu 4200R was remade today?

the original

First revealed at the 1989 Tokyo Motor Show along with such cars as the Mitsubishi HSR-II and Jiotto Caspita, the similarly sleek Isuzu 4200R concept car embodied an unusual change of scenery from the company, which was primarily known for its commercial vehicles and small cars.

Motor1

At that time, both Isuzu and esteemed British automaker Lotus were owned by General Motors, and while Lotus had tuned a few of Isuzu’s cars in the past, the 4200R demanded a full-on collaboration between the two companies. Mounted in a mid-transverse rear-wheel drive configuration was a modified version of GM’s Lotus-designed LT5 engine (not to be confused with the modern LT5 under the hood of the Corvette C7 ZR1), a 4.2-litre all-aluminum DOHC V8. Lotus also contributed to the car’s active suspension system.

Motor1

The exterior was penned by designers from both Isuzu and Lotus, the result being a streamlined, low-slung quasi-wedge with four doors, round intakes, and a faux mono-taillight with a heckblende bearing the Isuzu wordmark. The car used a 2+2 seating layout intended for two adults and two children. Inside, a plethora of devices were at the disposal of the driver and passengers; these included a high-fidelity audio system, video cassette deck, digital instrument cluster, navigation system, and even a fax machine.

WheelsAge

Combining performance, comfort, and technology, the grand tourer that was the 4200R showed great promise in the eyes of the public, but their hopes were dashed by Isuzu’s decision to stop producing passenger cars in 1993 (with the exception of SUVs and pickup trucks). To add insult to injury, the 4200R was later dismantled, but thanks to lead designer Shiro Nakamura and Polyphony Digital head honcho Kazunori Yamauchi, it was reincarnated in digital form with the release of Gran Turismo 5 in 2010.

But the question still remains: what would a modern one look like?

Motor1

Power 289 bhp (216 bkW) (in Gran Turismo)
Displacement 4,200 cc
Drivetrain MR
Transmission 5-speed manual
Length 4,630 mm
Width 1,910 mm
Height 1,349 mm
Weight 1,500 kg (3,307 lb)

the remake

Well, I’d like to believe it would look something like this.

Drawing inspiration from not only the almost-32-year-old 4200R but also the current third-generation Isuzu D-Max, my version of a modern 4200R is an attempt to bring its radical idea of a high-tech four-door midship into the 21st century.

Given that Isuzu and General Motors are still partnered, I decided to use the Cadillac Blackwing as my engine of choice, given that it mirrors the original LT5 as an all-aluminum DOHC engine with lots of modern performance potential that GM discontinued for cost reasons. This instance of the Blackwing is also in a mid-transverse position, but the custom transaxle takes the form of a 7-speed electronically controlled automatic gearbox with paddle shifters.

I settled for the 2.8-metre-wheelbase version of the mid-engined 2008 “Tezda” body, since although it wouldn’t be as low to the ground as the original 4200R, it had decent cabin space and room for a 2+2 seating layout. From there, design cues from the original car, such as the four doors, swooping side and hood vents, low front fascia, and mono-taillight, were combined with modern Isuzu design features, such as the large grille with chrome insert, U-shaped DRL strips surrounding the projectors, and clear taillight glass. The two projectors and split indicator within each headlight, as well as the wide vent above the single centre exhaust, also serve as nods to the original car. A metallic silver paint finish and legacy Isuzu logo on the hood complete the package.

As with its predecessor, tech would once again be a strong selling point for this concept. For starters, a substitute for mirrors has been realized in the form of six cameras (three external and three internal, including an integrated 4K dash camera) that work with a myriad of sensors to keep occupants safe. The active suspension performs at its best during spirited driving, but is also able to ensure a comfortable ride. The front bucket seats are adjustable and generously padded, with screens for second-row passengers incorporated into them, and a 5G WiFi router sits within the centre console. A fully digital OLED instrument cluster and a laser HUD projector replace the pop-up screen on the original car. And on top of all of that, the new 4200R also has a “good old” active rear spoiler.

Since all of the integrated electronics would no doubt incur a weight penalty, the car uses carbon-fibre bodywork on top of an advanced high-strength steel monocoque frame. The resulting weight of 1,451 kg (3,199 lb) means it’s not the lightest thing around, but as grand tourers go, it could definitely be heavier. It also happens to be 49 kg (108 lb) down from the original car, while packing 221 more horsepower (165 kW).

All in all, this is my reimagining of the Isuzu 4200R, an unusual car born of an unusual alliance.

Power 510 bhp (380 bkW)
Displacement 4190 cc
Drivetrain MR
Transmission 7-speed electronic automatic
Length 4,420 mm
Width 1,860 mm
Height --- mm
Weight 1,451 kg (3,199 lb)

For the best experience, listen to Gran Turismo 5 or Gran Turismo 6 music while reading this.
Top image from WheelsAge

car file (74.7 KB)

19 Likes

I can imagine them as 3rd gen Celica headlights, not truely hidden popups but flushing slanted to the front until you turn them on. That would have given it some family resemblance to the 5 too.

3 Likes

so,

10 Likes

holy moly
that actually happened

so…

I decided to return to this thread :grinning:
Let’s start with the new Acura Integra 2022.

According to the new ideology of the company, the new Integra received all-wheel drive in the Type-S version and a powerful version of the K20 engine.
Now it produces 350 hp. and 465 Nm of torque. Acceleration to 100 km/h is 4.4 seconds.

3 Likes

Next is the BMW iM-Concept

This is not just a car, but a symbol of what the future of M-Motorsport will look like.
Hybrid technologies allowed to achieve 850 hp. and more than 1400 Nm.
Acceleration from 0 to 100 km/h takes less than 2.8 seconds and a top speed of 320 km/h.
At the same time, fuel consumption does not exceed 5 liters per 100 km.

What if the Skyline GT-R were still born?

2004 year. The new Nissan Skyline R35 is getting more powerful and faster (goodbye gentlemen’s agreement).
The RB26DETT would produce 350 hp. and 440 Nm of torque.
Now acceleration to 100 km/h is 4.5 seconds at a top speed of 265 km/h.
At the same time, the design is made in the style of all Skyline models. Including the rear, which refers to the body of the R31.

3 Likes